I Only Buy Players Who are 23 And Under - Is that right?

i would be careful about having too many young players, as if they don't develop especially quickly, you may find your team short of genuine options and cover. sprinkling some experience in there with some bargain deals may work well

I generally buy young too, although if I get a player at 24 or 25 who "needs a new challenge" usually I'll keep giving him more money if I'm particularly intent to keep him, but sometimes I decide to just let him go to major on that and line up a 24 year old replacement (or promote a youth player). So I do buy 24, maybe even 26, but it's rare.

I'll sign anyone if the deal is right. It's not realistic to limit yourself to an age bracket. I generally limit the price range though, I don't like paying really extortionate fees for players. My transfer record on FM2010 is £35m, and that was for a world-class striker who was worth at least twice that. Other than him I've only broken the £20m barrier twice.

I believ that having a too young squad can have adverse effects as some attributes increase with time only, but that does not bar you from having all success in the world as long as your players are good enough.

As far as I understand you don't automatically sell players upon reaching a certain age. Then even more there is nothing to worry about as long as your starting XI is not an entire U23 team :)

Thats why i buy young players, too not use big money like i used to

58m for Aguero?

37M for Canales?

I Had to stop that..

Well you can still sign older, proven players, but only at the right price. For example my previous club captain was 27 and transfer-listed at Athletic Bilbao for £8.5m, 10 years of great service at a bargain price, and he retired at the club. Occasionally a player will become unsettled and choose to see his contract out, where you can pick them up for nothing. That's not to say you can't still blow a big chunk on a player you have your heart set on if you find yourself having the luxury of being able to do so of course :)

play it like you want to.. ;)

IMO the game should be harder to be succesful with if you got a too young squad. IRL older players (28+) are usually the very best, but this isnt always reflected in the game. There is a reason that 30+ players are very common in the best teams in the world.. this just doesnt seem to matter so much in the game

I only ever sign anyone over 17 if I really need to. I bring the youth through and sell my older players once I have enough players to make the step up to the bench. I only ever really need sign anyone older if the squad member who is my 1st choice becomes unsettled and I need to move him on for the sake of squad moral. There are plenty of youngins to fill the void in most cases if you have focused on the kids.

There are no rights or wrongs. If they are good enough, then they are old enough.

This...

All teams are different, just have to ask yourself if they have the skill to fit into your team plan and are good enough to play on the first team.

I've done basically the same thing, I look at all options for new signings but younger players with good potential are the ones I focus on most. My MLS team is currently the youngest team in the league because of this and they are still a very successful team.

Some young players are pickups for the future, not quite good enough for first team action but they will be, so I send them off on loan to affiliates. Others are much better then the players the team started with so I snap them up and play them. But while I focus on the younger players I will still grab older players if they have the stats or are someone I really need.

Besides sometimes you can find great deals with young players. Like my staff pointed me to a 14 y/o who has stats that are already good enough for MLS play and lots of potential still, but can't get him until 18 of course. Well being so young there wasn't much interest in him so this guy with star potential cost me 2.5k and even with MLS regulations and no youth team its not an issue because they will be training him for the next 4 years still.

Anyway, if it works for you then it works... others will go after proven older individuals, I like to get youngsters and mold them into the team.

I do very much the same once i'm past the first few seasons, with liverpool by the time the likes of gerrard, carragher and torres get too old my youth (or youth from elsewhere) are put into the first team as I just prefer having a young side.

Its good to have both young players and older players.

Older players can be good tutors.

Its cheaper to sign a kid when he is 16 than to get him when he is in his prime.

But its all up to you.

I normally buy in young and sell when they hit around 30 years of age which is the way ive done it for years but i have to say that my recent save is my hardest yet because i joined #juventus with no money and its the middle of February and ive got a main squad but useless back ups and they are in twelfth. Its 2014 so all players are really hitting the wall with age, Buffon and Amauri are well on, the only reall god things about the squad is that they have some core players in Marchiso, Criscito, Diego, Chiellini and Giovinco so im gonna raid the transfer market for young lads if i get funds in the summer

Keep doing what your doing if it is working.

Although i doubt aguero will be amazing for many more years so you should be looking to sign younger players as potential replacement for when he retires or cannot last the full 90mins.

Having a strong young squad is a great thing. In my Liverpool save i built a wonderful team consisting of age 18-24 first teamers. They gelled really well, and as a result I rarely had to make any major transfer activity for a good 6-7 seasons. Of course I bought the occasional 16 year old prospect, but it still went really well.

That said, it's also very helpful to buy experienced players as well. I've bought Robinho, Aaron Lennon, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and so on all on free transfers as they got older. Incredible wages, yes, but still great experience, performed well, and tutored younger players. All in all a good benefit.

Ultimately, no, it's not a bad thing to only buy players who are under 23. Just consider benefits of experienced players as well.

Archived