FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

He's the Ansah to your prayers.

😁😁😁😁 To be fair to the lad, 124 games and 82 goals. Can't complain with that - still only 21. I had planned to maybe start a new job search but this kid and a rather promising Gibraltar midfield Regen who's 17 have made me stick around!

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much to do, so much to say ...

Hi, all. Mr. Wilson reached me on my birthday and we had a good talk. Time to tell you where I've been.

1) The COVID-19 outbreak hit my workplace very hard. As one of the few qualified emergency managers at my workplace, I've been going nonstop since March, working with my state's Department of Health to help craft return-to-work guidelines for my field. I have had three days off since March 15.

2) At the same time, I began work on my Master of Arts degree in creative writing. That work turned out to be a heck of a lot more difficult than I thought it would be when I started. (And I only have two years to go!)

3) There were some personal things too. My nephew contracted COVID-19 at age 24 and then had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) from it. 

4) I wanted to take some time with my writing. I have been messing around with Out Of The Park Baseball 21 while actually getting a bit ahead on an FM20 save (for the first time ever as sharply limited time permits). I'm working on a new character and a slightly different style.

Anyhow, thanks to Mark for looking me up. I hope to earn my way back onto the forums. :)

Oh no. Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

I imagine it must be tough for a lot of us. I'm not having it all that easy either but comparatively I'm actually much more fortunate compared to many others. I still have a job, I'm reasonably healthy (I think), so I guess I have much to be thankful for.

8 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

Anyhow, thanks to Mark for looking me up. I hope to earn my way back onto the forums. :)

Not a problem sir, looking forward to reading more of your work as and when your ready to post. I've PM'd you a quick catch up message regarding the state of our little part opf the forum

Roger roger. Hi, Ben, good to see you again too! Yes, I still have my job too and I am thankful for that because a lot of people don't (including, alas, one of my two assistants on my team). Mark, got your note, congrats to Neil and (hopefully), onward we go!

1 hour ago, salkster2102 said:

So @mark wilson27 what are your thoughts on our new Premier League champions? ;)

Fluked it hahaha

In all fairness well deserved, by far played the better football throughout the long long season...Congrats mate...but if you bring it up again I will have to consider putting a ban on you hahaha

Wait until everyone becomes Anyone But Liverpool (Or City) and Man Utd rise from the midtable to challenge in 2040 and become everyone's #2 team.

Toppling the clubs that buy the title every year with help from the clearly biased refs giving so much stoppage time that they call it the Klopp Clock.

On 27/06/2020 at 07:30, git2thachoppa said:

Wait until everyone becomes Anyone But Liverpool (Or City) and Man Utd rise from the midtable to challenge in 2040 and become everyone's #2 team.

Toppling the clubs that buy the title every year with help from the clearly biased refs giving so much stoppage time that they call it the Klopp Clock.

i've always been anyone but Liverpool! 

Don't think anyone deserves to win it in an empty stadium, so I hope they do get to experience a "proper" league win, which with their strength of squad shouldn't be too much of a stretch

Not convinced much if any earning is required! will be good to see you back as and when you are ready. Hope you are through the woods now :)

Edited by Mandy42

On 27/06/2020 at 12:50, Drogba11CFC said:

Give it a couple of years and Chelsea are going to be a huge force.

I agree Chelsea will be one to watch in a few years if they keep developing their young players. I do wonder however where they will stand with ffp if they don't get champs league next season. Will be a massive money loss it they don't and already spent big on Werner and ziyech plus there's rumours of them going for Kai Havertz. Do still feel they are lacking at the back and a winning mentality to see out games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not the gambling type but got given a free bet from Ladbrokes and thought I'd do an accumalator for the last day of the Premier Division. I've gone with the results most of you have put on the predictions league and if all comes in I should come home with £1,852 ...

On 11/08/2019 at 03:49, git2thachoppa said:

I got most if not all of it wrong last season...

1 - Man City - Their depth is insane except maybe centre-back, but they only need defenders against the top tier, which is only Liverpool, who they usually lose to anyway.

2 - Liverpool - I think the gap will be bigger and it'll be similar to last season where Liverpool might look strong at first, but City have the much easier final run-in after they meet.

3 - Arsenal - Attack is the best form of defence.

4 - Spurs - I get the feeling they'll go backward a bit more. Arsenal were only 1 point below them. Things will just be a bit stale.

