Most annoying Football Manager moments

Those times where you just want to tear your hair out

I'll get the ball rolling;

A) Conceding a goal within two minutes of the restart after half time. I hate this, especially when you played great defensively for the first forty five minutes.

B) Teams tearing your title winning squad apart. I think everyone can relate to this. You've just won some trophies, and you're looking to build on your success but then half your team feels as if it's time to move on after Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea decide they want half your squad.

When i've come back from work, realize that i didn't close FM down, but continue to play anyways when i sit down.

Then, with a 40-ish games without defeat, the game crashes.

And it hits me. I didn't save the game since early June, and i was in the beginning of December :(

I hate losing a cup match on penalties. It means my players a nackered and i have nothing to show for it.

Playing as a lower reputation team and losing your better players to large clubs. Particularly when they get annoyed and start demanding transfers.

Spending big bucks on a new player and watching him get stretchered off on his debut.

When you get to the end of the season and your team go on a mean losing streak and you miss out on any trophy or European spot!

It does my box in when the board won't expand the stadium or build another when your clearly selling out the 25000 ancient stadia every week...

Aarrgh there are so many, but Football Manager Series wouldn't be the same without them.

When you have been through tough negoiations for a promising young Brazilian player, who is currently playing in Brazil, you finally get your bid accepted..only for the work permit to get turned down.

When your star striker gets injured a day after the transfer window has shut and you don't have the back up you know you should have invested in during the window.

When you lose a two or more goal lead.

Getting knocked out of cup competitions! Especially in the latter stages!

When the board doesn't take your ultimatum seriously and you get the sack!

Making x3 substitutions all at the same time.

I would imagine this isn't a lonely moment, I would also go as close as we've all done it some point. I have done this often, and it is foolhardy.

Having subbed off the wrong player, or getting too many injuries. With no way out. You know there is a risk, but you just do it anyway. Then the game seriously backfires.

I remember a Champions League Quarter Final against Atletico Madrid. Won the 1st leg 6-2. Then in the 2nd leg, they play a fantastic game, leading 5-1 until the 90 minute. I just couldn't handle them, tried everything to stop their dominance. But i thought, oh well, it's the last minute, hopefully they won't score. At the very last minute, my backup central defender (1st choice CD was injured) scores an idiotic own goal that cost me the elimination. Needless to say he was fined and sold after the game. That was my most annoying moment ever in FM.

After winning the first leg 3-0, your players decide that the tie is as good as over, even though you tell them that it's not, then you end up conceding 2 goals in the first 15 minutes of the second leg. Your blood pressure goes through the roof as you begin to assemble your gigantic hairdryer for half time.

Opponents are absolute favorites. But my team is playing very well (i.e. commentator says they cannot cope with my team atm etc.)

I score in 35min, and they score in 37.

I take lead again in 55min, they score in 56.

And then they score in 90+1 and final whistle.

I am leading 1-0 against one of the big boys (Arsenal, ManCity, ManUTD, Chelsea etc.), we have 4 minutes extra time, and they score in 98min

My excellent 4.5 star coach gets an offer from ManUTD, and I cannot keep him because the board is stingy on coach wages

In lower leagues, board interrupts the negotiations, and sells the star player because the offer was too good to reject.

Opponents are absolute favorites. But my team is playing very well (i.e. commentator says they cannot cope with my team atm etc.)

I score in 35min, and they score in 37.

I take lead again in 55min, they score in 56.

And then they score in 90+1 and final whistle.

I am leading 1-0 against one of the big boys (Arsenal, ManCity, ManUTD, Chelsea etc.), we have 4 minutes extra time, and they score in 98min

My excellent 4.5 star coach gets an offer from ManUTD, and I cannot keep him because the board is stingy on coach wages

In lower leagues, board interrupts the negotiations, and sells the star player because the offer was too good to reject.

For the last one, just set a player's asking price to something crazy if you really don't want to let him go. In most cases, no one will bid for him even though they might be interested. And if someone does bid, and your chairman accepts it, then you'll get yourself a ton of money for the sale.

For the last one, just set a player's asking price to something crazy if you really don't want to let him go. In most cases, no one will bid for him even though they might be interested. And if someone does bid, and your chairman accepts it, then you'll get yourself a ton of money for the sale.

Yeah I know, but sometimes they catch me off-guard, and that's when I am annoyed :p

Celebrating a goal then conceding while still punching the air.

On a previous version, can't remember if it was 08 or 09, for some bizarrer reason, every game my goalkeeper's (Scott Carson at the time) instructions for attacking corners reverted to attack the near post (or some other attacking instruction). Often, particularly if it was my first game of a session I would forget to check and change it, then he wouldn't go up at all until inevitably I'd be 1 goal up or drawing in injury time, we'd get a corner and the dreaded message "what's this? Carson is joining the attack!" would appear along the bottom, then they would clear it and then score from 70 yards into my emtpy net.

It has to be on FM10 i had revamped the scottish leagues and taken a team called wishaw (who start with a rep of 600) from Div 3 all the way to SPL. i think i was in around 2025/2025 with them and had won the league the last 4 times the 2 cups more times than i can remember and had won the Uefa cup and gotton to the 1/4's or semis of the champions league quite a few times.

I decided to clean my save game folder out and accidentally deleted the save. Unfortunately i always turn the 3 game rolling auto save thing off so had absolutely no backup. Needless to say i was absolutely gutted and extremely annoyed at myself.

