*Help* How to beat Arsenal 4-2-3-1 cup final | reply needed asap

So I have Arsenal in the FA Cup and I'm very nervous, I've beat every team in the league at least once BUT Arsenal so to have them in a cup final which i really want to win is an issue, they play a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders. I've played 4-1-2-3 all season and beat the likes of City, Chelsea and Spurs, with a false 9.

Can anyone recommend any tips for me to come out on top, ill post the previous games between me and arsenal for you guys to look at. Thanks in advance.

20170130143105_1.jpg

20170130143117_1.jpg

Unless the team is much stronger than my own i just go for the win, its a cup final so anything can happen and previous results won't matter as its at a neutral ground. Seeing as Arsenal are only slightly stronger than Liverpool on the game (imo) i'd go the win early on and hope to take the lead by a goal or even two and then sit back and counter/defend.

I also struggled a lot early on then now I have beaten them in last 4 matches. Idea is to do not let them go all out attack. They have too much quality to find a scrappy goal.

I play as MU 4231 have beaten other teams in league but Arsenal always seemed impossible. With little changes in role, I made my tactics such that I am very well at defending and devastating at counter. I go with standard mentality.

In order to figure out how to beat a team you need to look at how they are playing.  This means you need to look back at the replays of the previous matches you played against them and try to work out how they are playing and where they are leaving space available for you to attack into.  For example a 4-2-3-1 has two potential gaps for you to exploit.  Firstly it has no DM so potentially there is a space there to exploit can you get the ball into that space to take advantage?  The second potential vulnerability is on the flanks as there is a lot of space between full back and wide players in the AM position.  Look at the replay and see if there are gaps in these positions and then decide how best you can modify your strategy to take advantage of it.

Finally are they playing a direct or possession game?  Is the way you are set up to defend helping to counter this or making it easier for them?  Defensively are they sitting deep and hitting you on the break or are they playing a high press or even a very high press?  Is the way you are set up to attack helping you get by them or is it making it harder?  Personally when I have a big game against a team of similar quality I tend to watch the full match and try to make changes based on how thing are going.  Doing this I have won a lot of big matches though against Mourinho I still struggle.

28 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Unless the team is much stronger than my own i just go for the win, its a cup final so anything can happen and previous results won't matter as its at a neutral ground. Seeing as Arsenal are only slightly stronger than Liverpool on the game (imo) i'd go the win early on and hope to take the lead by a goal or even two and then sit back and counter/defend.

I currently have 5 supporting roles and 1 defence role in my midfield and forwards, should i add an attacking role to my creative midfielder instead of support or add an attacking role to my winger or inside forward? How could i go about applying that kind of pressure from kick off in a hope i get the first goal?

11 minutes ago, abhid30007 said:

I also struggled a lot early on then now I have beaten them in last 4 matches. Idea is to do not let them go all out attack. They have too much quality to find a scrappy goal.

I play as MU 4231 have beaten other teams in league but Arsenal always seemed impossible. With little changes in role, I made my tactics such that I am very well at defending and devastating at counter. I go with standard mentality.

What team instruction was you using, retain possession, high tempo, low tempo?

11 minutes ago, abhid30007 said:

What team instruction was you using, retain possession, high tempo, low tempo?

7 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

In order to figure out how to beat a team you need to look at how they are playing.  This means you need to look back at the replays of the previous matches you played against them and try to work out how they are playing and where they are leaving space available for you to attack into.  For example a 4-2-3-1 has two potential gaps for you to exploit.  Firstly it has no DM so potentially there is a space there to exploit can you get the ball into that space to take advantage?  The second potential vulnerability is on the flanks as there is a lot of space between full back and wide players in the AM position.  Look at the replay and see if there are gaps in these positions and then decide how best you can modify your strategy to take advantage of it.

