Football Manager Classic Vita FEEDBACK THREAD

I am beginning to lose patience with the touchscreen when I expected it would just come natural and grow on me a few hours ago. Do you HAVE to use the touchscreen? Is there not a feature to bang a little mouse on the screen and use it with the little joystick? After all, the title is called Classic...

Hi what's exactly your issue with the touchscreen is it not responsive or something??as I am picking up the game tomorrow I'm interested in the problem as it was my concern from the beginning.thanks.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sony! Sony came in to see us and said “what do we have to do to get you to bring Football Manager to PlayStation?” I very flippantly would have said “Give us a platform that can handle it, and doesn’t need to be controlled by a joypad”. He pulled out his Vita and said “Here you go. Next?”

:lol: Brilliant.

After reading the full interview with Miles, it seems that the speed issue is mostly to do with having all leagues possible loaded. Tbh, I don't particularly see an issue in having less leagues loaded. Even when I play "full-fat" on the PC, I only load the country I play in. Not too fussed about huge player databases tbh.

I guess it's more of an issue if you fancy a journeyman save, but I'd imagine the top two divisions of 3 different leagues is plenty of bouncing about to do, and probably close to the midrange of speeds. I know I'll be quite happy loading only the country I'm playing in, if I want to start in a lower division, or just the three top leagues(maybe even less), if I'm planning on starting with a bigger club and staying there.

Hi what's exactly your issue with the touchscreen is it not responsive or something??as I am picking up the game tomorrow I'm interested in the problem as it was my concern from the beginning.thanks.

It is just all too much. The beauty of FM has always been its simplicity and it's ease of use. The touchscreen whilst making it contemporary makes it confusing and tiresome. I really don't like it. SI really must bring out a download/update/patch for this to simply stick a little mouse or curser on the screen in order to make it flow better. 75 mins in making a quick sub/tactical change shouldn't require that much fiddling. I plead with SI to look into this because that aside it is genuinely quality.

It is just all too much. The beauty of FM has always been its simplicity and it's ease of use. The touchscreen whilst making it contemporary makes it confusing and tiresome. I really don't like it. SI really must bring out a download/update/patch for this to simply stick a little mouse or curser on the screen in order to make it flow better. 75 mins in making a quick sub/tactical change shouldn't require that much fiddling. I plead with SI to look into this because that aside it is genuinely quality.

ok cheers thanks for views and reply i agree with you about its simplicity and ease of use etc,i think ill take my chances tomorrow and pick it up......so as it stands is this a gamebreaker for you if si has no plans for updates patches?thanks in advance.

Miles said on his playstation blog that a number of issues had become apparent after the game had been submitted, and an update would be available quickly as after care toward customer purchases was important to SI, the update might address some problems/irritations mentioned here

ok cheers thanks for views and reply i agree with you about its simplicity and ease of use etc,i think ill take my chances tomorrow and pick it up......so as it stands is this a gamebreaker for you if si has no plans for updates patches?thanks in advance.

Game breaker? Possibly, but I am not going to throw my toys out of the pram just yet especially if in the hope SI can do something about this.

The patch should be live already. It hasn't been announced as the game isn't even officially out yet! It does not add a mouse pointer though.

Re touchscreen use. It is certainly very different to the mouse and keyboard on PC, and can be jarring to use to start with as it's unfamiliar control for a familiar game. That said, once you've given it time to adjust, it certainly becomes more natural and easy to use. The majority of feedback I've seen so far (not just from here) also matches that. I'd also recommend you check out the manual for the included button controls etc

The patch should be live already. It hasn't been announced as the game isn't even officially out yet! It does not add a mouse pointer though.

Re touchscreen use. It is certainly very different to the mouse and keyboard on PC, and can be jarring to use to start with as it's unfamiliar control for a familiar game. That said, once you've given it time to adjust, it certainly becomes more natural and easy to use. The majority of feedback I've seen so far (not just from here) also matches that. I'd also recommend you check out the manual for the included button controls etc

Yeah I got the update earlier. I agree about the touchscreen becoming second nature , I was completely lost to start with but now i'm whizzing through the menus like a pro :). Brilliant game , I can't stop playing it

Are there any plans/can you see a potential mouse pointer being implemented?

I have moved across a save from Mac which worked great. Early thoughts are I like the layout but couple of problems I am finding which I will list.

1. Why before every game does it save even when I don't have auto save set up and once game finishes does it load up as if it's loading the game?

2. The match day feels like a chore. I have it on key highlights only and it takes ages. This is a disappointment to me as did expect it to be quicker.

3. In general the game seems to run on a delay when clicking. I have downloaded the update. Am I correct in assuming this is because I have 3 big leagues loaded?

Thanks

No problem reading the text for me. About to start a new league to see if I can get it running any quicker.

The league I moved over seems like it could be a problem with speed as I selected what I have and it was showing estimated game speed as half a star out of 5. Can anyone tell me if that would slow down the match day? Bit disappointed that loading 3 leagues all divisions goes to half a star.

No problem reading the text for me. About to start a new league to see if I can get it running any quicker.

