dafuge's FM18 challenge

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

@Edinton My first save I had 5 different teams in 5 seasons - eventually I started a new save with Hereford.

That does make me feel a little better, thanks! :)

I have deliberately chosen the lowest rep/ranked team each season but will see how I do with Salisbury as that may change in Season 4!

image.png.556d206bf244f9c560bae78ceeca595f.png

Harrow Borough FC 2018/19

Table | Squad |Transfers

Restarted with Harrow, a team with no decent facilities and few players. They did have some good wingers and fullbacks and an ok GK. Started the season well until nov when the team struggled until jan leaving them midtable. In the new year the team were on fire helped by a few loan players, dropping only 4 points from 12 games. A slight wobble meant the title was never really on but after facing 4 of the other playoff teams in the last 4 games and winning them all the team finished 2nd. A 3-0 defeat of Dover was followed by a comfortable win over Dulwich to gain promotion.

In the cups the team reached the 1st rd of the FA cup losing to L1 Charlton. In the FA trophy the team lost in the 1st Rd to VNL Whitehawk .

The finances are pretty poor due to low attendances of ca300. Getting 50K from the Charlton match helped as did the playoff games. At the end of the season i noticed that Bury had a youth player come through from Harrow, I was able to sell the clauses for 70K. After promotion the board announced that the team would be moving into a new stadium with repayments at 8K p/m which would be a strain. Plough Lane would be the teams home for 2 seasons.

The teams best players were the 4 loan players with Sotiriou being particularly good. Banya was the league player of the season.

Season       League         Position       FA Cup           FA Trophy                  Achievements/Notes               
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Vanarama South      2nd         1st Round         1st Round                     Promotion                            

In stunning fashion, we defeated Leyton Orient 4-3 at Bloomfields to win the VNL on the last day of the season. Crawley, which had seemed beyond any club's reach, faltered badly down the stretch as they won 3 and lost 7 of their final 10 matches. We won 5 and drew 5 matches to overtake them. I didn't really believe we had a chance at anything other than the playoffs until we upset Crawley with 3 matches remaining, scoring late to edge them 3-2 and put us into a 3-way tie for the top spot (we were 3rd on goal differential though).

Our chances seemed dimmed when Southport scored an 89th minute to equalize at 2-2 in our 45th match after we had dominated the match (and bounced shots off both the crossbar and post) and we dropped into 4th place with the result. The final day had us facing Orient at home, while Crawley visited Maidstone and 3rd place Ebbsfleet visited Southport. We needed help for our match to matter and got it as Maidstone dumped Crawley 2-0 and Southport edged Ebbsfleet 1-0.
I have included the match summary for the Orient tilt, but I can't completely explain what a see-saw matter it was. Deren Ibrahim was the real hero for us, as the Gibrlatan keeper stopped two penalty kicks (I was so mad when we were given a second penalty result that my laptop almost took a tumble) to keep us in the match. The goals came fast and furious at the 70 minute mark of the second half as there were four goals (2 for each side) in the span of five minutes (and that also included the 2nd penalty kick). The match winner was an unfortunate own goal from Orient's Jamie Sendles-White at 87 minutes that was enough to allow us to leapfrog Crawley, Orient and Ebbsfleet to the title.

The difference in our improvement this season was our forward play and the solidity of the defense. We yielded the least goals in the VNL, despite losing key defender Sam Golan to torn cruciate ligaments (will be out another 6-10 months) down the stretch. Ibrahim was brilliant when we needed him to be in the last 10 matches and earned every euro (he is the highest paid player of our miniscule payroll). Despite losing key forward Owen McCann when the President accepted a lowly offer (for which the fans' remained mad at me all season- despite me having no say in the matter), the addition of Mark Kingdon, Seika Jatta the return to health of Jubril Adedji gave us three consistent scorers as Zatta potted 20, Kingdon 17 and Adedji 17 on the season. With Max Ryan also contributing 6 important goals, we had enough scoring to keep us in matches as we managed an amazing 19 draws on the season (we only lost 5 matches).

