Been Offered The England Job

rolo

I have just been offered the England Job in season 2012/2013, Cappello has retired and England want me to take over, they have just won the European Championship. I manage Arsenal and I'm wondering if I accept the offer can I still remain managing Arsenal aswell as managing England?

Thanks.

But managing a national team and a club can be a heavy workload when WC qualifying and any other cups come along

Eh?

There is pretty much nothing to do when you manage a national team, bar play the matches. The time the national team play is when there are breaks domesticallly, so international management doesn't really affect the amount of work you have to do at one time...

Its not too much of a workload unless you want to attend games international players which is useless anyway. Just pick a team and tactic really. Did the england job a few times but in the end, friendlies and international games are just a nuisance, I found myself just wanting to get it out of the way so I can get back to my club team. Its good to boost your reputation to Worldwide, but I always could only bother to manage til the Euros or World Cup is over then quit whatever happens.

Eh?

There is pretty much nothing to do when you manage a national team, bar play the matches. The time the national team play is when there are breaks domesticallly, so international management doesn't really affect the amount of work you have to do at one time...

Setting up your team can take a very long time (hunderds of players to chose from) but what I was saying was that it can be a heavy workload, I was managing Feyenoord and Chile, due to some injuries I had call up new players (I guess this wouldnt be a problem for England, there will probably be many players that are good and similar but for Chile its not) which made me change my formation/tactics, etc... After a while I resigned from Chile

Im not saying its hard to manage both but it can be in some instances :thup:

After managing 15 years in England, I was offered the National side job (after rejecting my country's offer - Brazil) and I had no doubts.

Took over, knew all the players from the Premier League and 2 years later we won the World Cup undefeated.

It's my favorite nation to manage! :)

Managing Nigeria or Ivory Coast is the best for me, some players capable of winning ACoN but it's a big challenge to win World Cup.

Won the WC with Ivory Coast, the year after that I didn't have a GK anymore to call up.

Right before that I only managed to get in the quarter final of the Africa Cup because in the first game my only GK got injured.

Since then I don't manage coutries anymore I don't have the leagues loaded for.

I got offer the Wales job when I was managing Swansea on a old Fm 2008 save I believe it was. I jumped at the chance managing club and country, but the Swansea fans were not to pleased I was managing club and country though.

But what the other guy said, go for it you may never get the chance again. :)

Except you wouldn't

You certainly would if you wanted to have a chance to actually win your continental championship and not crash out in the group stages or fail to qualify. Wait a moment, I was talking about real life and not FM.

Since England is always vastly overrated in FM, I guess he should go ahead. The English players aren't given their proper horrible attributes for big matches in FM, so I suppose he should enjoy the fantasy. :D

You certainly would if you wanted to have a chance to actually win your continental championship and not crash out in the group stages or fail to qualify. Wait a moment, I was talking about real life and not FM.

Since England is always vastly overrated in FM, I guess he should go ahead. The English players aren't given their proper horrible attributes for big matches in FM, so I suppose he should enjoy the fantasy. :D

I am not an England fan (USMNT and Armenia fan) but have you not witnessed the drastic change that Capello has made? They are a completely different team.

I don't think so, we seem to have the right attitude now. The 'WAG' era is well and truely over and the players now seem to want to play, also we have alot more depth now the way capello has gone about it playing players like Milner and Upson if say the 1st choice players like Gerrard or Terry get injured then we still have top class premier league players in the ranks not disgrunteled by the fact they never play because they do. I never thought i would say this but a Italian manager is proberly the best thing to happen to the England national team in the last 20 years.

ROLF england has good players but they cant play as good as the top internationals as a team

England-

Strikers- poor

center mids - great

wingers -poor

Center backs- good

defensive wingers- good

Team overrall preformance wise- alright: this world cup england will perform better then they did last world cup

Let me guess, this Jorge Campos guy isn't English? He sounds like a jilted lover. 0_o

No, it's nothing personal against England or the English. For the record, I live in the U.S., and you'll see below that I hold the U.S. accountable in similar ways.

The issue is that the vast majority of people on this forum are not old enough to truly have a perspective on how poor England has been in the biggest competitions for decades. And I don't know how many people have really seen some of the spectacular ways that England has failed in these past decades.

