A little suggestion for FM2009 Editor

Txini

Yeah it's still lots of time for FM2009, but well trying to modify or create leagues make me think, why not SI makes it possible to create your own leagues or modify existing ones, so if an editor wanna create The League of Pakistan he can do or if someone wanna delete all English, Scottish, Welsh and North Irish Leagues and create a BrittishLeague with all their teams can...

Well in other games you can do and is possibly the only thing that other games have better than FM...

Just an idea, hope you like icon_razz.gif

Yeah it's still lots of time for FM2009, but well trying to modify or create leagues make me think, why not SI makes it possible to create your own leagues or modify existing ones, so if an editor wanna create The League of Pakistan he can do or if someone wanna delete all English, Scottish, Welsh and North Irish Leagues and create a BrittishLeague with all their teams can...

Well in other games you can do and is possibly the only thing that other games have better than FM...

Just an idea, hope you like icon_razz.gif

I do agree with this. Even if its just a few empty leagues templates created, for the user to place whatever teams they like into. What I mean is the number of teams, cup competitions are set, as well as dates but the team and country data is left blank.

Would have simple things, like:

-Number of Directly Relegated Teams

-Number of Teams that plays promotion, promotion shoud need to be setted as can be play off, league, by group or free or challenge game(superior league team vs inferior)

-Number of Directly Promoted Teams

-Points per Win(2 or 3)

-Number of Yellow Cards to be punished

-Number of Yellow Cards to second punishment(0, -1, 0 is same, -N is number of yellows less to be punished..)

-Superior Division(if exists)

-Inferior Division(if exists)

-Playable League(tick to make it playable, untick for it not to be)

-Start Date(game calculates next schedules, 1 each weekend, cup during week, christmass stop...)

-Summer Market Dates

-Winter Market Dates

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Txini:

Would have simple things, like:

-Number of Directly Relegated Teams

-Number of Teams that plays promotion, promotion shoud need to be setted as can be play off, league, by group or free or challenge game(superior league team vs inferior)

-Number of Directly Promoted Teams

-Points per Win(2 or 3)

-Number of Yellow Cards to be punished

-Number of Yellow Cards to second punishment(0, -1, 0 is same, -N is number of yellows less to be punished..)

-Superior Division(if exists)

-Inferior Division(if exists)

-Playable League(tick to make it playable, untick for it not to be)

-Start Date(game calculates next schedules, 1 each weekend, cup during week, christmass stop...)

-Summer Market Dates

-Winter Market Dates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the best ideas i have ever heard.Please please SI take this in to account we know it will be a hard task for you but it will easily pay off icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

I doubt this would ever be included in the data editor as it wouldn't really make sense to have it there unless all the rule group information was to be moved into the database, which I'm not sure would be a good idea or not.

The rule groups in the game are a sensitive area and have to be treated with a lot of care and attention. It's very easy to break something and screw up the entire game if you aren't careful.

Hopefully one day the ability to edit / add your own will be possible. It's something I've wanted to be able to do for years. I want to add the Scottish Highland League and the San Marino leagues to my games. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It wont happen

This is a nice fairytale but thats all it is. It won't happen. A lot of work for something that won't sell games so SI wont do it...they are a business after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think having the ability to edit / create your own leagues and competitions would be a big selling point. Why wouldn't it be?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A major impediment to doing this would be that the official licenses are required from the various leagues to include their intellectual property in the game. Hence, without the support of the federations this will not happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would that be an issue? We provide the game as is and whatever people do to customise / edit it is nothing to do with us.

I have based my reply off information i read on FM Australia & New Zealand Research Forum. There was a discussion on there, which i can't find at the moment in relation to the presence of fake teams Wollongong United and Townsville FC in FM06. The gist of it was that expansion couldn't be included due to feedback from the FFA and A-League administrators. Hence, i assumed, that some federations would object to their leagues being able to be chopped and changed so readily.

• SI Staff

Yeah, our licenses (usually) only cover the current season, so we're not able to include things like teams joining divisions after a season as the license wouldn't cover the new team.

