FM 14 pressing

Can anyone tell me how to get my players to press the opposition?

I've used following team instructions: much higher line, get stuck in, hassle opponents play offside. All I see is my players standing off and I am sliced open by simple through balls because my players do not press.

What am I missing?

I second that question. Playing with a quite offensive setup and want/need my players to try and win the ball back immediately after losing it (similar to what Dortmund/Bayern do). Yet I can't get them to attack the player with the ball or close the passing lanes. Ultra high defensive line, attacking strategy, hassle opponents, get stuck in... I expect them to at least _try_ to win the ball. Instead, they are giving the opposition all the time in the world to sear the perfect through ball.

Oh, btw, I even instructed my midfielders (2x CM + 1x DM) to "press more".

This area of the match engine can't be borken since when I'm playing away every home team is playing great pressing high up the pitch, and my posession statistics are not helped by my f***ing goalkeeper hoofing every single ball upfield either.

I would really appreciate some advice to implement pressing. I'm not even asking for it to be successful, I just want to see the team try.

Pressing theoretically is linked to Strategy by default; the more Attacking the Strategy, the higher the default defensive line, so increased pressure is applied further up the pitch.

I've been doing this, and have specifically asked most players to Close Down More and Tackle Harder, and it generally has the desired results.

Remember, this is a Beta, so if there are any issues of soft engagements, hopefully there will be improvements ahead of release.

Any specific examples you have should be uploaded in the Bugs Forum, as the more evidence we get, the more likely it is that the issue will be addressed in future.

Keep in mind that more pressing means higher risk of losing defensive shape, which also leads to being sliced apart by through balls. In my strategy now I am telling the players to stand off more and retain their positioning instead of pressing more, and they seem to be doing allright defensively

Keep in mind that more pressing means higher risk of losing defensive shape, which also leads to being sliced apart by through balls. In my strategy now I am telling the players to stand off more and retain their positioning instead of pressing more, and they seem to be doing allright defensively

This is true, and Hassle Opponents is a Team Instruction which can be highly effective at stretching your shape beyond a compact and secure unit.

Pressing theoretically is linked to Strategy by default; the more Attacking the Strategy, the higher the default defensive line, so increased pressure is applied further up the pitch.

I've been doing this, and have specifically asked most players to Close Down More and Tackle Harder, and it generally has the desired results.

Remember, this is a Beta, so if there are any issues of soft engagements, hopefully there will be improvements ahead of release.

Any specific examples you have should be uploaded in the Bugs Forum, as the more evidence we get, the more likely it is that the issue will be addressed in future.

Thanks for the advice, but does that mean I have to go overload to see proper pressing? As said, I've already gone attacking, updated individual player instructions to press more for every player I could.. still not even close to what I want it to look like - which is I want it to look like my players actually want to _win_ the ball back instead of stading there hoping that the opponent gifts them the ball, which is what it looks like now. I'd be happy enough if I could replicate the high pressure _every single_ AI team is applying to my team when I'm eithe rplaying away from home or the AI team goes down.

Btw, I don't mean to be rude, but giving humn managers the right tools to apply pressing in particular has been an issue for the last few versions. I'm not a tactical wizard, but if I ask my players to play the unltra high defensive line, hassle opponents and get stuck inI want to see them _try_ to close any gaps to opposing players, especially the ones with the ball without a second thought. yet what I'm seeing is the complete opposite. and it's not the AI team moving the ball too quickly for the pressing tactic to work. with the players and tactics I have (any players or any tactics I have used over the last couple of years) I have not really seen a difference in the way my players behaved between "stand off opponents" and "hassle opponents".. And that is not a beta problem. It's been there for years.

I don't care right now if my high pressing tactics leads to tons of through balls. I'm happy to tinker around and sort out the problems that result from high pressing once I get pressing to work. Problem is , I can't. How do you sort out a problem that results from something the ME does not show you? what's almost making me cry is that the AI deploys pressing so easily. Choose a strong side, play a reasonably weak team from your deivision at home. As long as the game is drawn the AI has the result it wants. What happens is that when I'm in posession my guys are being allowed to close in on penalty bos up to 10 yards, and all but 1 opposition players plus 6 or 7 of my guys are in or around the box. when I inevitably lose the ball, the opposition player winning the ball usually passes to a pivot player (either the lone guy up front or a guy that leaks out of bus). This player is almost exception allowed to literally stand on the ball with multiple of my midfilders or defenders nearby, wait until they attacking players rush forward and play the throuh ball leading either to a cross, a goal kick, a free throw or a ccc. In the rare exceptions my players do attack this guy, he turns his back to the defender, the defender gets close, they stand there for a few seconds, and there's a free kick for the pivot man.

I'm happy to share my setup if that makes a difference. I still feel that _regardless_ of your tactical setup in other areas, if I tell my players to "hassle opponents" situations like described in the previous paragraph should be the exception (in particular when managing a top side!) rathe rthan the norm.

giving humn managers the right tools to apply pressing in particular has been an issue for the last few versions. I'm not a tactical wizard, but if I ask my players to play the unltra high defensive line, hassle opponents and get stuck inI want to see them _try_ to close any gaps to opposing players, especially the ones with the ball without a second thought. yet what I'm seeing is the complete opposite. and it's not the AI team moving the ball too quickly for the pressing tactic to work. with the players and tactics I have (any players or any tactics I have used over the last couple of years) I have not really seen a difference in the way my players behaved between "stand off opponents" and "hassle opponents".. And that is not a beta problem. It's been there for years.

I agree completely - we cannot achieve pressing to anything like the degree that you see with the likes of Dortmund, Bayern, Barcelona, Southampton or Bilbao in real life.