The league I moved over seems like it could be a problem with speed as I selected what I have and it was showing estimated game speed as half a star out of 5. Can anyone tell me if that would slow down the match day? Bit disappointed that loading 3 leagues all divisions goes to half a star.

I can answer my own question. The match day is exactly the same with less leagues loaded and more stars for quickness of game. I am disappointed as no exaggeration it's taking 10 minutes to go through a match with key highlights. Time goes up every 15 seconds. Tried commentary only and that was the same. The experience as a whole is great but it falls down on match day. Before the 10 minute match it's a good 2 minute wait whilst it saves before every match. I am gutted it's so slow because I had visions of playing through my hour lunches at work but with the match day as it is I would be lucky to get through 3 matches.

I would say will a patch make it any quicker but the fact the game has to save before every match I would imagine we are stuck with it which could be a game breaker for me. I want to love this game and them to continue making but not if the match day stays as it is :(

Trophies don't sync with server.

I have unlocked 9 trophies on my vita yet they don't show up on PSN or my card yet.

Hopefully that is because today is release day and it will happen today????

I can answer my own question. The match day is exactly the same with less leagues loaded and more stars for quickness of game. I am disappointed as no exaggeration it's taking 10 minutes to go through a match with key highlights. Time goes up every 15 seconds. Tried commentary only and that was the same. The experience as a whole is great but it falls down on match day. Before the 10 minute match it's a good 2 minute wait whilst it saves before every match. I am gutted it's so slow because I had visions of playing through my hour lunches at work but with the match day as it is I would be lucky to get through 3 matches.

I would say will a patch make it any quicker but the fact the game has to save before every match I would imagine we are stuck with it which could be a game breaker for me. I want to love this game and them to continue making but not if the match day stays as it is :(

Is autosave set to "on" in your preferences?

I was going to purchase the game via psn today. Yesterday on the sony psn site it was saying the game would be £29.99, when I went to buy the game it was £34.99 or £31.49/99 for ps+. im picking it up from argos now for 29.99 instead.

£24.85 on Amazon if you can be bothered to wait for the sake of a fiver.

Just loaded up my first cross save from PC to Vita, pretty impressed so far, controls will take some getting used but should be ok.

One thing that I have noticed is that my tactic from the PC has come across with completely different roles, anyone noticed this or has your tactics come across from PC to Vita ok?

Different people like different elements of the game.

Some people just like to concentrate on squad building, and aren't bothered by the matches at all.

Not my way of playing, but each to their own!

That would be me :D it's a disappointment considering that my commute time is short... I was 100% sure about getting the PS Vita bundle, now I have to think about it.

Hi Aaron,

Just a few notes that I believe it would be great to implement on a future update:

1- The ball is too small... on a 3D match view, can hardly see it. could you make it bigger as in 2D Classic?

2- In 2D Classic view mode, I can not see the goal or the nets.

Apart from the rest is a wonderful replica of the FMC for Computers, which I only have to congratulate you guys once more!

Honestly believe that if this same game comes for IOS next season it will a blockbuster. it fits much better on a iPad than on a Vita.

Wonderful game for easter season and sonner for summer time! Much better that being set in front of a pc or laptop...

thanks

Is there anyway of getting Logos/Face packs/Name changes, would be such a shame if not because it makes it so much more realistic, I know it isn't possible now but does anyone know if someones working on it?

Not possible. Aaron confirmed that as Vita is a "closed" system, nothing can be shoehorned in.

How do you select multiple items? Ie. select several players to add to a shortlist? Or select a selection of players to promote to seniors/relegate to reserves? Etc.

BUMP

will someone please for my sanity answer this?

I am slowly but surely getting put off a little. It is very frustrating because it just looks so beautiful on that Vita, but the touchscreen is driving me mad. SI MUST MUST put a little mouse curser so we can play the old fashioned (and ultimately) better way.

Hi Aaron,

Just a few notes that I believe it would be great to implement on a future update:

1- The ball is too small... on a 3D match view, can hardly see it. could you make it bigger as in 2D Classic?

2- In 2D Classic view mode, I can not see the goal or the nets.

Apart from the rest is a wonderful replica of the FMC for Computers, which I only have to congratulate you guys once more!

Honestly believe that if this same game comes for IOS next season it will a blockbuster. it fits much better on a iPad than on a Vita.

Wonderful game for easter season and sonner for summer time! Much better that being set in front of a pc or laptop...

thanks

Vita is far more powerful theIOS and the gamne as it is will not be ported to an ipad.

Think i'm going to give this a miss for now. The feedback isn't great. I'd be paying essentially £200 for this one game and it doesn't sound anywhere near worth it. However if vita 15 does arrive i'll have another think.

Same here . Reality setting in.

I'm enjoying it so far. Actually reading the instructions to see the controls, in particular Left D-Pad to Go Back and that the analogue sticks scroll through the lists on either side of the screen made a big difference. I suppose the next step would be for each item on the list to be highlighted as you scroll over it and allow us to hit X to select would be even better.

Anyone know how I add a player in a transfer negotiation?

First Impressions

I have started a lower level English league game with the maximum amount of leagues running - at 1/2 star speed - this is i assume making the processing between games slower - but its not too bad for me. - Played through Pre-season and about 10 league games now.

