FM13 Liverpool F.C Thread - The future's so bright, you have to wear sunglasses

cezar.sl

I like it harder as well but with some formations the results are a bit random.

The current setup I got seems quite solid after about 20 games. Intresting to see how well it plays out on the 2nd season.

Actually hoping to get title in the upcoming season or at least be very close to it.

It doesn't help with the lack of depth, Maxi, Bellamy and Kuyt all wanting to leave during the summer and not being able to buy replacements means that for the first season in this game a wingerless formation might be the best one.

Also has anyone noticed how quickly your players get fatigued in this game?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers for posting that mate. I'm interested in the fact that you had success playing with a very similar formation to the one I prefer, almost down to the player roles too. It gives me hope that my problems are due to team cohesion rather than my tactical ineptitude.

If you don't mind, I might copy your settings just to see how I get on - though it will be with more or less the original players as I prefer not to make mass changes to the squad. Out of curiosity, have you change any individual player settings?

Aside from upping the tempo and counter attacking no other team/player settings are changed. It probably wasn't until about Christmas time that Jovetic started scoring regularly but when he did everything else clicked. FM13 is all about the strikers, probably why Fulham are doing well on peoples' saves with Petric up top.

Good idea. Personally hate to test tactics in the career games! I always watch commentary only once everything is setup so it has been a bit frustrating with FM13 get that sorted.

I got flying start with the tweaks and tactic so hopefully it will last. Not looking for "diablos" but consistent tactic(s) are required.

Sound like we are basically playing the same formation.

Don't get me wrong, I like that it's harder, in fm 2012 I have kuyt getting 17 goals from the left in a 4-2-3-1 and maxi hitting around 18 assists from the amc position just by setting it to fluid, control and things like short passing. Be interesting to see how long it'll take to start dominating though.

I am trying to keep passing short and I hope to, over the course of a few seasons, build up a pool of technically adept good decision makers in order to be able to go more and more fluid. I have Cruyff as my assistant manager and I want total football!

Due to Septembers bad form, mainly in the league I made a couple of changes. First I swapped the strategy from attacking to control, also I've dropped Assaidi to the bench with Suarez taking over the AML inside forward role and Borini being my poacher.

Premier League

Liverpool 1:0 Spurs; Gerrard 7

Liverpool 1:1 QPR; Shelvey 54, Gerrard missed pen (83); Johnson 27

One win and one draw in the league :rolleyes: hopefully some consistency will start to form here

Europa league group match

Liverpool 2:1 Liberec; Borini 9, Suarez 93; Prochazka 38

Liverpool 7:4 Dnipro; Borini 4, 53, Assaidi 13, 15, Shelvey 49, Gerrard 63, 85; Kalinic 16, 46, Artem 52, Eugene 83

Capital one cup

Liverpool 1:0 Brighton; Suarez 54.

A cup heavy month with 9 of the 12 goals being scored in the Europa league, but that will slow down soon. Well just before the FA cup starts up. The board are happy I'm trying to play attacking football although I don't think the players are there to change the strategy from control just yet, but are refusing to say whether I'm giving youth a chance. This is despite Shelvey having played 13 games, Mclaughlin 10, Robinson 9, Sterling 12, Suso 13, Ibe 4 and Yesil 6

Finished my first season as Liverpool playing a 4-4-2 system as follows:

GK - Reina (Sweeper Keeper)

RB - Johnson/Kelly (Full back)

CB - Agger/Coates (Ball playing defender)

CB - Skrtel (Cental defender)

LB - Enrique/Robinson (Full back)

LM - Welington Nem/Sterling/Assaidi (winger)

CM - Joe Allen/Lucas (deep lying playmaker)

CM - Gerrard/Shelvey (Box to box midfielder)

RM - Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

ST - Borini/Ademilson (Poacher)

ST - Suarez (Advanced forward)

With Suso, Wilson and a few youngster getting intermittent chances.

Here are my first transfer window dealings:

Transfers in (1st window)

Ademilson - Release fee (4.2m?)

Very promising little striker, played as a backup poacher, scoring 10 goals from about 20 appearances as a backup striker, including a hat trick against Everton :p

Welington Nem - Release fee (3.3m?)

Brilliant. Played from left wing, 40 odd appearances with about 18 assists. Goal tally wasnt very impressive, standing at about 2, but he is doing his job in getting those assists in.

Joel Pohjanpolo - 100k

Bought in for the reserves, stats look great, may never make a first team striker, but has definite re-sale value and could become a very good squad player.