5 - Man Utd - United would've saved a lot of money putting faith in their youngsters way back in the LVG days when they ended up using them by the end (then getting rid of them next season anyway). So hopefully it'll pay off, but there are still too many bad eggs and bad management above Solskjaer.

6 - Chelsea - At least United have Rashford, and Lampard might struggle when the wily managers in the rest of the league figure out his gameplan.

7 to 15 - Everyone has solid teams and/or solid managers and will mingle in the midtable void.

16 - Newcastle - Don't know why the fans were disappointed with Bruce. They're not gonna get Simeone or Klopp, so at least they have someone emotionally invested and with a record of keeping joke teams up.

17 - West Ham - I'll go for a bold statement cause it'd be a laugh, but their team looks a bit Championship-y in places, the atmosphere is always toxic and self-defeating, and their home ground is probably the most welcoming away fixture in the league where points are expected, and they'll be lucky to have 3 worse teams in the league.

18 - Southampton - Look like a Championship team now

19 - Norwich

20 - Sheffield United - I don't really know anything about the promoted teams so I'm completely assuming.

I didn't do so badly. :D

Expected West Ham to implode Newcastle to be fine and Spurs to drop (but only a bit). I hoped more than expected Watford would fall.

I called Liverpool winning last season, never imagined City would flop now. And that's what I get for putting faith in Arsenal - we all get sucked in one season I guess. Maybe next year will be their year! I guess they're a midtable club now and the big days are history, not where they 'should' be. Who would've thought during the Henry days that it was just a temporary peak period?

On 10/08/2019 at 02:50, BenArsenal said:

OK, here we go then. I will admit I haven't really followed many of the teams' summer activities outside of the top 6, so some of these are just random.

1. Man City - Unfortunately they will have the quality to do three on the bounce, but I don't think they'll run away with it as many have predicted. The other teams will want to do their hardest to stop them, most notably Liverpool.

2. Liverpool - No big changes, a fairly settled squad, and definitely enough quality to mount a challenge. They'll give City a hard time.

3. Arsenal - Optimistic perhaps, but if the front three comes good then we'll have one hell of an unstoppable attack. Sure our defence is still suspect even with the addition of Sideshow Bob, but hey, as long as we outscore our opponent, it's all good. :D

4. Tottenham - Ugh. I want them to suck like they did back in the 90s, but they have too much quality to do so now. Some savvy buys means that they'll squeeze into the Champions League, again.

5. Chelsea - I don't think they'll be as bad as people make them out to be. Sure they've lost Hazard, but I think they'll still have enough quality to hold the fort. Fifth wouldn't be that much of a disaster with the transfer ban and an inexperienced manager at the helm.

6. Man United - Here's the thing: there's every possibility that Pogba could still leave at the end of the month. And with Lukaku also gone with no chance of replacing either of them, the Red Devils could live to regret their transfer strategy.

7. Leicester - They've bought well (Tielemans is class), and hopefully Brodge will make good use of the quality he has at his disposal to at least cause a few upsets and threaten the status quo.

8. Everton - Another team who've done great business, and if Marco Silva can get all his fantastic new signings to gel, they'll be the team to watch outside of the top six.

9. Wolves - Ordinarily, I love it when a non-big team does well in Europe, and Wolves have the capability to do that. But apparently Nuno is not a fan of rotation, and that could hurt them in the later part of the season.

10. West Ham - Done okay transfer-wise, but The Hammers don't quite have the same quality as the teams immediately above them. Pellegrini is shrewd though, and he'll find enough in the tank for a top half finish.

11.  Aston Villa - Of the promoted teams, VIlla is probably the one that have the nous to stay up and do well. They definitely belong in the top flight, and hopefully they stick around.

12. Watford - Not done much, so a season of mid-table consolidation for The Hornets then. That's reward enough I reckon.

13. Southampton - It seems that most of the lower rung teams haven't exactly brought in big changes to their squad this summer. Southampton will probably be safe from relegation, but nowhere near the top half either.

14. Burnley - Same with Burnley.

15. Bournemouth - And Bournemouth.

16. Newcastle - After an utter shambles of a summer, it's hard to see Newcastle do well this season. Perez and Rondon are big losses, and as such there'll be huge pressure on Joelinton and old boy Andy Carroll to deliver up front. Bruce is no Benitez too.

