Would it be cheating if...

Hi

Let me explain the scenario.

I am in charge of Crystal Palace. We were drawn against Liverpool in League Cup Semi Final. First leg is played at Selhurst Park - we win 2-1 against a Liverpool side that are missing 4 players through injury and suspension - including Steven Gerrard.

I start the second leg against a full strength Liverpool side fearing the worst.

Lightning strikes - we score 2 in the first half and go into half time leading Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield, 4-1 on aggregate. During half time I check the stats on one of my subs with a view to making a sub - game crashes.

After much swearing I decide to see when last I saved. One game before the Liverpool 2nd leg match. Play it again - now believing in the side after the way they last started - no changes to tactics or team selection. We lose 5-0. More swearing.

I'm now tempted to reload and give the match one more try (only because initially I was 4-1 up and looking good pre-crash) but my inner voice just keeps saying "that's cheating" as well as some other stuff about the neighbours watching me

What would you do?

What would you do?

Be annoyed, be ultimately carry on with the game. However, I could empathise with you if you were to reload a final time. Chances are though, they would beat you again and who knows you could injure your key player.

I'd move on, granted I'd be frustated, but move on.

You have to ask yourself if it would spoil your game. If you'd progressed and it crashed after the match, reloading wouldn't be cheating IMO. In this case however, I would always have that niggly 'I cheated' to get here feeling.

What would you do?

First of all, I think I would be concentrating on figuring out why the game is crashing. If your Computer meets the requirements to run the game then you can ACTUALLY do something about it so it doesn't crash anymore. If you have downloaded all the Driver updates and what not, go into your Preferences and "untick" the Collect Game Data option (remember to Confirm). This should fix your problem...

These are tough situations, it'll take way to long to produce the same scoreline as the original game, and even if you do..the stats will be different.

I hate this situations, it happened with me once where I noticed I had the wrong lineup in and went down 1-0 right away. I meant to make changes before the goal was scored, so it wasn't like a, "Oh I should try different tactics" but more along the lines of, "Oops, I had my B side in against United" type of thing. Even though it's my error, in real life is a manager ever going to field the wrong team? No.

So I reloaded and won the game 2-0.

There's been a couple times I wanted to, but didn't, reload after the game literally refused to let me chance my tactics. Tactics would be greyed out (and not due to impending changes) and I wouldn't be allowed to access the tactic screen, make shouts, make subs, etc..and I'd have to go the last 10-30 minutes with the same set of shouts, players, and tactics I had before. Not very fair..not sure if it's a bug, but frustrating.

First of all, I think I would be concentrating on figuring out why the game is crashing. If your Computer meets the requirements to run the game then you can ACTUALLY do something about it so it doesn't crash anymore. If you have downloaded all the Driver updates and what not, go into your Preferences and "untick" the Collect Game Data option (remember to Confirm). This should fix your problem...

Its the first time its crashed for me - probably not enough memory - I was running a whole bunch of other stuff - will be upgrading shortly.

I know in real life a game wouldn't crash as such but what would happen if a game got called off at half time due to weather or whatever? Is it replayed from the beginning?

This was how I justified it to myself - what would happen if the floodlights went out through no fault of the home side - and if I'm not mistaken it then goes to a replay - any goals scored in the previous game are lost.

We then lost the replay 5-0.

This does typify how my defence has been playing al season - they'll be rock solid one day and as leaky as fishnet stockings the next.

There's no problem with reloading it although i suffered from a bug that saw me win a penalty shoot-out against a team in the league above me but after the game it said i lost. I carried on frustrated at one of the worst bugs i've ever seen but next season i went into the competition wanting to beat more good sides and i made the semi-finals after knocking out three teams from the division above me.

It happened to me a few times over the years. What I normally do is just quit playing that save, as I can't be bothered to replay 3 or more games especially if one is critical and I had a good result. So I just start a new game or leave FM for a few weeks.

Besides, reloading once isn't too likely to make a difference anyway. You'd probably lose and have to do it again, and again, and it just leads to more frustration. When you do win in the end, it'll feel like 30 minutes of your life you'll never get back, rather than an accomplishment.

Archived