Finally are they playing a direct or possession game?  Is the way you are set up to defend helping to counter this or making it easier for them?  Defensively are they sitting deep and hitting you on the break or are they playing a high press or even a very high press?  Is the way you are set up to attack helping you get by them or is it making it harder?  Personally when I have a big game against a team of similar quality I tend to watch the full match and try to make changes based on how thing are going.  Doing this I have won a lot of big matches though against Mourinho I still struggle.

I'm set up to play possession, both games looking at stats my team has just performed badly and Arsenal taking advantage of that. So by going off what you've said, would changing to 5 at the back formation possibly work, or maybe a 4-3-3 but my team wouldn't be too familiar with those formations?

7 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

I'm set up to play possession, both games looking at stats my team has just performed badly and Arsenal taking advantage of that. So by going off what you've said, would changing to 5 at the back formation possibly work, or maybe a 4-3-3 but my team wouldn't be too familiar with those formations?

3 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

I have no idea how you expect people to know if you should change formation, add an attack duty etc when you still haven't posted your tactic or discussed the issues you had in the games you previously lost or that you have in general.

Everyone else seems to be able to help, or at least give an opinion. I posted both match reports which is enough information for people to know what went wrong and what areas need improving. Ill post the pictures for you now.

LFC Tactics.jpg

Starting 11.jpg

16 minutes ago, Gladoo said:

Everyone else seems to be able to help, or at least give an opinion. I posted both match reports which is enough information for people to know what went wrong and what areas need improving. Ill post the pictures for you now.

Well, anyone can give an opinion.  But it's impossible to give an informed one without knowing your tactic.

Having now seen it, I think there are a few potential issues.  

First, you have two wingers up top, who will look to cross the ball into the box.  But you only have two players who are really going to look to get on the end of those crosses--the BBM and the poacher.  Of those two, the BBM is going to be charging up and down the field and will often not be that close when it's crossing time.

Second, after setting two roles to cross into the box you've then put on Work Ball Into Box, which will reduce their crossing--so that's a bit contradictory.

Third, your midfield may lack some defensive solidity because you have eschewed the double pivot.  Box-to-box midfielders can be great, but I've found that in a 4-2-3-1 they often do more harm than good thanks to their roaming.

Fourth, you're set to Use Tighter Marking against a team with some of the most explosive and/or tricky players in the PL (Sanchez, Ozil, Bellerin).  Trying to stick that close to them all the time can often make your players easy to beat with a simple move.

Fifth, you've set both of your CBs to Stopper, which seems a bit reckless to me.  Both players in the center of your backline are now going to charge out and close down whenever the opportunity arises, particularly since you are on a high mentality and have closing down set higher as well.  That means they'll be out of position a lot and easy (for Arsenal) to beat with some comparatively simple passing.

There's probably more on which to comment but that's what jumps out at me.

14 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

Well, anyone can give an opinion.  But it's impossible to give an informed one without knowing your tactic.

Having now seen it, I think there are a few potential issues.  

First, you have two wingers up top, who will look to cross the ball into the box.  But you only have two players who are really going to look to get on the end of those crosses--the BBM and the poacher.  Of those two, the BBM is going to be charging up and down the field and will often not be that close when it's crossing time.

Second, after setting two roles to cross into the box you've then put on Work Ball Into Box, which will reduce their crossing--so that's a bit contradictory.

Third, your midfield may lack some defensive solidity because you have eschewed the double pivot.  Box-to-box midfielders can be great, but I've found that in a 4-2-3-1 they often do more harm than good thanks to their roaming.

Fourth, you're set to Use Tighter Marking against a team with some of the most explosive and/or tricky players in the PL (Sanchez, Ozil, Bellerin).  Trying to stick that close to them all the time can often make your players easy to beat with a simple move.

Fifth, you've set both of your CBs to Stopper, which seems a bit reckless to me.  Both players in the center of your backline are now going to charge out and close down whenever the opportunity arises, particularly since you are on a high mentality and have closing down set higher as well.  That means they'll be out of position a lot and easy (for Arsenal) to beat with some comparatively simple passing.