Despite a small transfer budget and only using 7,700 of our 11,100 payroll budget, I never felt the need to add at midseason as we also didn't loan any players this season. Our midfield didn't really shine, but they were effective enough at providing service to the forwards to allow us to be successful. One aspect that helped us was that we avoided key injuries- until the loss of Golan, who was playing brilliantly- for most of the season. We also survived a late season take over as local investor purchased the club. A tycoon would have been nice :) but we settled for him wiping out the current debts (but at the cost of future debt service on loans).

NeedhamMkt.jpg

NeedhamS3-10matchesleft.png

NeehamS3-2matchesleft.png

NeedhamS3Orientwin.png

NeedhamS3summary.png

NeedhamS3squad.png

12 minutes ago, Kaiserwatman said:

Game 894 in Management brings promotion to the Premier League . It'll be a shock to the system given the transfer record is £475K and highest earner gets 8K a week

I bet you're using multi-striker tactic, am I right? 

Untitled55_zpszzwrxrx8.jpg

2034-35 (UK & IRE Players Only)

League - Squad - Dynamics - Transfers - Finances - Commercials

So we are finally in the Premier League after 17 seasons and almost 900 games in Management . Will it go better than my initial transition to the Championship i don't know but that horrendous relegation was probably key to the success at Championship level as i switched to been a more defensive system and have moved it alot over the years with several tweaks that now i can at least give Premier League clubs a game in the various cup competitions though outside of Everton i have yet to have a really big scalp.

Are the club ready to make the jump , probably not given the lack of financial investment from the current board who have literally invested £0 , the new stadium which we have been in for the past 10 seasons has now been paid off and any further loans taken out for expansions will be looked after by premier league money.  9 of the first 11 at champions Chelsea get more individually than my entire payroll put together. Names that you see on the honours list like current hero  - Paul McKnight Is he really a Premier League striker  - NO but he fits the system and pay structure . Going have to once again lean on neighbours Man United to give me youth players to stand a chance .

In the cups there wasn't much to mention as the draw saw me away against big Premiership clubs in the early rounds which lead to defeats

cham89_zpsj9h3x6ex.jpg

OK, for a first effort it could be better, but the same is going to be said about the first few videos as well.

Coming to a youtube channel in the New Year, once I can tear my 8 year old away from Minecraft to help me set it up:

EnfieldTemplate.thumb.png.3cb057c904c1a9815e532f504e781eea.png

They'll get better, I promise.

Season 2019/20 Review

vF1HsL6.png

Tonbridge Angels FC

Season Review: Arrgghh... So close.. We missed out on winning the league by 4 points, settling for second place. And missed out on promotion with a 1-2 defeat to the third-placed team in the playoff finals. Switching to the 5-3-2 WB formation was instrumental in stabilising the defence, but starting to be worried that our attacks are getting predictable. Started the season strong, but our form dipped mid-season after a string of injuries to our key players. Managed to recover in the later part of the season, but by then, we had to settle for second.

Board expectations:

Vanarama National League South: Avoid relegation

Media prediction: 21st

FA Cup: Third Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: Third Qualifying Round

Results:

Vanarama National League South: 2nd | League Table | Player Stats | Team Stats

FA Cup: Fourth Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: Third Qualifying Round

Season Summary:

Transfers

Finances

Key Performers:

Eli Phipps: Loaned from Colchester. He was out for 6 weeks in mid-season, and that coincided with our dip in form. Played the role of the Big Man in the two strikers partnership that was sorely needed in the team. Won the VNLS Player of the Season award, and the Supporter's Player of the Year.

Shama Bako: Managed 35 goals this season playing alongside Eli. He misses some pretty clear cut chances, but still doing his job well enough to be my main striker. Won the VNLS Top Goalscorer award.

Steven Cahill: Our signing of the season. Was out for 4 weeks in the later half of the season, but good thing I had just signed another player in the same position. Still missed him in the team, and we played better when he was back in the team.

Youth Prospect:

Not worth mentioning.

Next Season's Goals:

1) I tell the team "Playoffs", but I'm hoping for "Win the League".

