Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

dafuge's FM18 challenge

So I ended up losing to Chelsea in the Carabao semis... but... uh... well... :idiot:

sDZcGp2h.jpg

8 days earlier Man City had beaten Chelsea 2-0.

Edited by Warhawk

6 matches left and I'm sitting in a 3-way tie with Swindon and Burton on points for first place, though third in goal differential, and with Sheffield United one point back.  Tense stuff.

Also managed to take care of Cardiff pretty easily in the FA Cup 6th round, surprising since they beat Arsenal before losing to us.  Oddly it was Cardiff's second straight season in the FA Cup 6th round despite finishing 16th in the Championship last season and being 18th currently this season.  Easier than our 4th and 5th round matches, where we got lucky against West Ham and pulled out a closely played one against Middlesbrough.  We've got Huddersfield (who took out Southampton) in the semis; the other semi is Tottenham vs. Watford.  Some of the big teams cannibalized each other, Chelsea lost to Man City in the third who lost to Arsenal in the 4th, and Tottenham beat Man U in the 6th.

Edited by Warhawk

Burgess Hill Town
Season Update 2023/24
Burgess Hill Town F.C. logo.png
Sky Bet League One
Final Position 1st

Squad - Table - Transfers - Finances - Dynamics - InjuriesConf. Review - Review - Commercial - Board - Profile 

A solid season, where once again too many players were signed - but also quite a few offloaded. It was a season where there were many long term injuries with our previously first choice striker Leon Beadie being extremely unlucky. A 7 months broken leg in preseason, followed by a 4 month damaged achilles just shortly after returning to training. He only managed 45 mins of game time in total this season. Reece Miller, who has played 142 games and scored 72 goals where almost as unlucky. with 4 rather long injuries of 2x twisted ankles, sprained ankle and finally a 3 month broken ankle. These injuries forced me to go to the transfer market and look for replacements. Mark Higgins was purchased for 700k from Livingston and scored 13 goals in 20(14) matches. Rhodri Bridgeman purchased for 100k from Celtic was better than expected and scored 20 goals in 27(14) matches.

The season itself was really close in top 3. Second last game of the season saw us winning the title after beating Shrewsbury 3-1. We finished with 97 points. Luton and Swindon both really close with 94 points. Played mostly with my preferred 4-3-2-1 DM Wide formation, but also stuck with 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow and played around with 4-3-3 Attacking Narrow, as others are having great success with on forum.

Was able to sign a few more foreign staff and tried to sign several foreigners with the increased scouting knowledge. Signed Martin Meertens from N.E.C for 575k. He scored 14 goals in 20(7) matches which sounds better than it was, as there were a few hattricks and braces in those numbers. Last years Imad Faraj had a good season playing as both IF and SC and had 9 goals and 11 assists in 32(11) matches.

The Cups were only really good for the money with a 3rd round exit in Carabao to Man City and a 3rd round exit to West Ham in the FA. We got to the finals in Checkatrade and played Man Utd reserves at Wembley in front of a dissapointing low attendance of just under 10k. In a game we dominated, we only managed to win 1-0, but that was enough to lifting the trophy!

Finances was only kept up by selling players. We paid a lot of money to "tax and other". With a record sale of Brian Burns of potential 4KK and Gosling for potential 2.9KK we kept the black numbers afloat.

Board was in cheeful mood this season deciding to upgrade training  and youth training facilities and analyst center, as well as increasing youth level. In terms of youth, last seasons "golden generation" had me hoping for another batch of great prospects, but only to be saddened by a below decent intake. We are finally getting that new Stadium after filling the current one for almost 2 seasons. Will be great to move into 12.814 Burgess Hill Stadium once completed!

Noteworty players:

Matej Delac GK (previously FM series wonderkid) Will be joining from Huddersfield next season!
Rasmus Mouritsen DC - Is getting better and better. Managed to protes a transfer board accepted for 3.3KK. He will either become a star for us, or sold for a fortune (i hope) in the CH.
Ian Manning DM - Our key player and according to players, master defense coordinator. Since the screen he just signed a new contract earning 4.1k a week, making him one of my expensive players.
Andre Dozzell Mez - Was our best attacking midfielder this season. Looking forward to watching this former Blackburn player next season.

Season              League              Position            FA Cup                Carabao Cup   EURO                 Checkatrade   FAT
2018/19             Van. South          2nd                 2nd round             NA            NA                   NA            Winner
2019/20             Van. South          1st                 3rd round             NA            NA                   NA            2nd round
2020/21             Van. Nat.           1st                 4th round             NA            NA                   NA            Final
2021/22             League Two          1st                 3rd round             2nd round     NA                   3rd round     NA
2022/23             League One          12th                Semi Final            1st round     NA                   Semi Final    NA
2023/24             League One          1st                 3rd round             3rd round     NA                   Winner        NA

Just got out-shot 29 to 4 by Huddersfield in the FA Cup semis and won 3-1, and their goal came in the 89th minute anyway.  Crazy.  We benefited from an own goal and a penalty.