There's probably more on which to comment but that's what jumps out at me.

Well thats an eye opener, I have another formation i use but with similar player roles which i meant to post, so going off what you've said ill edit the other 4-1-2-3 formation and post it for you to review, the game is really close now. Thanks for everyones help too. Formation below.

With Mane, I'm not sure what role to set for him or what player commands as he is a winger so can you recommend anything for that. I've took off Tight marking but ive added close down on the opposition tactic, I've also changed the roles of the 3 midfielders. Can you recommend anything else mate?

LFC Tactiics.jpg

Starting 11r.jpg

53 minutes ago, Gladoo said:

Which is very nice of them to try to help but they must be making assumptions and posting there personal preferences, which may have nothing to do with your actual tactic.  Stats don't mean anything on there own.

Did you make any good chances? Did they create good chances? If so was there anything in common with them (crosses/counters/etc)?

10 minutes ago, Gladoo said:

Well thats an eye opener, I have another formation i use but with similar player roles which i meant to post, so going off what you've said ill edit the other 4-1-2-3 formation and post it for you to review, the game is really close now. Thanks for everyones help too. Formation below.

With Mane, I'm not sure what role to set for him or what player commands as he is a winger so can you recommend anything for that. I've took off Tight marking but ive added close down on the opposition tactic, I've also changed the roles of the 3 midfielders. Can you recommend anything else mate?

LFC Tactiics.jpg

Starting 11r.jpg

Firstly I agree with most of the points @Tajerio made.  I think Tight Marking is ok if your players have the mobility to track players

With regards to this latest tactic:

1. 4 playmakers is way too many, your going to have too many players trying to get the ball to feet and few looking to make a run or do the dirty work.  Your players will already offer close support from being Very Fluid.
  2. You've then told both DC's to be more adventurous with the ball, what is the aim of that?  Surely you want them to play safer balls through the playmakers? Who do you expect them to play more expansive passes to in that team?  Especially when you've said to Play Out From Defence and Retain Possession?

Wow, that's a lot of play makers. Including the 2 BPDs you have 6. I forget who wrote the guide, but he suggested that for very fluid tactic you should limit the specialized roles to 0-1. 

I think I would keep Coutinho as AP-s and Weigl as DLP-d, but change the rest. I would go IF-A for Mane, CD-d for the 2 CBs, and maybe a CM-s and BBM for the cms.

1 hour ago, Gladoo said:

Everyone else seems to be able to help, or at least give an opinion. I posted both match reports which is enough information for people to know what went wrong and what areas need improving

Posting those match reports is nowhere near "enough information for people to know what went wrong and what areas need improving".  The only thing we can learn from those reports are you lost both matches and neither team are very accurate at shooting.

Any opinions provided up until you provided some further information are generalisations which may or may not be relevant for you.

Now that you have provided detail of your setup, people can give you much more focused advice which you are finding useful, which is exactly why you were asked for more information.

If you post again looking for help, please first read the pinned thread at the top of this forum called "Looking for Help - PLEASE READ THIS" so that you know what is required.  It's there for a reason yet is often ignored.

3 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Which is very nice of them to try to help but they must be making assumptions and posting there personal preferences, which may have nothing to do with your actual tactic.  Stats don't mean anything on there own.

Did you make any good chances? Did they create good chances? If so was there anything in common with them (crosses/counters/etc)?

Firstly I agree with most of the points @Tajerio made.  I think Tight Marking is ok if your players have the mobility to track players

With regards to this latest tactic:

1. 4 playmakers is way too many, your going to have too many players trying to get the ball to feet and few looking to make a run or do the dirty work.  Your players will already offer close support from being Very Fluid.
  2. You've then told both DC's to be more adventurous with the ball, what is the aim of that?  Surely you want them to play safer balls through the playmakers? Who do you expect them to play more expansive passes to in that team?  Especially when you've said to Play Out From Defence and Retain Possession?

