FM17: Liverpool FC - Heavy Metal Football

cezar.sl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got a successful game going with Liverpool. Just finished season 1 and won the Premier League with a (club) record 95 points.

Trying everything I can to make the club as home-grown as possible and got really lucky with the random PA assigning apparently very high PA to Gomez, Woodburn, Brannagan, Sheyi Ojo and a few others. Even Ward started with a determination of 13 so he gets to stay (normally it's something awful like 2 or 3).

In the first summer I signed Donnarumma for £17m, Charlie Taylor for £10m, Lloyd Kelly for £500k and Da Silva-Lopes for £3m.
January saw me recruit Atakan Akkaynak for £25m and Mitchell van Bergen for £6m 
Notable departures 1st season: Lovren (£22.5m), Leiva (£12.5m), Mignolet (£7.5m) and Sturridge (loan to Sevilla). I released a lot of useless kids as well.

Donnarumma kept 27 clean sheets in 38 league games, winning the golden glove - he also saved around 7 or 8 penalties. No real high goal scorers as they came from all over the pitch.

Season 2 just started and I've only signed de Vrij for £45m so far, plus promoted Flanno, Ward, Alexander-Arnold, van Bergen and Ojo to the first team squad. Extended Illori's contract as he put in some great performances last season.
Notable departures include: Can (£46m), Firmino (£38m), Ings (£12.5m), Klavan (£5m), Karius (loaned to Ajax), plus again released a lot of useless kids and dross fringe players.

At present there are 18 players in the first team squad who are either trained in nation, trained at club, or will be one or the other within a couple of years. It's something I really enjoy improving with Liverpool.

Excited about the coming season with direct entry into the Champions League group stages. 

Don't get this game sometimes. Won the league in my first 2 seasons, won the Champions League second season, in the semi-finals now against AC Milan and sitting 5 points clear with 3 games to go. Man City have finished outside the top 4 both seasons and cant finish above 6th this season and yet Thiago Maia, who is my star world class DM, wants to leave me for City as they are a bigger club. WTF!!!!!!!!!

Also have Coutinho wanting to leave for Madrid for the same reasons which is at least a bit more understandable.

@Kevmcc87 - I'd sell both Coutinho and Maia, no problem. You'd probably get £100m for Coutinho and although I don't know much about Maia, given your comments it would also be an astronomical fee?

You'd get around £150m for the pair plus be saving huge wages, appearance fees, goal bonuses and so on. That's the way I look at it. In a little over 1 season with Liverpool I've slashed the wage bill by £1m a week, plus the club has a balance of £200m (remaining transfer budget of £150m) - we just won the League as well.

Well done on the consecutive titles and Champions League success as well btw.

@..Valhalla.. Only problem is bringing in replacements for less money and wages that are the equal of those 2. Can't really be done. I've got Muniain as my back-up and a regen coming through but Coutinho has been immense for me. Same with Maia. I've got a regen as back-up but he isnt ready to be first choice and Maia isn't actually on huge wages for the player he is. It just annoys me as I've literally had to get rid of Firmino, Lovren, Can, Sahko, Markovic and Mane all for the same reason. Their heads getting turned by big clubs. I've made good money selling all of those and Sturridge so money isn't really a problem especially when I would have to shell out the what i bring in on replacements and maybe more wages either. Gonna keep Maia defo but I may sell Coutinho if i get a monster offer.

Here's my regens for those positions and Maia to give you an idea.

*Should say, I'm retraining Diallo as an IF left

Peter Vernon_ Overview Profile.png

James Diallo_ Overview Profile.png

Thiago Maia_ Overview Profile.png

They look really good prospects. I understand your concerns about selling them and it's your call of course, I was just giving you my thoughts. (Again, just my personal opinion, but) I would definitely be playing Diallo regularly - he looks as good as Ryan Kent was for me on a previous save - I played him as 1st choice RW and within 1 season his attributes improved enormously and his value went from £1m to £16m. I finished 2nd in the League despite playing at least 5 youngsters in every match. Kent, Woodburn, Ojo, Trent, Ronaldo Vieira were all regulars. We opened the season with a 2-1 win away at Chelsea - Ryan Kent danced through the defence and scored a 90th minute screamer to win. What a moment for the lad.
Board confidence for playing kids was at 100% :cool:

I unload practically all foreign players from Liverpool and the only people I import from abroad are players young enough to be trained at club/nation within a few years (Akkaynak, van Bergen, Donnarumma etc). de Vrij this season is the exception because I needed a top class CB with International experience, but I sold Firmino, Can, Leiva, Lovren, Mignolet, Klavan, Karius, Markovic and a few others so I had space to bring in at least 1 foreign player.

Yeah, Diallo's getting bumped up to back-up next season so either Coutinho or Muniain will be leaving to ensure he gets plenty of games. I haven't had much luck with Kent or Ojo. Both seem to be too injury prone unfortunately. Apart from Sule, Romagnoli, Maia and Dybala (but who could pass up Dybala for £60 mil after he was unhappy at Juventus), I've bought at 18 and younger so they will be trained at club. Locatelli and Donarumma have been insanely good buys as has Melegoni. I seem to like Italians for some reason in this years FM. Last year it was Germans lol. The futures looking bright. I've got pretty much a back up 11 of youngsters pushing for first team already. I'll post a few of the best ones.