Currently in second by a point in each direction going into the last league match.

EDIT: And Watford beat Tottenham in the other semi.  Considering the 5 previous champs were Man City (twice), Chelsea (twice), and Man U, this is a rather surprising matchup.

Edited by Warhawk

Our promotion run was amazing, but now we have to try and stay up in VNL with no transfer budget and only a modest increase of 2000/week to our wage budget. It will be a challenge, especially given our minimal scouting that we can afford. We scoured the free transfer list during the summer and managed to add:

Deren Ibrahim GK- 28 year old Gibraltan keeper with 6 caps- with his addition we finally have the solid  veteran keeper that we have needed.
Owen McCann- 16 year old English forward- very promising youngster and will see a lot of time up front
Jaydn Mundle-Smith- 19 year old English leftback- I was unhappy with Cristian Navarro's performance at the end of last season and Mundle-Smith will probably edge him out
Foday Nabay- 20 year old Sierra Leone International with 7 caps- a very good midfield addition and should play a lot
Dilan Markanday- 17 year old rightwinger that may well start over Max Booth
Jubril Adedeji- 19 year old Nigerian SC that should play a lot for us in leading the line
Sam Golan- 20 year old American DC that should play a lot in rotation with Sam Nunn or Emmanuel Omrore
Emmanuel Idem- 20 year old GK who has a better level of talent than nominal backup Arthur Janata.
Jermome Opuku- 21 year old DC with good pace and decent, not great skills.
Steven Cahill- 20 year old MC who I expect to start in the playmaking role- he isn't great, but just a good overall midfielder.
Jack Clarke- 20 year old MC released by Aston Villa who I have hopes for.
Leon James- 18 year old MC released by Leicester that might develop into an impact playmaker.
In addition, we landed Zhenyu He on another season-long loan from Notts County to give us more depth up front and 19 year old MC Sam Skeffington from Millwall. Skeffington is a large midfielder with a physical presence, but not much technique or skill yet and I see him coming in when we need defense in the midfield.

With the additions, we are spending 7229/week against our 6940/week wage budget. I felt we had to go over our budget to sign the depth players. Currently we have several orginal players that are being overpaid and will not receive contract renewals next season, so that will help the budget a lot next year- in the meantime the Board isn't protesting too much our slight overrage. We did lose Harry Donovan, who had playing time concerns left over from last season and refused to sign a new contract with us.

NeedhamMkt.jpg

I was conceding goals from crosses from the wide midfielders so I set my 2 strikers that play off my main striker to man mark them - that seems to be working atm.

130px-Merthyrtydfil.jpg

Merthyr Town Season 2022/23 Report

League- I aimed for a comfortable mid-table finish in our first season up in the Vanarama National however we have been able to replicate the achievements of many others in this thread as we won the title on the first try! Back to back promotions and Merthyr are into the Football League! We started extremely well with 8 wins in our first 9 matches and we were able to stay near the top for the rest of the season. We dropped down to second for a little while in the middle of the season when we were afflicted with tons of injuries to key players but we got back in front and secured the title with a 5-1 thrashing of Accrington in our second last game. We actually broke the record for goals scored in a season with 123. 

Cups- Another good cup run this year, as in the FA Cup we saw off Guiseley before beating two League One teams in Exeter and Blackburn. We then took Championship side Preston North End to a replay in the 3rd round but were outclassed away from home. The FA Trophy saw us exit in the first game to Dartford with one of our worst performances of the season.

Finances- Much better, as our cup runs and larger crowds are really helping our finances stay solidly in the black. The board allowed me to complete my first coaching course this year and a youth facilities upgrade has just begun. 

Transfers- 17 in and 7 out as we had another big turnover. Many of the transfers in were just talented youngsters I brought in on no wages for the youth teams but a few new signings, notably the loanees such as Graham Nicholson and Ryan Reynolds made a huge impact. We also paid actual money for a player near the end of the season, picking up midfielder Christian Herc for 2K, so that's a big milestone ticked off.

Youth Intake- Pretty awful this year. We definitely do need that upgrade to our youth setup.

Best Players- Most goals: Graham Nicholson- 47 We had this guy on loan 2 seasons back and he was willing to come to us again from parent club Peterborough and he has only gotten better. An absolute monster at this level as he led the line consistently all season, especially as our young academy graduate star Sean Edwards spent a decent amount of time out injured. He smashes the previous record for goals in a season for the club and is now the club's all-time leading goalscorer despite only spending two seasons here so far.

Most assists: Chekaine Steele- 19 He breaks his own record for the third season in a row, the club legend keeps on improving.

Highest avg rating: Chekaine Steele- 7.76 He breaks this record as well for the third season running.

Most POM: Nicholson- 12 

Next year: The club really feels like it's moving forward now, and in League Two my preliminary aims will be for a comfortable mid table spot but with some good singings who knows what could happen. Hopefully I will be able to attract better players to the club and find some quality loanees. 

