Will I ever win Champions League?

I've managed to get to the finals 3 times with Inter and lost every time...I wanna break my computer and kill Mourinho.

1st year I played Real Madrid and lost 2-1 and they were better and deserved it...

2nd year out in the most stupid way against Porto in the knockout stages.They scored a 95th minute goal to win on away goals.It was also the only chance they got all game...It wasn't even a chance.

3rd year again Real and I was up 2-0 until 75th minute when they got one back.It was 92 minutes and there was one more minute to play.I sub out a striker for a defender and now I'm playing 5-3-2 and they score before the changes were made and ofcourse just as they score there goes the final whistle.Now I have to go to extra time with 5-3-2 and no one even had a chance for 30 minutes ad it went to penalties.I missed two winning penalties and lost....

4th year I got eliminated in the group stages...

5th year final again vs Barcelona....Awesome game but I lost 5-4.

Now am thinking about committing suicide if I don't win it this year...Any tactical suggestions?In the early years I was playing defensive football and now I play possession football...

Wow you've just been REALLY unlucky. My advice is go with what has been working to get you to the final. If you keep getting there, your team/squad is good enough for the most part. Make sure you have as strong a squad as possible as well because I find a starter or 2 always gets injured before a final.

Join the club! 0 out of 3 is also my champions league final record. Of course that was back in FM 07, before I turned into a LLM. Got there twice with Fiorentina and once with Juventus. Lost out twice to Barcelona and once to Arsenal :(

One of the games featured Van Der Vaart (for Barca) hitting a first-time, 93rd-minute, 45-yard screamer with his first touch after coming on to equalize, sending the game into extra time. Sadly I am not exaggerating. It is possibly the greatest goal ever scored against me.

An aging Eto'o finished me off.

What can you do eh?

5/6 wins for me on Man Utd save (no real acomplishment there!). But I've had saves like yours in the past where I have consistently got to Semis and Finals and just can't win it!

But if you have a club that can get to 3 finals, and then go out in the group stages? Maybe your just flooding the squad with too many new players or selling too many players and disrupting the squad in these seasons, because if u can make the final 3 times in 5 years and then get knocked out, I think thats pretty poor..

First year got knocked out in the group stages as Arsenal, and only lasted a game or two in the Euro cup. Completely embarrassing. Had to win the league on the last day of the season by hoping Man City lost.

Second year won the champions league by beating Real Madrid and having a thrilling semi with United, losing the first leg 3-1 at home and giving myself no chance, just to be 2-0 up away with 2 minutes to go and think sod it I'm going all out for the third and getting it a minute before the end of injury time!! Most satisfying FM moment ever(and possibly ever on any game, just wish it happened to United more often). Completed the treble. Bloody inconsistent team though, week before had to beat Newcastle on penalties in the FA cup final and they're only a championship team. Same team, same tactics, and it's going to drive me bloody mental if I lose to Forest again!

I also have a terrible CL final record in my current Liverpool save, in 10 seasons I made it to 5 finals and have only won one. They also included a 4-0 hammering by Arsenal, a 5-2 loss against Barcelona and another 4-0 loss against Barcelona, in both finals against Barcelona I conceced 3 goals in the first 10 minutes, this is the only thing that has ever made me question the integrity of the game conspiring against me.

I share your pain almost. I've been knocked out twice by Barcelona at the Semi's with Roma. First year I was soundly beaten, the 2nd season I had possibly the greatest tie I've ever been part of in FM.

Was down 3-0 at half time in the away leg. Brought it back to 3-3, then they scored, before I scored a 2nd equaliser, making it 4-4. Was incredibly happy with that comeback, never been prouder of my team. Then played the home leg. Scored first, and held the lead till after half time, when they struck twice. I then got another equaliser, making it 6-6, with me leading on away goals. Was clinging on, Adler was palying a blinder in goal. But then Messi got his head to the ball in the 6 yard box and took the lead. Krancjar then missed an open goal in the 89th minute, and we lost the game. Incredible tie. Can't be too upset with it. Will just have to win it again this year. Made some changes, I think I've got their number, if we'd started the tie in the 2nd half of the 1st game, after my tactical re-shuffle, we'd have won.

Here's some screenies...I got mixed up a bit obviously :)

This is the first year where I played very defensive tactics,Inter played great with those tactics because the players are really suited for it at Inter....I lost 0-1 not 2-1 as i thought.

i445g9.jpg

This one is actually 4 seasons later,not 2 as I thought.Here I played attacking football and been better however Marcelo disagreed with that in 93rd minute...Lost on penalties later.

