dafuge's FM09 challenge

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't understand how a team can be doing great 1 min, and now I feel like I need to bribe the ref to get some points. I will finish this season and then I think I have to take a break from this save for a bit, since its driving me mad. Perhaps going to a tiny club in some random league I know nothing about will be so tough in comparison that I will be back sooner than I think.

My Legnano side in the career thread game has done the same, it's frustrating but it happens, it's all about either sticking it out and hoping your luck changes soon enough or change things and hope you don't mess it up.

P.S. - Anyone feel free to checkout the career game thread, we need more people playing in there as the chats a little slow right now.

I think the reason I've done so well so quickly in the PL is down to my time in the Championship, I was stuck there for six years in which time I built a PL standard squad but missed out on promotion a few times.

Yes, I've noticed a lot of wonderkids as well, there seems to be more this year. Clubs also seem to sell them quite easily, I'm sure I could never pick up a 20 year old wonderkid for less than £20m before.

I've won the league a couple times with a fairly average squad but always had a strong defence and a good striker, that seems to be enough to win games.

Gilbster - Eastwood Town - Premiership - 2055/56 End of Season Update

Had a brilliant start to the season only to be let down by the final 10 or so matches of the season. We were knocked out in the quarters of both the League and FA Cups by Leeds. We also made a loss of £20 million this season.

I am currently pretty much disillusioned completely with this after the past 2 seasons where inconsistent form has cost me a European slot and in the case of this season I honestly thought that Champions League qualification was possible.

I am in 2 minds as to whether I continue this at the moment, due to not actually enjoying it at present, but the other part of me wants to hit a nice even 50 seasons regardless.

I did get my upgrade to the youth facilities so they are now the top ones as well as my training.

I have £16 million unspent in my transfer kitty because my scouts just aren't finding good enough players for me.

Table

Graph - was looking great until towards the end

Aims

Find some motivation to continue this save

Actually figure out how to have consistent form

Find some strikers that want to score a decent amount of goals a season

Qualify for Europe and make some progress again

Stop losing money

Career so far

League                  Season          Finished        Achievements
Blue Square North       2012/13        5th             Lost in Playoff Semis
Blue Square North       2013/14        8th
Blue Square North       2014/15        7th
Blue Square North       2015/16        11th
Blue Square North       2016/17        5th             Lost in Playoff Semis
Blue Square North       2017/18        1st             BSN Title
Blue Square Premier     2018/19        8th
Blue Square Premier     2019/20        12th
Blue Square Premier     2020/21        6th
Blue Square Premier     2021/22        13th
Blue Square Premier     2022/23        7th
Blue Square Premier     2023/24        3rd             Lost in Playoff Semis
Blue Square Premier     2024/25        6th             FA Trophy Runners Up
Blue Square Premier     2025/26        2nd             FA Trophy Winner. Lost in Playoff final
Blue Square Premier     2026/27        5th             Lost in Playoff Semis
Blue Square Premier     2027/28        1st             BSP Title. FA Trophy Runners Up
League 2                2028/29        15th
League 2                2029/30         9th
League 2                2030/31         13th
League 2                2031/32         1st             League 2 Title
League 1                2032/33         18th
League 1                2033/34         7th
League 1                2034/35         19th
League 1                2035/36         4th             Promoted from Playoffs
Championship            2036/37         15th
Championship            2037/38         13th
Championship            2038/39         24th            Relegated
League 1                2039/40         1st             League 1 Title
Championship            2040/41         8th             
Championship            2041/42         4th             Lost in Playoff Semis
Championship            2042/43         5th             Lost in Playoff Final
Championship            2043/44         15th
Championship            2044/45         3rd             Promoted from Playoffs
Premiership             2045/46         20th            Relegated
Championship            2046/47         5th             Lost in Playoff Semis
Championship            2047/48         1st             Championship Title
Premiership             2048/49         11th
Premiership             2049/50         18th            Relegated
Championship            2050/51         11th            League Cup Runners Up  
Championship            2051/52         1st             Championship Title
Premiership             2052/53         7th
Premiership             2053/54         3rd
Premiership             2054/55         10th
Premiership             2055/56         10th

Ridleys - Hendon - Coca Cola Championship - 2018/19 (Season 10)

Media Prediction: 24th

My Prediction: 20th

A very tough start to life in the Championship. We were stuck in the relegation zone for well over half of the season and I didn't know whether we were going to get out of it. Inspirational form right at the end of the season though (winning our last 6 games!) and in the end we finished 14 points off the relegation zone - which in the end isn't too bad. This season I have also noticed that the standard of players I can now buy is amazing and my scouts found some really good players - like this guy, who was signed on a free transfer at the beginning of the season from Danish side OB.

Things didn't go so well in the cups this season - although there isn't much I can report on anyway as we are only entered in 2 cups at the moment. We were knocked out in the 3rd round Replay by Tottenham 3-0 in the FA Cup although we managed to snatch a 0-0 draw in the first leg to take it to a replay which was an excellent result. In the League Cup we did not do so well as we lost in the 2nd Round against Bradford who are in the same division as us. It's not the team we lost against though, it's the margin that we lost by - 3-0 is not a very good result against a team who are in the same league as us especially as we were at home as well.

