Silk & Steel - The Quickening......... exclusively for 14.3

I've been running these two 'quickening' tactics with Crystal Palace in the 2014-15 season, I've made some decent acquisitions but really I'm only a solid lower end prem side at best in terms of personnel but its January now and I'm still in the Euro cup (qualified through the capital one cup), still in the current capital one cup and currently 8th in the prem with 31pts.

I do seem to be very Jekyl and Hyde though... can be winning 5-0 one week, losing 5-0 the next and then go 3 games with 0-0 draws... i'm also finding that there doesnt seem to be much of a pattern as to who i beat and who gets beaten by me in terms of quality of opposition. It's a rollercoaster but at the moment the ups are better than the downs.

What i would say is that the teams that attack from deep in their midfields (like we do) and those with fast counter attacking play are the ones i get nobbled by. The centre backs seem to step out far too often, perhaps it's just bad decision making, i've got Caulker and Dann, but i think they are encouraged to step out and break up the play because the 2 attacking mids leave too much space in front of the back 4.

What is currently working really well for me is running the newer formation with the DM DLP but with a counter attacking mentality, i havent done anything else to the tactic aside from change the mentality.

All of that said we are playing some really pretty stuff at times and scoring some cracking team goals.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been running these two 'quickening' tactics with Crystal Palace in the 2014-15 season, I've made some decent acquisitions but really I'm only a solid lower end prem side at best in terms of personnel but its January now and I'm still in the Euro cup (qualified through the capital one cup), still in the current capital one cup and currently 8th in the prem with 31pts.

I do seem to be very Jekyl and Hyde though... can be winning 5-0 one week, losing 5-0 the next and then go 3 games with 0-0 draws... i'm also finding that there doesnt seem to be much of a pattern as to who i beat and who gets beaten by me in terms of quality of opposition. It's a rollercoaster but at the moment the ups are better than the downs.

What i would say is that the teams that attack from deep in their midfields (like we do) and those with fast counter attacking play are the ones i get nobbled by. The centre backs seem to step out far too often, perhaps it's just bad decision making, i've got Caulker and Dann, but i think they are encouraged to step out and break up the play because the 2 attacking mids leave too much space in front of the back 4.

What is currently working really well for me is running the newer formation with the DM DLP but with a counter attacking mentality, i havent done anything else to the tactic aside from change the mentality.

All of that said we are playing some really pretty stuff at times and scoring some cracking team goals.

Its definately better with retain possession, shorter passing and hassle opponents on in my opinion.

(front post tactic has been update to include this)

i would also remove 'swap wide players' as my inside forwards started getting low ratings and i think it must be this.

thanks for the feedback. :brock:

I have been thinking about the 41311 I used in Rainmaker v3 with the F9/Shadow Striker combo.

Right, it's about time i joined your thread as i've been using your tactics since the original S&S and you're basically the reason i've enjoyed FM 2014 so much, so firstly i'd like to thank you for your amazing effort and dedication. :)

Regarding the quote i've highlighted... I've had fantastic success with Rainmaker v3 with my admittedly very good Arsenal team. The only thing i changed with that tactic was adding the 'play wider' team instruction. I average just over 3 goals a game and am conceding very few. I score goals with a good variety of positions. Both the F9 and SS are scoring more than their fair share and my CM/a is on fire as well (either Wilshire or a young regen Alex) with the B2B players chipping in a fair few themselves. I've had no problems with one on ones since 14.3..scoring at least 60% of them.

I'll post up some pics of stats once i finish the season. I cant see me moving away from that tactic unless you come up with an improved version of that formation tbh. It's by far the best tactic i've used so far. I was using S&S in a few potentially tough games but found that i was put under a lot more pressure from other big teams when using it and conceded a lot of possession to them. I inevitably ended up switching back to Rainmaker 3 at half time in those games and retook control of them.

