FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feels like there is generally a lack of world class wide players that are available, so tempted to try a 4-1-2-1-2 formation or maybe 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMs, with attacking full backs. Which would mean offloading Nani, Young and Valencia, seems like it might be the way to go, but the lack of width it isn't quite the Man United way.
all those ppl who are offloading Nani and Valencia probably have not had the pleasure to come up against that pair on regular basis while playing a different team

Steve Round is annoying me greatly with his in game advice. He keeps telling me to hoof the ball up to the striker even when we manage to get it up there with nice short passing.

I fired him and brought in Mauro Tassotti. Only wish i did it sooner in the season.

Hey, nearly half way through the first season with United sitting at the top of the Premier league unbeaten with 16 wins and 2 draws scoring 45 and conceding 10 along the way.

Transfer Business

Out:

• Anderson - £11.5 mil over 24months to Valencia.

• Smalling - £20 mil to arsenal.

In:

• Marco Veratti – £13.5 mil.

• Dede - £10 mil.

• Keisuke Honda – free (after contract expires)

Arsenal came calling early for Smalling and initially I rejected their Enquiry until they offered £20 mil with a few days of the transfer window remaining and thought that was too good to turn down, Signed Dede for half of the price and he has gone on to average 8.11 in all competitions !

Tactics

I decided early on I wanted to get the most out of Van Persie, Rooney and Hernandez so playing one striker wasn’t an option, This lead me to opt for an offensive 4-4-2 as my starting tactic:

1. GK- defend

2. Left full back- Full back attack

3. CD-defend

4. CD- defend

5. Right full back- full back support

6. AML- Advanced playmaker attack

7. MCL- Deep lying playmaker defend

8. MCR- Centre midfield support

9. AMR- Winger attack

10. Left striker- Advanced forward/Complete forward attack

11. Right striker- False nine support

Team instructions

Mentality: - Control

Fluidity: - Balanced

With not playing a defensive midfielder I needed to decrease the space between the defence and midfield to ensure I’m not over run when facing opposition attacking midfielders, so I’m using the much higher defensive line instruction whilst hassling opponents to not give the opposition time to pick out the players who may be in space between the lines.

I’m also instructing my team to be more expressive due to the personnel I have available and fluidity only being balanced, with a short passing game, crosses being drilled, and working the ball into the box to build on the type of football I want to play.

The season has so far been a success, and I’m actually surprised how effective an offensive 442 has been even against the top teams. One of my highlights was not conceding a goal for 10 games in all competitions this was probably due to using defensive positioning and defensive general training.

I am also enjoying how Kagawa/ Januazj stay narrow as the advanced playmaker whilst Evra bombs forwards down the line into the space available. This movement is probably the reason behinds Evra’s 7.97 average rating in all competitions with 1 goal and 6 assists in 19 games.

Reading some of the other posts above I’m surprised a lot of people have decided to sell Hernandez as he is currently my top scorer with 16 goals in all competitions before January.

Overall nearly every member of the squad has performed above my expectations so far this season, with Rooney, Hernandez and Van Persie having all scored at least 10 goals before the new year.

The only people to disappoint me slightly are Veratti and Cleverley who have an average rating of 6.95 in all competitions; Although Veratti is in a new league, the only Italian in the first team squad, still young and has made a lot more substitute appearances than starts. Whereas I will look to sell Cleverley along with Young, Lindegaard, Welbeck and maybe Zaha in the future.

20m for smalling?

if i can get Alaba for 24m still i'm selling him :D

i find wingers are wandering all over the place, Against Wigan, Januzaj was on the left wing, got sent off. Valencia just turns up there one moment, then his usual wing the next :D.

forced the wingers to stay wide as i'm getting a fair bit of Joy from crosses.

Welbeck likes to cut over to the wings, which is frustrating.

Anyone else making a ridiculous amount of profit, the club is making £200m per season for me, i remember on FM12 making a loss for the first 5 seasons because of the debt payments.

Also i bought Ozil for £81m, hes got 19 goals and 20 assists in 30 appearances :eek:

Just look at the sponsorship money, there is an absolute ton of them and two are into the 20 million mark, which is probably the reason why along with any cup success that you get.

Anyone else having problems With Rafael? He wants to leave for PSG...just moaning all the time.

For me also Rafael was moaning...PSG made a bid despite my hands off warning of around 22 mill...i rejected....then we had a rough chat...hhe requested transfer....i rejected that too...

Now our relationship was broken...i made him available for reserves to keep his fitness....further in Nov...i gave him starting place in a Captial One Cup match which we won.....and he went happy again...at the end of season signed a new contract...not to mention we won league and fa cup which include around 35 appearances of him with average rating of 7.6+

1st season for me...