2) Hmm.. Should I change my formation? Let me sleep on it. My transfer plans might change depending on my decision

Year   Division          		Position   FA Cup		     FA Trophy		    Notes
2018   Vanarama National League South   13th	   Fourth Qualifying Round   Third Round
2019   Vanarama National League South   2nd	   Fourth Qualifying Round   Third Qualifying Round

11 hours ago, Kaiserwatman said:

Game 894 in Management brings promotion to the Premier League . It'll be a shock to the system given the transfer record is £475K and highest earner gets 8K a week

My transfer record went from £190k to £35 million! 

Wage Budget went from around £120 a week to nearly £600k a week.  It's quite a dramatic change. 

Congrats on the promotion. 

Billericay Season 4 and 5 Update. 

League 1 Season (2021/2022) -

League table -

sdx9qgi.png

Missed out on the 100 points mark but were very solid, the team's form dipped again in the final months but we were far enough ahead for it to not really impact us. 

Season Summary -

g6NLukh.png

That away game to Spurs put nearly £2 million into the club's coffers as it was at the sold out New White Hart Lane and televised, we held our own for 70 minutes but once they scored and we tried to get back into the game they tore use apart. 

I used back ups in the Check-a-trade. 

Squad Overview -

okSX9F4.png

Much of the League 2 squad is still here, Slattery became our record signing in January at £120k, it took many promises and quite a big wage to get him here as really he should have been playing at Championship level and has potential to be even better but he was successful despite me having to play him as a Shadow Striker, not my regular AMC-A, due to him wanting that as part of his deal.  Yet again my formation seems to really get a lot out of my wingers. with List basically breaking most records going. Kehinde continues his rise up the leagues with us. 

Championship Season (2022/2023)

League Table -

HfLib8t.png

Was not expecting this at all, but once we got going there was no stopping us. Mputu (see further up the thread) signed on loan from Bournemouth was amazing, and other loans added much needed quality to the squad without using up the wage budget. We barely drew a game, we either turned up or didn't, though I'd reckon half those losses were me absolutely battering the opposition and them scoring their one chance. 

Season Summary -

1URqpPi.png

We had a nice run to the League cup semis, losing narrowly to Leicester, we won the home leg 2-1 (and it should have been more) before going down 4-2 in the away leg, with late set piece goals costing us a Wembley final. A pleasing run though because we beat 3 PL teams on the way.

We also created 5 clear cut chances against Guardiola's Arsenal, but lost 1-0 to a late goal with him even admitting afterwards they were lucky to win,

Squad Summary -

8ISZj8J.png

What to say about Mputu, 47 goals overall, 39 in league and 16 assists, I have no idea why Bournemouth have not played him more, he's had one league cup appearance for them in 5 years, despite banging in the goals in every loan spell he'd had. I have attempted to sign him for 4 years after my scouts first picked him up but he refused to come, but this year I finally bagged him. 

Leko was picked up on a free from West Brom, again no idea why he was let go as he is easily good enough for the Premiership, he is a direct upgrade to List on the right wing who had to slip into the back up role this year.

Kehinde is still there, he broke the club's all time appearance record this season and is still going strong. 

Jose Roberto is a Brazilian/German wonderkid on loan from Bayern Munich, the switch to being able to scout out in Europe brought many more options in, Tue was signed on a free from Inter Milan, Krcic was a young Bosnian centre-back spotted by my scouts and was picked up on a free. He is a little rough on some stats but has excellent mentals. 

Pretty much all my signings were free transfers, Rico Henry was weirdly let go by Brentford, Haksabanovic was released by West Ham.

The only one I paid any money for was Callum Gribbin, the highly rated Man Utd youngster who for some reason had been signed by Sheffield Wednesday but wasn't playing and was sat in their reserve team. 

Sadly most of the National League to League 1 squad, the likes of Eyoma, Olowu, Annan, Blackett-Taylor, List etc. became either back ups or surplus to requirements such was our rapid rise. 

Billericay in the Premier League - The Journey so far update

So from our humble National League South beginnings and with an owner who was willing to shore up our spending, we have now made it to money gravy train that is the Premier League. 

My humble manager has grown quite a lot -

7Pf70nw.jpg

Though no idea why I am so good at Goalkeeper coaching!