RM v3 seems to work fantastically well if you have the players for it, so as long as I'm still with Arsenal or another top team that's the formation i'll be sticking with, unless you manage to improve on it of course ;)

So, thanks again for your work. RMv3 has been a revelation.

Its definately better with retain possession, shorter passing and hassle opponents on in my opinion.

(front post tactic has been update to include this)

i would also remove 'swap wide players' as my inside forwards started getting low ratings and i think it must be this.

thanks for the feedback. :brock:

After trying some of my own tactics again, i have to agree on shorter passing and hassle. It seems that hassle is the only way to go, if you want to win the ball and prevent opponents running around your defence.

I still don't agree on using retain for full time ;) It does help to control the game for sure, but i still believe it also harms attack building (slowing it down) at the same time. Better suited for protecting lead.

However, i trust you know better and i am sure you will come up with an excellent tactic. In the mean time i will continue playing around with my own tactics and hope to come up with something decent. I currently have cautious, attacking and "more attacking" on the works.

Btw, I think it's excellent that you are using other team than Chelsea for testing. Top 4 teams are probably too good to really bring out weaknesses in a tactic.

Right, it's about time i joined your thread as i've been using your tactics since the original S&S and you're basically the reason i've enjoyed FM 2014 so much, so firstly i'd like to thank you for your amazing effort and dedication. :)

Regarding the quote i've highlighted... I've had fantastic success with Rainmaker v3 with my admittedly very good Arsenal team. The only thing i changed with that tactic was adding the 'play wider' team instruction. I average just over 3 goals a game and am conceding very few. I score goals with a good variety of positions. Both the F9 and SS are scoring more than their fair share and my CM/a is on fire as well (either Wilshire or a young regen Alex) with the B2B players chipping in a fair few themselves. I've had no problems with one on ones since 14.3..scoring at least 60% of them.

I'll post up some pics of stats once i finish the season. I cant see me moving away from that tactic unless you come up with an improved version of that formation tbh. It's by far the best tactic i've used so far. I was using S&S in a few potentially tough games but found that i was put under a lot more pressure from other big teams when using it and conceded a lot of possession to them. I inevitably ended up switching back to Rainmaker 3 at half time in those games and retook control of them.

RM v3 seems to work fantastically well if you have the players for it, so as long as I'm still with Arsenal or another top team that's the formation i'll be sticking with, unless you manage to improve on it of course ;)

So, thanks again for your work. RMv3 has been a revelation.

Thanks for your comments.

Rainmaker v3 can certainly blow teams away when you have strong players, it did so in my Chelsea test.

However, it doesn't, as i like to say 'bridge the attribute gap'. In other words someone with a mid level, lower level team will run into difficulties when faced with superior opponents.

I am after the tactic which works for teams of all levels, that is my goal.

Thanks for posting though and i'd be interested to see your results :brock:

However, it doesn't, as i like to say 'bridge the attribute gap'. In other words someone with a mid level, lower level team will run into difficulties when faced with superior opponents.

I am after the tactic which works for teams of all levels, that is my goal.

I'm still not convinced that a single tactic is going to cover all the bases so to speak. I did love your two pronged approach of two tactics based on the same formation but with different approaches when using mid/lower level teams. RM2 in combination with S&S 2 brought me great success whilst i was working my way up with Exeter City and Ipswich. I admire your quest for perfection though :D Good luck. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Whilst on the test game with Rangers I have switched to the Quickening "a" tactic and the game I switched was my worst result in the league and a 2-2 draw.

I have honestly got to say that in my honest opinion this might just be there or there about if I am honest. The comments that I have is saying that the team success is all based on defence. In 20 games I have only conceded 6.

The league form has been brilliant played 14 won 13 drew 1 lost 0. Goals for 33 and against 3. Currently 20 points clear of second. The key to this is the inside forwards... The false 9 is just to quiet and I would be lost without the inside forwards.

I know this is just Rangers in a weak division and this should be how it goes but the movement has been spot on and the passing and to be fair in the league when someone has got a break the defenders have done their job and got back and defended.

