Steam is a Joke!

I bought and downloaded the game at midnight last night via Steam but now every time I try to log in to Steam it crashes at the logging in screen and does nothing so I can't even get into it to switch to offline mode and play the game without logging in.

Who is the guy who is responsible for making this steam thing? Give me 5 minutes in a small room with that f***er! It would look like Hostel Part 3.

I bought and downloaded the game at midnight last night via Steam but now every time I try to log in to Steam it crashes at the logging in screen and does nothing so I can't even get into it to switch to offline mode and play the game without logging in.

Who is the guy who is responsible for making this steam thing? Give me 5 minutes in a small room with that f***er! It would look like Hostel Part 3.

it is annoying, i had major steam problems with 09 last year, so this year just bought the disc and playing it without steam

it is annoying, i had major steam problems with 09 last year, so this year just bought the disc and playing it without steam

Yep I'm afraid I couldn't wait for the disc so just took the steam option but it is a nightmare.

Some idiot has created a system that allows us to pay for and download games but then we are at the mercy of their pathetic logging on system to play them until we switch to offline mode. Can the guy who is responsible for either creating or maintaining this aspect of the system please go into early retirement so that somebody competent can take their place. Damn him for the rest of his days the useless joke of a man.

done, still not working

The only solution I found was that I actually had to wait 45 minutes for it to log me in and I've quickly switched to offline mode.

Still a bit of a problem though. Nice one Steam.

I downloaded the game last night from steam, and set it up for a game, came back from town today to play it and i cant get onto steam, it says its updating steam platform, does anyones else have this, does it mean it is downloading the patch.... anyone got any ideas

I was expecting problems when I got home from work but it's a clean first time install. Nothing wrong with Steam. People don't realise the need to keep their PCs up to date with all the various drivers and support programs that Steam and games need to use. Also a lot of people who play FM aren't all that PC savvy - I know because I'm always answering PC related questions here.

Exactly, Vane. I find that the vocal minority on this forum, the ones with the issues, are those that don't bother keeping computers up to date and just assume that everything should work with no extra input.

Also makes me feel smug that everything works great :D

Exactly, Vane. I find that the vocal minority on this forum, the ones with the issues, are those that don't bother keeping computers up to date and just assume that everything should work with no extra input.

OK Mr perfect. I am an IT Manager and when I open steam I get the message 'cannot contact the steam network, try again later'. An install problem ya think? User error, PC reboot?? no Mr Knowall, steam havent prepared themselves again. I logged on fine earlier, but now I guess everyone has come on line. Do us all a favour and don't be so smug.

The techincal answer is simple. Steams servers aren't coping with all of this activity. Don't let users on this forum belittle you who think they know better.

If you really were an IT manager you'd know you could launch any application by using the exe within the Steam folder, which you can find in the Program Files section. So yes, user error ahoy.

Program Files > Steam > Steamapps > Common > FM10.

Easy.

Nice work, professional.

OK Mr perfect. I am an IT Manager and when I open steam I get the message 'cannot contact the steam network, try again later'. An install problem ya think? User error, PC reboot?? no Mr Knowall, steam havent prepared themselves again. I logged on fine earlier, but now I guess everyone has come on line. Do us all a favour and don't be so smug.

The techincal answer is simple. Steams servers aren't coping with all of this activity. Don't let users on this forum belittle you who think they know better.

I didn't have any problems with Steam.

OT.. what the hell is IT manager ? You're managing 'information technology' of the whole planet ? Or are you a manager in an IT firm ? Either way it has nothing to do with being savvy with computers.

I'm sorry but why shouldn't steam "just" work?

When I want to make some toast, the toaster "just" works, I don't need to update it, I don't need to uninstall or reinstall the fuse, I don't need to replace it after a few years because it's working slower than when I bought it, I don't need to be an expert on toasters, it works without fail.

Why should steam be any different? If I want to open it I should just have to double click on it and it should work "i.e. do what it says on the tin"

I haven't yet got the game but I want to uninstall the game and steam but when I do a warning message comes up saying "you need to be an administrator to uninstall"

I'm sorry but why shouldn't steam "just" work?

When I want to make some toast, the toaster "just" works, I don't need to update it, I don't need to uninstall or reinstall the fuse, I don't need to replace it after a few years because it's working slower than when I bought it, I don't need to be an expert on toasters, it works without fail.

