Very low transfer bids on my players

To the OP @Maccabist, if your lucky enough to get a news item saying xxxxxx is interested in signing one of your players, do what I do, stick a valuation on your player, straight away, I usually go around double what the value is, the interest will soon fade. If the offer comes out of the blue then reject it and then stick your valuation on the player, then if another offer comes you have at least stated what you think he is worth. If the clubs are serious they will meet you somewhere in-between, but negotiate hard and you will get better deals. The valuation you put on a player is down to how much you rate him. On 18 I had a 22y/o who was ok I'd bought him through the youth he was a good backup player, solid player, but only ever going to be a backup for me, his value was a little over £7m somebody bid his value I rejected it, stuck £26m value on him, they came back and bought him for £21m the next window, Kerching!! You got to be as ridiculous as the AI is get good deals. Also don't you try and lo-ball when buying a player, I know I do, But the AI bids are ludicrous, I know, so play it at it's own game.

4 hours ago, Boomer Ang said:

Yes but funny was referred to the fact that if I sell them the AI offers 20M for Marcus Example 21 yrs wonderkid but if ai buy Marcus Example 21 yrs wonderkid from the AI the price is 200M.

that is funny or weird or Marcus Example is cheating on his age because he is 39

It's not funny at all.

In your first example you're trying to sell him. You're never going to get as much for a player you're actively trying to get rid of.

In your second example the AI don't want to sell. A player is going to be a lot more expensive if the team wants to keep him compared to if you transfer list him.

Part of the reason of why I loved playing football manager is that I could sell who I liked and bring in who I wanted with the funds. It's MY game. Now I'm faced with 'clever' AI that won't bid on my players? Nah it's killing it for me.

As if NOBODY wants to sign otamendi, fernandinho, Kompany, Silva and Aguero at the start of a new game for free?? You can try and defend the AI all you want over this but it's a not realistic. 

1 hour ago, Bothan Spy said:

Part of the reason of why I loved playing football manager is that I could sell who I liked and bring in who I wanted with the funds. It's MY game. Now I'm faced with 'clever' AI that won't bid on my players? Nah it's killing it for me.

As if NOBODY wants to sign otamendi, fernandinho, Kompany, Silva and Aguero at the start of a new game for free?? You can try and defend the AI all you want over this but it's a not realistic. 

Clubs have quite complete squads and little funds at the start of the game, so dont expect mentioned players to go in the first window. There's just few clubs that could affor their wages plus the buying club must have very high reputation since except real, Barca, Bayern, PSG and Juve every other club is a step down for them. Now tell me why and where should they go in the first window.

But there isn't any logic in you trying to give them away for free. You're trying to do something that doesn't make any sense, and you expect the AI treat it logically.

I offered to pay 100% of their wages and still not a flicker of interest! 

You can't tell me that no club in the world is interested in signing said players for free and I am willing to pay their wages??

Of course I'm not going to let them go for that, I just wanted to highlight how the AI is flawed.

It's just become virtually impossible to flog experienced players and even when you attempt to sell them, the whole squad becomes upset about it. 

And even if I do want to sell a player for nothing, why is it an issue and why is the AI refusing to touch them with a barge pole?

There is an option at the beginning of the game to turn off transfer budgets. Yet when I start a new game in June, i have virtually no funds. Doesn't make sense.

The transfer market is dead at the start of a new game. Killing the fun.

Maybe you should try to read sometimes. Clubs have quite complete squads => no need to buy. Dont forget in free transfers of such high profile players there are tens of milions in signing bonuses and agent fees. Those players dont want to move right now. They are high profile => very few clubs could attract them. Transfer market is good you just needs to be reasonable and think.

The transfer market in the first window is more realistic now, as it was stated here many times, the clubs have already made their major transfers. 

There is an in-game editor, where you can move players, release players, changing transfer budgets etc. 

3 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

You can't tell me that no club in the world is interested in signing said players for free and I am willing to pay their wages??

Of course I'm not going to let them go for that, I just wanted to highlight how the AI is flawed.