I think you are onto something quite strong here.

I'm not convinced about all these 14.3 tactics using wingers, they may work fine with the bigger teams that have world class players on the wings but I've found that despite scoring a few more goals my Ebbsfleet team gets utterly torn apart. I'm fairly happy with S&S 2, it's got my squad from League 2 where my own tactical nous found it's limits, and into the Championship where I'm sitting mid table with a squad containing several players that have absolutely no right to be there. I occasionally get beaten by a goal or two after missing a bucket load of ccc's but for the most part the team are massively over achieving. I've played around with the wingplay formations (S&S 3 and Steatons 'invincible') and find that games become a goal frenzy as you're CB's constantly end up isolated. I wouldn't be surprised if an incarnation of 442 turns out the be 14.3's wonder tactic.

Mr U Rosler, I'm still using your "old" tactics (S&S V2 and Rainmaker V3) with the tweaks mentioned by the user who's playing with Rimini. (forgot his nickname)

Well, I'm Sunderland, in my first season I've finished 7th in the league using S&S away and at home against much stronger opposition while I used Rainmaker V3 at home when favourites (in cups even away from home when against lower league opposition) or in case I fell behind deep in the second half.

I got into the semis of the FA cup and lost the League cup final on penalties.

Not bad for a team predicted to be relegated. Even more when you know I didn't buy a single player as I've opted to spend my cash on releasing a few foreign players + staff members as I never liked to play in any particular country with almost no homegrown-players. Instead I gave a chance to the best youngsters among experienced players like Brown, O'Shea, Cattermole, Fletcher and Westwood.

So, my team was, in terms of stats, far from perfect for this tactics and still it performed above all expectations.

I know you're in a search for a good 14.3-tactic but in my very humble opinion they already exist. ;)

Anyway, good luck in your search, big thanks for ALL the efforts you put in these tactics and when you have found a tactic ready to be used I'll play with it but until then to me S&S V2 and Rainmaker V3 are the best 14.3-tactics currently available. (+ the Rimini-tweaks)

I've tested the most common-ones in the meantime and I can say not one of the others gave me the same satisfying results as the 2 I've mentioned who were created by you. So, again thanks. :)

I was just at the end of my third season playing at Hayes & Yeading in the Skrill Premier when a new tactic to replace Silk & Steel (S&Sv2) was mentioned.

Pre-14.3 S&Sv2 had worked a miracle with my squad. Post 14.3 we were dreadful. That's not an indictment of your tactic. S&Sv2 got us to the Skrill Premier and kept us there the first year even though we had a vastly inferior squad. But post-14.3 the only thing that was going to save us was a huge cash infusion.

I played the first 20 games of my fourth season using S&Sv2. We were going to be relegated, no question. We were conceding just over 2.5 goals a game while scoring less then 0.9 a game.

When Silk & Steel - The Quickening (S&STQ) was released I reloaded my save from the beginning of the year and tried again. I played 13 games before stopping. In the final third we looked much more dangerous, racking up a fair number of clear-cut chances. But we scored less then 0.5 goals a game while conceding 3.1 goal a game. The space in-between our central defenders was a free-fire zone for opponents. If we’d lost a player to a red card, I’d have considered pulling a CD, at least then the Black Hole between the CD’s would be gone. I stopped playing just before being fired.

The Quickening Balanced (TQB) has given me hope. Reloaded again and played 10 games. Clear-cut chances dropped a fraction from S&STQ but the goals a game jumped to 1.9 a game. We are conceding about 2.5 a game, but these are numbers I can make work. Relegation is out of the question.

Today I tried The Quickening Balanced A (TQBA). I’ve only gotten 12 games into the season, but I’m sure this is the tactic I will keep. We are scoring almost 3 goals a game, while conceding less then 1 a game. The Black Hole between the central defenders has disappeared. We are dangerous in the final third and at least one of our Inside Forwards has scored in every game we’ve played. We’re not going to get promoted this season, but it’s way more likely to happen then us getting relegated.