Okay, so who would you recommend dropping as a play maker and what role? Maybe Henderson to a central midfielder or box to box with Weigl to sit deep? The centre backs in Lovren and Sakho i think are comfortable moving on the ball, I try get them involved more like Liverpool IRL, the centre backs are kinda used as a CDM when in position and the midfielders/attackers from sorta free roam.

What would you recommend to do with the playmakers, who/what to swap.

What tactics, roles would you use on the CB's?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, killacam0913 said:

Wow, that's a lot of play makers. Including the 2 BPDs you have 6. I forget who wrote the guide, but he suggested that for very fluid tactic you should limit the specialized roles to 0-1. 

I think I would keep Coutinho as AP-s and Weigl as DLP-d, but change the rest. I would go IF-A for Mane, CD-d for the 2 CBs, and maybe a CM-s and BBM for the cms.

Yeah, playmakers definitely need changing. Ill look to introduce IF-a for Mane and also a BBM and CM but the only problem is that i playing with either Lallana or Wijnaldum alongside Henderson who are attacking players, should i keep them as AP if not what would you guys recommend and the Defenders ill possible change depending on @SummatSupeer comments.

Thanks for the reply.

9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Posting those match reports is nowhere near "enough information for people to know what went wrong and what areas need improving".  The only thing we can learn from those reports are you lost both matches and neither team are very accurate at shooting.

Any opinions provided up until you provided some further information are generalisations which may or may not be relevant for you.

Now that you have provided detail of your setup, people can give you much more focused advice which you are finding useful, which is exactly why you were asked for more information.

If you post again looking for help, please first read the pinned thread at the top of this forum called "Looking for Help - PLEASE READ THIS" so that you know what is required.  It's there for a reason yet is often ignored.

Noted. Can you please fix the replies it keeps posting everything twice. I'm new around here and yes i ignored the thread you mentioned. My apologies.

2 minutes ago, Gladoo said:

Yeah, playmakers definitely need changing. Ill look to introduce IF-a for Mane and also a BBM and CM but the only problem is that i playing with either Lallana or Wijnaldum alongside Henderson who are attacking players, should i keep them as AP if not what would you guys recommend and the Defenders ill possible change depending on @SummatSupeer comments.

Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that on very fluid your players adhere to the role less than on standard. So even though a CM-s role isn't very attacking by default, playing an attacking player like lallana will still be decent in attack because it lets the player come through more. I hope that makes sense.

25 minutes ago, killacam0913 said:

My understanding is that on very fluid your players adhere to the role less than on standard. So even though a CM-s role isn't very attacking by default, playing an attacking player like lallana will still be decent in attack because it lets the player come through more. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense and ill be adding that now.

Well I'm just waiting out for a few replies then the time is here to face Arsenal, looking for silverware in my first season :D

Just now, Gladoo said:

Yeah that makes sense and ill be adding that now.

Well I'm just waiting out for a few replies then the time is here to face Arsenal, looking for silverware in my first season :D

The other thing you can do if you want to make sure someone like Lallana or Wijnaldum is coming up to support from midfield is to give him the PI Get Further Forward.  He'll move a little more like he's on an attack duty, without the higher mentality setting that would involve.  Of course, on very fluid your players' mentalities are all going to be fairly close anyway, but it can make some difference.

I definitely think changing Mane to an IF-A makes some sense, since you've got Clyne coming forward to provide your width, but you'll want to keep an eye on that right flank.  Clyne's pretty responsible in defense, from what I remember, but with both your wide players over there on attack duties, you could be susceptible to balls played in behind them while both are high up the pitch.  Not saying you should change anything, necessarily--every tactic in the world has weaknesses--but watch out for it.   

2 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

The other thing you can do if you want to make sure someone like Lallana or Wijnaldum is coming up to support from midfield is to give him the PI Get Further Forward.  He'll move a little more like he's on an attack duty, without the higher mentality setting that would involve.  Of course, on very fluid your players' mentalities are all going to be fairly close anyway, but it can make some difference.