Finances have made excellent progress and we are back out of debt. :) We made profits of around £2.3 million over the season although the board have made plans to expand the stadium which will cost £800,000 but we will still have a positive bank balance so that is okay.

Final Position: 18th

Cups:

FA Cup: 3rd Round, knocked out by Tottenham 3-0

League Cup: 2nd Round, knocked out by Bradford 3-0

Top Goalscorer: Matthew Paterson

Player of the Season: Gary Kelly

League Table | League Positions Graph

Transfers

Finances

Squad

Season Best Eleven | Overall Best Eleven

Manager Overview

Next Season:

• Try and get a mid-table or top half position.

Career so far:

League                  Season          Finished        Achievements
Blue Square Premier     2012/13         16th            Won FA Trophy
Blue Square Premier     2013/14         2nd             Promotion via playoffs, Won FA Trophy, Won Conference League Cup
Coca Cola League 2      2014/15         5th             Lost in Playoff Semi-Final
Coca Cola League 2      2015/16         11th            
Coca Cola League 2      2016/17         5th             Promoted via playoffs
Coca Cola League 1      2017/18         2nd             Promoted as runner up
Coca Cola Championship  2018/19         18th

I have my first wonderkid :)...bad news is I only found out when Man U decided to unsettle him by declaring interest :mad:

EDIT: Hope you stick with it Gilbster:thup:

Well I keep hitting continue at the moment but not sure my heart is in it. Am waiting for the season reset and see what my youth academy brings me. I have been wanting to start on Gundo's challenge for ages, but since I cant decide what league to even look at, I keep hitting continue. Hopefully I will make up my mind at some point, or figure out how to juggle 2 saves.

I think it's the end of an era, most of this team has been with me since the BSN and now, they are either too old or aren't good enough for this league. Danny Whitaker was one of our best players last season and now he's lost his pace, he's a bit like Beckham though, just when you think he's finished he comes back with one last hurrah. Erik Hummel just isn't up to scratch as is Super Kyle :( 2 goals last season for Super Kyle in about 20+ subs appearances, he lost his impact :( Guess I need a clearout but I can't bear to do it!

I really don't understand how a team can be doing great 1 min, and now I feel like I need to bribe the ref to get some points. I will finish this season and then I think I have to take a break from this save for a bit, since its driving me mad. Perhaps going to a tiny club in some random league I know nothing about will be so tough in comparison that I will be back sooner than I think.

I'm suffering the same sort of thing now. Last season we won the league playing fantastic football, this season we have played nine games scoring just four goals and sit in 12th place.

I'm suffering the same sort of thing now. Last season we won the league playing fantastic football, this season we have played nine games scoring just four goals and sit in 12th place.

I hate seemingly random changes of form. I am in fact holidaying up a game for Gundo's challenge, but i definitely have unfished business in Eastwood. However after almost 2 months and 46-47 or so seasons, I feel I owe it to myself to play in a different country for a bit, as a change of pace. I will be back, possibly after I doom my first new challenge team in a season!

I'm having another one of those confusing moments in FM... after my Chairman rightly accepted this bid for winger Pavel Smid, he went on to negotiate a contract with Arsenal and ended up turning them down for not offering big enough wages. Now he is "Unhappy at not being allowed to move clubs"! I'm not stopping him! He's a good player, but will be easily replaced. It was't my fault his deal collapsed, I was looking forward to having an extra £45m in the bank.

I'm having another one of those confusing moments in FM... after my Chairman rightly accepted this bid for winger Pavel Smid, he went on to negotiate a contract with Arsenal and ended up turning them down for not offering big enough wages. Now he is "Unhappy at not being allowed to move clubs"! I'm not stopping him! He's a good player, but will be easily replaced. It was't my fault his deal collapsed, I was looking forward to having an extra £45m in the bank.

I've got one like that, he's unhappy about not being allowed to move, despite already agreeing a deal to Join Cardiff in January.

Hey Gilbster, I'm curious I noticed that Arsenal won the league in your 2055-56 Eastwood season- have Arsenal always done well? I'm up to 2018 (as part of a game not as part of this challenge) and like many others Ive noticed Arsenal always seem to do extremely well (won the league in all bar one season in one game). I assume you've started that save prior to the 902 update...

I think this is officially my most frustrating season of FM ever.

On a run like this, is it really any wonder that I don't feel very much like playing right now?

There is absolutely no reason this should be happening. Since 13 January, our record (not counting friendlies and considering matches decided on penalties to be draws) is 11-15-20. This despite having a side largely stocked with League 1 level talent, in the opinion of my assistant manager. For the whole of 2016, this club has been in absolute freefall, and I'm now seriously worrying about the prospect of relegation. What am I doing wrong here?