I should mention two things about my “testing”. 1) Only S&Sv2 was anywhere near fluid for these games (having been used for the prior two seasons). 2) Since my squad was built for S&Sv2, we had no true Inside Forwards in the squad (best was our CM/A who rated out at 1.5 stars by my assistant manager).

Not a large test set by any stretch of the imagination, but I offer these as a glimpse of what a lower league team might expect to see using these tactics.

Finally, a shout out to Mr U Rosler for all the work developing these tactics. I’ve followed these threads religiously for the past few months and I’ve learned a lot. Thank you!

Mr U Rosler, I'm still using your "old" tactics (S&S V2 and Rainmaker V3) with the tweaks mentioned by the user who's playing with Rimini. (forgot his nickname)

That's me! And I second your post.

§ Rainmaker v3, but anchorman instead of Regista (being favourite)

§ S&S_v2, but no Retain Posession (being underdog)

This combo is working perfectly fine for me in 14.3.

I am following this thread because I'm a fan of Rosler's work and want to contribute as much as I can. I have no intention of switching to the Quickening anytime soon.

New tactic is looking dominant at the moment.

NAFt9sP.png

This is how you deal with Man United. Their longshots vs our Clear Cut Chances.

kuuwM9i.png

Lallana hasn't kicked a ball yet getting injured for 3 months in pre-season, Rodriguiz and lambert have also missed a lot of games. Looking forward to getting them all fit and in the team at the same time.

Obviously we're not going to win the league but i want to have a good go at qualifying for the champions league.

NAFt9sP.png

kuuwM9i.png

Lallana hasn't kicked a ball yet getting injured for 3 months in pre-season, Rodriguiz and lambert have also missed a lot of games. Looking forward to getting them all fit and in the team at the same time.

Obviously we're not going to win the league but i want to have a good go at qualifying for the champions league.

Which tactic mate?

NAFt9sP.png

kuuwM9i.png

Looks good Mr R - looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Just for some feedback (although nothing too indepth as I don't have a brain as tactically attuned as yours and others I'm afraid!) - I've started up a new save alongside my Longterm Career save (where, for info, I have finished off my promotion season with Villa by winning the FA Cup, beating Chelsea on pens in the final - using RM3). Anyhow, for the new game I'm using Peterborough in L1, and the latest version of Quickening that you uploaded yesterday. To date I have played 11 matches (8 friendlies, 3 competitive), record is won 9, drawn 1, lost 1, scored 32 (4 in the competitive games, 28 in pre-season), conceded 4 (all of which were pre-season). Realise that's not a particularly balanced sample given the number of friendlies involved, but so far it seems to be working well. No real concerns over the defence thus far, but it is probably one of the strongest in the league (Michael Bostwick has been a favourite of mine since FM12)

Hope that may be of some use to you, however limited.

Looks good Mr R - looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Just for some feedback (although nothing too indepth as I don't have a brain as tactically attuned as yours and others I'm afraid!) - I've started up a new save alongside my Longterm Career save (where, for info, I have finished off my promotion season with Villa by winning the FA Cup, beating Chelsea on pens in the final - using RM3). Anyhow, for the new game I'm using Peterborough in L1, and the latest version of Quickening that you uploaded yesterday. To date I have played 11 matches (8 friendlies, 3 competitive), record is won 9, drawn 1, lost 1, scored 32 (4 in the competitive games, 28 in pre-season), conceded 4 (all of which were pre-season). Realise that's not a particularly balanced sample given the number of friendlies involved, but so far it seems to be working well. No real concerns over the defence thus far, but it is probably one of the strongest in the league (Michael Bostwick has been a favourite of mine since FM12)

Hope that may be of some use to you, however limited.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, i've found the updated version to be pretty good. My main concern with it is you are overly reliant on the Inside Forwards having a good game, if they are playing well its great to watch and you get good results, if one or both of them are off the whole tactic seems to break down.