17. Crystal Palace - I don't think it has gone well for Palace. Zaha may have stayed, but he's thrown a strop and his commitment is now suspect (and there could even be an outside chance of a European club coming for him as well). Lacking quality all round.

18. Norwich - I reckon the final relegation spot will be very tight between the Canaries and the Eagles (bird fight?).  It really could go either way.

19. Brighton - Sadly, will follow Huddersfield as the next blue and white striped team through the trapdoor. They're a nice romantic team to have around, but they haven't improved, and their time is up.

20. Sheffield United - I think they're completely ill-equipped for the top flight. Back to the Championship you go.

Well then, that didn't turn out as I'd expected...

Anyway, sorry I haven't been around as much, but things have been a bit complicated at home recently.

I'll send my votes for the FMS Awards to Mark shortly, but I probably won't be here as often now. I'll still pop by to read sometimes though.

You guys take care.

Cheers Ben recieved them...just a quick reminder guys that you need to vote if you are to stand a chance of winning.I know I keep saying it but the last three years people have missed out on an award due to not voting 

17 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Cheers Ben recieved them...just a quick reminder guys that you need to vote if you are to stand a chance of winning.I know I keep saying it but the last three years people have missed out on an award due to not voting 

Not much of an award then. It is exclusive.

Edited by git2thachoppa

On 03/08/2020 at 21:04, git2thachoppa said:

Not much of an award then. It is exclusive.

How does having a pre-requisite make it exclusive? It's a little bit of a theme that you have a gripe with the Awards, isn't it?

1 hour ago, neilhoskins77 said:

How does having a pre-requisite make it exclusive? It's a little bit of a theme that you have a gripe with the Awards, isn't it?

Erm... it's a bit of a theme that you guys (same avatar so can't tell who's who) moan every year that barely anyone's voted and that awards are sullied because the actual winner didn't vote so you chose to give it to whoever came third and applied like it's the Intertoto Cup.

I suggest stop moaning every year (and getting arsey when you ask for suggestions then get them) and / or get rid of the silly No Homers Club 'pre-requisite' that's evidently the cause of the incessant moaning. But hey it's an open forum, so just as you can wallow every year, everyone else can reply to it.

12 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Erm... it's a bit of a theme that you guys (same avatar so can't tell who's who) moan every year that barely anyone's voted and that awards are sullied because the actual winner didn't vote so you chose to give it to whoever came third and applied like it's the Intertoto Cup.

I suggest stop moaning every year (and getting arsey when you ask for suggestions then get them) and / or get rid of the silly No Homers Club 'pre-requisite' that's evidently the cause of the incessant moaning. But hey it's an open forum, so just as you can wallow every year, everyone else can reply to it.

Yes, those avatars with different names next to them can be very complicated to keep up with. 

I'm very new as a Mod, but I don't see the moaning that you refer to, expect your own moan. And lets have it right, it is you moaning here. Reminders that the Vote page is live and you need to vote to be considered for an Award you're nominated for, are simply that. I don't think anyone believes Mark was moaning about people missing out on an award due to not voting. It's no skin off his back after all, is it?

Traditionally in this corner of the Forums, the Awards are made into quite a big deal, And rightly so, a lot of people put a lot of work into their stories here. You know that though, your own story ran for what, five or six years? So it's not a huge ask for the community members to take 15 minutes or so to vote for what they like, and what has kept them entertained here over the last 12 months. I don't know what you mean by 'No-Homers Club' comment I'm afraid. That would infer we are preventing people from voting, which obviously isn't the case at all. Incessant moaning? Is that factual? 

So, thank you for your suggestion, consider it noted, as it has been every year you've made it and 'moaned' about it. But I can tell you with absolute confidence right now, that the rule that requires you to vote in order to be considered for an Award in FMS will not be amended at this point. Many apologies if that sounds 'arsey', but I won't be wallowing over it.

If you do have any other suggestions, please do feel free to PM them to me by all means. They're very welcome. But there is no need for this particular suggestion to continue to be brought up each year, it should be considered as dealt with.

6 hours ago, neilhoskins77 said:

Yes, those avatars with different names next to them can be very complicated to keep up with.

And I stop reading, your intent in this reply is clear.