The club has come on massively, 6 straight promotions if you include the one before I arrived -

IklF3Hv.jpg

Facilities wise we are still getting there -

TsKf6kp.png

We are currently borrowing Selhurst Park from Crystal Palace as our imaginatively named Billericay Stadium, built for entrance into the Football League is being expanded from 5000 seats to 12500 seats, which already looks to be too small as we have sold nearly 12000 season tickets and have already had attendances of around 16000 in Selhurst Park. 

I have constantly badgered the board about investing in facilities but due to the way they fund the club we only ever really have money at the end of each season as the owner basically lets us get into debt, then provides a cash injection. I also on my first new contract inserted the 'develops players from the youth team' philosophy and this meant they have been amicable to upgrading the youth related facilities, so the youth coaching and youth recruitment is at a decent level.

My Board also seem keen on the whole coach thing generally as they currently allow me to have 12 coaches, I even had the option for 8 back in League 1 so we have had the best coaching staff in the league pretty much since I started. 

Hopefully with the PL money coming in I can start investing in more facility upgrades. 

fBiWgJg.png

Myself, Elliot List and Kehinde are now club legends, List sadly is on loan at a lower league club, he is basically a good league 1 player so PL is way above his level.  It's quite cool to develop a club like this and be basically making the history of the club, a key player from our non-league days, Sam Deering is now a scout and regularly comments in pre-match media items. 

Here is the legend himself Tosin Kehinde -

uiDyG6f.png

7vxqb6A.png

Signed at the very beginning, he was the club's highest earner (after I got rid of £3k a week Jamie O'Hara) but was worth every penny and is now the club's all time appearance holder.  The Premier League might be a step too far for him but it's great to see him get international recognition and hopefully he will make an appearance against Man Utd, the club that released him all those years ago. 

Here is my new club legend -

MU7PsXV.png

mfuXDUz.png

Newly capped for England, currently the top scorer in the Premier League as well, my captain and record signing. The Board are actually a bit unhappy about how much I spent, the fee rises to near £40 million but is based on a lot of clauses, despite not playing him ever Bournemouth were not that stupid that they didn't fight to let him go. About 70% of my transfer budget went into him, but when he scored that many goals I just had to sign him permanently especially as the club is now his favourite club and I'm his favourite personnel. 

I also think this is a case of CA blindness by the AI, because in the Championship my scouts and coaches only rated him as a good championship player, but I think because he has all the stats in the right areas he makes the most of his CA, so it's unlikely his PA is massive (though he has improved) but I still think if he just improves a little in those key areas he will be top class, even if he doesn't hit top level CA. 

Here are two other regens that I have managed to pick up that I think are going to be huge signings -

LdvwU6x.png

xjTo5wg.jpg

And yes the eagle-eyed of you will notice I am 2nd in the league but don't get carried away, it's only 8 games and we have beaten pretty much everyone in the bottom 6. 

Hereford FC 

Season 2028/29

Premiership Pos 4th

A vast improvement on last season we reduced the amount of goals conceded by 17 while only scoring 5 fewer - we made it much harder for ourselves than it needed to be by having a massive drop in form towards the end of the season. Given that we had two of the top three scorers you'd never have guessed they both had long spells without scoring. The real surprise for me was the emergence of Marino Vilhjalmsson who came in on a free to act as cover on the left side - he ended up making team of the year. We've had one failed takeover and are currently undergoing another one. Takeover completed - and I survived it.

5a479e25362f2_EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-2.thumb.png.c58c494cac379ae61e8ea94631ffb8ff.png

5a479e7bb666c_RufusMtwambe_Inbox-33.thumb.png.8caffd7bf4897855b8090929a4d101ca.png

5a479ef9d2d2e_MarinVilhjlmsson_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.39ed034a488be13cba620adb19c09845.png

End of season awards

5a47a23169f50_RufusMtwambe_Inbox-34.thumb.png.e0be918ebff7b53e98d3bce5d30c96d4.png

73 times.

73 times I started a new season, holidayed, and tried to get Enfield into the Vanarama South.

Best they did was 4th.  Worst they did was 8th.

So I edited a database.  I moved Billericay Town down to the Ryman, and Enfield up.  