Why should steam be any different? If I want to open it I should just have to double click on it and it should work "i.e. do what it says on the tin"

I haven't yet got the game but I want to uninstall the game and steam but when I do a warning message comes up saying "you need to be an administrator to uninstall"

You just compared PC's to toasters, that in itself is a pretty big fail.

Nothing in computers works like you described, it would be a perfect world if it did.

I install the game and the patch with steam.... Play a little, and turn off computer....

5 hours latter, Steam is installing the game again....

Every time I'll play I'll have to install this game????

F**** off Steam..... Last time I bought this game with steam.... Every year the same history with problems with steam.....

I agree fully with what you have said.

Again, someone who hasn't even got their computer set up properly so that they can install/uninstall files as an administrator (as required by many versions of windows). You all just keep on crawling out, it's amazing.

Also please don't compare computers to toasters, that is nonsense.

I install the game and the patch with steam.... Play a little, and turn off computer....

5 hours latter, Steam is installing the game again....

Every time I'll play I'll have to install this game????

F**** off Steam..... Last time I bought this game with steam.... Every year the same history with problems with steam.....

Here is another example of Steam being slated by someone who doesn't understand what its doing. Its not installing your game again, its installing the 10.1 patch

Here is another example of Steam being slated by someone who doesn't understand what its doing. Its not installing your game again, its installing the 10.1 patch

Here is another example of someone who doesn't understand what its doing. Its not installing your game again, its installing the DirectX patch. 10.1 was part of the original download.

I work in IT and Ive known some Managers that wouldnt be able to wire their own plug let alone manage any kind of IT :p

However, being on a newly installed Win XP x64 (2 days ago), with up to date drivers and Steam actually working until it was patched (this morning) I would hazard a guess that there is an issue with the Steam login process. Now that maybe Steam server related or it may be routing related, and only affect a percentage of those using Steam.

Anyway after a clean install of Steam I was getting the same problem, .. but just now.. its started working now.

I hope its working for others too :)

Reinstall DirectX.

If that doesn't work try reinstalling Steam (actually, what I was referring to previously).

why should he reinstall steam if its been working fine for all other games. why should he re-install steam and have to reset preferences....... why not get steam to simply be able to cope

Its a STEAM issue

Here is another example of someone who doesn't understand what its doing. Its not installing your game again, its installing the DirectX patch. 10.1 was part of the original download.

Not if you pre-downloaded it like I did.

It downloaded 2 'patches' one was the actual patch and the second was the directX patch.

Correct.

The directx files Steam was installing previously were wrong, these have now been fixed and required a small update for everyone who was having the problems.

RE: steam crashing, they had some issues their side but they relesased a fix this morning which should hopefully make it more stable for everyone. For most people Steam is actually a pretty good experience I use them at home myself and haven't had a problem (maybe I'm just lucky)

Correct.

The directx files Steam was installing previously were wrong, these have now been fixed and required a small update for everyone who was having the problems.

RE: steam crashing, they had some issues their side but they relesased a fix this morning which should hopefully make it more stable for everyone. For most people Steam is actually a pretty good experience I use them at home myself and haven't had a problem (maybe I'm just lucky)

Well thats interresting to hear.

So - in that case - why did I have TWO 'downloading updates' after I installed it via steam?

I've had no problems whatsoever with Steam. Downloaded FM09 from there last year and had no problems and downloaded FM2010 this morning and everything is running smoothly :p

Steam isn't as bad as people are making out!

Just because you aren't having problems with it doesn't mean that no-one else is.

Try thinking before posting next time.

Personally my advice is but the DVD andd install from that - so much easier and then download any patches via a torrent - it so much quicker

I'd only use steam if i lived somewhere I couldn't get the dVD

Personally, I was really frustrated when I downloaded through Steam and then got the stupid "Football Manager 2010 has stopped working and has to close" every time I tried to load it. Verifying the cache seemed to fix that little problem, but I don't fully understand why we weren't made aware that we'd have to do that, or that we might have to do it.

That said, STEAM downloaded the game quick as flash and the automatic updates are fantastic. I have no qualms about using it in the future.

Just because you aren't having problems with it doesn't mean that no-one else is.

Try thinking before posting next time.

I had issues with Steam and I didnt even use it ! (just tried downloading the Steam Server (?) and it led to some annoying systems problems. Steam sounds to me like a great idea - but the question is "Does it work with sufficient reliability?" It bemuses me that SI have so much faith in it bearing in mind the Forum negativity towards it. Its a bit like Rafa picking Lucas regularly when the fans cannot see the justification.

Steam - the future?...Maybe, in theory,....one day.....

Archived