Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schweinsteiger has been a passenger since he came on. Getting nowhere near the ball.

I actually looked at him around 80 mins when he was labouring to get to a player, I thought 'He's spent best get him off', then I remembered he had just come on. :p

"seems about right"

Exactly. We have sod all idea where Oliver added time on. I wouldn't be surprised if it was too little

What did your stopwatch say? Surely you've been monitoring the extent of this problem when watching live games.

Smalling was immense today. Probably should have been sent off but he was holding the entire defence together.

Also, that run down the left wing by Martial when Rashford was down injured - wasted a load of time, relieved pressure and bought us a freekick, it was absolute class.

As you are advocating a strict ball in play game clock* I assumed you had tested to see how that would work out in terms of time left once the current clock reaches 90 minutes.

*This is what I believe you're advocating, apologies if I've misunderstood.

Glad you guys won the game, the apparent lack of professionalism that the City players are giving off deserves to see them slip out of the European places, hopefully they drop enough points in the coming weeks & get spanked by PSG.

As you are advocating a strict ball in play game clock* I assumed you had tested to see how that would work out in terms of time left once the current clock reaches 90 minutes.

I once saw something on the amount of time the ball is in play during 90 mins and i think it was in play about 50 mins of the 90.

I once saw something on the amount of time the ball is in play during 90 mins and i think it was in play about 50 mins of the 90.

Indeed.

The current system is fine.

Even if you only stopped the clock until a sub was made, when the goal celebration ended and the match was restarted, then injuries to players the game would go on too long.

I would imagine the average game would have around 10 minutes stoppage time at least.

We should probably remove goal line tech and just go by feel again :thup:

There just might be a reason basically every major sport uses a stop clock.

But I'm leaving it there, I really can't be arsed with this again :D

Indeed, which is why I attempted to inject some humour with my last reply. btw Rugby doesn't use a stop clock & I'm sure field hockey doesn't either so what you mean is every major US sport.

What a great result that was. Not spectacular but certainly a solid performance. The annoying thing for me is that in these big games the whole team shows a fighting grit and determination that is often missing against the lower teams, and that's where our problem lies at the minute.

Smalling was immense today, really has had a great season. Rashford and Martial both did really well whilst Schneiderlin and Carrick did their job in midfield really well. Lingard was his usual self, he touched the ball at one point in the second half and I was genuinely surprised he was playing as I'd totally forgotten. Was a definite penalty on Rashford, really struggling to see how that doesn't get given, just an awful decision by the referee.

Blind being our corner taker makes me very sad. Never puts in a decent corner. Valencia came on and immediately got flummoxed under the slightest pressure from a City shirt. Thought Rojo had a stinker as well.

Good set of results for us all told with Liverpool losing from 2-0 up. West Ham drawing as well is another step towards this season potentially ending on a less embarrassing note than it might.

Everton at home next in two weeks, and the team needs that rest so hopefully those who are jaded will not be overworked with their internation sides. Will hopefully get another couple of faces back from injury by then, too.

Must be an odd feeling to want your club to be as successful as possible but the higher up you finish the more likely it is that LvG stays on for next season & you have to think that City, Chelsea & Liverpool can't be as bad next term.

4th place finish and LVG leaves would be the dream scenario. If it means LVG stays, then I'd rather west ham get 4th place since it would be pointless for us to get in CL just to get knocked out in the group stage in the easiest group ever.

Must be an odd feeling to want your club to be as successful as possible but the higher up you finish the more likely it is that LvG stays on for next season & you have to think that City, Chelsea & Liverpool can't be as bad next term.

If the rumours are true, we will get an even worse manager next season, so in that case it's pretty easy for me to hope we win as many matches as possible now, so maybe van Gaal stays on. He hasn't been great, but I actually prefer him to the eyestabber.

If the league was just the top 10 teams we would be top. It's the bottom half we are **** against. If LVG figured that out or its just a case of we are missing that certain player to unlock defences I would give LVG his last year.

Indeed, which is why I attempted to inject some humour with my last reply. btw Rugby doesn't use a stop clock & I'm sure field hockey doesn't either so what you mean is every major US sport.

Last time I watched field hockey they had a clock count down to zero and the game ended on zero. So while they probably don't stop the clock too often, there's no added time based on a whim. Team handball also has a set ending point, though the clock isn't stopped at all. That's very much not a major US sport. Eurobasket is the same iirc, another non-US sport. So we're left with... Rugby and football vs basically every other sport that involves timekeeping?

If the league was just the top 10 teams we would be top. It's the bottom half we are **** against. If LVG figured that out or its just a case of we are missing that certain player to unlock defences I would give LVG his last year.