Manuel Locatelli_ Overview Profile.png

Ben Woodburn_ Overview Profile.png

Filippo Melegoni_ Overview Profile.png

Vito Borrelli_ Overview Profile.png

Kjell Arne Enger_ Overview Profile.png

Paterne Lumanza_ Overview Profile.png

Joe Lee_ Overview Profile.png

Muhammed Kara_ Overview Profile.png

I got 10 seasons in recently, managing various clubs and nations. Donnarumma was playing for PGS (obviously) as a 27yr old and he was absolutely immense. Every GK attribute was 17, 18, 19 or 20... my scouts reckoned he would cost £150m to £190m to buy :D

Wow that IS a result! He's the only player on my team who will get whatever contract he wants (once offering a new contract is required). I will never sell him as long as I'm Liverpool manager, 20yrs at least I think we'll have him for.

I've just been offered £80m for Mane, not sure if I should take it or not.

I've just picked up Wilshere on a free which is pretty good, only 27 too, I've also just bought Bernado Silva from Monaco for what feels like a huge fee of £80m hopefully he won't let me down.

Just now, ..Valhalla.. said:

I would sell Mané for that, that's a buttload of cash for an average winger (in FM). 

I wish I had, he's now upset that I didn't sell him! 

Who to replace him with though is the question.  There is plenty of time left in this transfer window so don't need to rush

Have a look at Pione Sisto wherever he is in your game. Similar to Mané really but I bought him for Schalke in 2020 and he was player of the season 2 years running (won the title both years and the Champions League in 2021/22).

I then bought him for Sevilla in 2023 when I was their manager (in the same save/career) and he was phenomenal again.

When I moved back to Schalke in 2026 I bought him yet again and he just carried on being magnificent.

For the first year in Schalke I wanted to sell him because his mentals aren't great (although his personality was resolute), but he just kept scoring and getting assists; broke the Bundesliga assists record 2 years running. Scores ridiculous free kicks as well.

I always played him as a Right Winger, support. Occasionally he covered as a Left Midfielder and was totally comfortable there as well.

9 minutes ago, Plastic_Road said:

I wish I had, he's now upset that I didn't sell him! 

Who to replace him with though is the question.  There is plenty of time left in this transfer window so don't need to rush

I bought Berardi after selling Mane and he has been awesome for me. Check Adam Ounas out and see how hes developed under AI.

@Plastic_Road - I'm not entirely sure if Sisto has random hidden attributes so might be slightly different in your game. I scouted him again here and he seems the same as in that Schalke career I had; loves big matches, highly professional, fast, unpredictable.

Cons are listed as heading (not important) and consistency, but like I said earlier he broke several records for me and always played well so maybe that one is randomly set at game start. 

The Brazilian Allan couldn't get a work permit when i tried to renew his contract so he can't be back-up for my DM and CMs this year. Boo.  Oh well, can't get the Brazilian one so the Welsh one will need to do instead :lol:

Joe Allen_ Overview Profile.png

32 minutes ago, Plastic_Road said:

I've just picked up Wilshere on a free which is pretty good, only 27 too, I've also just bought Bernado Silva from Monaco for what feels like a huge fee of £80m hopefully he won't let me down.

Bernardo SIlva has been my best player by a mile, has won world player of the year twice too. Gets a Goal or assist for me every game.

Just finished season 3 finished 3rd the 1st 8 games cost me the title as id lost 5 of the 1st 8 games but only 4 more for the rest of the year did mange to win the Fa cup lost in the q/f of the champions league on the away goals Origi scored 44 goals & Firmino scored 42 goals my signing of the year was Calum Chambers who i got for 1.2 mill & was my number right back replacing Clyne in the 2nd half of the year Ojo is rated 4 stars & could replace Continho if i sell him for a good price 

I just finished up my fifth season. Won the Premier League for the fourth time in a row, but didn't win anything else. Got kicked out of both FA Cup and ChL by Man Utd, who keeps being my strongest rival, mostly because of De Gea.

I sold off Isco and Roberto Firmino (£60M each), and bought back Dele Alli to replace Isco. (I had sold Alli to Real ½ a year earlier). Firmino was already basically replaced by super-regen Wilfried Thomas.

My starting lineup these days are: Donnarumma - Trent, Rugani, Stones, Grimaldo - Maia - Alli, Henderson - Mane, Lemar - Thomas.

