Effect of Squad Average Age on Success !

Do you ever believe that the average age of the squad influences the success? With my Napoli team, I have bunched up the experienced players with some young talents and got the success in the first season. I have been the champions at the Serie A and Italian Cup, and got to the quarter finals in the Champions League and eliminated. In the beginning of the second season my average squad age is 26.8, my oldest player is Morgan De Sanctis who is at the age of 35(still first selection) and my youngest player is Benjamin Siegrist who is at the age of 19 (another goalkeeper :thup: )

Looking forward to hearing what you think of?

My Sheffield United team have won back to back Premiership titles and a Champions League (2 runners up as well in the last 4 years) with an average age of 21.6. Majority of my players I signed at the age of 16-18 with a couple of experienced heads (25-26 year olds) to add that experience and captain the team.

Doing a save at the moment with only signing players U21, at the top level I've had to wait a bit until the core has been 22/23 but otherwise have done well with a majority teenage side at a few clubs.

Experience matters, not average age of the squad. An 18 year old with 100 games will be more developed than a 22 year old with 50 games.

Pretty much this.

My average squad age at Sunderland is only 22 because my first team is filled with academy products (my oldest player is only 29 or 30, I believe), and yet last season we had our highest league finish (4th), did well in Europe and won the FA Cup. In the 8 seasons i've been with Sunderland i've only made 4 changes to my starting 11 since my first summer window, I believe the longer a squad is held together and the more settled they are, the more consistent your results will be.

A team made of let's say 150CA&PA 22 year-olds can play as well as a team made of 150CA&PA 29 year-olds and the other way around. Any difference beside that you can use 22 year olds a couple of seasons longer.

I've noticed that players with the same ca whom are in their prime eg. 30yr old vs 18 yr old have much better stats mentally. It can make a positive difference. Unless your youngster is superb mentally otherwise a good decision stat which older players tend to have and can't be trained makes a world of difference imo.

I strongly agree with CaptainPlanet. You cannot win anything with the Kids...

The video he linked to was where Alan Hansen said, "you can't win anything with kids", and then the Man Utd team he was talking about went on to win the Premier League title. So it's very possible CaptainPlanet actually believes the opposite of what you thought you were agreeing with.

In my opinion, age doesn't matter in the game.

The video he linked to was where Alan Hansen said, "you can't win anything with kids", and then the Man Utd team he was talking about went on to win the Premier League title. So it's very possible CaptainPlanet actually believes the opposite of what you thought you were agreeing with.

In my opinion, age doesn't matter in the game.

thank you for the explanation.:applause: IRL I believe the average age of the squad does matter the success of the team. But in game, comments about the personality seems to be the most logical I think.

I've noticed that players with the same ca whom are in their prime eg. 30yr old vs 18 yr old have much better stats mentally. It can make a positive difference. Unless your youngster is superb mentally otherwise a good decision stat which older players tend to have and can't be trained makes a world of difference imo.

But the way the game is geared, a world class potential youth usually needs strong mental stats to reach his potential. So if you're investing in youth as a top club there's no sense keeping the older players when their legs go, at least if you've invested in the world class potential youths.

That'll never change until you can reach the top potential with crappy stats (see Balotelli...)

The issue with the game is that young players progress mentally, physically, and technically at an equal pace, so it is very possible to have a world beating side with an average age of 21. In real life, players are technically and physically gifted at a young age. The mental side of the game progresses at a slower pace for a majority of players. Specifically decision making, anticipation, influence, and teamwork. Some of these things are tied to game experience (decision making). Some being in a squad for a time (anticipation, influence, and teamwork)

I suppose in theory it could make a difference if many of your young players have low hidden stats like consistency, or whether they like playing in big matches, however, having said that I am yet to actually encounter really significant problems by having young squads. In my current career save with Athletic Club Bilbao I've won the treble with a squad who's average age is just 21. As the saying goes, "if you're good enough, you're old enough".

There are the hidden stats. Most importantly consistency. I have a feeling that it develops just like the visible stats do.

That would certainly make a difference.

I can't see why age itself would have been factored in into the match engine.

Archived