Season          League          Position       FA Cup          FA Trophy          Top Scorer          Most Assists          Highest Avg Rating
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Vanarama South  11th           3rd qual round  3rd qual round     Fleetwood(28)       Morton(10)            Patten(7.25)
2019/20         Vanarama South  14th           2nd qual round  2nd round          Walker(11)          Morton(7)             Wiltshire(7.27)
2020/21         Vanarama South  4th            2nd qual round  1st round          Nicholson(32)       Steele(15)            Steele(7.64) 
2021/22         Vanarama South  1st            3rd round       1st round          Edwards(31)         Steele(17)            Steele(7.73)
2022/23         Vanarama Nat.   1st            3rd round       1st round          Nicholson(47)       Steele(19)            Steele(7.76) 

Edited by Fadedaf

5pmMB7S.png

Lancaster City

Sky Bet League One 2022-2023

Year-End Update

Calendar

w3SX55vm.jpg     TvsMdcYm.jpg     FpPMrTTm.jpg

Competitions

Sky Bet League One

My first and most important acquisition in the offseason was an 18 year old Northern Irish striker named Ronnie Gillespie from Glenavon.  He's most effective as a False 9, and appears to have enormous potential.  When I signed him the big knock was that my scouts reported he was inconsistent and had an unambitious personality, but the latter issue appears to have disappeared, and he is now apparently balanced.  He also scored 4 goals for the Northern Ireland U21s this season.  Also early in the summer transfer window I added 25 year old Cameroonian midfielder Noe Baba, formerly with Bristol, and 24 year old Greek midfielder Savvas Mourgos, formerly with Norwich.  The former was signed as a starter and the latter as a backup, and while Baba was good, Mourgos was one of our best players all season.  We also signed a third central midfielder, Neil Duffy, as a prospect, and while he was a bit streak during the season, he's developed well and looks really promising.  In September, being less than pleased with my defenders early in the season, I signed two more players; center back Matt Preston, formerly of Swindon, and left back Gideon Abu-Peprah, formerly of Crewe.  Both were decent but probably not long-term solutions.  We also signed another young striker named James Young and played him on occasion in the first team, and after loaning out winger Roy Langford for the first half of the season, we brought him back due to some injuries and he played very well splitting time with Callum Mahon down the stretch.  As for loans, we brought back Lee Sands yet again after selling him in the previous December window, and he partnered well with Gillespie.  We also brought back Max Vance, who we loaned last season, after a few attempts at a right back fell through.  The other pre-season loan move we made was to bring in our former goalkeeper, Jake Eastwood, as a backup that I was comfortable with when a hot prospect goalkeeper I had planned on using named Noel de Vos garnered some interest from other teams, and I ended up selling him for $1M plus 50% of the next transfer fee.  In the January transfer window, I bought Swindon goalkeeper Nick Hayes for $45k and sold Vickers for $35k, which constituted a modest upgrade, and perhaps just as importantly managed to get then-League-leading Swindon to shoot themselves in the foot since their replacement was not as good.

Preseason went reasonably well except for one game where we got destroyed by Liverpool, and we beat Northampton and Crewe (both in League 2 at the moment, although Northampton is about to fall out of the League after a second consecutive last-place finish) by 3 goals apiece.  Our league form was inconsistent through the beginning of October, starting out 4-3-6, and only had one set of consecutive wins, losses, or ties in the league, a pair of losses to Doncaster and Sheffield United that were actually surrounding a cup win.  Things started to look up with 3 consecutive wins, though they were followed by an 0-2-1 stretch with a 3-0 loss to Fleetwood.  At that point we went on a 6-1-0 run to firmly establish ourselves in the top half of the table going into January.  During most of this time, Swindon led the league, though they were starting to lose a bit of ground to several teams.  In particular, us, Sheffield United, and Burton all started making our moves in the second half of the season.  From the second set of matches in the season through the end of December, the three of our teams spent a combined 1 week in any spot better than 6th, a brief 5th place appearance by Sheffield United.  Sheffield United and Burton started making their moves in January, and after a brief rough patch in January where we lost 3 of 4, we made ours as well - from February 11th through the end of the season, we would go 11-3-1 in the league.  By mid-March, the top four spots had solidified.  Bradford City and MK Dons, who had previously occupied the second and third spots for much of the season, had fallen off, and the league ultimately came down to us, Sheffield United, Burton, and Swindon.  Swindon, who started the final stretch with a lead on the goal differential tiebreaker, were the first to fall off, losing two in a row and 3 of their last 5, finishing 4th.  Burton had been in second, but lost that spot with a loss to Scunthorpe.  They played well in their next four matches, going 3-1-0, to stay in the mix, but lost their final match 2-1 against Stevenage.  We found ourselves in third with 6 matches remaining, after spending a week in the top spot, and after a couple of draws we managed to finish the season with 3 straight wins, including 3-0 away to Portsmouth in our last match.  Unfortunately, only perfection would have allowed us to pass Sheffield United, as they finished the season on a 6-1-0 stretch.  We failed to win the title, but our win in the final week clinched second place, and Promotion from Sky Bet League One.