Transfers out (1st window)

Downing - 7.5m to Fulham

Henderson and Joe Cole loaned out to whoever would take them!

Results

Finished 3rd in premier league.

Knocked out by Napoli in 2nd round of the Europa Cup.

Knocked out early doors in Capital One cup and FA Cup.

Performances

Suarez - Scored 18 assisted 15 overall

Borini - Scored 20 assisted 6 overall

Ademilson - Scored 10 assisted 3 overall

Gerrard - scored 8 assisted 8 overall

2nd Season

I dont like the 4-4-2 system, and as I have always done in the previous versions of FM, am now switching to a 3-5-2.

The board gave my 73m in the second season, after selling Johnson (14m) and Enrique (12m), transfer so far have been:

Llorente - Free, need to score more goals, so no brainer!

Willian - 12m, need a utility attacking mid in my system which Willian in brilliant for.

Doria - 500k, ridiculous price for great potential

My new system will be as follows:

CB - Kelly (Cental defender)

DM - Joe Allen/Jonjo Shelvey (deep lying playmaker)

DM - Lucas (Anchor man)

LM - Wellington Nem/Willian/Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

RM - Wellington Nem/Willian/Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

AM - Gerrard/ Wellington Nem/ Willian (Attacking midfielder)

ST - Llorente/Borini/Ademilson (Poacher)

ST - Suarez/Llorente (Advanced forward)

Features of my new system are:

A deep lying play maker in the mould of Allen/Shelvey who play the ball out. Both being re-trained to DM

An anchor man who sits next to them (Lucas)

Wingers who are good on both sides of the pitch and who swap positions, hence Willian, Wellington Nem, Assaidi and Sterling.

An attacking midfielder with great creativity and passing who sets ups goals for the forwards (Gerrard, Nem, Willian)

Busy bee striker in the form of Suarez who causes havoc in the penalty box

And a Finisher who can score the goals in the form of Llorente/Borini

With the rest of my budget I intend to bring in some decent youngsters, a centre back and a backup keeper.

Then I will see how my new system goes, in the past it has yielded great results, but lets see how it goes on FM13...

July Updates

Friendly

Liverpool 2 1 Reserves

Liverpool 2-0 Nac Breda

Sold Kelly & Doni Loaned out Cole trying to get rid of Downing was gonna sell Henderson gonna keep as a backup to Sterlng i missed out on Wellington Nem Butland is my only signing may get a striker on loan to cover Suarez & Borini

Finished my first season as Liverpool playing a 4-4-2 system as follows:

RB - Johnson/Kelly (Full back)

LB - Enrique/Robinson (Full back)

LM - Welington Nem/Sterling/Assaidi (winger)

CM - Joe Allen/Lucas (deep lying playmaker)

CM - Gerrard/Shelvey (Box to box midfielder)

RM - Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

ST - Borini/Ademilson (Poacher)

ST - Suarez (Advanced forward)

With Suso, Wilson and a few youngster getting intermittent chances.

Here are my first transfer window dealings:

Transfers in (1st window)

Ademilson - Release fee (4.2m?)

Very promising little striker, played as a backup poacher, scoring 10 goals from about 20 appearances as a backup striker, including a hat trick against Everton :p

Welington Nem - Release fee (3.3m?)

Brilliant. Played from left wing, 40 odd appearances with about 18 assists. Goal tally wasnt very impressive, standing at about 2, but he is doing his job in getting those assists in.

Joel Pohjanpolo - 100k

Bought in for the reserves, stats look great, may never make a first team striker, but has definite re-sale value and could become a very good squad player.

Transfers out (1st window)

Downing - 7.5m to Fulham

Henderson and Joe Cole loaned out to whoever would take them!

Results

Finished 3rd in premier league.

Knocked out by Napoli in 2nd round of the Europa Cup.

Knocked out early doors in Capital One cup and FA Cup.

Performances

Suarez - Scored 18 assisted 15 overall

Borini - Scored 20 assisted 6 overall

Ademilson - Scored 10 assisted 3 overall

Gerrard - scored 8 assisted 8 overall

2nd Season

I dont like the 4-4-2 system, and as I have always done in the previous versions of FM, am now switching to a 3-5-2.

The board gave my 73m in the second season, after selling Johnson (14m) and Enrique (12m), transfer so far have been:

Llorente - Free, need to score more goals, so no brainer!

Willian - 12m, need a utility attacking mid in my system which Willian in brilliant for.

