FM 19 Time 424, 442 Beowulf 4420 Knap

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@priority76 Yep! 4 in 4 now which is something I haven't done for a while - always like to take little clubs up but rare i've done it back to back every season! :) 

I think i'd be a fool to expect a Premier League win in my first season, but I've been pessimistic for both League One and the Championship and won them both! It sounds odd but as I've climbed the leagues though I've seen my team performance levels struggle a bit more (understandably - goals were much harder to come by in the second half of the championship as only 1 striker was really of that level and he got injured)) as it's difficult to bridge the quality gap & loans have pretty much been the saviour - obviously I can loan in the PL too, but i'd end up with a key player out each week so need to keep that in mind (think there are more restrictions in the PL for loans too?). Whilst I just about bridged the quality gap moving between the lower divisions, I think i'm definitely up against it more this year - I was far from the best player for player team in the Championship so am resigned to that even more so looking at United/City/Chelsea etc - I dread to think already what Hazard and Dembele will do for United against my full backs!

One silver lining weirdly is Brexit - annoyed the bottom out of me in the lower leagues finding great players to loan/buy but I couldn't because of the 3k/8k per week work permit restrictions; realised when scouting yesterday that I can laugh in the face of wages like that - even with my comparatively tiny wage budget (my new PL budget still lower than the mean average from the championship!) - and have been able to secure a few players I'm really really excited about/whose quality I just cannot find with non-permit players... On older FM's without brexit I'd never have been able to get these guys/secure a permit so I'm not sure if i like it or am annoyed because it's potentially making the game easier (they haven't arrived/kicked a ball yet so they may be useless!!)? I still cannot find a striker of a good quality that passes my personality test, technical test & is both interested and within my budget, but reckon that's a fair reflection of real life as the lower PL teams always seem to struggle with strikers?

Only other disappointments are that rather than improving our tiny, cosy stadium, the board decided to rent Bolton's stadium for us to use instead;

stadium_move.thumb.png.96b5c48bad13478df08f1016c29de31d.png

Guess at least 405k per year is reasonable? More importantly they STILL won't improve our first team training facilities (due to money) and they're stuck at 'basic' which I believe is bottom three on the quality level - so makes improving any of my players that much harder, but they are improving youth facilities so i'm excited at the thought of being able to bring through one of my own players (finally!) at some point - because we've progressed through the leagues so quickly, any youth guys i've had have quickly been left behind quality wise; my best prospect from two years ago had 4-star potential and is now only 1.5-2 :( 

Have you decided to sacrifice another season of your managerial life to Sheffield, or moved on to pastures new? Got some lovely new tactics above for you to try out if you get the itch back! :D 

EDIT: That feeling when you think you've found the striker who'll solve the problem, finally get his club to agree to a fee, only to discover he's got that 'asshat type agent' who demands 1 million for himself and will only negotiate once! Wish you could tell guys who don't play for you to sack their agent!! :seagull:

Edited by optimusprimal82

13 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

One silver lining weirdly is Brexit

There are no silver linings to brexit my friend, just abject misery and despair.:(

13 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

board decided to rent Bolton's stadium for us to use instead

Um, did you actually read that statement from Dave Woodward?  I sounds like he doesn't hold a very high opinion of the premier league as he refers your moving into that league a 'relegation'.:lol: 

Yeah I posted it into the bugs section already - feel like a pedant telling them about it because so trivial in the whole scheme of things, but on the off-chance it's tied to something game breaking I figured i'd hit them up!

2 games into Prem season, fixture list hans't been kind...!

Got thrashed by Liverpool (Anfield) 2-0, went with the 4411 but soon changed down to the 4141, sadly to no avail, was more damage control - players just not good enough this season to take on the big boys! Couple of my guys are 4-5 stars potential though so maybe next year - provided they improve quick enough, not really been the case with my bog standard training facilities!

Won the second game at home to Palace (also promoted) using the 442.