No European Championship trophy in 13 tournaments. 48 years of futility. Never reached the final. England is the only one of the 'Big Five' (Spain, Italy, England, Germany and France) to never win the tournament. And yet Greece and Denmark have both won.

One World Cup win in 1966 as hosts. England deserve credit for that certainly, but home advantage was a huge factor and otherwise there has been no other appearance in the final and only one other trip to the semifinals.

When you're supposed to be one of the best footballing nations in the world and you have a top flight league like the Premier League, then there is no other way to describe the international performances than underachievement.

To DanGLiverpool's point, underachieving says you have a certain amount of quality, but that quality is ultimately worthless if you can't find a way to leverage it into international performance. And England has found so many ways to crash out of tournaments that are indicative of a problem with handling big matches more so than an issue of quality.

That's why I've always felt that nations themselves should have certain attributes in FM for big matches and tournament performances. It shouldn't be made impossible or too easy for certain nations to win, but the game should reflect the real tendencies and history of international performance.

For example, the United States has never won a match against Mexico in Mexico. That's zero wins in 23 matches since 1937. The U.S. has managed just one draw and a whopping 22 losses. That's indicative of far more than the mere quality of the two sides. There is something tangible here, and it involves the inability of the U.S. to play at its best in the toughest environment it faces in international football.

Until last month, the U.S. had never even had a lead in a match played in Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. 43 years without ever having a lead in a match! Compared to its record vs. Mexico over the past 15 years at home and at neutral sites, the U.S. is clearly underachieving here.

So my views are not about nationality or anything of the sort. It's about what you do on the pitch.

Exactly. Crap underachievers. You'd be better off managing Togo.
No, it's nothing personal against England or the English. For the record, I live in the U.S., and you'll see below that I hold the U.S. accountable in similar ways.

If it's nothing personal then there's no need to say what you did in the post I've quoted above. It's obviously personal. You'd represent yourself best if you avoided talking about the England National team.

Let me guess, this Jorge Campos guy isn't English? He sounds like a jilted lover. 0_o
If it's nothing personal then there's no need to say what you did in the post I've quoted above. It's obviously personal. You'd represent yourself best if you avoided talking about the England National team.

Tough luck. If you can't take a joke, then I'm sorry for your lack of a sense of humor. Or should I have used emoticons to make it abundantly obvious? Jeez.

To DanGLiverpool's point, underachieving says you have a certain amount of quality, but that quality is ultimately worthless if you can't find a way to leverage it into international performance.

But you said they were crap at underachieving, double negation. By it you say they are achieving. ;)

I'm running down my final FM09 campaign as I await FM10. I'm holidaying through matches to get to the end of the season and see where I end up in the Hall of Fame. At this point Cappello disappeared with 100% record (no news item to say why) and I got offered the job. There are no games until the Euro championships, so IF I win it I'll get a boost and end up high in the table as I bring my career to an end!

Is it me or do England decline as a team by 2014. They failed to qualify for the 2014 world cup 5/6 points behind Serbia and Switzerland. Also the ageing Gerrard and Lampard are still squad regulars who play a lot as there's no one good enough to replace them.

After Rooney, Walcott and Gerrard, Ashley Young is the next best attacking player and he's mediocre in the game. Strikers along with Rooney are Owen, Vaughan and Ashton. All score goals but they're well short of world class. Is this really England's future?!!

Is it me or do England decline as a team by 2014. They failed to qualify for the 2014 world cup 5/6 points behind Serbia and Switzerland. Also the ageing Gerrard and Lampard are still squad regulars who play a lot as there's no one good enough to replace them.

After Rooney, Walcott and Gerrard, Ashley Young is the next best attacking player and he's mediocre in the game. Strikers along with Rooney are Owen, Vaughan and Ashton. All score goals but they're well short of world class. Is this really England's future?!!

As I said, I've recently bagged the England job in 2012. I notice that the quality in the U23s and U19s is rubbish. If FM10 wasn't due and I was continuing this save, I think I'd resign from England after the 2014 WC at the latest.

Archived