For the love of God, stop the moaning! I literally wrote to stop moaning and being arsey when people reply to it eeeevery year, especially if you aren't prepared to fix it, and instead you double-down.

Edited by git2thachoppa

44 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

And I stop reading, your intent in this reply is clear.

For the love of God, stop the moaning! I literally wrote to stop moaning and being arsey when people reply to it eeeevery year, especially if you aren't prepared to fix it, and instead you double-down.

My intent? None

I'm not the one moaning, I've replied to your moan. The issue is that you don't like what you're reading. No one is being arsey with you. You don't like the rule, and that's unfortunate. Thanks again for letting us know. It's appreciated. As far as I'm concerned, it's conversation over here regarding this.

2 hours ago, neilhoskins77 said:

My intent? None

I'm not the one moaning

Your intent was clear, as it is with this response. Reply to me when you're prepared to talk normally rather than score meaningless internet points, make comebacks and just go "no you!"

Or stop moaning at any time... I get it, you don't like that the winners don't win and no one votes. We get it every year. Stahp it.

Edited by git2thachoppa

7 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Or stop moaning at any time... I get it, you don't like that the winners don't win and no one votes. We get it every year. Stahp it.

No one's saying that TBH.

FMS used to be a very participatory forum, and the Awards were meant as recognition for those who put in the effort to keep it the way it is. It's not just about writing stories, but keeping the community spirit going.

We're all friends here (at least I'd like to think so). Instead of being cold and sniping, I'd rather we try to support each other in every which way we can.

2 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

No one's saying that TBH.

FMS used to be a very participatory forum, and the Awards were meant as recognition for those who put in the effort to keep it the way it is. It's not just about writing stories, but keeping the community spirit going.

We're all friends here (at least I'd like to think so). Instead of being cold and sniping, I'd rather we try to support each other in every which way we can.

But they do say it. Every year. Multiple times every year. Moan about only 3 people voted, only 5 people voted. Moan that this year the winners didn't win when they choose to have that rule, moaned about that the year before, the year before that. Moan about some awards being cancelled. Groundhog Day.

Then magically that changes when an outsider comments on it - now the awards are so amazing and we gotta score points with comebacks and tell ourselves he has a problem with our prestigious awards. Yeah that must be it! And this coming from mods. SI forum being SI forum.

45 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

But they do say it. Every year. Multiple times every year. Moan about only 3 people voted, only 5 people voted. Moan that this year the winners didn't win when they choose to have that rule, moaned about that the year before, the year before that. Moan about some awards being cancelled. Groundhog Day.

Then magically that changes when an outsider comments on it - now the awards are so amazing and we gotta score points with comebacks and tell ourselves he has a problem with our prestigious awards. Yeah that must be it! And this coming from mods. SI forum being SI forum.

There’s a world of difference between a reminder and a moan.

43 minutes ago, neilhoskins77 said:

There’s a world of difference between a reminder and a moan.

Yet you couldn't tell that difference. The difference between a comment and a years-long gripe / vendetta too, but your Occam's Razor was that the latter was less crazy.

Next, should we go into how you keep this forum around literally to keep it away from the SI community unwashed masses and have your own tucked away club er "community" or shall we save that completely unrelated elephant for your next tantrum?

Edited by git2thachoppa

3 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

I don't really have any skin in this game, but I ask this out of genuine curiosity

@git2thachoppa, why are you here?

I had a story, which is done (for now or forever). This forum is one of many I might go on when a few seconds need to be killed. Maybe read a few stories or whatever's in this thread rather than the general discussions forum due to its infamous toxic nature.

Whether that continues is another thing. And I don't mean because, keeping with the theme of exclusive clubs, the mod team have coincidentally been stalking this thread and my profile for the past day since neilhoskins77 burst in to get personal and score points like a mighty internet warrior and presumably have a whine about me on the mod forum.

I haven't posted on - or even logged onto - these forums for nigh on three months because of personal issues (and issues with certain parts of the forum) which I won't get into right now. But I still lurk around FMS every now and then, and seeing as things are getting a bit heated over something so trivial, I thought I'd break my silence.

50 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I had a story, which is done (for now or forever). This forum is one of many I might go on when a few seconds need to be killed. Maybe read a few stories or whatever's in this thread rather than the general discussions forum due to its infamous toxic nature.