Next game is Chelsea, then City two games later - they are paying Mbappe more than I pay/can pay my entire squad p/w!! :D 

Edited by optimusprimal82

On 31/01/2019 at 13:37, optimusprimal82 said:

4-4-1-1 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_BASE_v1.1.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_BASE_v1.3.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_CTRLCNTR_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_CTRL_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_SUS_v1.0.fmf

NOTE: the two different versions of BASE relate to tweaks made as teams become more defensive; start with 1.1 if you're unsure, 1.3 attacks with more width which can be useful for breaking down stubborn buses. I also rarely use the CTRL/SUS variants for this tactic now, preferring safety first with the 4-1-4-1 variants - the stronger your team, the less you should have to worry about changing formation too etc.

4-4-2 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_BASE_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_CTRLCNTR_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_CTRL_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_SUS_v1.0.fmf

NOTE: Same again, I rarely use the CTRL/SUS variants for this tactic now, preferring the 4-1-4-1 variants whilst my guys are... inadequate?

4-1-4-1 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_BASE_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_CTRLCNTR_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_CTRL_v1.0.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_SUS_v1.1.fmf

NOTE: The BASE version here is untested by me, but as you can see above in Knap's post it still did pretty awesome in his testing, given the defensive nature I assume it will still work well with lesser sides (just maybe struggle for goal threat compared to the 4-4-1-1/4-4-2!

Some important updates for my CTRL/SUS variants, forgot to modify the set piece instructions to leave 4+ players back to counter the aggressively attacking AI. Note that I haven't made the changes to the CTRLCNTR & BASE versions, they're as set by Knap in the original versions.

Latest versions of all variants below - tested and working (admittedly with a rubbish team against the premier league) on 19.2.3, have kept them as 19.2.2 to keep them in line with Knaps naming convention etc, instructions as in my previous post (quoted above);

4-4-1-1 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_CTRL_v1.1.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4411P112_SUS_v1.1.fmf

4-4-2 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_BASE_v1.1.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_CTRL_v1.1.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap442_SUS_v1.1.fmf

4-1-4-1 (19.2.2)

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_CTRL_v1.1.fmf

FCU_19.2.2TIMEKnap4141_SUS_v1.2.fmf

As for FC United's life in the Premier League, very mixed bag so far - we're really up against it quality wise and it's making for a much more interesting season! Not sure if it's because I'm playing against better defences with less able players but the amount of goals disallowed - something I already thought was high in this years game - is off the charts with 8 now disallowed for my side alone in the 9 games I've played so far - two were in the Stoke game which really annoys as I should have won that game, let alone lose, but such is football! Fixture list hasn't exactly been too kind in giving me games against the top teams so soon, but in some ways i'm glad to just get them out of the way so I can concentrate on teams I have a chance against - slight concern playing City/United back to back of course is the effect on morale!

image.thumb.png.2368071b3609084e4ee4fb614537d3b6.png

image.thumb.png.42e9f45b23580c2c5846f113ac4927f7.png

One common theme seems to be that my team still dominate possession - even against City & Chelsea. We were slightly unfortunate in some ways against City, they were just utterly ruthless every time they had a shot and ended up 3-0 winners - we hit the woodwork twice AND had a goal disallowed so actually pretty encouraging.

image.thumb.png.999beee6def5d50a7b64195a1ee439f9.png

Mentality and tactic are pretty challenging so far. I've conceded goals inside the first ten minutes in nearly all of my games so far (even Newcastle & Stoke) which suggests teams are flying out at me. I normally go with a Cautious mentality to prevent that but it's obviously not enough against such superior opposition so it's looking like I may have to start with a 4-1-4-1 before changing up to my preferred 4-4-2 which is a mild annoyance in terms of personnel/moving players around, but better than giving the AI a headstart! I used the 4-4-2 away to Stoke and with hindsight maybe would have been better going with the 4-1-4-1, which I will be doing for all away games from now.

To illustrate what i'm up against - my wage budget in comparison... :) 

FCU_wagebudgetsprem2023.thumb.PNG.7bf694f10f43d28237198493fa7c2709.PNG

1 hour ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Some important updates for my CTRL/SUS variants, forgot to modify the set piece instructions to leave 4+ players back to counter the aggressively attacking AI. Note that I haven't made the changes to the CTRLCNTR & BASE versions, they're as set by Knap in the original versions.

