Football Manager: The 80's Era

I have been interested in being able to manage a football club during the 1980's era, and was wondering if anyone else here would be willing to pay for a Football Manager game set in the 1980's developed by SI. I realize it would be as big as a development cycle as the current iterations of the great simulation we all love, and then of course there would be the problem of how and who rates the players etc.

But just in a general sense, Would people be willing to pay for these type of flashback era simulations?

It's been discussed on a number of occasions. But due to licensing issues iirc, it wouldn't be possible. There would be rating issues and other factors as well. Total_Chaos is right in that there have been attempts at recreating past databases. But due to the amount of work that is involved in trying to get the databases to a a decent level, they're usually stopped a few weeks after they've been started.

Would I pay for an up to date 80s/90s or older version? I certainly would.

It's been discussed on a number of occasions. But due to licensing issues iirc, it wouldn't be possible. There would be rating issues and other factors as well. Total_Chaos is right in that there have been attempts at recreating past databases. But due to the amount of work that is involved in trying to get the databases to a a decent level, they're usually stopped a few weeks after they've been started.

Would I pay for an up to date 80s/90s or older version? I certainly would.

What nonsense. SI havent the 'license' to the EPL yet still use the players.

What nonsense. SI havent the 'license' to the EPL yet still use the players.

Im afraid its not nonsense. They are allowed to use current players under terms of license. I believe to use historic players they would have to get the ok from every player individually, which could be both expensive and time consuming.

Im afraid its not nonsense. They are allowed to use current players under terms of license. I believe to use historic players they would have to get the ok from every player individually, which could be both expensive and time consuming.

Plus the players that have also sadly passed away, which would be hard for family members and friends and fans.

I'd love a game like that. Would be great to pick out Ian Rush for Everton before he moves to them lot. Imaging breaking the British Transfer Record for a Van Basten? Playing European Cup games in the 1st round away to some eastern european team, becoming England manager and picking players like Lineker, Robson and... Dean Coney.

I'd probably just buy the 80s series rather than the FM13,14,etc.

I wouldn't pay for it.

The 80s are in the past so I already know what happened, it would be too predictable knowing which players are going to be good and that tiny Maradona will outjump the giant Shilton to score 'that' goal.

Also, I much prefer to change the future of my club rather than the past.

I wouldn't pay for it.

The 80s are in the past so I already know what happened, it would be too predictable knowing which players are going to be good and that tiny Maradona will outjump the giant Shilton to score 'that' goal.

Must have been a bug. Report it.

It would certainly be interesting.

No bosman rule, no transfer windows, lots of old rules still in place.

Likely even the ME needs to be touched as otherwise the old tactics would be easy to counter with modern ones. Or think of the backpass rule...

I would probably even consider buying it, especially as it would be one standalone thing which would not need yearly sequels for obvious reasons.

But looking at the necessary changes in the ME and the residual code and the required amount of research, I fear it won't happen.

Archived