On 06/01/2017 at 11:51, Kevmcc87 said:

@..Valhalla.. Only problem is bringing in replacements for less money and wages that are the equal of those 2. Can't really be done. I've got Muniain as my back-up and a regen coming through but Coutinho has been immense for me. Same with Maia. I've got a regen as back-up but he isnt ready to be first choice and Maia isn't actually on huge wages for the player he is. It just annoys me as I've literally had to get rid of Firmino, Lovren, Can, Sahko, Markovic and Mane all for the same reason. Their heads getting turned by big clubs. I've made good money selling all of those and Sturridge so money isn't really a problem especially when I would have to shell out the what i bring in on replacements and maybe more wages either. Gonna keep Maia defo but I may sell Coutinho if i get a monster offer.

Here's my regens for those positions and Maia to give you an idea.

*Should say, I'm retraining Diallo as an IF left

Peter Vernon_ Overview Profile.png

James Diallo_ Overview Profile.png

Thiago Maia_ Overview Profile.png

Just agreed to buy Maia for £12M joins in Jan (season 1) :)

On 06/01/2017 at 15:16, Plastic_Road said:

Defo take

7 hours ago, glenn28 said:

Just finished season 3 finished 3rd the 1st 8 games cost me the title as id lost 5 of the 1st 8 games but only 4 more for the rest of the year did mange to win the Fa cup lost in the q/f of the champions league on the away goals Origi scored 44 goals & Firmino scored 42 goals my signing of the year was Calum Chambers who i got for 1.2 mill & was my number right back replacing Clyne in the 2nd half of the year Ojo is rated 4 stars & could replace Continho if i sell him for a good price 

Unlucky mate love when you can get someone cheap and works out boss

4 hours ago, ThunderZtormDK said:

I just finished up my fifth season. Won the Premier League for the fourth time in a row, but didn't win anything else. Got kicked out of both FA Cup and ChL by Man Utd, who keeps being my strongest rival, mostly because of De Gea.

I sold off Isco and Roberto Firmino (£60M each), and bought back Dele Alli to replace Isco. (I had sold Alli to Real ½ a year earlier). Firmino was already basically replaced by super-regen Wilfried Thomas.

My starting lineup these days are: Donnarumma - Trent, Rugani, Stones, Grimaldo - Maia - Alli, Henderson - Mane, Lemar - Thomas.

:cool:

PSG just offered me 106m for coutinho (80m upfront the rest over 48 months).  This is end of season 1.

I may be mad but I ended up rejecting it as he was by far my best player and almost the sole reason I won the Premier league and FA cup.  I kept thinking take the money and replace but also thought who else would I prefer.

If they come back with more I may be forced to sell.....

8 hours ago, gmulv said:

PSG just offered me 106m for coutinho (80m upfront the rest over 48 months).  This is end of season 1.

I may be mad but I ended up rejecting it as he was by far my best player and almost the sole reason I won the Premier league and FA cup.  I kept thinking take the money and replace but also thought who else would I prefer.

If they come back with more I may be forced to sell.....

I was the same mate. Real offered £110m for him in my third season but the only player who could realistically come in and replace him was Greizman and I couldn't get him so I rejected it. A lot of players were unhappy but I held a squad meeting and said how much worse off we'd be without him so that changed everybody's mind and within 6 months Coutinho was happy to stay so all's well that ends well.

Hi everyone, just got round to buying the new game and as always I'm starting with a Liverpool save, I don't want to make too many alterations to the squad but I'm looking to find a good pacy right winger to compete with or back up Mané. 

Grateful for any suggestions, looking to play with an AMR as winger rather than inside forward etc. and no one else in the squad has the sort of pace I'm after.

@sparkycufc I've seen Ryan Kent develop well in other peoples saves. Not mine unfortunately, too many injuries :-(

Adam Ounas could be a shout as well. Good thing with him is he's too footed so can play either winger or IF equally well. Julian Brandt, Felipe Anderson and Lucas Moura would fit the bill as well.

40 minutes ago, sparkycufc said:

Hi everyone, just got round to buying the new game and as always I'm starting with a Liverpool save, I don't want to make too many alterations to the squad but I'm looking to find a good pacy right winger to compete with or back up Mané. 

Grateful for any suggestions, looking to play with an AMR as winger rather than inside forward etc. and no one else in the squad has the sort of pace I'm after.

Are you talking about short term or long term? Long term wise Markovic would be fine as a back-up. Alternatively you could re-train Origi

16 minutes ago, sparkycufc said:

Thanks @gmulv @MrMungo I'm looking, I suppose, for both. Initially I was thinking shorter term until I can develop Kent but if there's a good long term prospect out there who can also do a job now I wouldn't be averse to splashing the cash on him.

I have Lincoln playing there - he is a monster at the tender age of 18.  Got him for 4mil but have to wait until he turns 18 to join

I play him as inside forward (support) on the right.  Had to retrain him for the right as he is natural on the left.  He managed 9 goals and 10 assists in the second half of my first season as a backup to mane.  I think he will be pushing mane for first choice this season if he keeps it up!!

My initial plan was to develop a tactic where Moreno would overlap Coutinho on the left but Mané/A N Other winger would hug the line as Clyne is not so good going forward but I suppose there's potential to improve Clyne's attacking and get lots of bodies in and around the penalty area.

Archived