I think I'm remembering a tweet correctly that City have now not won a single game out of 10 against the current top six. Might be 9, I'm not quite sure

I think I'm remembering a tweet correctly that City have now not won a single game out of 10 against the current top six. Might be 9, I'm not quite sure

9. City have drawn 3 and lost 6. We have won 3, drawn 3 and Lost 1. We have Leicester at Home and Spurs & West Ham away left.

Last time I watched field hockey they had a clock count down to zero and the game ended on zero. So while they probably don't stop the clock too often, there's no added time based on a whim. Team handball also has a set ending point, though the clock isn't stopped at all. That's very much not a major US sport. Eurobasket is the same iirc, another non-US sport. So we're left with... Rugby and football vs basically every other sport that involves timekeeping?

Rugby Union uses a stop clock.

It doesn't stop for everything, but it is used.

They don't blow up on 80 minutes, but they do blow up the moment there is an infringement by the attacking side after the 80 minutes is up or after the ball goes out of play.

9. City have drawn 3 and lost 6. We have won 3, drawn 3 and Lost 1. We have Leicester at Home and Spurs & West Ham away left.

Ah, thought the tweet I saw was during the game, must have been after the game :thup:

Rugby Union uses a stop clock.

It doesn't stop for everything, but it is used.

They don't blow up on 80 minutes, but they do blow up the moment there is an infringement by the attacking side after the 80 minutes is up or after the ball goes out of play.

So in a way, only football remains. Interesting

Since announcing Pep will be taking over City have become shambolic.

They've been ***** since September - as skewed as our position is towards the start of the season, theirs is even worse:

The common misconception is that the deterioration coincides with Guardiola announcing he was moving to England and diminishing Pellegrini’s status in front of the players now they know he has, in effect, already been fired in advance. The bottom line, however, is that City have actually been floundering ever since they began the season with five wins on the bounce. Since then, they have taken a mere 36 points from the subsequent 24 games. There have been eight defeats, one in every three matches, and a league table covering that period (seven out of the eight months played this season) would leave them in ninth position, 19 points off the top – and behind, among others, Southampton and Stoke City.

Yes, we all know Manchester United have been wretched, lurching from one crisis to another and frequently leaving the sense that a bewildering manager and inadequate bunch of players do not fully understand what it means to wear the club’s colours. And yes, this has been the worst Chelsea team of the Roman Abramovich era, encompassing possibly the most chastening experience of José Mourinho’s professional life. Yet, going into this weekend, United had taken more points than City since 13 September and Chelsea had the same. Over the same timeframe, West Bromwich Albion would be two points behind the team put together on Abu Dhabi riches and so would Bournemouth.

If Guardiola studied City’s results against the top-half teams, he would discover they have won two out of 13 games this season. What does it say that only one other club – Aston Villa, this season’s Slapstick XI – have won fewer, or that City have gone 21 games without recording back-to-back victories and, again, that there is only Villa of all the top-division teams who have managed a longer stretch? Or, indeed, that the most expensively assembled squad in English football, featuring 11 players in the range of £22m to £55m, has managed only 13 goals from 14 away matches? The team has not recorded lower figures at the corresponding stages of any other season in the Sheikh Mansour era and only three clubs have scored fewer times. One is Tony Pulis’s West Brom. The other two are in the relegation places – Sunderland and Newcastle.

From Danny Taylor. Just underlines again how ***** the league is this season.

Will sound like a broken record but I don't get the Smalling love in, was all over the shop too often chasing players going nowhere and leaving gaps; not to mention being extremely lucky to benefit from Oliver's farcical officiating. Blind far better, and as others have said Schneiderlin was very impressive, and both Martial and Rashford had some very good moments. Sad to see Carrick so far off the pace now though, chasing shadows for most of the match.

They've been ***** since September - as skewed as our position is towards the start of the season, theirs is even worse:

From Danny Taylor. Just underlines again how ***** the league is this season.

Will sound like a broken record but I don't get the Smalling love in, was all over the shop too often chasing players going nowhere and leaving gaps; not to mention being extremely lucky to benefit from Oliver's farcical officiating. Blind far better, and as others have said Schneiderlin was very impressive, and both Martial and Rashford had some very good moments. Sad to see Carrick so far off the pace now though, chasing shadows for most of the match.

This is as farcical as the officiating.

Carrick was excellent.

From Alex Netherton article today:

The manager is still perplexing, and still likely to make the wrong choices. They may have won today, but they won despite Daley Blind in central defence, and despite having a squad that is far too small, and full of mediocrity and underperforming senior players who have given up on their manager. There is a chance that Manchester United might steal fourth place. If that happens, Van Gaal could keep his job, and that would be a disaster for the players, club and fans.

Archived