The 8th Annual FMCU Awards - Voting

deltablue

Good Moaning!

Yep, the time has come again, and I can't believe we're on year 8 ;) Most of you know how it works but we always have a few people (and even have an award for it) who are experiencing the joys of FMCU awards season for the first time. Here is last year's award thread for a taster/reminder, though the pictures are all messed up because of photobucket.

The rules are as follows... you have to speak for a minute on a subject that I give you without hesitation, repet... oh hang on, wrong card.

There are 9 award categories...

Best FMCU Newcomer
For the best.... newcomer. As in someone who hadn't posted a thread on here before this year, and you can see a people's thread starting history on their profile. There are a few out there to choose from.

Best FMCU Team
For your favourite side that someone has had.

Best FMCU Journeyman Career
For be best journeyman career, were people travel around taking charge of multiple sides.

Best FMCU Poster
An individual award for posting activity

Best FMCU Fountain of Youth
For youth only careers, which means not signing any players at all. Yes some people struggle with that concept.

Best FMCU Retro Career
The best career on an older version. Anything before FM17 counts.

Best FMCU Thread Name
This should be pretty obvious ;)

FMCU Manager of the Year
Returning after a successful debut last year.

Best FMCU Thread
For the best thread of any type, one-club, journeyman, youth-only (which are always one-club anyway)...

Rules
1. PM all votes to me.

2. You're not allowed to vote for yourself, your thread or anything from your thread. No one tries but I still check and it's worth repeating every year.

3. You can only make one vote in each category.

4. Try and vote in every category if you can.

5. Only threads started in the past year are eligible, with the exception of the 'Retro' category which can be older.

Awards night will be held at 6pm on Saturday October 14th, so the voting deadline will be 7am that morning.

Good luck everyone, I look forward to seeing your votes :)

So is there no longer a rule on threads being older than one year as long as they're still active? This might impact my decision in a couple categories.

I'll be voting in a few hours!

3 hours ago, oriole01 said:

So is there no longer a rule on threads being older than one year as long as they're still active? This might impact my decision in a couple categories.

I'll be voting in a few hours!

Not formally. I considered it (and last year as well) due to there being hardly any 'Retro' threads from this year and widen the field a little but given we can't have the same thread winning an award in multiple years that would rule out Withnail's old 'Scandinavian Shankly' thread that ran for most of the year. I couldn't decisively decide one way or the other so I was just going to leave it up to people's interpretation and hoping no one would raise it ;) However since that didn't work I think I'll keep things simple and say that they still have to be started in the past year, and edit the OP accordingly.

OK scratch that. As I was writing that last post the first set of votes came in which included a 'Retro' vote for an older thread (not mine, in case anyone was wondering). It would be unfair to disallow it since there was nothing specifically forbidding it so I guess that opens the door for older threads after all if people want to go for them, but only for the 'Retro' category as I do think that it should mainly be about threads specifically from the past year.

It fits the theme of the category anyway to the point that the one year we had the 'Classic' award as well (for threads like that since we had a few active long runners at the time, as a stop gap to potentially getting rid of the 'one year old' rule) people got confused about which was which with the then-new 'Retro' award ;) . If people have strong opinions one way or the other we can set that in stone again from next year, but hopefully this will be a suitable arrangement.

Three sets of votes in already, with mine (done last week) making 4, definitely a flying start! I really enjoy number-crunching (every year I've kept tally not just of the votes from each category, but also an overall leader-board) so I genuinely love recording all the votes and watching the situation unfold. That's why I feel like making update posts in here on voting progress and it's hard not to say too much and risk spoiling anything ;)

Up to 11 now. I think we only had 13 or something in total the first time I did this two years ago, though there were a bunch more last year. It's good to see so many people interested this year :)

Sorry guys, Oriole01 does not count as a newcomer (he had a Kidderminster thread the previous summer), since I've seen that twice now. However those are the only 'ineligible' votes I've had so far which compared to previous years is pretty good going.  ;)

53 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Cheers guys. A lot of people got their votes in early but we've still had a few trickle in, with a full week and a half to go.

Just got mine in now. There's one category I am not sure if my entry is valid, but I'm sure you'll confirm before long if I need to rethink ;)

Your newcomer vote was fine. Things are definitely getting interesting now. We have a few cases were someone was comfortably leading a particular category only for things to even up a lot more, with 3 ties as things stand, so votes yet to come are still going to make a big difference.

On 2/10/2017 at 12:11, deltablue said:

Up to 11 now. I think we only had 13 or something in total the first time I did this two years ago, though there were a bunch more last year. It's good to see so many people interested this year :)

Were we can vote mate?🙂

I think we're probably going to have a nomination cap next year. Best Thread Name in particular always attracts a lot and I've just received nomination No.12 for this year (of which only 4 have multiple votes), which seems ridiculous, and this is the absolute last one I'll allow (since it's far too late for any new contenders to emerge anyway). Add in some long and complicated thread names (and a bit of post formatting) and it can be a bit of a pain to list them all as I like to do.

We're also going to have a couple of extra guest stars, (and the pictures are going to have to be done differently) so I'll have quite a lot on my plate, plus I'll have only recently returned from the pub ;)

Just hours left to go guys, and we're just back to a tie for one award. So Wavelberry (or anyone else) could well be the deciding vote. Just don't give us a tie in another at the same time since there's just one vote in it for a couple of them ;)

3 hours ago, deltablue said:

Just hours left to go guys, and we're just back to a tie for one award. So Wavelberry (or anyone else) could well be the deciding vote. Just don't give us a tie in another at the same time since there's just one vote in it for a couple of them ;)

Is it too late for me to pull myself together and cast my votes? :lol:

OK, voting is now closed. We had 26 people send in their votes this year (plus my own, since obviously I wasn't sending them to myself) which is something double two years ago, and probably a decent improvement on last year as well. It's great to see so many people engaged and as always it's been interesting looking at everyone's voting choices and watching everything unfold over the course of the past couple of weeks or so. I hope a lot of you guys will join me for awards night (which will have it's own separate thread) from 6 this evening.

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

OK, voting is now closed. We had 26 people send in their votes this year (plus my own, since obviously I wasn't sending them to myself) which is something double two years ago, and probably a decent improvement on last year as well. It's great to see so many people engaged and as always it's been interesting looking at everyone's voting choices and watching everything unfold over the course of the past couple of weeks or so. I hope a lot of you guys will join me for awards night (which will have it's own separate thread) from 6 this evening.

Any bookies allowing bets on this? 

On 12/10/2017 at 08:40, deltablue said:

I think we're probably going to have a nomination cap next year. Best Thread Name in particular always attracts a lot and I've just received nomination No.12 for this year (of which only 4 have multiple votes), which seems ridiculous, and this is the absolute last one I'll allow (since it's far too late for any new contenders to emerge anyway).

Is it worth drawing up a shortlist of say 5 (or whatever) titles for future editions? 

Probably. Maybe wait for the first 5 or 6 nominees then quickly publish them as a shortlist, or have two rounds of voting. The fact that 8 of the 'Best Team' nominees come from 3 people seems a little odd as well. 

2 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

I am actually not going to stay for a pint after the game today so I can be back in time for this. What have I become?

Ever heard of smartphones? :onmehead:

Alternatively, bring the pint back home! 

6 hours ago, deltablue said:

Really sorry. 

Keep meaning to send my votes through but I found it really hard this year as although I have posted a fair bit, I haven't actually read many threads. Sorry again. :(

Archived