Then I holidayed a season, and at the end of it, Enfield Town had finished 12th.

And Billericay Town had been promoted again as well.

So Holiday man retired, Jellico73 has taken over.

And now it's time to #GoToTown.

Jellico73

t2GY2uG.jpg

Mid season, and things are going well. I feel like we're Everton during the David Moyes days, veering wildly season to season between the upper and lower reaches of the table. I don't think I'll be able to catch Nuneaton or Chester, but I'm definitely optimistic about the playoffs.

This is me.

image.thumb.png.6be9e576ec07b30065e97f364a4835de.png

i signed for margate as a youth player when i was 16. i now live in wales and havent been at the club for a good few years! so how i@m still on transfer market. com is beyond me lol. good nostalgia at least.

so naturally  my pick of the bunch would be obvious.

5a47db8ad109a_BillyDrinkwater_MyProfileProfile-2.thumb.png.592dc5eaa056327389dee513a5a857a8.png

also searched a little through the forum for some tactics but what i did find is this may be helpful.

5a47dc19e95e9_DannyDrinkwater_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.94751b88bf8b490593f2348d625457f5.png

masking is active. and yes i know i was imaginative with the player i chose to screenshot. 

well Margate here we go...

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

7vxqb6A.png

No offence mate, but do you really enjoy the game? I really hope FM will be real simulator one day. This is just ridiculous. 

Why wouldn't I enjoy the game? I'm having fun, it's not as easy as it looks on paper.  I've developed this formation over 100s of games on other saves and together with good player indentification got it working very well.

Plus Billericay are like the Man City of the lower leagues, wage budget wise they are way higher than most clubs even into league 1, IRL the owner is throwing money at them but managing them himself, even then they are on for promotion this season. 

Could easily see them being in League 1/2 in the next 3/4 years with that sort of spending. 

3 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Why wouldn't I enjoy the game? I'm having fun, it's not as easy as it looks on paper.  I've developed this formation over 100s of games on other saves and together with good player indentification got it working very well.

Plus Billericay are like the Man City of the lower leagues, wage budget wise they are way higher than most clubs even into league 1, IRL the owner is throwing money at them but managing them himself, even then they are on for promotion this season. 

Could easily see them being in League 1/2 in the next 3/4 years with that sort of spending. 

It's 5 straight promotions into the Premier League though. That's crazy.

3 hours ago, Swindon69 said:

@Haiku A genuine question - have you only popped into here to pour scorn over others?

I'm not pour scorning over here. Simply the game is too effortlessly easy for my liking and I'm curious whether other people who are smashing leagues enjoy the game as it is at it's current state. I would like SI to make it a bit more challenging and I'm exploring others' opinions. That's all.

19 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I'm not pour scorning over here. Simply the game is too effortlessly easy for my liking and I'm curious whether other people who are smashing leagues enjoy the game as it is at it's current state. I would like SI to make it a bit more challenging and I'm exploring others' opinions. That's all.

It certainly hasn't been easy for me I had many, many failures before getting where I have - and personally I wouldn't want it any more challenging.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

If you read through the various forums, you'll find many players complaining that the game is too easy. And many players complaining that the game is too difficult. Whatever your own opinion is, this probably isn't the correct forum.

Bit concerned to get a message that the club had expanded plough lane by 10000 seats and taken out a loan of 915k to cover this. Thought this was a bug since Harrow are just staying there, checked finances and realized the 'club' must be AFC Wimbledon - panic over :D

I have tried this challenge before on older years games, but never posted on the forums about my total lack of success.....This year i have chosen Margate , i holidayed a few times hoping for a Sussex club near to me , but nothing came up ....So Margate are my challenge.... I have already played a few games and doing better than i thought i would ...

5100134.png.41e48097c03172452aedd43cc74c2b4f.png

5a48b0d58c9ba_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.9e63e0f8911ddee2a76c08f6bafbff54.png5a48b0da9d223_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.ba0137fcd88b30d4c42c37047dc9a7f1.png5a48b0d81f741_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.4cb7e6deef69511bbabd000e7a753bb5.png

10 hours ago, Haiku said:

It's a game though, it is supposed to be fun, no one really think it completely reflects real life. I mean you chose players and managers based on numbers being higher than other numbers.  It's the fantasy/dream nature which is fun, regular football is most of the time boringly predictable, especially with the money in the game. 