Pros

*Can secretly play on my desk at work a fairy fully featured version of Football Manager Classic 2014 - this is the main pro of having a Vita version its portability, I have also managed to have a little play in bed just before sleep (no rude comments please)

*All the features i was expecting to find are there intact

*The menus all make sense and all information is there at your fingertips (a problem - see below) once you know where to look.

Cons

*The Touch Screen/Size of buttons - The game is very very heavily touchscreen based - I have average sized fingers for a man in his early thirties - however some of the narrow bars (especially at the top in games and players in the squad list) and options you are expected to touch with them are much too small - I have, despite being slow and deliberate with all touches, frequently selected the wrong option from the list/wrong player and had to go back and change. Maybe a thin stylus would help here .Also I find the analog sticks move the lists a little too fast.

I keep yearning to be able to select a list with finger and then scroll through using the D-pad and buttons which are so far for me mostly redundant. That being said eventually you can get to where you want to get to but it is by no means always quick and accurate and can be frustrating. Moving players with the L button is also rather hit and miss sometimes it seems to work perfectly at times and at others I am selecting the player entering the profile/position screen and not moving.

Selecting players and putting them into the correct position on the pitch should be easy and intuitive however this is where i have to be the most slow and deliberate.

*Clunky - I have quite a fast pc so i may just be used to things moving along a little quicker and understand the limitations of the vita. There is just a very slight delay in clicking everything that added with the mild inaccuracy of the touchscreen/finger size leads me to thinking that some of the time i have not pressed the button when in fact its just loading. Moving players around and tactic screen is a little slow and clunky

Other Comments

Font size - Perfectly acceptable for me cant say have any complaints here.

Match Speed - I quite like to play slowly but it does sometimes trickle between highlights even on maximum match speed. It moves at 15 seconds increments and matches take about 10 minutes with Key highlights and match screen faffing. Also the game saves just before every match this adds about a minute.

3d Engine - players and ball are quite small - ideal for highlights but unlike the pc version i am using the 2d engine on Vita which is fine.

Little niggles

- The Camera control buttons obscure the final lower part of the pitch when using 2d screen so you cant see.

- The drop down bars on match screen for shouts/tactics are so small they are very tricky to push without hitting the big "R" button and hiding them again

- Would rather swap the action bars on the match info screen between highlights for something else

- No live league updates? despite being option there it is never active

So there we go - after my first few hours play this is what i think

Overall there's a good game in there - just a few frustrations with controls that can hopefully be ironed out in an update!

Ok, here are my thoughts on FMC Vita

First lets get this control scheme out of the way, I personally think it's alright. Using the R trigger to bring down a menu works well and while I do miss things on occasion on the touch screen, it's something I do on FMH as well. I prefer the method used to what we originally had on the PSP version. I would not say no to a mouse pointer, perhaps use the left stick as a way of controlling the mouse and the right stick to scroll menus would work. But overall it's not a deal breaker for me.

Now lets talk about the game, The text is a tad small but overall I think it does a good job of fitting things on the smaller Vita screen. Game speed is a little on the slow side, processing takes some time but to be fair this is to be expected and it's not that bad. Many of us have decent PC's running FM which are much more powerful than what the Vita is capable of. To be honest the fact that they managed to get this game running on the Vita is a real technical achievement. Things like player history are included too.

The match engine is really, really good in my opinion. it looks great players move just as well as on PC, but at lower FPS which does not concern me. Animations look great too. I don't find the length of the match too long either compared to PC, I tend to stick to extended or Key highlights and move the in between slider to max. So between highlights it moves a bit faster. Overall I'd say a match takes around 4-5 minutes which is fine by me. It gives me enough time to tweak things without going too fast.

For some people who love to tweak tactics and sign many players in pre-season etc but are not keen on doing this on the Vita, cross save is a really good option. While I don't feel the need to, it would be possible to prepare for upcoming seasons, where lots of transfer activity is going on by doing all this on PC then once the season starts switching back over to the Vita. Once you get a season up and running, everything really seems to flow nicely just like on PC.

The one thing that does bug me are the missing faces and logos on some leagues like the Premier League, I wouldn't mind if I had to use my photo folder on Vita for just FM images. But I have a feeling this won't happen at least for now.

So yeah overall I'm going to give FMC a solid 8/10 I won't say 9 because nothing is perfect and I'm really hopeful that this is the first of many FM games on the Vita. If FMC15 does indeed come out, I'll expect a little extra polish and optimisation, with maybe a few new features but I would purchase it for sure. FMC2014 is a really good game and I highly recommend it to fans. I don't know if it would be worth spending £200 on a console with just the game. But if you already have the Vita It's a no brainer. Plus if more people buy this game then the chances of us getting a better more improved game in the future is more of a possibility.

Hope this helps a few people sitting on the fence.

As for the touchscreen problems... can maybe use something like the stylus so it makes it easier.

I knew my Note 3 stylus could come in handy for something!!

Seriously if that works, brilliant idea mate, sounds obvious when you think about it! Will try later...

Also could somebody confirm what the patch improves?

Archived