Final Table

zEWWooJm.jpg

FA Cup

A magical run for us in the FA Cup this season (and actually in all the cup competitions).  We kicked things off with another 3-goal victory against Northampton where, after finding ourselves down 1-0 early, we went into the half with a 4-1 lead, allowing an own goal in the second half but also scoring on a penalty to win 5-2.  We rode a 3-2 lead at the half against Newport Co to a 4-2 win, and they missed a penalty in the second half while Sands put it away in the 86th minute.  We beat Barnet in the third round 2-0 despite a relatively lackluster performance, setting up a home matchup against eventual 3rd-place finishers in the Championship West Ham.  We were fortunate to escape from a poor first half where we were out-shot 13 to 2 with only a 1-0 deficit, and a much more competitive second half allowed halftime sub Richard Stimson to score two goals and steal a fortunate 2-1 victory.  At Premier League Middlesbrough in the fifth round, we played a bit better than them in the first half and took a 2-1 lead just before the break, and were able to hold on for a win by that score despite not getting much going offensively in the second half.  Home against Cardiff in the sixth round, we controlled the game and had the bulk of the shots, but were tied at 1-1 in the half and only scraped a 2-1 victory despite a generally good performance.  In the semi-final against Premier League Huddersfield we got very lucky.  Despite getting out-shot 29 to 4 in the match, Gillespie scored in stoppage time of the first half and then on a penalty in the 69th minute, and they played one of our crosses poorly and allowed an own goal in the 79th minute, giving us a 3-0 lead, and we held on to win 3-1 after allowing a goal in the 89th minute.  In the final against Watford we were again outclassed, but luck was not on our side this time, and despite holding them to only one goal, we did not get a shot on target in the match and lost 1-0.

Checkatrade Trophy

As defending champions, we hoped for a good run, and we were relatively successful here.  Wins against Crewe and Walsall in the group put us in a good position, and a loss on penalties to the Man U U23s clinched advancement.  A fairly easy win against the Newcastle U23s set us up against our competition for the League, Sheffield United, where despite having 5 shots on target to their 1, we ended up settling the match in penalties.  Each team missed two of their first 3, until they eventually missed their 9th, and Peter Burgess put away the game winner.  In the quarter-final we got revenge against the Man U U23s, winning 2-0, before we gave up an early 2-1 lead against the West Brom U23s in the semi-final to lose 3-2.

Carabao Cup

After not getting out of the first round last year, we did much better this season.  We went down 2-0 early to Blackburn in the first round, before storming back to a 3-2 lead at the half, which we held onto for the win.  A 4th minute goal spurred us on to a 1-0 win against Derby in the second round.  At Sheffield Wednesday in the third round, we managed to hang in against a somewhat better team and take it to extra time tied 2-2, before Lee Sands scored in the 116th minute to secure a 3-2 victory.  We played a pretty strong game against Leicester in the 4th round, and got lucky against Newcastle in the quarter-final.  They took a 1-0 lead in the third minute, then we equalized in the 8th.  Despite allowing a lot of shots, we held out until Gillespie scored his second goal in the 91st minute to give us the victory.  Against Chelsea in the semi-final, we put up a valiant effort, but couldn't overcome their quality, losing 2-0 away in the first leg and drawing 1-1 in the second leg for a 3-1 loss on aggregate.

Squad & Awards

to1NnLqm.jpg

We had three strikers with at least 23 goals this season.  Gillespie was 11th in the league with 18 goals, and 33 overall, while Sands was 9th in the league with 20 goals, and 32 overall.  Gillespie was also 5th in minutes per goal.  Richard Stimson split his time with 24 starts and 21 sub appearances, as he scored 15 goals in the league (4th in minutes per goal) and 23 overall.  Gillespie set our club record with 17 assists, while Sands contributed 13.  6 different midfielders plus Stimson all had at least 6 assists as well.  Gillespie led the team in average rating, and was 10th in the league, while Mourgos was close behind him.  Gillespie also had 14 Player of the Match awards, a team record, and had 8 in the league, good for second place.  On the other end of things, our defense wasn't great, though Max Vance led the league in headers won ratio, and Nick Hayes was second with 17 clean sheets (though only four for us) and the third fewest goals conceded.

As a team, we scored the 6th most goals with 7th (interestingly, of the 3 teams that were promoted, we scored the most) and conceded the sixth fewest with 56 (7th if you don't include the playoffs).  We only conceded 9 goals from set pieces, and scored 14, an improvement from last season (in particular, Gillespie had a couple of absolutely beautiful goals from free kicks).  We weren't exactly great at keeping possession, crossing, shooting on target, or crossing, but we did manage to create quite a lot of chances (4th in the league).  We were much better at tackling this season though, finishing 4th in that category as well, and we managed to take 9 penalties this season, more than we usually get.