It may be a long term problem, but in fm13 after the latest patch I was able to play a reasonable pressing game, still a far cry from the coordinated pressing of Dortmund or Barca, but somewhat reasonable.

It seems to have devolved in fm14. Pressing should not linked to mentality. You can play a high line with attacking mentality and not play pressing, like Arsenal did against Spurs last season. They were sliced open by simple through balls because the spurs midfielder had ways too much time on the ball because of the lack of pressing.

The same thing happens in fm14 with my team even though I have enabled all the pressing related instructions

edit: The new beta patch did nothing to improve the situation

This was a key thing for me when trying to combat a flat 442. When a team uses a 442 in an attacking sense, such as Man U, then you can expect a LOT of space between their players. When this happens you could be wise to stand off but mark tightly. Opposition team width can be viewed through analysis when in a game. Use it wisely!

This was a key thing for me when trying to combat a flat 442. When a team uses a 442 in an attacking sense, such as Man U, then you can expect a LOT of space between their players. When this happens you could be wise to stand off but mark tightly. Opposition team width can be viewed through analysis when in a game. Use it wisely!

Again my issue is not with the team loosing shape and therefore being sliced open due to pressing, my problem is the players near to the ball do not close down properly.

I would not have a problem if my players press like mad and loose shape and I get out passed, In fact I would welcome it to concede such goals because it is realistic.

What makes my mad is to watch my players stand around while the opponent patently builds from the back, easily passes my midfield like it isn't there, and then scores.

Just a thought... Have you tried harder tackling? Maybe the issue has more to do with tackling instructions than with pressing.

It only gets you a huge amount of yellow and/or red cards. Not to mention how many free kicks you concede to the opponent.

Harder tackling only increases the inclination to make a tackle when you have sight of the ball - you've got to be close to tackle in the first case.

Does it make a difference if you specific, tight man mark everyone and Close Down More where you can?

It's not something I'd instinctively do, but it's a significant deviation from a zonal approach, so it should have an impact.

Pressing only seems ineffectual as by default marking is zonal. I do see evidence of players being pressed when moving into areas of the pitch.

Zonal pressing will also be more effective if you have players distributed around the pitch to offset the positioning of your opponent.

What we want (well, some of us) is to use pressing the way Barca/Bayern/Dortmund does; intense pressing the first few seconds after you lose posession, then ease off a bit (and maintain shape) if the ball is not won back by then. FM has never been able to replicate that.

What we want (well, some of us) is to use pressing the way Barca/Bayern/Dortmund does; intense pressing the first few seconds after you lose posession, then ease off a bit (and maintain shape) if the ball is not won back by then. FM has never been able to replicate that.

Well, the barca/BVB/Bayern type pressing is the gloal, but for now I would be happy to see my players press at all.

I feel like tight marking is even more tearing my defensive shape apart, let alone the that it means there's always gonna be an opposition player close to all my players when I do win the ball back since I asked my players to _stay close_. Closing down/pressing is in no way related to marking. I can play a high pressing game without marking anyone tightly. pressing to me means To attack the player on the ball and a) challenge him and b) take away his forward (or ideally all) passing options.

Of course marking his passing options is one way to achieve the latter, but completely useless against quick players. a far better way is to have multiple players get between the playr on the ball and the lanes to his team mates. Tthis is unachievable right now, or requires sheer luck. Btw, this is also the only part of pressing the AI cannot achieve, or at least I have not seen it.

I'm still in pre-season, but there is barely any aggressive pressing. Sure, it should depend also on the players, but firstly defensive moves such as closing down the ball carrier have always been fairly isolated affairs in FM, at least mostly (mostly one player engaging the ball carrier). And secondly, even with the most aggressive d-line and players told to hassle, everybody is just jogging along the pitch, an impression only amplified by the fairly slowish 3d animations that were introduced for FM 2013. Maybe it'll be better once the tactics are gelled, and in matches in which players are more motivated, so let's see.

Whilst there was a big difference in FM between sides that were told to drop off and those trying to push up, trying to fully replicate defending play as aggressive as Dormund is (and has always been) generally a waste of time in FM. You could try to win the ball back further up the pitch, generally, and this worked. Similarily, by standing off, dropping deep and staying on feet you could roughly replicate what Chelsea were doing when they won the CL league. But there was too little in terms of coordinated team moves and too much in terms of individual defending moves to pull something this aggressive off.

I play counter, team instructions much higher defensive line, hassle opponents, mark tighter, and stay on feet, then player instructions mark tighter for everyone, and close down more for anyone I could. My team is relentless in pressing it's great to see.

I play counter, team instructions much higher defensive line, hassle opponents, mark tighter, and stay on feet, then player instructions mark tighter for everyone, and close down more for anyone I could. My team is relentless in pressing it's great to see.

Interesting, hassle opponents raised the tempo in FM13 and the high line raised closing down, all this coupled with the OI instructions must really get the players buzzing into the opposition. Were you playing a fluid philosophy by any chance?

Doesn't make much sense to be much of a difference there as fluidity (formerly known as philosophy) defines mentality and creative freedom structures, whilst the most important settings in terms of defensive behavior were d-line and closing down, each completely unaffected. Sure there's a bit of an overlap caused by the different mentality frameworks influencing positioning, but that doesn't drastically alter much.

Might give the individual instructions a go, but the TC setup had it that extreme team modifiers such as "hassle opponents" would already increase closing down to the max. I'm more inclined to still think that pressing isn't that aggressive in FM overall, not at the moment anyways, even with the most aggressive settings and suitably aggressive and hard working as well as motivated players. Unless being more fluid in the tactics trained makes very very heavily a difference, that is.

Archived