Football Manager TV: Fantasy Draft

• Administrators
1 minute ago, westy8chimp said:

Wow, no idea what Fantasy Draft is but it was in FM17 too? Is it multiplayer only? Can someone be a gent and summarise it succinctly - does it go over multiple seasons or just a draft and then quick season?

Probably best to watch the video first then ask questions?

6 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Probably best to watch the video first then ask questions?

It's titled 'new look' :p if I knew the old look then it'd be a good comparison. 

At work can't play vids. Will the features be done in wall of text or screen shots at some point too?

What is a fantasy draft? Sounds too arcady for me.

Ps, that's a question and negative comment in respect of all football games - 'draft' doesn't seem like a British sports concept and something which came from the Fifa franchise, which I dislike :D

Edited by martplfc1

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

What is a fantasy draft? Sounds too arcady for me.

Ps, that's a question and negative comment in respect of all football games - 'draft' doesn't seem like a British sports concept and something which came from the Fifa franchise, which I dislike :D

It's a quick play mode for multiplayer online.

You draft a squad of players, then compete in Leagues and/or Cups against other people online.

Think of it as FM Lite for people who don't want the grind of a Full multiplayer game.

2 hours ago, gunner86 said:

May actually finally do a fantasy draft game this year. Really looks like they’re making this a more viable, fun, option

Same. There are lots of angles to this; favourite players, old team mates, certain styles etc.

Fantasy draft development is a good thing, because it is directly linked to the development of the entire network game, the real weak point of Football Manager.

There are so many people playing online and participating in several tournaments, many of them with annual duration, a real championships in short. If you were able to develop a good network modality, other people would be tempted to play online, because challenging and knocking the AI always makes fun, but when you challenging another person is all another thing and gratification increases.

1 hour ago, qwerty22 said:

Great progress on this part of the game

Now I need to find friends LOL

I have friends... but all of mine want to "go outside" and "do stuff"... Losers...

And this is the other reason why I've never played fantasy draft

I just set up my first draft in FM17... can play with just AI managers. AI squad building seems to have more logic than the full FM

think it would be improved if we had full capability to set the budget, or simply not have a budget like Fantasy Football Draft. Doesn't feel very fantasy - max budget 250, I'd spent 210m on my first 4 players (Messi Aguero Bonucci Ozil) then had to fill the squad with old/young rubbish (Cole, Bosingwa).

I'd rather play with more teams and all get good squads.

35 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I just set up my first draft in FM17... can play with just AI managers. AI squad building seems to have more logic than the full FM

think it would be improved if we had full capability to set the budget, or simply not have a budget like Fantasy Football Draft. Doesn't feel very fantasy - max budget 250, I'd spent 210m on my first 4 players (Messi Aguero Bonucci Ozil) then had to fill the squad with old/young rubbish (Cole, Bosingwa).

I'd rather play with more teams and all get good squads.

To be fair, I’m not convinced the AI teams are truelly built by the AI. They appear to follow certain pattern based on the manager chosen. For example, I played against an AI Robbie Fowler whose squad was full of past and present Liverpool players 

11 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

To be fair, I’m not convinced the AI teams are truelly built by the AI. They appear to follow certain pattern based on the manager chosen. For example, I played against an AI Robbie Fowler whose squad was full of past and present Liverpool players 

Ah right, makes sense .. I didn't pay that much attention, was my first go - didn't look at the AI teams I chose, just scanned their squads and they had a reasonable spread of positions and money.

10 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Ah right, makes sense .. I didn't pay that much attention, was my first go - didn't look at the AI teams I chose, just scanned their squads and they had a reasonable spread of positions and money.

Yeah, I think I did the same as you, took it for an FM17 test drive :D

Also, in the feature reveal, there was a screenshot of attribute cards, which seemed to relate to Fantasy Draft, but I don't recall it being mentioned in the Fantasy Draft video...

The problem with the budget cap is that the players in the draft seemed to be valued based on their spread of attributes, not on their contract status.
In the IRL, when we say that someone's squad is worth 300 million, often it is 7-8 players making the bulk of that.
All the others are free transfers, bargains (compared to their teammates) or academy players.
An uncapped budget wherein the user sets the limit would enable this scenario:
1. In a small game (as these drafts typically are), each player would be able to draft in 3-4 world class players. Now, that would make it absolutely interesting.
2. Allow an entire squad to be built the Bayern/Atletico way (they never seem to pay over the odds for potentially world class players). I'd like to build a squad of 18, by buying players for an average price of let's say 30 million. This comes up to 540 million. 30 million isn't a lot in today's market.

EDIT: This isn't to say that the above won't be possible in FM18. This is simply an observation based on my experiences playing Fantasy Draft in FM17.

Edited by managerdude_66

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, managerdude_66 said:

The problem with the budget cap is that the players in the draft seemed to be valued based on their spread of attributes, not on their contract status.
In the IRL, when we say that someone's squad is worth 300 million, often it is 7-8 players making the bulk of that.
All the others are free transfers, bargains (compared to their teammates) or academy players.
An uncapped budget wherein the user sets the limit would enable this scenario:
1. In a small game (as these drafts typically are), each player would be able to draft in 3-4 world class players. Now, that would make it absolutely interesting.
2. Allow an entire squad to be built the Bayern/Atletico way (they never seem to pay over the odds for potentially world class players). I'd like to build a squad of 18, by buying players for an average price of let's say 30 million. This comes up to 540 million. 30 million isn't a lot in today's market.

EDIT: This isn't to say that the above won't be possible in FM18. This is simply an observation based on my experiences playing Fantasy Draft in FM17.

None of which is true. Players have never been valued based on their attributes.

That not withstanding... I really don't understand the cap on squads. Is it purely because SI have come up with some AI squads that match those budgets and therefore don't want to code them to flex for an unlimited budget? I'd have thought they could be really simply coded to draft preference in rank and position. And then have the AI manager personality to determine which positions they go for first. i.e. AI Mourinho is defensive so signs the best keeper and defenders possible first. AI Guardiola is attacking so goes for the best playmakers and strikers first...

Budget removes the fun as you can't create a 'fantasy' team. I want to see the elite face off not have a squad worse than Burnley.

On 19/10/2017 at 14:32, Lucas Weatherby said:

None of which is true. Players have never been valued based on their attributes.

How are values set for the draft then? And how come Julio Baptista costs 3.5m to draft even though he’s a free agent?