This is something i've noticed on 14.3, its very hard to get consistent performances from anyone on the periphery of play i.e advanced strikers, AMR/AML. But when they get hot you can get on good run.

This is something i've addressed on the new tactic along with an extra defensive player.

Hi mate can you tell me what the best attributes for the IF positions are please? Apologies if I have missed this!!

You've not missed anything as i've not done the attributes yet as I'm not fully settled on the formation.

Inside forward I would look for....

Acceleration

Finishing

Passing

Crossing

Half a season completed with Southampton and still looking good.

Luke Shaw has been injured for the last 6 games and will still be out for another month. There isn't even another left back in the squad!

Performing miracles really.

Bl47AZr.png

Nice gap to 5th place now.

V7wl6K2.png

Expected nothing from the City game but a fully deserved win. Again our Clear Cut Chances vs their long shots.

7KwbzXS.png

Gonna take a break now but will try and finish the season tonight.

Looking good!

I think if you combine the different tactics that you have created in last few weeks, you could create a "set" to serve all teams at all levels.

Not sure if it's possible to have good results with every team, if using only one tactic, but your latest creations could serve all purposes if used right?

Looking good!

I think if you combine the different tactics that you have created in last few weeks, you could create a "set" to serve all teams at all levels.

Not sure if it's possible to have good results with every team, if using only one tactic, but your latest creations could serve all purposes if used right?

Think the one i'm currently testing with Southampton is the best of the bunch by a long way. Excellent balance between defence and attack.

As long as i finish the season with Southampton in Champions League position I will be happy it works with mid/low teams. I've not been fluking results they have been well deserved.

I then want to test it with a big team to see how it deals with 'parked defences'. Chelsea are my usual test team but as i actually support Man City i think I will indulge myself and test it with them as I haven't used them at all this year. for certain, pretty much every team that comes to the City of Manchester Stadium will be parking the bus.

If the 'vanilla' version is having difficulty breaking down teams it would be incredibly easy to 'up the ante' and make it more attacking, higher defensive line, attacking - very fluid mentality, play wider..... i dont think i'd even need to mess with the tempo.

then you'd have your classic home/away - favourite/underdog tactics set.

Think the one i'm currently testing with Southampton is the best of the bunch by a long way. Excellent balance between defence and attack.

As long as i finish the season with Southampton in Champions League position I will be happy it works with mid/low teams. I've not been fluking results they have been well deserved.

I then want to test it with a big team to see how it deals with 'parked defences'. Chelsea are my usual test team but as i actually support Man City i think I will indulge myself and test it with them as I haven't used them at all this year. for certain, pretty much every team that comes to the City of Manchester Stadium will be parking the bus.

If the 'vanilla' version is having difficulty breaking down teams it would be incredibly easy to 'up the ante' and make it more attacking, higher defensive line, attacking - very fluid mentality, play wider..... i dont think i'd even need to mess with the tempo.

then you'd have your classic home/away - favourite/underdog tactics set.

Sounds very good! Looking forward to what you have come up with!

I am also having some progress in my own tactics.

Managed to win AC Milan 4-2 on a pre-season friendly, using my underdog tactic. We actually controlled the match and thoroughly deserved to win. Not bad with a team that has 68k€ wage total :D

First match in Portuguese premiership we played at home against recently promoted team, so i went with my "favorite" tactic. We won 2-0, limited them to just one shot and even that one was from a free kick.

Next match we play EURO Cup (finished 5th last season) against Granada. That should give good indication about the tactics...

I've just won my first ever CL on FM14 with Fiorentina (2nd season). Played Chelsea in the final and we were 1-0 down at half time, even though we were by far the better team. 2nd half Gomez pops up with 2goals in the last 10 mins. Yay me! That was using the tweaked version.

Well done. That's a great achievement. I have tried this tactic with my Stockport save. S&Sv2 got me from Skrill north to The Championship and the new tactic is an utter car crash I'm afraid. Back to the old tried and tested and scrapheap for The Quickening for me! That's just the way it goes though.