It's the same in the MLS where we couldn't add the San Jose Earthquakes in FM 2008 and we probably can't have the Seattle team joining the MLS in FM2009.

That doesn't mean that people can't edit their game to swap the Earthquakes with the Kansas City Wizards or something like that. It would be the same for people editing league structures if there was a way to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It wont happen

This is a nice fairytale but thats all it is. It won't happen. A lot of work for something that won't sell games so SI wont do it...they are a business after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think having the ability to edit / create your own leagues and competitions would be a big selling point. Why wouldn't it be?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it would be a bit of a selling point but if the resources were used for adding more features or fixing more bugs in the main game I am sure that would sell more. Personally I would rather have the editing and adding leagues but like I said, adding more features to the game will sell more then league editing will.

I still like the idea of having several generic blank league systems. Like the normal ones, but by default they have no teams/nation, which you can just shove teams into to make your own super league or whatever.

One could maybe have 3 divisions of 20(with an unplayable "lower division" with a minimum of 68(so the cup is 128 teams) teams) that has a cup and maybe a league cup and/orcharity shield. Another what might be 2 divisions of 16 etc.

im guessing by rule groups you are talking about the rules for each league? if this is the case, then why not pick a set of rules for your created league from a list of options? e.g. you create a league, and give it english rules, 3 points for a win, 5 bookings for a ban etc.

What Dave suggested is what I meant in my post above, but Dave made more sense and more detail than I did.

A league system they could use for this is the Japanese set up. We all know that they can't use Japanese teams in the game due to license issues, but that shouldn't but a holt to using the set up and cup layout as a generic base for another league can it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Fairbairn:

I'd like to take the credit, but it was someone else's idea when we were discussing this at the time after FM06 come out. Can't remember who it was so I can't give proper credit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

When i used to play EA's management game, what gave it so much replay value was the fact that the editor was so powerful. You could create league systems, set up TV money, cups (using one of ten Cup templates, English, German, etc. And if you knew how to edit the text files directly, you could make any template you wanted!).

Come on SI...if we are editing the database and adding leagues, we are essentially throwing away the realism anyway, aren't we? So we don't care if the new leagues aren't entirely realistic!!! Just to be able to play as any club in Africa would make so many people much happier than being restricted to one country.

We don't need complex rules. Just let us pick the number of teams, how many times they play each other, and how many get relegated (and maybe a playoff based on a template, like English, Austrian, etc). The Editors' Hideaway will love you, and we will all promise to buy two copies of the game next year (which i did in fact do for the EA game...i bought three because of disc wear!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it would be a bit of a selling point but if the resources were used for adding more features or fixing more bugs in the main game I am sure that would sell more. Personally I would rather have the editing and adding leagues but like I said, adding more features to the game will sell more then league editing will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This particular addition to the game would allow the end user to make his/her own additions to the game. It only needs to be done once, whereas bug fixes and "pretty" new features must be done up every year.

I hope SI's employees don't consider themselves so skint that they are worried about which minor features will sell 67 more games. At what point did the end user's happiness disappear from the game creation process? If enough people want a feature, perhaps SI should put someone on it for a week or two, at the very least, to see how it goes.

It can't be a licensing issue, because the EA management game has this exact feature, and no one seems to be suing them over it.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If enough people want a feature, perhaps SI should put someone on it for a week or two, at the very least, to see how it goes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a lot more than a couple of weeks work that's for sure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If enough people want a feature, perhaps SI should put someone on it for a week or two, at the very least, to see how it goes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a lot more than a couple of weeks work that's for sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah this would actually be a fair bit of work from how I see it and it would be equal to adding a major feature in the game and thats why I doubt SI will do it. However this and a proper international management overhaul would be my 2 favourite possible new features for FM09.

so basically, we wont be able to 'expand' a division? i've always likes the idea of making the Scottish Third Division into 12 teams, which would include Arbroath Victoria and a made-up team done by me.

the reason I'm a little baffled as to why it can't be done is that some person managed to 'expand' the Hyundi A-League with hardly any problems and that all he had to sacrifise was a cup competition. I certainly woudln't mind sacrfising the Scottish Challenge Cup for a 12-team Third Division!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I think having the ability to edit / create your own leagues and competitions would be a big selling point.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I do think you guys should put a little more effort into it; judging by the number of people going into a lot of work to do some "new leagues" in these forums, if it could be done more easily, I guess soon enough we'd have every other world league available to everyone. icon_smile.gif

I certainly would spend a lot of time giving a hand on that.

