Things that never happen...

Spot on. :applause:

Some people expect to literally see the ball dribbled round the GK and walked into the net.

You are taking it "around" the GK to give yourself a better angle.

What are you talking about? Happens irl all the time, keeper comes out, striker touches it past him and runs round to tap the ball into an empty net.

[h=2][/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by
laBOMBA
viewpost-right.png

I'd love it if SI could incorporate a match being briefly stopped by an event such as a streaker, chicken on the pitch, toiletpaper thrown on the pitch,....

why

why

thats stupid and a waste of time

pitch invasions when team wins something would be ok but not long just seeing fans run on like when the bench runs on

Well, some people ARE stupid and yes, it is a waste of time. But it is real life and FM is all about realism.

1) A handball decision for a penalty or free kick.

3) A fullback or goalkeeper awarded MOM.

Had these two happen plenty of times.

Well, some people ARE stupid and yes, it is a waste of time. But it is real life and FM is all about realism.

Yeah, but there's realism, then there's pointless realism.

I'm playing FM12 so apologies if not correct in latest game but in addition to what others have mentioned, have never seen

- players booked for playing on after a whistle, or kicking the ball away etc

- anyone other than the final throw-in taker, initially going to take it (whereas IRL it's not uncommon for the nearest player to make like they are going to take it, then toss it to the regular throw in taker when he comes over)

- players stealing yards on throw-ins or fouls, IRL they are constantly taken 5 yards further upfield

- physio coming half way on and then going off again when player stands up and says they're OK

- generally no animation of players doing anything with their feet above knee height, with the single exception of very very rare overhead kicks. Eg no scissor kicks, no fouls for a high foot.

- clashes of heads resulting in both players down after a contested header

- ref warning players for tussling prior to a set piece

- ref changing their original decision (either by themself or after consulting assistant)

- not sure I've ever seen a low chip over a rushing out goalie who's gone/going to ground from a striker clean through, the only chips I've seen tend to be lofted ones when the goalie is still on his feet

I'm playing FM12 so apologies if not correct in latest game but in addition to what others have mentioned, have never seen

- players booked for playing on after a whistle, or kicking the ball away etc

- anyone other than the final throw-in taker, initially going to take it (whereas IRL it's not uncommon for the nearest player to make like they are going to take it, then toss it to the regular throw in taker when he comes over)

- players stealing yards on throw-ins or fouls, IRL they are constantly taken 5 yards further upfield

- physio coming half way on and then going off again when player stands up and says they're OK

- generally no animation of players doing anything with their feet above knee height, with the single exception of very very rare overhead kicks. Eg no scissor kicks, no fouls for a high foot.

- clashes of heads resulting in both players down after a contested header

- ref warning players for tussling prior to a set piece

- ref changing their original decision (either by themself or after consulting assistant)

- not sure I've ever seen a low chip over a rushing out goalie who's gone/going to ground from a striker clean through, the only chips I've seen tend to be lofted ones when the goalie is still on his feet

Agree we've not seen any of these but do we really NEED the ones I've bolded? I feel like 1 and 3 (of those three) are pointless and 2 comes with the nature of being a game, with the ability to accurately determine where the free kick is.

Yep never seen advantage played.

I've never seen a single handball.

I may vaguely remember matches being abandoned (for snow etc) back in the old CM2 days where Clive Tyldsley would commentate. But, I might also be making this up. I can't be sure.

Things I've never seen that happen IRL:

A penalty awarded for goalkeeper foul (sliding out, happens a LOT irl)

Handball (anywhere)

Ball accidentally hitting the ref

Refs playing advantage

"5th/6th" officials behind goals in European games

Ballboys

I'd say this is exactly what I "miss" the most. Keepers generally never seem to foul anyone. Ever.

Handballs I've seen generally though

Agree we've not seen any of these but do we really NEED the ones I've bolded? I feel like 1 and 3 (of those three) are pointless and 2 comes with the nature of being a game, with the ability to accurately determine where the free kick is.

Wasn't necessarily saying we need them, though I think there is an argument that even some seemingly irrelevant things add to the depth of immersion especially if they don't take more time (you definitely wouldn't want to see them in highlights for instance).

In the case of the second one - stealing yards at free kicks - just because the game has the ability to accurately determine where free kicks are taken, doesn't mean it should. You could make the same argument to say we shouldn't have mistaken offside decisions in the game. Stealing yards at free kicks (& throws) either deliberately or inadvertently will often make free kicks more dangerous and IMO should be in the game really since it happens routinely IRL. Perhaps the frequency in game would vary with player mentality and ref strictness.

Actual correct implementation of injury time - I mean e.g. if there are 2 minutes of injury time, full time ALWAYS occurs spot on 92.00, no matter what is happening on the pitch.

Yeah I love it when I make my final push into the final third at 92:01 and the ref blows for FT

I get this one.

Winger puts in a cross that goes in the net, always dissallowed because of a player in the keepers face trying to get on the end of said cross iss fouling the keeper

however every other instance of a player being that close to the keeper nothing happens.

Perhaps the frequency in game would vary with player mentality and ref strictness.

This could be interesting, if they could code the frequency of this according to these two attributes. Potential there for next year?

1. Not seen personally.

2. I've had one occasion where a penalty was awarded, the player gave the penalty received a second yellow and was sent off. Another player then received a yellow card, for what I can only assume was arguing with the referee. I've also had a goalkeeper carded before for arguing with officials.

3. My FBs usually get about 10 POMs per season, and my GK gets one or two. It depends on your formation really... if you have them in attacking roles, they're no different than AM LR.

4. On the odd occasion.

5. Nope.

1) A handball decision for a penalty or free kick.