Finished season with Southampton on the new tactic, very happy with that result. As usual, no transfers.

Gonna test it with the worst team in the division next, Crystal Palace. Then gonna try it with Man City.

oANZcSo.png

Ok, it seems you're on your way (again) to a cracking tactic. If it deliver with Palace I'm happy as I never ever play with top-sides but always with smaller clubs. My major satisfaction in this game is turning small clubs into trophy-winning machines. To write history that wasn't written before. :)

Finished season with Southampton on the new tactic, very happy with that result. As usual, no transfers.

Gonna test it with the worst team in the division next, Crystal Palace. Then gonna try it with Man City.

oANZcSo.png

Excellent results! How many goals did you conceed?? Also what is the formation?

3Cs3XJZ.png

VrBG9EH.png

Not massively prolific nor an amazing defence. Basically scored 2 goals a game and conceded 1. But was very consistent, lots of 1 goal victories.

If I can get palace into the top 15, then smash it with Man City i'll put the tactic up.

Not gonna give away the formation yet :brock:

Not massively prolific nor an amazing defence. Basically scored 2 goals a game and conceded 1. But was very consistent, lots of 1 goal victories.

If I can get palace into the top 15, then smash it with Man City i'll put the tactic up.

Not gonna give away the formation yet :brock:

Sounds like a solid tactic, hope it works well with Palace and City also.

I know you don't want to give away formation, but i hope it's close to the "good old one" :)

Thats pretty decent for Southampton, their defense is not super great so its not surprising you are conceding goals. Outside of Lovren, Shaw and Clyne the rest of the defenders dont really excel in the defense you normally field with your tactics with your defender depth non-existent. Also GK Boruc makes some of the most bonehead moves sometimes because of his super high eccentricity, sometimes you have the game in the bag and he runs out to midfield to field a kick.

Morning Uwe. Just won the Championship, got to the semi-final of the Carling and won the FA cup on penalties with Brighton using Rainmaker 2 and S+S (Fulcrum)2 in version 3. However, have always wanted a great tactic with wingers. So Im going to set up my first season with this.... altho little worried about your Palace comment (what ealse can you expecty... they are SCUM ;)))

To be fair, I'm on 6 points after 8 games and considering I've already played Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal I'm pretty happy.

Only Arsenal gave me a hammering.

Slightly easier run of games to come now, let's see if we start picking up points.

Morning Uwe. Just won the Championship, got to the semi-final of the Carling and won the FA cup on penalties with Brighton using Rainmaker 2 and S+S (Fulcrum)2 in version 3. However, have always wanted a great tactic with wingers. So Im going to set up my first season with this.... altho little worried about your Palace comment (what ealse can you expecty... they are SCUM ;)))

First season in the prem will be pushing it with anything but S&S v2 but interested to see how you get on,

How's Crystal palace testing going rosler?

Bloody hard work.

The awesome Southampton tactic is getting owned!

Testing with Palace takes everything to a new level, any tactical weakness is brutally exposed.

In future, i'm always going to take the worst team in the division to work with, its actually easier to make progress.

Might have something thats looking pretty good but time will tell.....

Can anyone give me any defensive tips? Haven't kept a clean sheet in months, still doing passably but could be so much better. I even 'upgraded' my defence since a fairly flukey league title last season... Should I just leave my match training as Defensive Positioning regardless of opposition?

Bloody hard work.

The awesome Southampton tactic is getting owned!

Testing with Palace takes everything to a new level, any tactical weakness is brutally exposed.

In future, i'm always going to take the worst team in the division to work with, its actually easier to make progress.

Might have something thats looking pretty good but time will tell.....

Are you on target to exceed season expectations?

Yeah, was 15th in December but wasn't happy with how the tactic was playing out so i've restarted season trying different approaches.

