[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

April

4c5d9122752028176567517b200a3748.png

A pretty decent end to the season. We beat fellow relegation battlers Shepton Mallet 5-2, we were 4-0 up within 31 minutes which was a surprise, but it probably says more about just how bad a team they are than anything else, as they ended up finishing bottom. We could only draw at Bashley, which given they were behind us at the time, was a bit of a poor result as I really thought we could've done with winning that. We managed to get a point as North Leigh which was a better result as they were above us, but the result at home to Thatcham on the last day was a huge one. They were 3rd at the time, so to be 3-0 up at half-time was unreal. I really thought we'd blow it in the 2nd half, especially when they put in a 2nd, but we held onto the win which could play a real part in whether the club give me a new contract or not this summer. 

7d632fcb77c5c133d6d4f82b66815d6d.png

We end the season in 13th, which is pretty good considering we went into the last day down in 17th place. Whether or not this will be enough to get me a new contract is another question. Fingers crossed as otherwise I could be headed back down to the County Leagues sooner than I was hoping. 

Season 6: Swindon Supermarine

8728b0b776f36ada39d6b314cd6c2584.png

I joined Supermarine in early December. They were lingering in lower-midtable and had already been eliminated from the other competitions. I feel like I came in and did okay to end up 13th, but I would've liked to do a bit better. I didn't get any money for wages to bring anyone in - after renewing contracts for next year, it seems I won't have any next year either. I'm not sure how far I can take this team without bringing in some more players, but there is decent depth in terms of younger players that have high potential (but low CA) so it's not all bad news. 

Squad pt 1pt 2

We didn't really have any standout players this year, if I had to give praise to anyone it would probably be our winger pair of Leon Redwood and Joe Selman.

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

August

931d4292313be80f064638ddc5ad3de6.png

Peacehaven & Telscombe is one of the best lower league team names I've seen so far, thankfully the 10th tier side weren't up to too much and we got past them 2-1.

bf38b089cb6800743f6ea70dc75d5d52.png

Meanwhile, we've had an absolutely awful start to the league. What makes it more frustrating is that save for the Yate match, we haven't even been playing that badly. When we were losing games last season we genuinely deserved to lose them, but these games have been a different story.

Our season started on the Isle of White and we led Newport for most of the match, it was only in the last 20 minutes of the game that they really started putting us under pressure - and whilst their 87th minute equaliser was coming, it was still gutting to throw away 3 points so late on. Things went from bad to worse at home to Taunton, as we took the lead early on and looked comfortable for most of the match, but the away side turned the game on it's head and we blew it in the second half. I thought we'd at least hang on for a point, but Taunton scored an 89th minute winner which was gutting but again, not surprising. The Salisbury game was just a nothing match, it had 0-0 all over it and neither of us really did anything all game, but then Salisbury scored from a corner in the 75th minute and that was the end of that. Yate was a terrible performance as I said though, possibly a result of the bad morale in the squad after the previous 3 games' disappointments. 

93ea75a75768465b08448eb42114a116.png

Bottom of the league ffs :D 

September

708e985896d447a1268d910f6250c3c4.png

We took fellow 8th tier side Ashton Athletic to a replay after a difficult game at their place. The replay was a walk in the park in comparison, we were 4-0 up at half-time and we didn't look back despite Ashton getting a goal back. 

02f7a80aa83fa9e3f025b20daf17f8b3.png

We played 9th tier side Bedworth in the next round, who were just as tough as Ashton were despite being a lower division side. I was a bit worried about a replay away from home, especially after we surrendered an early lead, but we eventually took it to penalties which we thankfully won. We face Conference South side Margate away from home in the next round, who will be the biggest side I've faced in my career to date. 

16fee0545239fe6db42400af08a0279f.png

Another fairly ropey month in the league. We did at least manage to get a win against fellow relegation battlers Westfield, as well as a point against high flying Cribbs thanks to a late Matt Fey equaliser. 

1b832e24f93fb10dabdf5d1d374830f2.png

We have games in hand, but the table is still making for very grim reading at present. 