Latest versions of all variants below - tested and working (admittedly with a rubbish team against the premier league) on 19.2.3, have kept them as 19.2.2 to keep them in line with Knaps naming convention etc, instructions as in my previous post (quoted above);

4-4-1-1 (19.2.2)

4-4-2 (19.2.2)

4-1-4-1 (19.2.2)

As for FC United's life in the Premier League, very mixed bag so far - we're really up against it quality wise and it's making for a much more interesting season! Not sure if it's because I'm playing against better defences with less able players but the amount of goals disallowed - something I already thought was high in this years game - is off the charts with 8 now disallowed for my side alone in the 9 games I've played so far - two were in the Stoke game which really annoys as I should have won that game, let alone lose, but such is football! Fixture list hasn't exactly been too kind in giving me games against the top teams so soon, but in some ways i'm glad to just get them out of the way so I can concentrate on teams I have a chance against - slight concern playing City/United back to back of course is the effect on morale!

One common theme seems to be that my team still dominate possession - even against City & Chelsea. We were slightly unfortunate in some ways against City, they were just utterly ruthless every time they had a shot and ended up 3-0 winners - we hit the woodwork twice AND had a goal disallowed so actually pretty encouraging.

Mentality and tactic are pretty challenging so far. I've conceded goals inside the first ten minutes in nearly all of my games so far (even Newcastle & Stoke) which suggests teams are flying out at me. I normally go with a Cautious mentality to prevent that but it's obviously not enough against such superior opposition so it's looking like I may have to start with a 4-1-4-1 before changing up to my preferred 4-4-2 which is a mild annoyance in terms of personnel/moving players around, but better than giving the AI a headstart! I used the 4-4-2 away to Stoke and with hindsight maybe would have been better going with the 4-1-4-1, which I will be doing for all away games from now.

Wow, thanks mate this made really interesting reading for a Saturday morning! I’m right to understand there hasn’t been and M.E changes from 2.2 to 2.3? 

Really looking forward to getting stuck into some action with some combinations, I have a couple of saves already sort of suited to the formation and players in my squad etc. I have a Manchester United game where I’m currently trying to take over the world become more successful than the late great Sir Alex, another is with the mighty Blyth Spartans from the North East.

What combinations would you recommend for each team? Thanks in advance 

@Phil_NUFC Nope, no ME changes that we're aware of between 2.2 & 2.3.

For United, anything should work pretty much, but you're best going with something attacking - not sure what the overall best is, but Knap's Beowulf tactics usually do well for elite teams, the 424 in particular has been generating a fair bit of buzz? For lower league, I've gotten FC United promoted to the PL in consecutive seasons using a combination of Knap's TIME 4411/442 (the one's in this very thread) - only difference is it's much harder (read: not impossible) to go 'plug and play' with lower league teams and be ultra successful, so you may want to adopt a more 'hands-on' style with regard to management and having multiple tactics up your sleeve...? If that interests then you may want to have a squiz at the link below for more info on how to go about it;

Optimus has taken FC United to PL with back to back promotions, so you can follow guide for game management and tactics.

There is also a BEOWULF 442 called Cardiff as Cardiff won PL with tactic. 

28 minutes ago, knap said:

Optimus has taken FC United to PL with back to back promotions, so you can follow guide for game management and tactics.

There is also a BEOWULF 442 called Cardiff as Cardiff won PL with tactic. 

cardiff won PL! where is that tactic?

On 02/02/2019 at 08:25, optimusprimal82 said:

4-4-1-1 (19.2.2)

4-4-2 (19.2.2)

4-1-4-1 (19.2.2)

Which 3 tactics are you using mainly during games or do they differ depending on opponents? Sticking with the 4-4-2 or changing here and there? I wish FM allowed more tactics slots! 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, knap said:

I doubt any major changes judging from Beta and so far on 19.3, but do not expect goals from long throws.

All ur tactics still working? Some peoples  tactics have broken 

Edited by marris09

One problem is that the long throws covered up any tactic weakness. Most of the tactics were based on 19.1 tactics without throws so hopefully will still work. FMT is not updated so I will not be testing very quickly to confirm whether they work or not.

• 2 weeks later...