Hey Gilbster, I'm curious I noticed that Arsenal won the league in your 2055-56 Eastwood season- have Arsenal always done well? I'm up to 2018 (as part of a game not as part of this challenge) and like many others Ive noticed Arsenal always seem to do extremely well (won the league in all bar one season in one game). I assume you've started that save prior to the 902 update...

Arsenal have finished in the top three in all but one of the 17 seasons I have played, they finished 4th in that one season.

I think this is officially my most frustrating season of FM ever.

On a run like this, is it really any wonder that I don't feel very much like playing right now?

There is absolutely no reason this should be happening. Since 13 January, our record (not counting friendlies and considering matches decided on penalties to be draws) is 11-15-20. This despite having a side largely stocked with League 1 level talent, in the opinion of my assistant manager. For the whole of 2016, this club has been in absolute freefall, and I'm now seriously worrying about the prospect of relegation. What am I doing wrong here?

I had a poor run recently and I called a team meeting through my captain, blasted a couple of players about their performance, offered a few new contracts and adjusted my team talks. That seemed to do the job.

I don't want to jinx myself, but i'm having an almost perfect season this year. After 26 games in the league I have won 23, drawn 2 and lost 1 with a +52 goal difference and 15 points clear of Arsenal and Newcastle. I'm through to the champions league knockout stage after beating Barca in our group. Fielding my reserves in the domestic cups we are in the final of the League cup and through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

The team are just phenomenal all around. I just hope that nothing untoward happens...

Arsenal have finished in the top three in all but one of the 17 seasons I have played, they finished 4th in that one season.

Arsenal are dominating this season but if they do win the league it will only be there second title during my save. Maybe starting with fake payers meant they didn't have quite the head start in terms of great youths etc. they seem to get when real players are used.

Man U and Chelsea have been the dominant forces during my save although Man City and Tottenham both snuck in for a title apiece.

I had a poor run recently and I called a team meeting through my captain, blasted a couple of players about their performance, offered a few new contracts and adjusted my team talks. That seemed to do the job.

How do you call the team meeting? I had a look on my interaction options with my captain and can't see it...

Aario - Gloucester in BBS - End of Season 1 (2009-10) Report

League:

Finshed the season in 2nd place. We were never in any danger of catching Dorchester but I believe we were comfortably the second best team in the league so was gutted to loose in the playoff final (see above). :mad:

Cups:

Nothing to report really, out of all them very early. :thdn:

Transfers:

Bought a lot of players in, so many infact I need 2 screen shots to show them all!

Squad:

Here it is at the end of the season - two views to show all the info!

Best players (screen shots from midseason as I cannot be bothered to do them again!):

Ngo Baheng and Thompson scored the goals - Thompson missing the playoff final was a big loss.

Hateley and Owens set them up - Hateley getting injured in the playoff final was another loss and we could also have done without Owens breaking his leg around January and not featuring again :thdn:

Aims for next season:

Avoid the playoffs and win the league! It took me until around December to get my team settled so I think next season we should be able to mount more of a challenge. Just need to add a few players to cover for injuries although my stiffs did ok this season!

Manager profile:

Here I am at 1st June 2009.

Are you not aware of the curse in this thread?

Is there any way we can also make the curse apply in the reverse direction?

I've been trying numerous changes of all sorts (benching players, calling them out in the media, you name it - no team meetings, though, as the option still hasn't appeared and likely never will), and all it's netted me so far is a pair of requests to be placed on the transfer list. Oh, and a win in the FA Trophy, but that doesn't count as it was at home against a team that had been relegated from the BS North/South.

20th place now on Boxing Day, a single point above water.

Playing absolutely ruthless at home. 4 wins form 4 games, 11 scored, 0 conceded. Away, however, I'm still yet to win after 6 games, with 3 losses and 3 draws. 1 0-0 draw, and 2 1-1 draws, in which both 1-1 draws I was leading until past the 90th minute :(

Playing great football though, and should easily finish in the top half of the division.

Playing absolutely ruthless at home. 4 wins form 4 games, 11 scored, 0 conceded. Away, however, I'm still yet to win after 6 games, with 3 losses and 3 draws. 1 0-0 draw, and 2 1-1 draws, in which both 1-1 draws I was leading until past the 90th minute :(

Playing great football though, and should easily finish in the top half of the division.

you play 4-4-2? I found giving both central defenders back arrows give a little bit more to the games away.

you play 4-4-2? I found giving both central defenders back arrows give a little bit more to the games away.

Yea I play 4-4-2 - And I play with Barrows on the DC's anyway :D

Also play with a Barrow on the Right sided CM and the Right sided ST - and then Farrows for everyone else except the left sided CM. It seems to work miracles. The only position that doesn't play well, is the CM on the left side. He gets around 5.8 / 6.0 per game, even when we win comfortably.

FWIW - I've just won my 5th home game, 1-0 against 2nd place Team Bath. RUTHLESS. If I can turn the home stadium into a fortress for the rest of the season, I'll be delighted.

Archived