Whether that continues is another thing. And I don't mean because, keeping with the theme of exclusive clubs, the mod team have coincidentally been stalking this thread and my profile for the past day since neilhoskins77 burst in to get personal and score points like a mighty internet warrior and presumably have a whine about me on the mod forum.

I hate to say it, but if anyone's having a tantrum or whining over this, then it's probably you. You're the only one who's getting personal, taking your frustration over your story's lack of recognition out unfairly on Neil and (to a lesser extent) Mark.

The awards are just a little bit of fun. Awards night is a time to celebrate our favourite stories of the past year, but also - more importantly - to celebrate what's left of a wonderful but smaller corner of the SI Community.

If you want to take something from this community (an award), you should be expected to give something in return (i.e. your votes for your favourite stories). George R. R. Martin could theoretically come on here for a month, write the greatest story in FMS history, and then bugger off without engaging with the community. Would it be fair, then, if he won any awards?

It's okay if you just want to do your own thing and don't want to engage with other writers. Just don't get all uppity and take it out on other people, especially not new mods who don't need the hassle.

And for what it's worth, removing the "you must buy a ticket to win the lottery" pre-requisite wouldn't suddenly make more people vote or engage with FMS or anything. It's just a matter of fact that people don't exclusively write about FM saves on the official forums as much in 2020 as they did in 2003. This community's target audience would probably prefer to write on FM Career Updates (where they can use screenshots) or get into blogging, making YouTube videos or live-streaming.

There are times when I do genuinely fear for FMS and worry that it will go the same way as the LLM sub-forum did. Hopefully, that day is a long way off, but what FMS needs to survive is new blood - not a silly little rule change to some non-existent awards.

Edited by CFuller

31 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I haven't posted on - or even logged onto - these forums for nigh on three months because of personal issues (and issues with certain parts of the forum) which I won't get into right now. But I still lurk around FMS every now and then, and seeing as things are getting a bit heated over something so trivial, I thought I'd break my silence.

I hate to say it, but if anyone's having a tantrum or whining over this, then it's probably you. You're the only one who's getting personal, taking your frustration over your story's lack of recognition out unfairly on Neil and (to a lesser extent) Mark.

The awards are just a little bit of fun. Awards night is a time to celebrate our favourite stories of the past year, but also - more importantly - to celebrate what's left of a wonderful but smaller corner of the SI Community.

If you want to take something from this community (an award), you should be expected to give something in return (i.e. your votes for your favourite stories). George R. R. Martin could theoretically come on here for a month, write the greatest story in FMS history, and then bugger off without engaging with the community. Would it be fair, then, if he won any awards?

It's okay if you just want to do your own thing and don't want to engage with other writers. Just don't get all uppity and take it out on other people, especially not new mods who don't need the hassle.

And for what it's worth, removing the "you must buy a ticket to win the lottery" pre-requisite wouldn't suddenly make more people vote or engage with FMS or anything. It's just a matter of fact that people don't exclusively write about FM saves on the official forums as much in 2020 as they did in 2003. This community's target audience would probably prefer to write on FM Career Updates (where they can use screenshots) or get into blogging, making YouTube videos or live-streaming.

There are times when I do genuinely fear for FMS and worry that it will go the same way as the LLM sub-forum did. Hopefully, that day is a long way off, but what FMS needs to survive is new blood - not a silly little rule change to some non-existent awards.

If you scroll up, you'll see Neil was the first to make it personal and to get uppity. I cut him off several times when his replies showed that trend would continue. I didn't even reply to him initially either, so he's gone out of his way to... 'engage' with me and in that way

It's strange you think my story lacked recognition. It got *checks* 100,000 views over both threads, 2k per update, and was the longest running. I understand why you'd go the jealousy angle but it doesn't make sense here. It also pretty arrogant to call your awards recognition. I reiterate this is the SI community, yours isn't above the rest of the site in value. And as we've heard every year, these awards only get a handful of votes anyway, the winner doesn't even win sometimes, so it's a strange stance. If I wanted awards, don't you think I would've done what some no doubt do and rig the vote to qualify?

An award isn't taking something from a community, it's something given. To ask whether it would be fair to give someone an award for something award-worthy if they didn't 'engage with the community' is a bizarre concept. Can you read that back with a clear head and see how silly that looks? Think of all the major awards out there. This is a story forum, not a lawn and picket fence. Everyone should be welcome and appreciated, not demanded to contribute more.

