Former CM/FM-only legends, where are they now?

After just reading this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=173184 I started wondering what else might have happened to players which were really big in earlier versions of CM/FM, but actually never made it to the bigger football stages irl.

Maybe some people can shed light on this (note, this is not a quiz, I really don't know) and maybe have a few more people to talk about.

I'll start with dropping two names into the ring, both from CM93:

Simon Funnell

Richard Goulooze

edit: I should apparently add that by 'FM-only legend' I do NOT mean players to made it into the EPL or played at Barcelona or other big clubs, including Porto or Ajax, for any considerable time. I mean the ones who were never anywhere near up there irl. Cherno Samba or Andri Sigporsson are great examples :thup:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After just reading this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=173184 I started wondering what else might have happened to players which were really big in earlier versions of CM/FM, but actually never made it to the bigger football stages irl.

Maybe some people can shed light on this (note, this is not a quiz, I really don't know) and maybe have a few more people to talk about.

I'll start with dropping two names into the ring, both from CM93:

Simon Funnell

Richard Goulooze

Pretty sure Simon Funnell is playing for East Grinstead Town. Might be wrong.

This was what happened to Richard Goulooze though:

http://nl.linkedin.com/in/richardgoulooze

Daniel Braaten who was one of the best in CM 03/04 moved to Bolton at one point but had little success and now he's playing for Toulouse in France.

I came here to say this... :(

He's actually playing quite well for Toulouse :thup: Not a striker though, a winger...

lol To Madeira was a researcher i think, he added himself into the game ..

Anyone remembers Evandro Roncatto lol? great player in FM 06 i think. Now he's playing for Belenenses, in Portugal, the team was almost relegated last year..

Roncatto was a CM 03-04 legend.

Julius Aghahowa has returned to Shakhtar again on a free transfer, still only aged 27.

Isaac Okoronkwo, also once at Shakhtar, is now at FC Moscow after a fairly unsuccessful spell at Wolves, which I didn't know.

Kim Kallstrom of course turned out to be a success in real life and features regularly in the Swedish squad and has been at Lyon since 2006.

Another Swedish FM legend Zlatan Ibrahimovic (:D) has of course gone on to be one of the worlds best strikers and plays for Barcelona.

Tommy Svindal Larsen has returned to his first club Odd Grenland.

Thats all I can remember from people that haven't been mentioned.

I have got a few:

Jonas Lunden. Was a cracking striker around FM2006 however never got a move IRL and never left Sweden. Still playing in Sweden for GAIS.

Ivica Mornar - Awesome striker in CM98. I believe he did pop up at Portsmouth......(although my guess is that many a player we mention on here will have come across Harry Redknapp). Retired in 2006. Ended up a journeyman despite some early promise in his career.

Sandro - In the CM Spain version he was unreal. Had 20 for basically every worthy stat. I actually don't believe he even registered on footballs radar IRL. I remember signing him for about £500k from a second division spanish side and he was by far the best player at Barca. Amazing avg ratings, loads of goals from midfield. Made the legend guardiola look like a donkey

Sharbel Touma - Awesome teenage left winger around CM99/00. Never got the big move people thought he would. Still playing in Greece.

Funniest is probably Justin Georcelin, was a 15 year old in CM 01/02 who regularly became an international superstar. In real life he got released at a young age, and is now serving time in prison after attempted robbery of a cab driver to feed a crack addiction.

Nothing funny about that. :confused:

Anyone remember Stian Neset (Songdal, Norway) from the 97/98 version?

A fantastic player CM-vise whom never came any longer than the lover divisions in Norway irl...

And now he's a manager/player in the Norwegian 4th div club Dale IL...:p

Archived