I know this will no doubt be greeted with derision, but...

...for the first time EVER, I won't be buying the new FM. It's got to the point where it's so far beyond being remotely fun, it's a chore. The thing that really gets me is the fact that everything about this game is great; the presentation, the features etc. but it's just too hard, simple as that. Perhaps I don't understand football enough to play it any more, I don't know... just really disappointed, to be honest. Any game that requires more effort than an Open University assignment to enjoy is not really a game to me.

I think it is a balance between realism and playability.

To be honest I think FM10 with the tactics creator has probably made things a bit easier for people to enable them to get quicker into the game without huge tactical nous.

I haven't found FM10 that hard at all........I haven't downloaded the FM11 demo so I'm unsure if that is what you are referring to above.

The thing about Football Manager, like any sandbox game, is that you set your own goals.

If you are attempting something that you cannot do, you either look for another way to do it (there are many strategies you can try, whether you're going for short-term or long-term success) - or, you lower your goals to something you believe you can attain.

There's no 'winning' or 'losing', other than setting challenges for yourself. You set the rules, you set the parameters.

Yeah, I tend to be fairly economical - nearly all my posts a whinges of some description or other! I just really wish I could feel like I could buy the game and not feel like my £30 was wasted. The fact that other people don't appear to find it hideously difficult is probably the most frustrating thing of all.

I'm more amused by your 1 post per year ratio, it's really quite impressive :)

Maybe he's too busy playing FM! :)

Only ever persisted with FM2008 and perhaps the break will do you good. Me? Im looking forward to purchasing FM2011 and will have two editions worth of new features to take in so really looking forward to it. FM2008 and indeed earlier games in the series were difficult and at times nigh on impossible but you know what, i prefer this to winning every game. FM2008 was a marvel in that I won the league but the season after i struggled to finish 2nd and then after that finished 5th! So Im looking forward to similar toughness for FM2011.

This is why I worry about things like backroom advice and things of this ilk which will potentially make the game easier.

...for the first time EVER, I won't be buying the new FM. It's got to the point where it's so far beyond being remotely fun, it's a chore. The thing that really gets me is the fact that everything about this game is great; the presentation, the features etc. but it's just too hard, simple as that. Perhaps I don't understand football enough to play it any more, I don't know... just really disappointed, to be honest. Any game that requires more effort than an Open University assignment to enjoy is not really a game to me.

The games going in a different direction to that which you would like. Nothing wrong with that. There are alot of toes of games I don't like. RTS games for one. Bore the hell out of me.

I have a feeling the agents ridiculous demands will make buying players seem like a real chore. I havent tried the demo so I hope Im wrong.

So if you haven't played the demo, what are you basing your "feeling" on? I tried it and was impressed that when I offered significantly less than what the agent wanted the player signed, whilst another agent wouldn't budge.

I have a feeling the agents ridiculous demands will make buying players seem like a real chore. I havent tried the demo so I hope Im wrong.

I think the problem a lot of people will have is that it looks like a fair bit of effort and attention will need to go into our transfers now. The days of one bid and then one offered contract are well and truly gone, which I know some people will not like.

So if you haven't played the demo, what are you basing your "feeling" on? I tried it and was impressed that when I offered significantly less than what the agent wanted the player signed, whilst another agent wouldn't budge.

Agents wanting fees that are bigger than the transfer fee, agents wanting £10-15m and the fact that nearly all new features in FM dont work as they should.

I think the problem a lot of people will have is that it looks like a fair bit of effort and attention will need to go into our transfers now. The days of one bid and then one offered contract are well and truly gone, which I know some people will not like.

Which is why I think it will be a chore for anyone not at a top 10 club in the world. Especially if its lower/non league players coming up with stupid demands ruining any chance of them advancing their career.

I have to say that after playing the demo i can't wait to play the full game. From the little time i have been playing i don't think the game is really hard if you play with the best teams, me myself when the game comes out i set out a challenge for myself that is managed SLBENFICA and try to make the Portuguese league the best in the world with the added rule that i will only buy under 21 players cos in my opinion the game is not hard enough lol. one day i might try the LLM challenge but not until the next patch after this first one.Anyway the game is btter than ecer.

Having seen a bunch of the posters on this forum, i think it's "negotiation" and the concept of "give and take" that most of them have a problem with.

Any game that requires more effort than an Open University assignment to enjoy is not really a game to me.

I'm sorry to say for you but I tend to read, watch TV, study, play other games, help around the house, chat with other people wile playing FM... and I'm enjoying it. :)

I think the agent thing has been blown out of proportion as if every deal in the game is more than the transfer fee. I honestly haven't had many that are. The ones that are have been free transfers which even then don't often have agents involved. As for the open university comment which I do realise was an exaggeration, I don't find the game that complicated at all. Maybe I'm just used to how fm works but I don't think its hard. Yeah there is quite a few things to do. But being a manager isn't just buying players and picking the team.

Agents wanting fees that are bigger than the transfer fee, agents wanting £10-15m and the fact that nearly all new features in FM dont work as they should.

Again, you haven't played the demo, so I really can't understand on what you're basing this fairly substantial assumption on. "Nearly all" features "don't work as they should", is a massive claim. Care to back it up at all?

If you'd played the demo and come to those conclusions I think that it would be worthy of debate, but as it is it does seem as though you're having a whinge for the sake of being negative (which I remember you were last year).

I also didn't play the demo yet, I just want to chime in anyway :)

I have no opinion, I simply wanted to join and be part of the discussion. :)

spam mode off

Haha, I'll let you off for that one as it was actually quite funny. :D

I have played FM for years now and will continue doing so while SI continue to do what they are doing.

I think the only thing which would ever stop me from playing the series would be if Real player names and Clubs (like old PES games) were not alowed to be used anymore. I trust that any features put in the game have been fully thought through and work as they should.

Again, you haven't played the demo, so I really can't understand on what you're basing this fairly substantial assumption on. "Nearly all" features "don't work as they should", is a massive claim. Care to back it up at all?

Years of previous experience, this years game could be amazing out of the box but I highly doubt it will be considering every game needed a release day patch.

I agree with this. :thup:

I think part of the problem is that each year, there seems to be more stuff to do in the game, and as a result, playing takes much longer.

It depends on your tolerance levels, I suppose, but at a certain point, it's going to get too much for even FMers with lots of spare time to play.

The frustration people will have with the player interaction, press conferences, agents etc., is that it will take more time away from the key part of the game, which is essentially picking a starting XI, selecting your tactics and playing a match!

I guess from my point of view, I really wanted to see the main new feature from last year - the tactics creator - worked on. I'm so disappointed that it has been left as it is this year. The tactical side of the game is the real guts of FM and it's a disappointment to have something like agents - which I could happily live without - added, rather than an existing feature improved. I wanted new roles, customisable selection, new passing strategies, more detail in there to make it even more interesting and fun to use. :(

It's just my opinion of course, and I'm sure others will be delighted by the addition of things like agents etc.

I agree with this. :thup:

I think part of the problem is that each year, there seems to be more stuff to do in the game, and as a result, playing takes much longer.

I don't see that as a problem, they're making the game more immersive. Although for people who want to rush through seasons, they may need to add more functions for the assistant manager's automation.

Years of previous experience, this years game could be amazing out of the box but I highly doubt it will be considering every game needed a release day patch.

Say something positive about FM11. I dare you. I promise not to tell anyone... ;)

Archived