It's just become virtually impossible to flog experienced players and even when you attempt to sell them, the whole squad becomes upset about it. 

And even if I do want to sell a player for nothing, why is it an issue and why is the AI refusing to touch them with a barge pole?

There is an option at the beginning of the game to turn off transfer budgets. Yet when I start a new game in June, i have virtually no funds. Doesn't make sense.

Because the teams have already made their transfers for the summer. That's why they have all the players who they brought in IRL already. Their window is complete.

The second season when teams get new budgets is when the transfer market takes off.

I'm not disputing that clubs have made their signings (even if I disagree with it seeing as the game starts in June and not when the game is released!), I just think the game has hamstrung managers at the start of a new save.

It's abundantly clear that the AI has no interest in signing your players when you take over a new club. There's no point trying to stamp your authority and get rid of a few ageing stars to generate funds and bring in some younger players you can develop. There's no point trying to get rid of an injury prone 32yr old because the AI refuses to acknowledge them. There's no point trying to get rid of a world class 30yr old striker that is earning too much because nobody cares or has any money. 

You're pretty much stuck with who you have at the start of a new game in June which I find boring and unrealistic. 

3 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

I'm not disputing that clubs have made their signings (even if I disagree with it seeing as the game starts in June and not when the game is released!), I just think the game has hamstrung managers at the start of a new save.

It's abundantly clear that the AI has no interest in signing your players when you take over a new club. There's no point trying to stamp your authority and get rid of a few ageing stars to generate funds and bring in some younger players you can develop. There's no point trying to get rid of an injury prone 32yr old because the AI refuses to acknowledge them. There's no point trying to get rid of a world class 30yr old striker that is earning too much because nobody cares or has any money. 

You're pretty much stuck with who you have at the start of a new game in June which I find boring and unrealistic. 

roflmao you are beyond repair. Repeating the same over and over. You are unrealistic. Just use pre-game editor and move the players you want if you cant understand the game.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Bothan Spy:

Go on holiday for a season, take over the team and you have what you want.

11 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

If you think it's boring that's up to you. It certainly isn't unrealistic though.

What would be unrealistic is a team that already spent 100 million get a whole new transfer budget for no reason even though they haven't played a match yet.

Getting rid of 30+ year old players who are top earners is Impossible at the start of a new game. Enough said. 

I'm not asking for miracles or breaking the game, but if I decide that I dislike Aguero and try to flog him because I want to generate funds, then I expect realistic interest. Zero interest is just silly and unrealistic. 

9 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

That's only 100% of their current wages, and so doesn't take into account any wage increase any prospective teams might be expecting to pay. Additionally, that 100% wage payment only covers the remaining contract the player had with your team, so the new team would have to pay all of the wages once the old contract runs out.

Finally, as others have said, you are doing entirely illogical things, and then expecting the AI to act logically, which is just silly.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Bothan Spy:

The game starts at the end of June. Not November 2nd. In June teams have funds. If you want 'realism' then have the squads represent what they start with in June. Not November. 

You could also set the starting date of your saved game when the season starts (Mid August), if you want more realism.

It was always a compromise to provide a db that comes with the summer transfers, but let the people start the game in June. 

So the game has become a little bit more realistic for the first transfer window. 

If you want it to play you did it in the past, you need to find a way - not the game. 

There are various options. Use the pre-game or in-game editor. Go on holiday until the winter transfer window or the next summer. 

Does it really make a difference, if you start your career in 2019 instead of 2018? 

Getting rid of 30+ year old players who are top earners is Impossible at the start of a new game. Enough said. 

I'm not asking for miracles or breaking the game, but if I decide that I dislike Aguero and try to flog him because I want to generate funds, then I expect realistic interest. Zero interest is just silly and unrealistic. 

Zero interest when nobody has any money is unrealistic? Do you want them to pay aguero in monopoly money? Bus passes? Free pies from the canteen?