Cheers for the answers Ter, remember to give the big guys the word from us. icon_wink.gif

It's a lot more than a couple of weeks work that's for sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, get to it then..what are we paying you for? icon_biggrin.gif

(it's a joke, by the way)

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I agree. I do think you guys should put a little more effort into it; judging by the number of people going into a lot of work to do some "new leagues" in these forums, if it could be done more easily, I guess soon enough we'd have every other world league available to everyone. Smile

I certainly would spend a lot of time giving a hand on that.

Cheers for the answers Ter, remember to give the big guys the word from us. Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's what I would like to see as well. Would be great to have leagues from all over the world to choose from. Would improve the longevity of the game as well if there were extra leagues to download. icon14.gif

It's not about putting more effort in. Coding the rule groups each version takes a long time and such a feature would need to be planned and implemented early so that there is time to code all the competitions in the game. I would imagine it would be a massive, massive task.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, get to it then..what are we paying you for? Big Grin

(it's a joke, by the way) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I was able to do such a thing then I would love to icon_wink.gif

maybe a wizard could work, something that could set it all up for you, for example, say you wanted to switch the english league with the bulgarian, then the wizard would first of all take out all the english teams for you and then league by league you could put in the bulgarian teams. then the wizard would ask you whether you wanted last postions to be set automatically by reputation, or whether you want to do it manually. Then you would go through the bulgarian leagues one by one and place english teams there. The wizard could then change nationalities of the competitions and delete all history (as much as possible so that the cups still worked) and generally set up the game so that it would work for you. Not necessarily an addition to the editor but i think it could work. Wizard could also be made for adding leagues below where is already playable, for instance below Scottish Third Division, the wizard would take out all leagues below that (while still keeping the teams active for cups and so on.) Then one by one you could make new leagues to go below where is playable and set up promotions, relegations and league rules. Then place teams in those leagues. All the Scottish teams who weren't used could be placed in "A Lower Division" and therefore still be useable for the cups. My last idea is maybe there could be a wizard for switching teams between leagues, e.g. Man Utd and Rangers, but this isn't nearly as hard as league swapping so might not be needed.

• 4 weeks later...

On the templates and what not, especially the rules system, instead of putting in the editor, why not do like they do (did) in OOTP Baseball and make it part of the game. Set up the rules with only a certain number of options for each rule, drop down menus would be great here and for the leagues, allow the number of teams to be chosen and let the game do the work for you.

I do understand it would be a lot of work and 09 might be out of the question, but possibly, if it was to be done as an add on, even could be sold as an upgrade once the work was done, I for sure would be willing to pay for it.

Thanks Ter for responding man, at least someone is listening and someday, maybe all will and it will happen.

Peace

Editing and creating leagues would be sweat thing to be added to the FM franchise.

As was mention by Ter, that creating from scratch can be huge task to undertake, I suggest in putting the edit bit. The rules basically are the same in the case of people just want to add more teams to the league or leagues.

I personally would like to have Bwin Liga (portugal) to have 20 teams.

In overall creation and edit leagues, would be the greatest addition to FM

• 2 weeks later...

I have allready suggested a similar thing a few years ago. And I am still hoping for it to come.

Why stop at the leagues? We could also hope for a cup creating system, like there is in PES or Fifa.

I wish Fm editor looked like the one in FIFA MANAGER 08. You can edit almost everything in that editor. It's perfect.

I've been wondering for years what is the problem for SI to enable editing such things like leagues bonuses, sponsorship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arminio:

I wish Fm editor looked like the one in FIFA MANAGER 08. You can edit almost everything in that editor. It's perfect.