I definitely think changing Mane to an IF-A makes some sense, since you've got Clyne coming forward to provide your width, but you'll want to keep an eye on that right flank.  Clyne's pretty responsible in defense, from what I remember, but with both your wide players over there on attack duties, you could be susceptible to balls played in behind them while both are high up the pitch.  Not saying you should change anything, necessarily--every tactic in the world has weaknesses--but watch out for it.   

Yeah good points, ill add play further forward and i might put my full-backs to support. Seems good to me.

11 minutes ago, Gladoo said:

Yeah good points, ill add play further forward and i might put my full-backs to support. Seems good to me.

Don't know if I'd do that second bit.  You do need width from somewhere, and with Mane as IF-A and Coutinho as AP-S they'll both be cutting inside--so it's got to be your fullbacks doing it.  You can get them further forward as well by adding the PI, or you can change them to WB-S which has Get Further Forward by default.  You can also cover for that right side a little bit by having a right-sided CM on a defend duty, though that can be a little tricky to work nicely with a 4-1-2-3.

One more broad point--you are on Control and Very Fluid.  The description of the mentality in-game says it's for sides that want to control the game, but what it really means is that your players will take more risks--because mentality is mostly a "riskiness of play" setting.  If you combine that with Very Fluid, which brings all your players' mentalities closer to the overall team mentality, then you are going to have almost everyone on your team playing high-risk football.  That may very well be what you're aiming for, and if it is, by all means play on.  But if what you're aiming for is the in-game description of "controlling the game," the Control mentality is neither necessary nor sufficient. 

14 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

Don't know if I'd do that second bit.  You do need width from somewhere, and with Mane as IF-A and Coutinho as AP-S they'll both be cutting inside--so it's got to be your fullbacks doing it.  You can get them further forward as well by adding the PI, or you can change them to WB-S which has Get Further Forward by default.  You can also cover for that right side a little bit by having a right-sided CM on a defend duty, though that can be a little tricky to work nicely with a 4-1-2-3.

One more broad point--you are on Control and Very Fluid.  The description of the mentality in-game says it's for sides that want to control the game, but what it really means is that your players will take more risks--because mentality is mostly a "riskiness of play" setting.  If you combine that with Very Fluid, which brings all your players' mentalities closer to the overall team mentality, then you are going to have almost everyone on your team playing high-risk football.  That may very well be what you're aiming for, and if it is, by all means play on.  But if what you're aiming for is the in-game description of "controlling the game," the Control mentality is neither necessary nor sufficient. 

I want quality of possession but with my attackers mainly trying risky passes, what would you recommend? 

I'm paused on 32mins, I'm 1-0 down... 6 shots 2 on target for me, 1 shot 1 on target and 1 goal for Arsenal... 62% possession to there 38%! God dam this game is frustrating.

Half time result is 2-0 to Arsenal.. I'm done, 63% possession, 8 shots 4 on target. They've had 2 shots and 2 goals, I have greater pass accuracy. Just seriously what can I do.. 

Summary

Final score Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal.

Liverpool stats on left | Arsenal stats on right

Shots - 14 - 2

On target - 5-2

Clear cut - 2-2

Possession - 60% - 40%

Passes complete - 86% - 73%

Avg rating - 6,83 - 7.25

Arsenals goal explanation.

Goal one - Arsenal take possession after an LFC throwing, Mustafi plays the ball back to opsina who hits it to Ozil around half way, Ozil finds Sanchez who runs inside and pulls around 3 players out of possession, AFC defensive midfielder is now free and Sanchez lays it back, DM then sprays the ball out wide to Iwobi who is in some space, beats Moreno and plays a simple front post cross were Welbeck runs infront of Sakho to score an easy goal.

Goal two - Matip clears a cross from Gibbs, Ozil collects on the edge of the box, lays it left to Gibbs who whips a cross back post for a simple Iwobi tap in.