October

12376869e53eb8033cffe6b429366b52.png

This match sort of set the tone for a very eventful month. We took a shock lead against Margate when Joe Selman opened the scoring in the 3rd minute, it sort of came from nowhere and I couldn't believe it. We even held onto the lead and went in 1-0 up at half-time, I was already day dreaming about achieving a huge upset and going through! We got shunted back down to earth early in the second half, but then Matt Fey put us 2-1 up on the 59th minute, and I thought surely we could hold out for at least a home replay with it being that late in the game. Unfortunately we couldn't, they equalised not too long after, then scored again, and then hit us again when I went all out attack to try and scramble an equaliser and the replay I felt we had snatched away from us. A sad end to what was an exciting cup game. 

ec9def1709209bef435dc55e133e985e.png

We didn't have much luck in the FA Trophy either, with an away trip to fellow 8th tier side Burscough ending in deserved defeat. 

46812f829d8ded70ee56d4644494da2a.png

We did however manage to beat Team Solent 3-2 in the Southern League Cup, with Luke Hastings' late winner sealing a delightful comeback victory in a ding dong game. I took extra pride in beating Team Solent, as they're affiliated with Southampton Solent - who are the bitter rivals of Portsmouth Uni. 

fcece4df3dc8b85ddfdf8cc2bf0b5d38.png

The month's league fixtures started off in dire fashion, with a 4-1 smashing at home to Totton. We then went to Guernsey and it looked like it was going to be a repeat of the Totton drubbing, but we actually showed some character and got back in the game, we almost looked like we might get an equaliser but we didn't quite manage it. I went into the Cirencester match expecting nothing as they're in the playoff places, but for once we actually turned up and beat them quite comfortably. This seemed to be a bit of a catalyst for success as we then got a point at Portland, before beating fellow struggling side, Slimbridge, with Nicky Gent popping up with a very satisfying late winner. 

bc14b7b34d3f743431712508f9aa2dd9.png

Despite some promising results this month, we're still lingering in 19th place which is not good enough. We have had some pretty tough games so far though, so I'm hoping we can bounce back and nick some points against sides that are more on our level in the coming weeks. 

November

d9508042a76cf27e85f4dabc66086c83.png

Oh my god man - we're out of the Southern League Cup after losing to Godmanchester in extra-time. 

c2141752bd3b5efe0b93666df55fb484.png

A decent month in the league though, with 2 wins, 2 draws and just the 1 loss. Matt Fey had a particularly good month with 5 goals in 5 games. 

aa0a65e418a00f8b2ab393e5254501c2.png

We're up to 16th at the minute, which is good if you take into account our woeful start to the season, but we should really be doing a bit better. Hopefully over the time the table will better reflect where we are as a side. 

I thought it was a bit strange that I hadn't been linked with too many jobs yet, as by early December I've usually been taken by now. It seems that whilst I'm still on £190 p/w at Supermarine, they have a higher compensation percent clause, so currently it would cost a club £1,500 to take me - which could be off putting for a lot of 9th tier or 8th tier sides. 

Oh wait, no, nevermind guys. I got offered an interview with Enfield, a fellow 8th tier side that are currently in the Isthmian League 1st Division North, but alas, I failed the interview. Not really sure what I did wrong in the interview to fail it, perhaps there were just better candidates on the market. Tbf it would've been a pretty sideways move anyway as they're 18th in that division, which is barely any better off than I am now. 

Although you can guarantee I'll get poached by a 9th tier side now I've said that :D

Edited by PaulHartman71

December

f02cd77e0c4dec79f383349bb99a49c2.png

Haha. If you don't laugh you'll cry. 1 win, 1 draw and 4 losses this month, including some absolute horror shows at home to Winchester and Newport. I'm amazed I wasn't sacked this month, really not sure how I'm still in the job with this form :D

84ce3e90bd8715db60e97b9167e16c23.png

We're down in 20th place and it's looking pretty bleak, but it looks like I'm being given a get out by another club who have offered me an interview. It will be a relief and a welcome Christmas present to do exactly that. 

16 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

I hope you don't get relegated with Swindon S next year. What happened to the other teams you managed before?

Ipswich Wanderers remain in the Eastern Counties League, they finished in 7th place last season, which was an improvement on the 16th place finish from the year before. 

Coventry Sphinx have yo-yo'd up and down the Midland Football Premier League. They finish 7th one season then 18th the next. They're currently in 20th place and could well go down this year. 

Carlton Town are still in the United Counties Premier League, they've finished 8th and 15th in the last two seasons. 

Basildon finished in 13th place last season and are no closer to getting promoted from the Essex Senior League. It's sad that failing to win that game on the final day of my first season with them may mean they stay there forever. 