I'm currently managing Everton and wanted to get rid of Maarten Stekelenburg but no team has shown interest in him, not even for 0€ price tag and after he agreed that he should move out of the club and has no future in here so he would surely be accepting any reasonable contract offer in a club where he could be a starter. His wages aren't crazy high and considering a team can make an offer in which the selling team pays a percentage of the players wage, it doesn't seem to make much sense why no one wants him, not even for loan either with no fees and no salary support so basically completely free...he can't be that bad, surely he would be good for a championship team. This happens more often than not with certain players, its frustrating when you make plans to offload a few players in order to bring new ones and then that ends up going downhill because there will be one or two maybe even three players that wont leave no matter what, they wont accept mutual contact termination even when agreeing that they should move on and releasing them ends up costing a lot so you really dont want to be going that way. Stekelenburg release would cost 4 million € which is just not worth it, his value is less than that.

Going to assume this is first season. Stekelenburg starts with a CA of

Spoiler

, on a wage of £30k per week. There are five goalkeepers better than him already in the Championship, and a further eleven who are either the same or within 5 CA all bar one of whom are on significantly lower wages - between the cost, dressing room disruption, needing to get rid of this existing keeper, time needed for him to integrate with his defence, and Stekelenburg being close to a retirement/rapidly losing ability age, the minor upgrade is almost certainly not worthwhile for them. So what you've got is a player who would be a worthwhile proposition for a bottom-end Championship or high-end League One club, on a top-end Championship/bottom-end Premier League wage. He may well be happy to leave Everton, but you're asking him to move down at least one division, to a much less reputable club with inferior facilities, and to pay over a million pounds (£10k per week less after tax over his remaining two-year Everton contract) for the privilege when he's never likely to get a better chance to earn that sort of money. Just to add to the problem, like many older players his reputation is better than his ability - therefore he's likely to expect to play at a higher level than he's actually worthwhile for. Those clubs who'd be interested know full well that he won't be, and so don't waste their time and damage relations with his agent - if they actually want a goalkeeper of that quality, there's almost certainly options who are cheaper, younger, and easier to sign. Your best option if you have the league loaded is probably for Ajax to take him back to his native Holland as a backup, where he'd be happier to move and possibly take a wage cut especially if you wait till he's only got a year left under contract. But this is one of those scenarios where it's perfectly possible and realistic that you'll just have to wait for the contract to expire like many clubs have to at this level with their backup players, and make sure you bear in mind the hugely inflated wages in the Premier League and thus the difficulty in selling when you offer contracts to older or backup players.

4 minutos atrás, Spurs08 disse:

Going to assume this is first season. Stekelenburg starts with a CA of

Ocultar conteúdo

, on a wage of £30k per week. There are five goalkeepers better than him already in the Championship, and a further eleven who are either the same or within 5 CA all bar one of whom are on significantly lower wages - between the cost, dressing room disruption, needing to get rid of this existing keeper, time needed for him to integrate with his defence, and Stekelenburg being close to a retirement/rapidly losing ability age, the minor upgrade is almost certainly not worthwhile for them. So what you've got is a player who would be a worthwhile proposition for a bottom-end Championship or high-end League One club, on a top-end Championship/bottom-end Premier League wage. He may well be happy to leave Everton, but you're asking him to move down at least one division, to a much less reputable club with inferior facilities, and to pay over a million pounds (£10k per week less after tax over his remaining two-year Everton contract) for the privilege when he's never likely to get a better chance to earn that sort of money. Just to add to the problem, like many older players his reputation is better than his ability - therefore he's likely to expect to play at a higher level than he's actually worthwhile for. Those clubs who'd be interested know full well that he won't be, and so don't waste their time and damage relations with his agent - if they actually want a goalkeeper of that quality, there's almost certainly options who are cheaper, younger, and easier to sign. Your best option if you have the league loaded is probably for Ajax to take him back to his native Holland as a backup, where he'd be happier to move and possibly take a wage cut especially if you wait till he's only got a year left under contract. But this is one of those scenarios where it's perfectly possible and realistic that you'll just have to wait for the contract to expire like many clubs have to at this level with their backup players, and make sure you bear in mind the hugely inflated wages in the Premier League and thus the difficulty in selling when you offer contracts to older or backup players.

