Will any future FM games challenge our graphics cards?

Now i know the match engine is the most important thing in this game, but as the good/solid game it is and better than any other so called football manager games out there with silly stuff like playing golf with the chairman :rolleyes: and so on, if FM challenged our graphics cards it would be brilliant id probably never see the outside world or my girlfriend again. Not much of a thread im fully aware but i still can dream.

why cant 3D AI be as realistic as in FIFA ? juz do this and i am a lifelong yearly buyer of this game

for all i agree with this theory trying to do exactly that basically destroyed LMA manager. the only decent console manager game (bar FM08 of coarse). Not that i'd expect console manager games to compete with fm but it would be nice to be able to play on my xbox.

I'd also say the current ME does challenge graphics cards a little, i currently have to play in 2D because mine cant play the 3D version :( although mine did break so i'm currently using an on-board motherboard graphics card thats 6 years old.

why cant 3D AI be as realistic as in FIFA ? juz do this and i am a lifelong yearly buyer of this game

its been discussed thousands time before that FM aritifical intelligence quality is way better than fifa or pes.. the only thing that those other games are better at is they have better visual representation..

its been discussed thousands time before that FM aritifical intelligence quality is way better than fifa or pes.. the only thing that those other games are better at is they have better visual representation..

So should i expect a better(less buggy) AI in future fm's and not a better visual representation

It will never be at the same quality of other football games. Ever. SI will always be playing catch-up while FIFA/PES etc improve.

But, that is by no means a bad thing. They're improving the visual side of the ME, but they're far more busy improving the game behind it. I fail to see why having a FIFA style match day would affect anything other than the "ooh shiny" factor.

The AI is already streets ahead of FIFA. Think about it - FM has thousands upon thousands of competing "agents" in the game that are all AI controlled, with one human controlled manager reacting to them. FIFA can't even get the one human player controlling a team facing an AI controlled team right most of the time by the rage that game induces on a regular basis.

I would much rather they concentrated on other areas than making it look pretty. I think the fact that a lot of users don't even touch 3D speaks volumes too.

its just a bit lazy to be honest. all you really need is to reskin the players, nets, pitch and ball.

its not going to mess the whole game up like some people claim, its just a re-skin, and wont affect a damn thing other than making it not look like a heap of junk.

it would take an small indie company probably a couple of weeks to put together the current graphics, the amount of polygons in a single model is woeful. the fact that its the number 1 selling football management game makes it all the worse. the money is there, they just dont want to invest in the graphics.

the graphics on world cup 98 on the nintendo 64 are better than that, and my samsung galaxy S (the first one) can play it through a rom with no trouble. (the playes even have faces!)

the crowds and stadia look nice, but everything that actually matters looks like junk.

just a quick search online will show you that there are a lot of people choosing fifa manager just because the graphics are better and you feel more immersed in the matches.

The short answer is yes, but not because of it looking stunning, but because of how badly optimised it is. They really need to work on this.

The one we have now should require next to no GPU horsepower, yet it gets my 670 up to 58°C. For comparison purposes, torchlight 2 sits at 50°, while Far Cry 3 pretty much pegs it at 68° and Guild Wars 2 ranges from 55° to 68° depending on the area and what's happening.

Without bothering going into why it would be a technical nightmare or licensing issues intrying to run a fully fledged fifa-esque graphics engine with the FM ME..

I will say that since time immemorial the theory around the creation of FM and it's vision has been to create the most accurate sim of football management and they would and will never take focus off that to create shiny graphics..

I would imagine the biggest issue would be licensing at this point... not to mention keeping the game as wide open as possible to the fanbase with lesser systems.

The probability of something like this happening is near 0.

Remember, this isn't a huge studio, even ignoring licensing issues as Welshace mentioned it would take massive sacrifices in other areas to achieve a higher level of graphical fidelity, that there would be no improvement on any other part of the game for a number of years, or the development costs would skyrocket.

I view it that in a game of FM's nature, the role of the graphical representation is function, rather than glitz. It's giving a visual representation of what the match engine is reading under the hood. As long as it does that as best it can- and I'm by no means suggesting it's there yet, nor am I suggesting that the ME itself is flawless- then I'm satisfied.

If anything, I would prefer less focus from SI on making everything look pretty- 3D representation, match screens and UI included- than there currently is, because the time is better spent developing those things under the hood that actually affect gameplay itself, both in terms of existing and new features and functions. But that's a rant for another thread on another day.

they would and will never take focus off that to create shiny graphics..

Im not for one second saying they should, as i said it's the best footy manager game out there even with bugs here and there and so on, but would it really set them back all that much to INVEST in a better graphics game? to improve ALL apsects of the game for us loyal fans. just saying.

I for 1 would hate the idea of playing fm with a fifa match engine i enjoyed playing on the 2d a few years back now i enjoy the 3d but a would hate the game to go overboard with the 3d match engine

Which they surely would still gave the 2D option for people who like that. not rocket science.

Im not for one second saying they should, as i said it's the best footy manager game out there even with bugs here and there and so on, but would it really set them back all that much to INVEST in a better graphics game? to improve ALL apsects of the game for us loyal fans. just saying.

To what end? and to what extent? they are already improving textures and such, but if you want a fully fledged 3d system similar to FIFA, as I said, a lot of factors come into play, like licensing, price, performance... and all for a feature that isn't needed really.

Not because of the 3D engine, no matter how much you want to convince yourself you're right.

I could leave it there; but since I'm gonna be a nice guy. Football manager is and always was a niche title that relies on function for advertisement. It's about realism, accurate simulation and being true to the sport.

Graphics wont make the game, ever, not in a game like this where it's a small part of the whole experience compared to everything else. Even if they DID make a fully fledged 3D engine with graphics at around the level of FIFA 13, the game wouldn't sell any more. Because there's still the whole issue of _that's not the core part of the game_.

Archived