Lincoln United came 14th last season in the Northern Counties East Premier League. They are in 4th at the moment, but are still 15 points behind top of the table Parkgate. 

January

When I joined, Trafford were in a lowly 17th place staring relegation to the 9th tier straight in the face. What has happened this month is nothing short of a Christmas miracle. 

6b55e8f9faaa2e047a92cc3e2fd8dfb3.png

We've been in absolutely unbelievable form, with 5 wins and 1 draw in my first month in charge - and these weren't just wins against anyone, Colne and Kendal are 2nd and 3rd in the table, so to beat them is a really really good sign. I still can't quite believe how well this month has gone. It's like one of my team's has actually seen the benefit of the new manager gets you some wins syndrome! 

51f491864cb304ecef56583e528aa52d.png

In just 6 matches we've gone from a side in a relegation battle, to a side with a genuine outside chance of making the Playoffs! What a belter. 

Oh, I actually forgot to mention that when they signed me to a contract, for the time ever they actually gave me longer than a year as they've given me until the end of next season rather than this season. Although this could be because I signed later in the year (technically the new calendar year) than I usually would, either way I'm not complaining though :D

February 

ced16d5e0a9691908913e18bcba1ce0a.png

The month started off on a bit of a low, as we suffered our first loss since I took over. Cammel Laird were much the better team and deserved their victory. We went to struggling Marine in the next game, they're right at the bottom of the table fighting relegation but they gave us a proper game, we only managed to equalise in the 82nd minute through Kevin Classon's desperate header. He was so desperate to get his head on the ball he damaged his neck in the process and instantly put himself out for 3 weeks, fair play to the lad though as you can't fault his commitment! We then won two on the bounce, including 1 against Playoff rivals Scarborough which saw Ben Bruce pop up with a very late winner. 

e711423415e2b85b2c0842fdc6ca5888.png

That win against Scarborough is huge as it throws our hat right in the mix for the Playoffs which just 8 games to go. 

March

25d8a426e938f9f837ed27198ad8cfe0.png

This month was very much a game of two halves. It started off wonderfully well with a trip to Glossop, where we secured a 60th minute winner after surrendering our early lead. We then went to Ashton United and found ourselves 1-0 down for much of the first half until Ben Bruce equalised with just seconds left of the first 45 minutes. This turned the game around and within 20 minutes of the second half we were 3-1 up, despite a late consolation from Ashton United, we took a huge 3 points against them. Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck against their rivals, Ashton Athletic, who beat us 2-0 at home. We then lost a big game against Playoff rivals, Whitby, after Ben Bruce took an early lead. It was a big blow to our late bid to have a fighting chance at promotion to the 7th tier. 

0a9253710dfbd14f8b2b97eb5d228134.png

If we had won against Whitby we would be in the Playoff places ourselves, but now with 4 games to go we have it all to do. We don't have an easy run of games either, with Colwyn Bay away and our last day of the season home match against runaway winners Burscough. Let's hope they ease up with nothing to play for. 

April

7877a2b2d667cc9637c2e318363ed045.png

We did reasonably okay in a tricky month of fixtures right at the end of the season. We actually led in both games we lost against Colwyn Bay and Burscough, but despite the early goals we ultimately couldn't hold on to get even a point out of either one of them. 

b463728820986284e8895598b32ac37f.png

A bit disappointing in the end to miss out on the Playoffs which would've been a real dream come true, but ultimately I can't fault the team for their magnificent run of results since I took over in January. The building blocks for a real promotion push are there for next season, let's hope we don't suffer the usual 2nd season blip that my teams tend to end up doing :D

Season 7: Trafford FC

0230b8627fb0e6e03774f687cb2ae675.png

When I joined Trafford in January, they were in 17th place and had been eliminated from every cup competition they'd entered. It seemed like a season destined for failure and mediocrity. But in just 4 months I turned their season around, we went on a great run and came narrowly close to making the Playoffs. I'm full of confidence for next season now and I really think we can do it.

Squad pt 1pt 2

Kevin Classon was probably the standout during my time at the club, with 9 goals and 4 assists in 20 games. He also provided the most memorable moment of the season, when he put himself out for several weeks with a damaged neck in his desperation to score an equaliser. Great goal tbf to the lad. Jacob Evans was a highlight in midfield, with Classon's strike partner, Ben Bruce, also an impressive member of the side during my spell.

Career History

Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Just 2 points off, balls.

Missing Basildon's wild wages, no?