I do have the dutch league loaded but no interest has come from there. Thing is, I offered him for free, nothing, 0, all a club would have to do is bid on him and they could get themselves a solid backup without any expenses since my last resort was putting him on load with Everton paying his full wages and still no interest whatsoever. I'm sure some teams are lacking a decent backup keeper in their squad. He agreed to move, said he understood that there is no place in the team for him and so leaving would be the best option, that must have some influence in his expectations and demands when receiving transfer and contract offers and lets not forget that as far as transfer bids go, teams can demand for the selling club to pay a percentage of the players wages but in this case, no matter what I do, the player is simply impossible to offload without having him being released out of his contract. I find it hard to believe that irl Everton wouldn't be able to move him out of the club if they really wanted to. And this scenario has happened to me with several other players on different teams, I do think there is a bit of an issue here, we can argue many things but we can't argue that 0 is affordable to anyone so when you try to literaly give away a player like that who already agreed to leave in order to make space for a new signing and no one is even remotely interested out of so many clubs in the databse something is wrong isn't it? 

26 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

I do have the dutch league loaded but no interest has come from there. Thing is, I offered him for free, nothing, 0, all a club would have to do is bid on him and they could get themselves a solid backup without any expenses since my last resort was putting him on load with Everton paying his full wages and still no interest whatsoever. I'm sure some teams are lacking a decent backup keeper in their squad. He agreed to move, said he understood that there is no place in the team for him and so leaving would be the best option, that must have some influence in his expectations and demands when receiving transfer and contract offers and lets not forget that as far as transfer bids go, teams can demand for the selling club to pay a percentage of the players wages but in this case, no matter what I do, the player is simply impossible to offload without having him being released out of his contract. I find it hard to believe that irl Everton wouldn't be able to move him out of the club if they really wanted to. And this scenario has happened to me with several other players on different teams, I do think there is a bit of an issue here, we can argue many things but we can't argue that 0 is affordable to anyone so when you try to literaly give away a player like that who already agreed to leave in order to make space for a new signing and no one is even remotely interested out of so many clubs in the databse something is wrong isn't it? 

Why on Earth would he want to go from being a backup at Everton, where he might if others are injured get playing time at a top-half Premier League team, and go through all the hassle of moving clubs (new teammates, new town, possible family disruption), to be a backup for a Championship team? He's got zero incentive to do that. He's on brilliant money for someone of his age and ability, so the only thing likely to tempt him to move is if he can get a somewhat similar wage (or lower wage with a longer contract) as well as playing time at a decent level. And even if you were to subsidise his wages, a lower-end Championship team - again, the highest level where he's likely to be useful as a starter) - would still have all the other negatives I mentioned, plus the potential detriment to squad harmoney of having somebody earn three to five times as much as anyone else in the team gets.

What you can do is run a bit of an experiment for yourself on this. Save the game, and add a new manager at a team you think should be interested. Get a scout report on Stekelenberg, set a scouting assignment to look for other first-team goalies, make a transfer offer for him, and then obviously accept that yourself as Everton manager. Then you should be able to find out why they're not bidding - e.g. because Stekelenberg isn't willing to go there, or because the scout/assistant isn't giving him a good rating and doesn't think he's worthwhile or any better than the current keeper, or because within a few weeks the scouts find somebody with a better overall reccomendation the club could get instead.

I've just done this with Sheffield United and Leeds - two of the best teams for whom he'd be a real improvement - and fell at the first hurdle. Before I can even negotiate with him, he flat-out says he's not interested. In particular he's only just signed his new Everton contract which makes things even harder. So I started again, and tried to get to a similar situation to what you have. I had a chat with Stekelenberg about being transfer-listed, which he accepted. Did so and offered him out, then spoke to him again when there was no interest - he said he'd be very happy to try and find a new club. Then I took over the same two teams again, but with the same result - he wasn't even willing to consider an offer. So that's your problem in this case: the only level of clubs he'd be any good for, he has no intention of moving to. Despite what he's telling you, he's quite content to sit around as a backup earning a small fortune, and is only really interested in a move that doesn't have any downside for him - he isn't willing to drop a level. That's likely to change as time goes on, he gets even worse, and most importantly his contract length gets shorter, but for now there's nothing you can reasonably do.