- your fans being annoyed with your for the whole season for selling a player who was already sold when you joined the club

- your fan spokesperson giving contradictory bitching every week

- accidentally subbing your goalkeeper by pressing "ok" instead of "cancel" when you decided not to make a quick substitution

- refusing to sell a player you know the entire world would be annoyed with you for selling except that player, who quickly switches to "unhappy" and plays with 5.5 ratings for the rest of the season

- you finally manage to sell that useless striker you've been wanting to get rid of for weeks, only for that team to suddenly realise they have too many foreign players and cancel

- your defender accidentally crosses to the opposition. they score

Celebrating a goal then conceding while still punching the air.

On a previous version, can't remember if it was 08 or 09, for some bizarrer reason, every game my goalkeeper's (Scott Carson at the time) instructions for attacking corners reverted to attack the near post (or some other attacking instruction). Often, particularly if it was my first game of a session I would forget to check and change it, then he wouldn't go up at all until inevitably I'd be 1 goal up or drawing in injury time, we'd get a corner and the dreaded message "what's this? Carson is joining the attack!" would appear along the bottom, then they would clear it and then score from 70 yards into my emtpy net.

OMG I hated when that happened. There was also a time when all of my players went up for a set piece and drogba just sat there on the half way line waiting for the clearance....and it came to him. I'm lucky that I had van der sar.

Winning in a cup final 1-0 since 10 minutes, and have added time of +5 ... and have them equalise on +5 minutes!

Losing your star player to injury when someone you're already trying to sell injures him in training. (he was released straight after that one :p)

Having a 3rd best goalkeeper on loan (without recall set) and have both your best goalkeepers injured.

- Rubbish players with laughable attributes storming through your defence and scoring like Ronaldo in his best days

- Your assistant saying your arch rivals winning the league is "certainty" and upsetting your players... 5 times per season, every season

- Chairmen rarely ever having an idea what an "offer too good to refuse" really is and selling your most promising players to your rivals for peanuts

- AI generally doing well against you and yet your own AI couldn't be more dumb than they are. I can't leave my assistant in charge of a friendly because despite having 20 for motivation he always gives a ridiculous team talk and totally destroys my squad harmony and therefore my season

- When you are a goal down and it's stoppage time, your players still playing with no urgency and taking ages to take throw ins and set pieces

- Your player having all the time in the world to get to the ball and instead he only starts running when it's too late, fouls the opposition and gets sent off

- Being unable to go through a pre-season without at least a few of your first team players getting injured

- Losing the title like this in the 92th minute of the last day of the season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItAzYWX8i6g

Just sped through this so apologies if this has been mentioned already, but what annoys me most is when as a lower league club you get a cup game against a 'giant', you've gone a goal down ealry, but fought back to 1-1 and taken it either onto the brink of full time and a cash-spinning replay at their place or the last minute of extra time and a looming penalty shootout and the 'giant team' always, always, always get a winner in injury time. gets right on my nerves, so it does.

Just got another one right now. Was admiring my healthy bank balance when the next day I get this that puts me back in the red:

fmshot.png

What are they, gold plated seats?

:(

I shouldn't laugh but that really, really made me howl with laughter. I'm sorry. :D

Just got another one right now. Was admiring my healthy bank balance when the next day I get this that puts me back in the red:

fmshot.png

What are they, gold plated seats?

:(

I think the drills they are using a diamond-tipped ;)

I play in highlight mode, but the 'highlights' are all too often:

1. Players setting up for free kicks or corners, chasing down the ball and then the kick goes flying over every one.

2. Watching players on the ground and waiting for a substitute to come on.

3. The goal highlight is mostly celebration, walking back to the center circle and lame, repetitive commentary.

4. Keepers wasting time at the end of a game.

When you are playing a weaker team, with no injuries, superb morale etc and out of nowhere you concede.

Then the years old message comes along "it's his first goal of the season..."

This happens so often, in so many versions of FM, that it can't be anything else than a scripted event by SI.

I really hope they do something about this.

On pace for my best-ever league season in terms of points, goals scored and goals allowed, then BAM! Two games where I'm without 11 of my players (squad of 24) due to international call-ups, including both goalies. 2 games in 3 days with a greyed-out goalie and tired backups = two losses by a combined 9-0.

The Dumb English Press

On my team: Man Utd, I have alot Of english players, Am also the England Manager.

So am picking my team, and because i have alot of English Players, i pick Some of those english players from my team. The next day, The english press(As dumb as they are in Real Life) Says that am being biase because i picked around 9 Man Utd players. ITS NOT MY FAULT THAT MAN UTD HAVE THE BEST ENGLISH PLAYERS ....

Please note that this happend around 2014, so Regens where on the scene...

when i forget, and go on holiday till next game, at the end of august, and the computer mixes up my registered players for prem and champ lge

When you duplicate your save game with your invincible team and give it to your friend, go round their house, urging them to lose, and they go 1-0 down. 2 minutes added on, and on 95 minutes they get a dubious equaliser. Damn!

I haven't read all posts so apologies if it has been said.

Saying "I'll sub him off in a couple of mins so he doesn't get a second booking". Then the next highlight he gets booked and sent off. "for f**k sake, why didn't i sub him a minute ago"

^ Same here. The same goes for a player who just gets injured - right after you were about to sub him.

I hate it when:

- You see players with a long shot rating of well below 10 score a curling 30 yard banana shot against you.

- Missed opportunities! You realise that if you had won that game, it would have put you in that promotion spot.

- Players who score landmark goals against you. That's his first goal for the club! That's his fifth goal of the season! Grinds my gears for some reason.

- A player you've been targeting as your next superstar signs a new contract for his club, so you'll have to settle for an average replacement.

I haven't read all posts so apologies if it has been said.

Saying "I'll sub him off in a couple of mins so he doesn't get a second booking". Then the next highlight he gets booked and sent off. "for f**k sake, why didn't i sub him a minute ago"

hahaha all I can say is....gennaro gattuso :D

Archived