Plus loads of people are struggling so not sure they would welcome the game being made more difficult. 

Several teams have also got 2/3 straight promotions IRL. My club Southampton went from League 1 to the PL and the following year finished 8th with largely the same squad bring players like Lambert, Schneiderlin, Lallana, and Fonte with them from League 1.  So it is hardly that far fetched, I'm sure if someone pumped millions into a League 2 or National league club they could get them to several straight promotions. 

One thing I will say is that there are too many good players just available on frees, AI clubs seem to just let people run down their contracts who could clearly do a job for them, pretty much my promotions were built on free transfers from higher clubs. Now of course I had plenty of wage budget to spare at Billericay because of the owner so I could sign basically anyone interested without much worry for wage budget but still, someone like Jonathan Leko was rated as a leading Championship player by my scouts/coaches and was only 23, and West Brom just let him go for nothing. 

Until my PL season, I had spent less than a £1 million on transfer fees in total but had signed over 50 players. 

It does come down to money though - Billericay and too a lesser extent Dulwich are very strong at non-league level on FM. This is due to money and attendances,  For a harder game you should have gone for a team with neither.

The example you gave in Southampton showed that, at L1 level they were richer and had more money than most. Luck with players also plays a part, sometimes players just do well for no obvious reason at a club after struggling at others, it happens all the time IRL.

Edit: just made a offer for a released player rated at 5 stars, wanted 1K p/w which i couldn't afford, he went to Margate who are in a division below with a lower rep and signed for 300 p/w, something which i can easily afford - this doesn't happen to the likes of Billericay.

22 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

It does come down to money though - Billericay and too a lesser extent Dulwich are very strong at non-league level on FM. This is due to money and attendances,  For a harder game you should have gone for a team with neither.

The example you gave in Southampton showed that, at L1 level they were richer and had more money than most. Luck with players also plays a part, sometimes players just do well for no obvious reason at a club after struggling at others, it happens all the time IRL.

Yup I've signed players who've been rubbish at their clubs but have flourished at mine and vice versa

2 hours ago, Thebaker said:

Edit: just made a offer for a released player rated at 5 stars, wanted 1K p/w which i couldn't afford, he went to Margate who are in a division below with a lower rep and signed for 300 p/w, something which i can easily afford - this doesn't happen to the likes of Billericay.

Yeh that was the point I was trying to make, Billericay are an easier team to do this challenge with for sure, but I'd never done a lower league save before and I was planning to do a very fluid tactic so I thought I'd go with them. 

Hence why I said it wasn't that unrealistic, if the Billericay owner IRL keeps up his spending they will be a league club in no time. 

And yeh I could easily pick up released Premiership academy players in the first season, even from clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs etc. as I could easily pay these players 1k - 1.5k a week in the Conference South.

Hereford, 2019/20:

Promotion! Sure, we didn't do it the easy way - we were top for about half the season and were let down by an iffy patch just after Christmas, but promotion through the playoffs (fantastic victories against Gainsborough, Stockport and Harrogate) is still promotion. However, now the planning begins for next season. I don't think scoring is going to be much of a problem - we were fine on that front throughout the season - but not conceding them might be.

Fixtures (pt. 1) | Fixtures (pt. 2) | League | Past positions | Squad | Dynamics | Transfers

Season  | Pos.  | Division          | FAC   | LC    | ECC   | EC    | Top scorer        | Most assists      | Best player
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 | 13th  | Vanarama North    | 4QR   | N/A   | N/A   | N/A   | Luca Navarro (17) | Pablo Haysham (8) | Scott Shulton (7.11)
2019/20 | 4th   | Vanarama North    | 4QR   | N/A   | N/A   | N/A   | Luca Navarro (20) | Henry Cowans (16) | Henry Cowans (7.40)

1st season in the championship finished. Scraped through in 21st with 46 points. Going into the off season with another takeover bid happening so hopefully it gets sorted before the transfer window this time round

Archived