Yes, a few times actually, deliberate handballs that usually led to red cards.

2) A yellow or red card for violent conduct (not a bad tackle).

I've seen yellow/red cards for arguing, but not really for violence.

3) A fullback or goalkeeper awarded MOM.

Fullback quite often, goalkeeper not so much. Usually when goalkeepers do get man of the match, they have a rating of at least 9.

4) A free kick touched to another player before a shot.

I've had free kicks bounce off a wall, the goalkeeper dives anyways, so the freekick taker just taps it into an empty net.

5) An abandoned match.

Nope.

Just got a 9.8 MOTM rating for my fullback (Russell Martin), but what did happen in that game that I am pretty sure I have never seen before (and I can't recall it ever IRL either), he got a hat-trick (he doesn't take any set pieces).

Sorry if this has been posted already, but one thing that's never happened for me in FM14 is a striker/forward beating the goalkeeper to the ball. The keeper invariably catches the ball a split second before the forward reaches him and the forward will then pull up, I've never seen a challenge on a keeper either, for that matter. I've seen this (pulling up) in friendlies, but generally in a competitive match, the striker would be at least a bit more competitive!

Just had my keeper sent off twice for handling the ball outside the box in the same season :(

I've had it once... in the FA cup final. I don't put a keeper on the bench in cup games but I probably should have as Charlie Austin does not make a good GK

In the 6 versions of FM I have played I have never, ever seen a deflected goal from distance - this doesn't count the usual goalmouth scrambles, mind. Am I just unlucky or is this something that SI should add to the match engine ?

How about this? One of your key player scores a goal in the dying seconds of a match, removes his shirt in celebration, gets a yellow and he's going to sit out the next crunch match against one of the Big 5 for reaching the cards limit. Anyone seen shirt removing celebration? Haha ... unless the player got a six pack as good as CR7 :D

I've just seem something which may be incredibly rare (I've certainly never seen it before on FM).

Basically my old club legend of a striker is having an Indian summer and he's lurking menacingly; the goalkeeper comes out and gathers it perfectly fine though but then rolls the ball as if to kick it, but gifts it straight to my club legend by rolling it out too far -- he's beaten in the tackle and my elderly legend puts it into the net to win us the game...

Has anyone seen players, either own team or opposing team, taking the ball to the corner flags to run down the clock towards the end of the match?

I hadn't seen this, but ever since you posted this it has been on my mind.

The reason that I hadn't seen it, (and I speak only for myself here), is that the tactical instructions I had given weren't telling the players to do that.

I have been experimenting though, but there is actually quite a lot of "tweaking" required" (or of course a pre-set time-wasting tactic). :cool:

1. Team Mentality must be on Defensive or Contain. (Only one of these works by the way).

2. Fluidity has to be considered too. When you have decided upon your roles and duties out wide, how is that going to affect fluidity? Are you going to ignore step 1 of the 12 step guide, (or maybe it doesn't count because what you are trying to do is so different).

3. Do you need to change your other roles or even your formation? Wingbacks for example would make this a big no-no. 2 forwards would make it harder, (you want to isolate the wide player so there isn't an easy out ball).

4. If you have Attacking central midfielders, then have a think about what their role is and their instructions are. What do you expect them to do when your wide player is trying to isolate himself in the corner, (because that's what you are trying to create). Do you keep the attacking midfielder away and how? Do you remove him from the picture completely and what other impacts will that action have? How is that going to impact on getting the ball to the wide player into the corner anyway?

5. Team Instruction Waste Time must be selected.

6. Your wide players actually have to be told to do the following, (so the ideally following options need to be selected). Hold up ball. Shoot less often. Run wide with the ball. Pass it shorter. Fewer risky passes. Cross less often. Stay wider.

7. Of the 15 different Roles-Duties in the wide positions, none of them meet all the instructions mentioned above. Only 2 allow you to "cross less often", (which is key), and both of those also have "cuts inside with the ball" already active. It's a trade-off between those Role-Duties and others, (although I would say that "cross less often" trumps the other instructions).

8. You don't want your supporting players on that side, (in my case full-backs), to be too attacking. If they are then what happens is that they will overlap, (make sure that isn't an instruction), or even just provide back-up that allows the wide player to just pop the ball back, (and then you have the new problem of the full-back crossing which is another whole load of instructions but let's not go into that).

9. Forgot to mention that you Team Instructions obviously play a part. Retain possession. Shorter passing. Run at defence. Exploit the flanks. Play wider. Drop Deeper.

Now I am no tactical expert, (far far far from it). But I found that this to be reasonable. Whether you would want to do it when there are other more effective options, (in my opinion), is up to you, but just like most things in the game, you actually have to give the instructions in order to see something happen.

I hadn't seen this, but ever since you posted this it has been on my mind. ........Now I am no tactical expert, (far far far from it). But I found that this to be reasonable. Whether you would want to do it when there are other more effective options, (in my opinion), is up to you, but just like most things in the game, you actually have to give the instructions in order to see something happen.

Thanks Jimbo. You probably have a valid point here, but I have not tried it either. Someone above mentioned he had seen it, I mean taking the ball to the corner flag, though he didn't mention it was his own team or the AI's :rolleyes:

I have seen Two Players sent off at the restart for mouthing off at refs and linesman after a goals been scored.

Have seen handballs especially by GK's who misjudge a slide of of the area.

My Dover RB won so many MOM's he was named Player of the season.

I have seen players run to the corner and waste time and Iv'e also seen the ball rebound off the flag pole as if it's made of steel.

I've never seen a player booked for taking their shirt off which happens every now and then in real life. Has anyone ever seen a foul throw on the game? I've seen a couple given this season in real life games I've been too.

Archived