Nice looking youth intake overall for us this season, no 5 stars but 3 4.5 star potential players, we'll see how they turn out.  The best looks like it may be a center back (though he can play all 3 positions) named Craig Clarke, our scouts say he's a very consistent performer, with a driven personality and super-high determination.

Our players (and myself as well) received a variety of awards, listed below.

Fans' & Manager's Player of the Season: Ronnie Gillespie

Fans' Signing of the Season: James Young

Manager's Signing of the Season: Ronnie Gillespie

Fans' & Manager's Young Player of the Season: Ronnie Gillespie

Sky Bet League One Player of the Year: Ronnie Gillespie

Sky Bet League One Players' Select: Ronnie Gillespie

Runner-Up for Player of the Month (Ronnie Gillespie, December)

Third Place for Player of the Month (Lee Sands, March)

December Young Player of the Month: Ronnie Gillespie

April Young Player of the Month: Ronnie Gillespie

Runner-Up for Young Player of the Month (Lee Sands, March)

Goal of the Month (Ronnie Gillespie; December & January)

Manager of the Month (December, January, February)

Runner-Up for Manager of the Month (April)

Third Place for Manager of the Month (November, December, February)

Manager of the Season

State of the Club

ne37PcXm.jpg

From a financial perspective, the club had a profit of approximately $7.6 million last season, benefiting from our outstanding runs in the cups resulting in nearly $4 million in prize money and over $1 million in TV revenue.  We increased our season ticket threefold yet again, from over $300,000 to over $900,000. We have again been given an increased payroll budget and transfer budget, currently at approximately $77,000 per week at $6.6 million, respectively, which will hopefully come in handy as we try to address some of our weaknesses going into the Championship.

Our new stadium is complete, with a 5,000 person capacity.  We are spending $2.7 million to expand it to just over 6,800 seats, and are also making upgrades to our training facilities and youth facilities that cost about $1 million combined.  We were upgraded to a level 4 youth system.

I finished studying for my Continental A license, and am currently working on my Continental Pro license.

Our average attendance for the season was 4,097, third lowest in the league but, for the second season in a row, more than double last season's.  We had 4 sellouts at home, against Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, and Sheffield United, while over 85,000 saw us play at Wembley in the FA Cup final (and over 65,000 in the semi-final).  54,000 attended our Carabao Cup quarter-final victory at Newcastle, and over 50,000 attended our Carabao Cup semi-final defeat at Chelsea.

My goals for the upcoming season are as follows:

• Avoid Relegation
  • Reach the FA Cup 4th Round
  • Reach the Checkatrade Trophy quarter-finals
  • Reach the third round of the Carabao Cup

Season	 League			Finish  Achievements
2018-19	 Vanarama North		7th     Playoffs
2019-20	 Vanarama North		1st     Champions; FA Trophy Finalist
2020-21	 Vanarama National	1st     Champions; FA Trophy Winners
2021-22  Sky Bet League Two	1st     Champions; Checkatrade Trophy Winners
2022-23  Sky Bet League One	2nd     Promotion; Checkatrade Trophy Semifinalist; Carabao Cup Semifinalist; FA Cup Finalist
Edited by Warhawk

As soon as I post that, I'm pleased to say that Ronnie Gillespie's been called up by Northern Ireland to play on the senior squad in Euro qualifying, at the age of 19.

Perhaps the challenge needs a Brexit rule? Or at least clarifications on how Brexit should be treated.

Since there is the possibility to turn it off, I think it should be stated that this isn't allowed. I know it says no unedited DB, but for some people this may not count in their minds.

I assume that the all players of this challenge plays fair, but clarification has never done any harm.

Personally, I love the randomness, and the fact that you may have to focus much more on youth than spending. But I can read on these forums, that a lot of people hate it as it makes the PL "literally unplaybles OMGZ"

Perhaps my suggestion is unnecessary, but I just thought that I would bring it up.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

Perhaps the challenge needs a Brexit rule? Or at least clarifications on how Brexit should be treated.

Since there is the possibility to turn it off, I think it should be stated that this isn't allowed. I know it says no unedited DB, but for some people this may not count in their minds.

I assume that the all players of this challenge plays fair, but clarification has never done any harm.

Personally, I love the randomness, and the fact that you may have to focus much more on youth than spending. But I can read on these forums, that a lot of people hate it as it makes the PL "literally unplaybles OMGZ"

Perhaps my suggestion is unnecessary, but I just thought that I would bring it up.

I wouldn't say its an unnecessary suggestion! I would say its vital that people don't turn it off. 

I guess I got a semi-hard Brexit, with every non British player having to apply for a work application. Being in the Championship with an extremely limited wage budget this certainly brings a new set of challenges to the game. It's fun though, I don't mind it at all, just saying that people turning it off have it a lot easier and I don't think its fair to compete in this challenge if you have turned it off. 

Important point you're raising.