When i get something solid with Palace it should transfer well to bigger teams, maybe with a few tweaks.

Yeah, was 15th in December but wasn't happy with how the tactic was playing out so i've restarted season trying different approaches.

When i get something solid with Palace it should transfer well to bigger teams, maybe with a few tweaks.

Sounds good. I think I'm just slightly impatient. us thoroughly enjoying my Everton save until 14.3 came along and ruined it. Got the sack and couldn't find a job I liked.

I need to get my teeth into a new save but waiting on a settled tactic.

Very much appreciate your hard work Sir.

The old tactic worked pretty well with palace, i finished 9th using silk & steel before 14.3 and won the capital 1 cup. In roughly the same position in feb in the second season with the new tactic, though... still within touching distance of europe, although the euro cup has destroyed my squad so that's a mixed blessing

hi guys

been using wide wingers in FM for last 3 years and this 41221 is my favourite type of formation. Quick pointer about the wingers. Set them to defensive wingers on support! Anything else and theyre suspect defensively. Trust me on this one.

I know its doesn't look as cool as IF(attack duty) on the tactics but they are far more defensively accountable when set to defensive wingers. They don't need the stats for that role but setting them to that duty means offer more going back. I buy sexy attacking wingers but just set them to that role. Try that and tweak away with the individual player instructions.

If you insist on playing them with another role then drop them back into a flat 4. Leaving them wide, advanced and on anything but defensive winger will just leave your team exploitable at the edges and your full backs will be got at too easily.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out

Ok, feel like I'm making progress with the palace tactic.

The tendency with an outclassed team is to be quite defensive and rely on scraping enough narrow wins and draws to pick up points and stay up.

I've realized that is not the correct approach under 14.3 due to the inability of FB's and CB's to mark properly and intelligently pick up runners Even if you pack the penalty area they all go enmass to close down 1 player leaving massive holes for the rest of the attackers to run into.

Basically it's like watching the Keystone Cops' in action.

This can't really be addressed tactically and we are stuck with this until FM15.

So you cannot spend any sustained period defending in front of your penalty area as you will get picked off.

So I've ended up with quite an attacking set up with a lot of our defensive work taking place higher up the pitch and away from our own penalty area. This is achieved via formation and roles and not by having a high defensive line.

Additionally we are having good possession in dangerous areas so our opponents have their hands full dealing with our attacking threat.

The defensive winger tip has proved to be excellent advice with one 'caveat' which I wont go into yet.

Needs to run a full season with Palace but I think mid table will be achievable and as this is a pretty attacking tactic already it should transfer to big teams well.

At work now but will have a few hours tonight.

My thoughts are that if I can crack it with Palace we should be onto a winning tactic for teams of all levels.

Ok, feel like I'm making progress with the palace tactic.

The tendency with an outclassed team is to be quite defensive and rely on scraping enough narrow wins and draws to pick up points and stay up.

I've realized that is not the correct approach under 14.3 due to the inability of FB's and CB's to mark properly and intelligently pick up runners Even if you pack the penalty area they all go enmass to close down 1 player leaving massive holes for the rest of the attackers to run into.

Basically it's like watching the Keystone Cops' in action.

This can't really be addressed tactically and we are stuck with this until FM15.

So you cannot spend any sustained period defending in front of your penalty area as you will get picked off.

So I've ended up with quite an attacking set up with a lot of our defensive work taking place higher up the pitch and away from our own penalty area. This is achieved via formation and roles and not by having a high defensive line.

Additionally we are having good possession in dangerous areas so our opponents have their hands full dealing with our attacking threat.

The defensive winger tip has proved to be excellent advice with one 'caveat' which I wont go into yet.

Needs to run a full season with Palace but I think mid table will be achievable and as this is a pretty attacking tactic already it should transfer to big teams well.

At work now but will have a few hours tonight.

My thoughts are that if I can crack it with Palace we should be onto a winning tactic for teams of all levels.

Can we see some screenshots of your results?

Archived