2 hours ago, CEVR1996 said:

I'm currently managing Everton and wanted to get rid of Maarten Stekelenburg

After 4 different saves, I've not had a problem offloading him at the end of the first season, and 3/4 he came to me and said he was homesick, though he never went back to Holland, the other I got rid of him following season end of contract.

34 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Why on Earth would he want to go from being a backup at Everton, where he might if others are injured get playing time at a top-half Premier League team, and go through all the hassle of moving clubs (new teammates, new town, possible family disruption), to be a backup for a Championship team? He's got zero incentive to do that.

Spot on.

12 minutos atrás, Spurs08 disse:

Why on Earth would he want to go from being a backup at Everton, where he might if others are injured get playing time at a top-half Premier League team, and go through all the hassle of moving clubs (new teammates, new town, possible family disruption), to be a backup for a Championship team? He's got zero incentive to do that. He's on brilliant money for someone of his age and ability, so the only thing likely to tempt him to move is if he can get a somewhat similar wage (or lower wage with a longer contract) as well as playing time at a decent level. And even if you were to subsidise his wages, a lower-end Championship team - again, the highest level where he's likely to be useful as a starter) - would still have all the other negatives I mentioned, plus the potential detriment to squad harmoney of having somebody earn three to five times as much as anyone else in the team gets.

What you can do is run a bit of an experiment for yourself on this. Save the game, and add a new manager at a team you think should be interested. Get a scout report on Stekelenberg, set a scouting assignment to look for other first-team goalies, make a transfer offer for him, and then obviously accept that yourself as Everton manager. Then you should be able to find out why they're not bidding - e.g. because Stekelenberg isn't willing to go there, or because the scout/assistant isn't giving him a good rating and doesn't think he's worthwhile or any better than the current keeper, or because within a few weeks the scouts find somebody with a better overall reccomendation the club could get instead.

I've just done this with Sheffield United and Leeds - two of the best teams for whom he'd be a real improvement - and fell at the first hurdle. Before I can even negotiate with him, he flat-out says he's not interested. In particular he's only just signed his new Everton contract which makes things even harder. So I started again, and tried to get to a similar situation to what you have. I had a chat with Stekelenberg about being transfer-listed, which he accepted. Did so and offered him out, then spoke to him again when there was no interest - he said he'd be very happy to try and find a new club. Then I took over the same two teams again, but with the same result - he wasn't even willing to consider an offer. So that's your problem in this case: the only level of clubs he'd be any good for, he has no intention of moving to. Despite what he's telling you, he's quite content to sit around as a backup earning a small fortune, and is only really interested in a move that doesn't have any downside for him - he isn't willing to drop a level. That's likely to change as time goes on, he gets even worse, and most importantly his contract length gets shorter, but for now there's nothing you can reasonably do.

Unfortunately in this case it does seem like there isn't anything I can do about it but like I said before, this has happened with other players on different teams and leagues which would be good enough for the level they currently were playing at, yet once again, couldn't get rid of them, not even for 0 or by offering them for loan while supporting the full wages.

7 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

Unfortunately in this case it does seem like there isn't anything I can do about it but like I said before, this has happened with other players on different teams and leagues which would be good enough for the level they currently were playing at, yet once again, couldn't get rid of them, not even for 0 or by offering them for loan while supporting the full wages.

I'm willing to bet they'll be similar. You need to bear in mind that for a team to make an offer, they have to think that a) the player will be a significant advantage over what they have, b) they can reasonable be afforded, and c) they'll be interested in joining. It's very often c) which is the problem and that's one you can test for very easily. And as I said before, if you're in the Premier League selling your junk is much harder because it's almost certainly paid very generously.