If anyone has any feedback it would be muchly appreciated, honestly feels to me like EA FIFA aids exists in FM17 too, absolutely smashed them and they had 2 shots and two goals, my team didn't perform bad nor amazing but I'm very frustrated that the game on paper should've easily been won by my side. i'm new to FM17 so maybe i don't understand the game engine yet but any feedback is wanted.

Stoke scored against Man Utd the other week without a shot on target and nearly won the game, just because you shoot more doesn't mean you should win.  Arsenal had the same number of clear cut chances (what about half chances?) and converted them.  5 of 14 shots on target isn't bad but could be better.  How many times does Barcelona have 60%+ possession but lose or Leicester last season having <40% and winning?  What you do with the ball matters more than stats, stats are just there to point you in the direction to look for issues.

I can't help but think your expecting too much, like you've shoving lots of different ideas into one tactic without considering what each needs to work well.  I would recommend reading the FAQs if you aren't sure what things do.  There's guides in the sticky to demonstrate some different styles plus some other features like Team Shape. I really recommend reading Lines and Diamonds, it covers a lot of the principles of play plus things like defensive styles, attacking styles and how they need to fit together, whilst made for FM15 (i think) the only bit that's out of date is Team Shape (watch/read Rashidi's guide on that).

Start simple.  Get your players roles + duties right first so they're combining well with maybe a couple of team instructions.  Then refine the style through tweaking instructions, mentality and team shape depending on what you see.

I've found playing a 4-3-1-2 works especially well against Arsenal's 4_2_3_1. I play defensive and structured with 2 CWB's on attack as my 2 fullbacks. My midfield three are 2 BTB midfielders with a DLP on defend in between them. My three attacking players are an attacking midfielder on attack duty behind a TM support and an AF. I use direct passing with instructions to look for the overlap and work the ball into the box

54 minutes ago, OhHoopedOne said:

I've found playing a 4-3-1-2 works especially well against Arsenal's 4_2_3_1. I play defensive and structured with 2 CWB's on attack as my 2 fullbacks. My midfield three are 2 BTB midfielders with a DLP on defend in between them. My three attacking players are an attacking midfielder on attack duty behind a TM support and an AF. I use direct passing with instructions to look for the overlap and work the ball into the box

I'll have to try this, I've tried lots of things but nothing works.

54 minutes ago, OhHoopedOne said:

8 hours ago, Gladoo said:

It works really well against Arsenal as they have a tendency to pass it through the middle and rarely cross it and with the direct passing you can easily can catch them on the break. I have even used this to come back from 3 down and draw 3-3 and have used it, to great effect, with several clubs against Arsenal

I'm managing Arsenal (for years and years ... just like AW), and the best way to stop us is not letting us have time on the ball. Constant pressure and closing down, that's your best shot. Let us have time on the ball, and you'll lose. But neither should you mark very close, as we have plenty speedy players up front that will use that to their advantage. Put a few yards  between your defenders and someone like Walcott, to give them a little head start if he decides to make a run for it

So close down aggressively, but don't mark tightly.

And play it safe. We know how to counterattack, as I'm sure you know.

And pay attention to Özil in particular. If you let him do what he wants to do, you'll lose. Put a good, agile and speedy player with good tackling as a DM, and tell him to go in hard. Sometimes that will stifle Özil's game sufficiently, but not always. If he's having a particularly good day and evades most of your challenges, there's little you can do about him, no matter how hard you try.

I seem to batter Arsenal on a regular basis, but play exactly the same way as them. However, I play with two ball winning midfielders in the centre and use the team instruction to close down much more. Also to prevent short GK distribution. I play with two complete wing backs on attack to press high up the pitch with my two inside forwards on support. My complete forward and attacking midfielder as usually together around the centre of the box waiting for my inside forwards to provide them the ball.

Arsenal seldom get any action against me.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 14.32.44.png

Archived