I've been wondering for years what is the problem for SI to enable editing such things like leagues bonuses, sponsorship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because thats how they started out when they changed the database structure for CM4 and they haven't had any reason to change it. I really hope we are given more editability for FM09 but I dont see us being able to fully edit competitions for a long time because the editing is only going to be a big thing for us who already buy the game, if the resources where used for a major feature in the game then this is more of a selling point for new consumers. I would prefer the editing but I am just being realistic.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arminio:

I've been wondering for years what is the problem for SI to enable editing such things like leagues bonuses, sponsorship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is.... FM is so far ahead of the rest that it doesn't need to do too much with the editor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Because thats how they started out when they changed the database structure for CM4 and they haven't had any reason to change it. I really hope we are given more editability for FM09 but I dont see us being able to fully edit competitions for a long time because the editing is only going to be a big thing for us who already buy the game, if the resources where used for a major feature in the game then this is more of a selling point for new consumers. I would prefer the editing but I am just being realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally correct.

Us that use the editor have been playing FM since it was still champman. and as such, the editor feature wouldn't attract new buyers of the game.

If you look at all industries, existing customers are not as important as new ones.

It's sad but true... if we want FM to keep getting better then we have to accept that SI will have to put selling to new buyers first rather than doing very costly work for the addicts who will buy the game anyway (like us).

I would love a generic blank 2 playable league system of 24 teams, 3 prom, 3 reg and no fancy rules with a league below to promote/relegate. The only prob is a lot of people want variety. I can see doing one would be easy but only save a little time, get boring after a while and not suit everyone.

Still isnt it fun doing things the way they are? at least it gives good variety.

Good luck SI whatever path you choose on this subject and may it appear in 2010 or after, we can only hope!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimmyIOCS:

I would absolutely love it if you could, and I hope SI plan to incorporate that into future versions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great plan, I hope SI makes it possible. Then is has to be possible to, to create playable amateurleagues. In Holland over a few years amateurs can promote to professional soccer. I hope they make it possible, to couple a lower league to the excisting leagues.

THAT is a good idea but those crap pushers from SI will never listen to general public and its ideas. Cant wait for someone to make a different soccer manager which would be better than FM, with more options.

DOWN WITH SI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slammerinho:

THAT is a good idea but those crap pushers from SI will never listen to general public and its ideas. Cant wait for someone to make a different soccer manager which would be better than FM, with more options.

DOWN WITH SI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WhaT AN IDIOT icon_mad.gif

Look at all the responses SI's Ter has made on this very thread icon_rolleyes.gif

This is the very issue I've been pressing for for some time, so icon14.gif, gets my support.

I would suggest having slots for created leagues. And having the possibility of connecting them to existing leagues like being able to create or open up the leagues below the BSN/S. Or even be able to make changes to an existing league to make it have relegations like the Scottish Third Division.

Not even sure if that is possible as I avoid using the editor because know my luck, I'll screw something up and won't know how to fix it.

One thing could be very very useful, but it would mean re-thinks all the db system.

SI's DB is always perfect for UK leagues, while DBs from italian forum are good for italy, french one for france and so on.

It would be great to create a system to take a part of a db and add it to your db. (take all french staff from a french forum db, italian team from the italian one..)

I know it's a terribly difficult feature, just and idea.

Something like the ability to add a custom league would have been a godsend for someone like me who's had to completely decimate a country to create his own league system of teams and a new nation.

The rules I imagine could be plucked from other leagues, it would just be incredibly awesome to create a new country (without having to delete/replace an existing one) and have the nation and its leagues compete in the European competitions like in my experiment.

I really hope this is one day introduced, even if it makes the interest in my creation disappear completely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I really hope this is one day introduced, even if it makes the interest in my creation disappear completely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would it? People would still need to create the new leagues, it just wouldn't be as hard as it is today. The interest would still be big. Just like at TCM and FIFA Manager, there's hundreds of downloads out there for edited stuff.

I want like to see the ability to duplicate people.

For example, I want to create a team of superman. Rather than me creating all 22 of them individually (setting all the various attribute), let me set them once, and then clone for the other 21 players.

Archived