If new mods don't want hassle, my logical suggestion (I know those are antagonistic to some!) would not be to create any or try to start any.

Removing the vote rigging wouldn't make more people vote, but it's not supposed to. It stops the never-ending complaint that the winners don't win, though. If you want your awards to have "recognition" as you say, that'd help too. Hence the Intertoto comparison. Arsey mods refusing to change old ways and moaning about lack of activity has no doubt contributed to people not bothering with staying, like with me, and just as with Neil's stunt.

Edited by git2thachoppa

Right then people....I would recommend we put an end to this before things get silly and insults start getting personal. I havent wanted to get involved as I have stuff personally going on and dont want to been drawn into more stuff. 

I'm calling an end to this now. We all have different opinions and unlike other parts of the forum I dont want it getting like I've said before silly and personal

Cheers

Mark

You don't come on the forums for a few weeks and you miss it all...

FWIW I haven't voted for years because I don't have the time to read any stories these days. I only usually come on to do the predictions league, quickly scan through marks stories and this thread. This forum is nowhere near as busy as it was ten years ago and i'd put the lack of votes down simply to less people on these days.

On 14/08/2020 at 08:55, salkster2102 said:

You don't come on the forums for a few weeks and you miss it all...

FWIW I haven't voted for years because I don't have the time to read any stories these days. I only usually come on to do the predictions league, quickly scan through marks stories and this thread. This forum is nowhere near as busy as it was ten years ago and i'd put the lack of votes down simply to less people on these days.

Be honest, you don't read my threads because I took the prediction league title ;)

I've been away a while as well, hope all of you are keeping safe, and for the most part sane! 

On 01/08/2020 at 17:20, BenArsenal said:

Anyway, sorry I haven't been around as much, but things have been a bit complicated at home recently.

I'll send my votes for the FMS Awards to Mark shortly, but I probably won't be here as often now. I'll still pop by to read sometimes though.

You guys take care.

Sorry to hear that Ben, hope you are ok, make sure to take care.

On 21/08/2020 at 23:35, Mandy42 said:

Be honest, you don't read my threads because I took the prediction league title ;)

I've been away a while as well, hope all of you are keeping safe, and for the most part sane! 

True story! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My 2020/21 Premier League predictions. What will I get spectacularly wrong this year?

1. Manchester City - Yeah, they might not have Messi (yet), but once City sort out their defence, I reckon they'll be unstoppable. Though Pep might be slowly losing his mind, he'll desperately want another title.

2. Liverpool - After the earliest (but latest) title victory in PL history, it'll be tough for Klopp's Reds to sustain their brilliance for a third season. They'll still be some way clear of the other 18 teams, mind.

3. Chelsea - I'm sure there are people who think Chelsea have won the title in this transfer window. While I'm sure Chilwell, Havertz, Werner and co will click together eventually, it might take another season.

4. Manchester United - Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are a dream front three,  but the Keystone Kops would make a less clumsy backline. Bruno Fernandes will keep them in the top 4 on penalties alone.

5. Wolverhampton Wanderers - No European distractions, no key players poached, and more crafty dealings with Jorge Mendes. I reckon it's time for Nuno's free-flowing Wolves to crack the top six.

6. Arsenal - GIVE AUBAMEYANG A NEW CONTRACT ALREADY! Oh, sorry... anyway, despite some early silverware and youthful promise, I doubt Mikel will get us back in the top four quite yet.

7. Tottenham Hotspur - José usually wins big in season 2, but he seems to have gone straight to his miserable third-year self. With a stingy chairman and a frustrating Ndombele, things don't look good for Spuds.

8. Everton - The erratic Toffees have spent big in recent years and constantly come unstuck. Carlo Ancelotti is a world-class manager, and Jimmy Rod is pretty special too, but can they make a difference?

9. Southampton - Who'd have thought that losing 9-0 to Leicester would transform the Saints? Danny Ings has become a goal machine, and the board's patience in Hasenhuttl continues to pay off.

10. Leicester City - The Foxes had a shocking second-class collapse worthy of any naive FM player. I expect further struggles now that Chilwell's gone, Vardy's turning 34, and Rodgers' ego is consuming him.