It does look like I'll get around £400 in extra wage budget to spend this summer, which isn't to be sniffed at, especially at this level. I could definitely do with the wage budget I had at Basildon though yeah, although I spent loads of wage money on players there and we ended up flopping anyway!

Edited by PaulHartman71

In a bit of interesting news further up the English pyramid, Barrow, who started the save in the Conference, have just won promotion to League 1. This was masterminded by their manager of the last year, 32 year old Corry Evans. It's pretty interesting to see a player retire at such a young age in the save and then go on to be a reasonably successful manager. Fingers crossed both Barrow and Corry Evans can keep up their rise in reputation. 

Maldon & Tiptree, everyone's favorite non-league Tycoon owned side, still just about find themselves lingering in League 2. They finished 20th in their first season and last season they narrowly avoided relegation by finishing in 22nd place. Their current manager is none other than ex-England international Goalkeeper, Paul Robinson, who will surely be hoping he can get a bit of money and improve on their recent performances. 

18 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

It does look like I'll get around £400 in extra wage budget to spend this summer, which isn't to be sniffed at, especially at this level. I could definitely do with the wage budget I had at Basildon though yeah, although I spent loads of wage money on players there and we ended up flopping anyway!

I was talking about YOUR wages, not your players'. :D

2 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

In a bit of interesting news further up the English pyramid, Barrow, who started the save in the Conference, have just won promotion to League 1. This was masterminded by their manager of the last year, 32 year old Corry Evans. It's pretty interesting to see a player retire at such a young age in the save and then go on to be a reasonably successful manager. Fingers crossed both Barrow and Corry Evans can keep up their rise in reputation. 

Maldon & Tiptree, everyone's favorite non-league Tycoon owned side, still just about find themselves lingering in League 2. They finished 20th in their first season and last season they narrowly avoided relegation by finishing in 22nd place. Their current manager is none other than ex-England international Goalkeeper, Paul Robinson, who will surely be hoping he can get a bit of money and improve on their recent performances. 

Good to see a Cumbrian side doing well, all that successor money for trident must be getting siphoned off into the football club ;)

On 29/12/2016 at 17:34, noikeee said:

I was talking about YOUR wages, not your players'. :D

OH haha. Yeah, it would be a bit reassuring to be on slightly more to prevent a 9th tier side coming back in for me, hopefully they'll all just assume an 8th tier manager wouldn't be interested! 

September

801ec81bb853158554ce409a53afdc4a.png

9th tier side Eynesbury proved a tricky test in the FA Cup, we only managed to drag out an away replay after a last minute away goal in the home tie. Duncan Todd was on form in the away tie to prevent an upset and see us through. 

9511f05149a6b8f426472fe37d274fe3.png

7th tier side Matlock awaited in the 2nd Qualifying Round. We held our ground in the home leg, but they were a different side when we went to their place 3 days later. They completely outplayed us and embarrassed us 4-0. 

d1a46952fbdcf7345dc7a2269f9127a1.png

A solid start to the month saw two wins on the bounce, including high quality late drama at Tadcaster, which saw Max Andrews score a goal, then more or less score again straight away from kick off. We've not won in 3 since then, with 3 draws in a row, I'm hoping we don't get complacent and can return to winning ways sooner rather than later. 

6a2cf520bfec15c1ce3d47593a29de9e.png

We've dropped to 4th for now, but we're still unbeaten in the league and have a game or two in hand on most teams, so I definitely don't have anything to complain about just yet!

October

6fb470335365b0da1502354f00c0bad0.png

We were competitive with Durham, but ultimately they got the better of us in our first and only FA Trophy match this season. 

4f3102eb7e7b8782acaf23822bd2fd04.png

There's not really many words which won't get filtered that can describe this month's league form. I can't even. Granted there were some tricky away matches, but to lose 5 in a row is just horrific. 

f5bd3b8998a54dfbfb7cf98f9d6e67e0.png

We're all the way down in 16th now ffs, whilst we have a game in hand, it's unbelievable how just 5 games has seen our season massively flipped on it's head. Hopefully we can recover from this. 

8c7fc29c9a87883265370115d9ec0f49.png

The one positive this month, was that on Halloween we ended our scarily poor form with a 4-1 away win at Scarborough in the Northern Premier League Cup. 

Ouch.

On the bright side, you probably managed to break an all-time FMCU record by going 4th to 16th in a month. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. :D

Perhaps a change in tactics could benefit you? What system are you playing?