45 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Personally I assumed that it's covered by the no editing rule.

I assume that as well. But assumption only takes us so far :)

Of course it's up to @dafuge to clarify, but as stated here I would assume the Brexit should not be allowed to be tampered with under the "no edits" rule. You might get lucky or unlucky, but that's part of the fun. I have the hard Brexit, but it makes for a different challenge, and one I've tried to handle by putting more focus on youth development than I would have if the Brexit hadn't happened.

1 hour ago, Mr_Demus said:

Another thing I think people attempting this challenge need to show is proof that they are playing with attribute masking enabled. I think a lot of people who attempt this don’t follow that rule as they are not asked to prove it

Started with Kings Langley and the board already funded my first coaching budge. I signed some staff to help me with training and scouting. Now I'll try to sign players good enough to keep us in the Vanarama South.

Gbdtbbt.png

Edited by BillHoudini24

I hate it when there's a newgen with a brilliant name that I can't justify signing because he's just not good enough.

Alas, there shall be no Chuks Salami on my squad this year.

Edited by Warhawk

8 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

I wasn't aware of a way of disabling it without using the editor, so that rule should cover it.

Is it possible to disable it without the editor?

6 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

Another thing I think people attempting this challenge need to show is proof that they are playing with attribute masking enabled. I think a lot of people who attempt this don’t follow that rule as they are not asked to prove it

In the early days there was a fair number of accusations of cheating, which led to more 'proof' being needed. Since then, people have been a lot more trusting which has improved the mood of the thread.

If you suspect someone of cheating, just put them on ignore.

I really don't understand why anyone would cheat - after all you'd only be cheating yourself.

14 minutes ago, dafuge said:

In the early days there was a fair number of accusations of cheating, which led to more 'proof' being needed. Since then, people have been a lot more trusting which has improved the mood of the thread.

If you suspect someone of cheating, just put them on ignore.

I’m not calling out anybody for cheating. I just feel that we should be proving that we have masking enabled. We are asked to play that way. It’s in the rules for the challenge. You can guarantee that some who participate don’t. The challenge is far easier with masking disabled. This is a legendary challenge for me and one of the most popular on FM. I just think we should be proving that we are 100% following the rules

2 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

I’m not calling out anybody for cheating. I just feel that we should be proving that we have masking enabled. We are asked to play that way. It’s in the rules for the challenge. You can guarantee that some who participate don’t. The challenge is far easier with masking disabled. This is a legendary challenge for me and one of the most popular on FM. I just think we should be proving that we are 100% following the rules

I get what you are saying, but we could also ask for proof of scout reports before every signing.

We did consider this sort of thing years ago, but made the decision to be more trusting of each other.

*laughs* because of no scouting budget- my summer signings were made on a wing and a prayer (actually I based most of them on pace, with a couple on recognizing a couple key skills suited my style of play). 

Seriously, I understand the point of the discussion, but is it worth the hassle? I would be willing to post mine (well future ones...) but it does come back to the point you are cheating yourself if you are doing so. I won't be the first one to the summit in the challenge- I play way too slow these days- so it is more a matter of enjoying and celebrating the steps on the way for me.

Hereford FC

Season 2022/23

Sky Bet League 2 - Pos 1st

Well what can I say, I was worried that we might not be good enough, apart from a little wobble in November when we dropped to second we pretty much stayed top the whole season. I utilised pretty much the same formation as last year but tweaked a couple of roles and part-way through the season set my two wider strikers to either mark the wide midfielders if opponents lined up in a 4-4-2 or the wing-backs if they played a 5-3-2. What I did find was that players who'd rejected trials that I added to my shortlist notified me if they were available hence I was able to sign my top scorer Harvey Bradbury. It was a bit of a break through season for a young central defender I'd signed on a free in 2020/21 season - take a bow Lewis Vose. My top performer by ratings was a youngster released by Arsenal who carried on his good form from the previous season - ladies and gentlemen I give you D J Buffonge. And finally a young centre half who now has been capped by Iceland on three occasions - Axel Andresson. 

FA Cup - 3rd Round

After huffing and puffing my way through to the 3rd round I got drawn at home to Liverpool I fairly swiftly went 3-1 down and then missed two penalties before Higuain got his 4th.

Carabao Cup - 1st round

Got thumped at home by Brentford 1-3

Checkatrade Trophy - 3rd round

Easily won my group before falling to Crystal Palace u23's on penalties

End of season awards were as follows

Fans Player of the Season

D J Buffonge

Goal of the Season

D J Buffonge

Signing of the Season

Ibrahim Ekuban

Young Player of the Season

D J Buffonge

Aims for next season

1 - Not get relagated

2 - Reduce my deficit from -£600k

3 - Keep hold of my better players or at least get some decent cash for them.