Tactics :

1. 442 (attacking, fluid, work ball in box, use offside trap)........mostly used for easy matches

2. 41221(attacking, balanced, work ball in box, use offside trap, more direct).........mostly used against big matches with huge success

Achievements:

1. Community Shield Winner

2. Premier League winner(82 points)

3. FA cup winner

First 15 games of season were rosy...winnning almost every game 4-0, 5-0....then from Nov AI started to gave tough times(i mean really really tough)....but the key was winning BIG matches....beaten Man city in capital one cup semi final by 4-1 led to 100% squad harmony and all superb motivation......(lost final to Newcastle.....damn Padrew's get stuck in approach)

Transfer:

July Window:

Out:

Buttner - 6.5 mil

loaning out youngsters

In:

Alex Sandro-15 mil (for a consistent left winger)

Honda-free(will join in january)

January window:

Out:

Anderson-17 mil

In:

Honda:free as stated above

End of season:

Out:

Nani - 30 mil (poor performances throughout season and decision making and teamwork improved to 9 only despite training hard)

Fabio - free transfer(nobody bought him.....i dint sell cheap)

In:

Ayew: 15mil

Key performers of season:

Evra : player of the season

Vidic: consistently rock(although declined a lot)

Rooney, Persie, Hernandez-20+ goals each

Just look at the sponsorship money, there is an absolute ton of them and two are into the 20 million mark, which is probably the reason why along with any cup success that you get.

I won league and got a 82 mil one year new sponsorship.......season start balance is 453 mil for second season with transfer budget of 260 mil....:rolleyes:

Not to mention......Cristiano Ronaldo is now interested to join the club :p if i pay him 800K/week :D (although i wont)

Just finished my first season with United. A very,very poor season. Finished 5th playing 4-2-3-1. I drew 14 games which was frustrating as I was neck and neck with city until about 12 games in and then it all fell apart. Got knocked out in the quarters of the LC, Semis of the FA cup and Lost on penalties to Atletico in the CL final. They won the treble!

I bought Verratti at the start of my save, for around 15m. I then moved for chiellini and got him for 16m in the winter window. After finishing outside the top 4, (which was devestating!) Jones, Smalling, Rafael & Nani all wanted to leave. Rafael and Jones went to PSG for 30mil each. Smalling went to barca for 20mil. Nani to Juve for 18m.

In order to save my job, the board want 10 points from my next 5 games. So I set about making my team hard to beat.

IN:

Marchisio - 35m

Marquinhos - 30m

Caulker - 16.5m

Jonathan Silva - 13m

De Bruyne - 6m

Willian - 10.25m

Willian and de bruyne were listed and I couldnt resist adding them to the attacking players I have.

Will be starting tonight, will let you know whether I am still in a job by October!

Anyone else having problems With Rafael? He wants to leave for PSG...just moaning all the time.

I'm having trouble with his brother Fabio, I tried to loan him out for some first team football and this made him unhappy despite me saying I think it will benefit him then he tells me he's leaving on a free at the end of the season!!

Rafael is happy for me I just keep ignoring the PSG enquires.

I'm planning to start my real save this evening .. still doubting about using wings or not... i will try to get Alba/alaba , Draxler/Barkley , Thielemans , maybe Geatan..

United are known for their wingers....I as a hardcore fan love to play traditional football which is also very eye catching compared to tiki taka in the middle

not really noticed, was lining up a bid for Xabi Alonso, but van Persies Clause for appearances activated and ate £1.5m of my budget, which I needed, especially after selling Macheda for 2.5m

and when we get records, fast hat trick

A5E0AC18C51AE22D989789487EFE0701AD9C98ED

Duly Noted!

United are known for their wingers....I as a hardcore fan love to play traditional football which is also very eye catching compared to tiki taka in the middle

I know, but found it always hard to find a good tactic with wingers on the previous two fm's.. so i played 4-3-3 (3 fc's) and had a lot of succes with many teams (inclusive Manchester United).

But you are right, will try to work something out with wingers !

On the beta 442 with wingers works fine for MU.

9fjd.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OMG 94 points........what are your signings....shouts roles ?.......Did you stuck with 442(and manage by shouts only) or changed to some other formations to defend middle crowding ?

If no quit and reload game( :D simply unbelievable for first season) then u r quite a pro

I don't understand your point here? What has your status of self proclaimed hardcore fan, (what does that even mean anyway?), have to do with how someone else chooses to play on a computer game?

I don't understand your point here? What has your status of self proclaimed hardcore fan, (what does that even mean anyway?), have to do with how someone else chooses to play on a computer game?

Well he said he was in doubt whether to use wings or not....so i just expressed my feelings.......there is nothing like status here.....Manchester United are widely known for their wing play and it has been a huge contributor for their success over past and i like the way they play...thats all i meant

Well he said he was in doubt whether to use wings or not....so i just expressed my feelings.......there is nothing like status here.....Manchester United are widely known for their wing play and it has been a huge contributor for their success over past and i like the way they play...thats all i meant

Still don't understand why you label yourself a "hardcore fan" and what that actually has to do with anything? :D

Nice , are u using specific player shouts ?

shouts are just in right of formation below title "Team instructions"

Still don't understand why you label yourself a "hardcore fan" and what that actually has to do with anything? :D

You cant understand the word.......u said Football Manager a computer game :D........surely it had nothing to do with a computer game...apologies...words taken back

this may be me being stupid but i cant find how the hell to tutor players anymore. does anyone have any ideas?

Yes Gareth : click on a young player, go to tab screen 'training' (after u clicked on the player) and then at the right corner(bottom) u can select who should to tutor him.

Archived