11. Brighton & Hove Albion - Graham Potter and the Intriguing Mixture of Exotically Named Imports and Lower-League Bargains. With Old Man Murray having moved on, I expect the revitalised Seagulls to flourish.

12. Leeds United - They're back after 16 years... and with a more competent manager than Peter Reid too. United's team was already PL-quality, and Spain striker Rodrigo's arrival makes them a genuine force.

13. Sheffield United - Can Chris Wilder's wonders keep it up after an impressive first year? I doubt if, but if Sander Berge fulfils his potential, the Blades should avoid a nasty case of second-season syndrome.

14. Burnley - There's discontent at Turf Moor, with Sir Sean Dyche not getting the backing he needs to beef up Burnley. Their survival probably depends on them keeping hold of Dyche and/or Dwight McNeil.

15. West Ham United - East London isn't exactly United either, thanks to yet more disastrous signings (and even less explicable sales). Unbelievably, David Moyes might be the only man who can keep the Irons safe!

16. Crystal Palace - Hodgson's becoming outdated, Zaha is overrated, and even Milivojevic has been usurped as the PL's penalty king. The Eagles badly need a goalscorer or they're in trouble.

17. West Bromwich Albion - Our favourite Croatian socialist rocker Slaven Bilic has returned to the top flight. Signing loanees Pereira and Diangana full-time could be the key to the Baggies' survival.

18. Aston Villa - Dean Smith's Villans stayed up by the skins of their teeth last term, but I'm not confident about them this year. Their defence is a liability and their attack is far too reliant on Jack Grealish.

19. Newcastle United - After another failed takeover, the atmosphere on Tyneside is becoming seriously toxic. As much as we all love Allan Saint-Maximin, I don't see how he can save the chaotic Magpies.

20. Fulham - I fear that rookie manager Scott Parker and his ragtag bunch will be WAY out of their depth after winning the play-offs. At least the Cottagers haven't spent £100million on failures this time.

I'd swap Palace or West Brom for Newcastle.

Newcastle stayed up with a top scorer in Shelvey with a mighty 6 goals from midfield last season. Having added Callum Wilson and Fraser from relegated Bournemouth should be the shot in the arm they need to stay up.

I'm not convinced Chelsea have "won the title in this transfer window" I'm terrified!

Now don't get me wrong, I am excited about the signings, heck I am buying FM21 purely on the merit of  managing this Chelsea squad. However in real life £200M spent means top 4 isn't the achievement it was last season, and Roman has fired inexperienced managers for a lot less.

Coupled with how well Mount / Pulisic / Abraham all played last season, they are not going to see the game time they got last year when you've spent £200M in players for comparable positions. Only Havertz has made it into my fantasy football team because I honestly can't decide out of the rest who is going to play.

Add in on top of that, the fact that two centre backs (we signed 3 but 1 has been loaned straight back out again) and a frequently injured attack minded wingback is not the shot in the arm our horrendous defence from last season needs, and I have less optimism this season than I did last season 

4 minutes ago, Mandy42 said:

I'm not convinced Chelsea have "won the title in this transfer window" I'm terrified!

Now don't get me wrong, I am excited about the signings, heck I am buying FM21 purely on the merit of  managing this Chelsea squad. However in real life £200M spent means top 4 isn't the achievement it was last season, and Roman has fired inexperienced managers for a lot less.

Coupled with how well Mount / Pulisic / Abraham all played last season, they are not going to see the game time they got last year when you've spent £200M in players for comparable positions. Only Havertz has made it into my fantasy football team because I honestly can't decide out of the rest who is going to play.

Add in on top of that, the fact that two centre backs (we signed 3 but 1 has been loaned straight back out again) and a frequently injured attack minded wingback is not the shot in the arm our horrendous defence from last season needs, and I have less optimism this season than I did last season 

By that phrase, I mean that that quite a few people (and not necessarily Chelsea fans) seemed to equate 'spending a lot of money on good young players' to 'doing great business'. But of course, that's not always the case, and it will take time for those players to gel.

Chelsea's transfer spending has been quite top-heavy, especially when you look at who you've got in midfield and attack already. Chilwell aside, none of your defensive recruitments convince me. Thiago Silva's a great centre-back but has probably come into the PL too late, Malang Sarr's probably not ready, and would Mendy really be an upgrade on Kepa? I doubt it.

So yeah, I can understand why you might not be so optimistic.