29c000y.jpg

And the goal fest vs Barcelona,I played fantastic but every shot Messi did went in.Iniesta scored from like 40 meters out and Neymar had a clumsy shot go in...

2j2yd0j.jpg

I outplayed them but no use...I'm cursed.

Well, the thing is that when playing against the really big teams in a cup final, that is the only time CA/PA/Rep really makes a difference. In my experience, most other matches during the season you could probably let 2-3 teenagers play and they will score and do well, and you'd have some players that aren't considered such huge stars but performs better than any big-name player you could think of. In the CL final, those players will show to the world that they aren't really that good, and underperforming superstars at Real Madrid will show you what a real quality player looks like.

You need players with high big-match hidden stats, and you need to muster as many Leading Serie A players as possible.

Edit: if you have only big stars, it is either the tactic, the team talk or both ;)

Well, the thing is that when playing against the really big teams in a cup final, that is the only time CA/PA/Rep really makes a difference. In my experience, most other matches during the season you could probably let 2-3 teenagers play and they will score and do well, and you'd have some players that aren't considered such huge stars but performs better than any big-name player you could think of. In the CL final, those players will show to the world that they aren't really that good, and underperforming superstars at Real Madrid will show you what a real quality player looks like.

You need players with high big-match hidden stats, and you need to muster as many Leading Serie A players as possible.

Edit: if you have only big stars, it is either the tactic, the team talk or both ;)

But they are hidden,how am I to know?

Here's my line-up that I will be chasing the CL this year...I don't know what their CA/PA are...

GK - Alphonse Areola / Julio Cesar

DR - Davide Santon / Mauricio Isla

DCR - Andrea Ranocchia / Leonel Galeano

DCL - Salvatore Bocchetti / Diego Polenta

DL - Fabio Coentrao / Alessandro

MCR - Lucas Leiva / Antonio Nocerino

MCL - Riccardo Montolivo / Andrea Poli

AMC - Wesley Sneijder / Coutinho

AMR - Alexis Sanchez / Goran Pandev

AML - Willian / Adam Johnson

STC - Sergio Aguero / Mattia Destro

It's 2016/2017 season...

EDIT: Only players I really paid for were Sanchez (22.5) and Aguero (45),I guess that what you mean by stars.Rest were free transfers (Willian & Lucas Leiva) and others from 5-15 million...I like to keep finances tight,I usually earn more than spend in transfer windows except when I signed Aguero.

Well at least you are getting to the final. Last season I got thrown out after 2 wrongly disallowed goals in the quarterfinal against Barcelona and this season it seems I'm getting knocked out in the first knockout round against Liverpool down 2-3 after my home game, had one wrongly disallowed goal and got denied a crystal clear penalty and gave up two very late goals.

well you're doing well still. It took me... 20 years before i did it. Lost in a semi final in 2012 with newcastle. Lost in the final in 2015. Then with Valencia i lost in the final twice in 2017 and 2019. Then with groningen, got knocked out of the semi finals 3 times, not to mention 1 year conceding a last away goal in the final minute to get knocked out, before in 2030 winning it with them.

I subsequently lost 2 europa league finals with liverpool and parma over the next 10 years.

But they are hidden,how am I to know?

Here's my line-up that I will be chasing the CL this year...I don't know what their CA/PA are...

GK - Alphonse Areola / Julio Cesar

DR - Davide Santon / Mauricio Isla

DCR - Andrea Ranocchia / Leonel Galeano

DCL - Salvatore Bocchetti / Diego Polenta

DL - Fabio Coentrao / Alessandro

MCR - Lucas Leiva / Antonio Nocerino

MCL - Riccardo Montolivo / Andrea Poli

AMC - Wesley Sneijder / Coutinho

AMR - Alexis Sanchez / Goran Pandev

AML - Willian / Adam Johnson

STC - Sergio Aguero / Mattia Destro

It's 2016/2017 season...

EDIT: Only players I really paid for were Sanchez (22.5) and Aguero (45),I guess that what you mean by stars.Rest were free transfers (Willian & Lucas Leiva) and others from 5-15 million...I like to keep finances tight,I usually earn more than spend in transfer windows except when I signed Aguero.

The pressure stat is hidden, most of the others appear through player personality in the assistant report screen, and CA/PA/Rep appears as stars and a short description there as well.

Your players should have this description:

* A Determined/ambitious/professional squad and xxx fits in well with the lads

* A (fairly) consistent performer

* A player who enjoys/relishes the big matches

* Curent ability: Good player for most Serie A sides, or A leading star for most Serie A sides

By the look of your setup, it seems like this shouldn't really be a problem for you. It is more likely a matter of nervousness/complacency or the tactic.

Archived