League Table

5a26d55a263d8_SkyBetLeagueTwo_OverviewStages.thumb.png.f78dfa6ed9f13afebf17671c95cc19d2.png

Harvey Bradbury

5a26d73a94ddc_HarveyBradbury_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.825d70e51b6a37ed5f8f5e45b5ab8d4f.png

Tactics

5a26d6bc25b98_HerefordFC_Overview.thumb.png.816551aba636cdb8cb5a2b68d4a7a96b.png

Lewis Vose

5a26d7e50df4a_LewisVose_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.dbd99778b835b5008602b90c9f7265be.png

D J Buffonge

5a26d85881496_DJBuffonge_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.e2f679c5f3dc153fa2afa58237b03e5e.png

Axel Andresson

5a26d9141012c_AxelAndrsson_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.631ad6a3e4d96000bd5b0b01a7b37431.png

Ibrahim Ekuban

5a26dc7c719ce_IbrahimEkuban_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.5699ccd35f7f5fb633767a7b6d5bb514.png

Edited by Swindon69

24 minutes ago, Faramir said:

*laughs* because of no scouting budget- my summer signings were made on a wing and a prayer (actually I based most of them on pace, with a couple on recognizing a couple key skills suited my style of play). 

Seriously, I understand the point of the discussion, but is it worth the hassle? I would be willing to post mine (well future ones...) but it does come back to the point you are cheating yourself if you are doing so. I won't be the first one to the summit in the challenge- I play way too slow these days- so it is more a matter of enjoying and celebrating the steps on the way for me.

I'm not going to screen print the 175 players I took on trial last summer :) - pre-season takes me around 4 hours roughly.

Edited by Swindon69

19 minutes ago, dafuge said:

I get what you are saying, but we could also ask for proof of scout reports before every signing.

We did consider this sort of thing years ago, but made the decision to be more trusting of each other.

I hope i dont come across as someone moaning about this. Never was my intention. Maybe just a post with your season update showing your player search with the knowledge level of some players.

Something like this:

5a26ddede8370_HamptonRichmondBorough_PlayersPlayerSearch.thumb.png.4054c254e4efdb2faa326ae73d850a22.png

One extra screenshot a season. nobody wants to see screenshots of every signing. i just think the masking being enabled is a big rule that should be monitored.

I generally don't trust my scout reports - a lot of my signings are trialists who've been released by bigger clubs in England.

However the following screenshot of a random player that's been released by some club sows that attribute masking is on.

5a26e24c0e5a8_JamesClifford_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.f62ea5d49694b59f87578556ab9c0c70.png

Edited by Swindon69

17 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

One extra screenshot a season. nobody wants to see screenshots of every signing. i just think the masking being enabled is a big rule that should be monitored.

By all means, if you'd like to add those screenshots please do, but I don't really have the time to monitor people's games.

I have got frustrated by managing Staines so i retired my Manager at the end of the 24/25 season. Cirencester were promoted in 25 so i have created a new manger and taken them over.

I tried to go back to the well and made an offer for another young Glenavon striker after having so much success with Gillespie, but Leicester swooped in and I missed out.  Jerks.

At first I thought I'd gotten him, what with the similar names and all...

Edited by Warhawk

o2S5jGU.jpg

Mid season in the VNLN, and things are going pretty well. We started pretty poorly, but once my new defensive signings settled in we've been on a really good run of form. The playoffs are definitely in reach, and the top of the table is so tight, if this run goes on long enough we may even have an outside chance at challenging for top spot, especially as our better results are all coming against the top teams. Who knows? I can but dream.

So... Tooting and Mitcham are a real challenge... I'm not normally one to admit an early defeat but it fell apart very quickly and didn't get any better, rock bottom and no wins... Loads of players left in the October period and I canned it before I was pushed. Totally underestimated the challenge after breezing the early seasons with my margate save. 

However,  I'm determined to get there with them and have restarted the challenge, will post up my new manager and the screen shots when I get home later. I may have lost the battle but I'll win the war... Hopefully ;)

I've tried this challenge before but a few versions ago so have started again, went with Slough Town (purely coincidence that they were on TV the other day!)

I appear to be trying to make it as hard as I can for myself, not only did I not schedule enough pre-season friendlies so most of my players aren't match fit at the start of the season but I told the groundsman to make the pitch long so I could play long-ball football...and promptly forgot about it and got spanked 1-5 in my first home game thanks to at least three balls over the top of my slow defence. Despite being on the Defensive Mentality I'd asked them to push up a bit to make my team a bit more compact... :rolleyes:

Anyway, now I've remembered that crucial fact I can properly put a long-ball practice into place and hopefully pick up enough home wins to stay up. 3 defeats in my first 3 games and 1 goal scored isn't the best of starts however...

Margate preseason is going slow. Many, many players coming in on trial...I have roughly 15 players in my squad. Some of who, do not have the quality to play at this level.