23 minutos atrás, toffee71 disse:

After 4 different saves, I've not had a problem offloading him at the end of the first season, and 3/4 he came to me and said he was homesick, though he never went back to Holland, the other I got rid of him following season end of contract.

Spot on.

To answer that question, perhaps because some players like playing games and not rot on the bench but dont know if that logic applies to the game, of course this being if the team making an offer for him offered him a first team role. Some players wont mind having a pay cut in order to have a more important role in the team and play a lot more games. Considering Stekelenburg is likely close to retirement maybe he would like to end his career with some good playtime under his belt instead of being remember as the backup goalkeeper of Everton. Its not like he hasn't earned large amounts of money throughout his career already but maybe not everyone thinks that way although these cases I mentioned do happen irl. Anyway, this is just a game so perhaps coming up with real life logic to explain events that happen in this virtual world isn't the most accurate way to come up with conclusions, its all based on coding afterall, finding up plots for why this or that happens when its not mentioned anywhere in the game itself is like making up fanfiction.

Edit: I quoted the wrong piece of text, sorry about that. It was meant to answer the question to why would he want to leave Everton and yada yada.

But anyway, I'm ok with keeping him, my finances are good, I have a decent amount of money left on the transfer kitty so this isn't really a major concern, maybe in January I could get lucky who knows. All I wanted was to bring a promising young keeper as a backup but I can still do that with Stekelenburg on the squad so its no big deal really, slightly annoying but not game breaking by any chance.

28 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

But anyway, I'm ok with keeping him, my finances are good, I have a decent amount of money left on the transfer kitty so this isn't really a major concern, maybe in January I could get lucky who knows. All I wanted was to bring a promising young keeper as a backup but I can still do that with Stekelenburg on the squad so its no big deal really, slightly annoying but not game breaking by any chance.

I don't play him at all, I use Virginia as my backup and Hansen (very promising this year) as my 3rd choice, so I think I kind of force him out.

16 minutos atrás, toffee71 disse:

I don't play him at all, I use Virginia as my backup and Hansen (very promising this year) as my 3rd choice, so I think I kind of force him out.

Oh definitely, he isn't going to play for sure, not even for the reserves squad. I'll keep him in the first team to make sure of that. His attributes should start declining fast and so will his value. I actually feel sorry for him, he was very accepting of my decision to move him away, its not his fault that no one wants him but oh well, FM is ungrateful for those aging reserve players that most people will want to replace with young exciting prospects.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread because it seems to be one of the only ones about this subject (Found more on dicsussion on reddit than I did on here).

Out of interest has anyone had problems with players values not improving despite significant attribute improvement? I ask this as I am in 2022 with Brescia and Sandro Tonali is only being valued at 10.5m despite him growing into one of the best young DM's in world football.

Maybe I need to wait for his reputation to rise? (it is only rated as "okay" right now by my skin).

If so, how long do you think I need to wait? We're already 4 seasons in and we made the second round of the Europa League and he played many matches in it.

I have set his asking price to 90million, and with the clubs interested maybe I will get some realistic bids this coming transfer window and this post will have been pointless (I hope this is the case).

The in-game value calculation is based on several parameters like CA, PA, home and world reputation, contract size and length and maybe more.  It is a guide only and does not reflect what bids you will necessarily receive or will need to consider.  Younger, high quality players in-game value will rarely be reflected accurately but you can still ask for well over their value when the big clubs come calling.

I had a funny example of this this season for me.

Had an 18 year old newgen  CB on loan from Man U for 2 seasons - 1 in the Championship and one in the Prem. After this Man U wanted to give him a chance in the first team so couldn’t get him back. Signed another CB on loan from Southampton. About 3 days later Man U CB is back on the loan list, but I’ve got too many loans and he goes to Wolves for the season.

Skip to the end and Man U CB is valued at £17.5m and interested in joining me as favoured club and personnel. Offered £17.5m and suggest to get a general gauge what Man U will want....£152m. Never mind.

Started searching for a new CB for 1 week when I see Wolves put a £12m bid in for Man U CB. 

He’s transfer listed with an asking price for £12.5m!

Archived