Needham Market reached midseason plugging along in the mid-table. At this point, I am pretty happy with how things have gone in our first season in VNL as we have stoutly defended our way to our current standing. The scoring has been lacking, partly because Decarrey Sherriff- one of our top 4 forwards- broke his ankle in his first match and hasn't made his way back into training yet. Deren Ibrahim has been a very steady keeper for us, something we badly needed, but he is also gone a bit with Gibraltar National duties and Idem has been Ok filling in. Our backline play has improved since last season, but our midfield play has been a bit uninspired - certainly contributing to the lack of scoring from our forwards.  I am hopeful we can start scoring a bit more to help us maintain our placement, as I have no illusions about challenging for a Playoff spot at this point.

NeedhamMkt.jpg

NeedhamS2midseason.png

5100227_zps82yfbmuh.png

So, final restart, let me introduce: Richie Hawtin (aka Plastikman, some of you might have noticed I have been naming my managers after famous (old school) DJ's)

Richie%20Hawtin_%20My%20Profile%20Profil

Starting with a clean slate staff-wise :)

Tooting%20amp%20Mitcham%20United_%20Over

Board shot, tight for wages, but should be enough I hope, they are certainly fine with me having a healthy coaching team and setup and as you can see from the profile shot, they immediately agreed to send me on a coaching course myself which was a bonus.

Tooting%20amp%20Mitcham%20United_%20Over

Proof that editor is disabled.

Game_%20_Tooting%20amp%20Mitcham%20-%20d

Proof that attribute masking is enabled.

Tooting%20amp%20Mitcham%20United_%20Play

Lets pray for a soft Brexit eh?

23s6tep.png

Hereford FC

Season 2018-19

Starting Profile   --   Table  --  Competitions  --  Squad  --  Transfers  --  Finances

So I started my save with Hereford FC, having seen the original club play a number of times. The board wanted us to avoid relegation. The squad was in okay nick to be fair, but naturally a few players that were surplus to requirements. I released a few and sold a couple others, but attempts to bin all of them were unsuccessful. Furthermore, my attempts in the transfer window were of a mixed quality. The loan signings of Andrea Borg, Jordan Zemura, George Brown and particularly Michenaidgelo Hansen were inspired signings - Borg scoring 23 goals, Brown making 12 assists and Hansen with 19 assists. However, the signing of Richie Burdett and Charlie Cole were of players who were instantly not good enough quality to play a part so I'll have to bear that in mind when making signings for next season. 

The season itself was fantastic. We were unfortunate not to find ourselves in the Vanarama National next season, leading the VNN all throughout the season before a couple bad results in March meant we were chasing Chester who wrapped the title with a last gasp win on the final day. We managed a 4-3 win over FC United in the play-off semi-final, but fell to a big defeat in the final which made it a disappointing end to a superb campaign. 

The cup competitions were a mixed bag for us, doing well to earn a spot in the FA Cup First Round where we narrowly lost to a decent League Two outfit but I was frustrated with the defeat to Chorley in the FA Trophy First Round as that was a competition where we could have competed further in. Nonetheless, we met all the targets so I have few complaints.

One major positive was the healthy financial position we found ourselves in during the season. A average attendance of 4,239, the highest in the division, matched with the finances of a low end VNN side meant we made a profit for the season. We could have made more if I had been successful in shipping some of the deadwood out but its nice to give us a little room in that department. 

Next season, we'll aim for a similar season where we are in the top half of the table and pushing for a promotion place. 

"Gigi brings glory to Hereford". The best headline that looked impossible back on july when nobody there was giving anything for me.

Won the VNS with two spare game and we're also buying Edgar Street.

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.43.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.35.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-03 a les 23.20.48.png

Congrats - nice one on the ground - my board are looking to build a new stadium at some unspecified point in the future.

Crikey there are some fairly big sides in L1 - Blackburn are spending £9.3 million per year on salaries.

FYI folks, if any of you go into your Game Status screen and see that it's marked you as having used the in-game editor, despite the editor being disabled, here's the issue which I just found after some testing.  If you are playing a game where you are using the editor, and quit to the start screen (quitting out of the game entirely avoids this bug), and then start a new career from the start screen, the game will immediately flag you as having used the editor even when the editor is disabled.

So, don't worry about it, just a bug.

Well, not a bad start in the Championship.  Lost 1-0 at Aston Villa in the first match, but then in the first round of the Carabao I beat Mansfield 6-0 away, then in the league I squeaked one out against Sheffield United 2-1 then beat QPR 4-0.  Totally overhauled the defense in the offseason, 3 new starters.

EDIT: Just beat preseason favorites West Ham 3-1, after going up 3-0.  Was really not expecting this.

The media noticed my my old assistant manager, Adam Tann, was in the crowd against QPR scouting out Neil Duffy for loan.  Sorry mate, I need him.  He was hired at Shrewsbury last season, before he was hired the team was 5-5-7, and went 0-0-3 in the Checkatrade, he went 7-2-0 in his first 9 league games plus two FA Cup wins, ended up finishing 4th in League 2.  Proud of him.

One of my new strikers had a hat trick too.  Might have myself a pretty good Northern Irish tandem up front.

BQi4KhPh.jpg

Edited by Warhawk