Doria - 500k, ridiculous price for great potential

My new system will be as follows:

CB - Kelly (Cental defender)

DM - Joe Allen/Jonjo Shelvey (deep lying playmaker)

DM - Lucas (Anchor man)

LM - Wellington Nem/Willian/Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

RM - Wellington Nem/Willian/Assaidi/Sterling (winger)

AM - Gerrard/ Wellington Nem/ Willian (Attacking midfielder)

ST - Llorente/Borini/Ademilson (Poacher)

ST - Suarez/Llorente (Advanced forward)

Features of my new system are:

A deep lying play maker in the mould of Allen/Shelvey who play the ball out. Both being re-trained to DM

An anchor man who sits next to them (Lucas)

Wingers who are good on both sides of the pitch and who swap positions, hence Willian, Wellington Nem, Assaidi and Sterling.

An attacking midfielder with great creativity and passing who sets ups goals for the forwards (Gerrard, Nem, Willian)

Busy bee striker in the form of Suarez who causes havoc in the penalty box

And a Finisher who can score the goals in the form of Llorente/Borini

With the rest of my budget I intend to bring in some decent youngsters, a centre back and a backup keeper.

Then I will see how my new system goes, in the past it has yielded great results, but lets see how it goes on FM13...

You're 3-5-2 looks interesting, but I've never been a massive fan of having wingers in the LM/RM positions as opposed to AML/AMR. I've never been able to get them preforming good enough to place them further back, which is why I always end up playing a 4-2-3-1, 4-2-4 or a 4-3-3. With three defenders and two defensive mids you should be good enough to prevent yourself from conceding a lot of goals, but I think there's a lack of width there with no fullbacks, as well as not a lot of attacking intent either.

You're 3-5-2 looks interesting, but I've never been a massive fan of having wingers in the LM/RM positions as opposed to AML/AMR. I've never been able to get them preforming good enough to place them further back, which is why I always end up playing a 4-2-3-1, 4-2-4 or a 4-3-3. With three defenders and two defensive mids you should be good enough to prevent yourself from conceding a lot of goals, but I think there's a lack of width there with no fullbacks, as well as not a lot of attacking intent either.

I do target certain types of wingers to be honest, they are usually pacy, have a decent amount of dribble and flair and are good passers with high creativity, more akin to attacking midfielders. I also set there mentality very high and give them complete creative freedom. It does mean that I can be a little susceptible down the flanks, but in terms of attacking they can cause havoc and are often found more central and in AMR/AML positions. Also the AMC mentality is dropped a bit so Gerrard can be found a little deeper and the DLP mentality is increased a little so he can be found a little higher up the pitch.

I am not sure how it will play out in FM13 yet, but in the past the system has conceded very few goals and has allowed me to score a lot. In past FM's I have usually done this as later in the game, quality regen full backs were a little hard to come by.

Best use of Joe Allen.

Read a few different things here, but how do you best use Joe Allen, position and role?

He's developing well for me, >80% passing, more mistakes than i'd like but to be expected from a young player, but my avg rating for him always hovers between 6.5-6.9.

I mainly play him CM with DLP support role.

Thoughts?

Best use of Joe Allen.

Read a few different things here, but how do you best use Joe Allen, position and role?

He's developing well for me, >80% passing, more mistakes than i'd like but to be expected from a young player, but my avg rating for him always hovers between 6.5-6.9.

Thoughts?

That's how I'm playing him in my midfield 3, I think playing him in the DM position as a DLP would work too. But like you said he's quite young and a lot of his mental stats will increase in the game to remove those mistake

Loading up for a bit. Currently 12th after 6 games with 7 points. 9 points behind leaders Utd.

Also I've been wondering, on the transfers history screen it shows that loan players were paid for by e.g. £100k p/m so is that actually £100k per month or is it just shown like that because I thought that the fee was a one off payment?

Best use of Joe Allen.

Thoughts?

Well.. his attributes are better suited for supporting role as you described. I would not be too concerned if your team performs since the game calculates avg ratings based on (goals + assits).. so even if player plays well but does not contribute his avg ratings are "low". I think he is something like 7.1avg for me.

Best use of Joe Allen.

Thoughts?

I play him as a DLP in a CM position. Hasn't been amazing but averages around 7.1. His metal stats have gone up fairly well, but his technical stats need to increase if he is going to stay in my team.

I play him as a DLP in a CM position. Hasn't been amazing but averages around 7.1. His metal stats have gone up fairly well, but his technical stats need to increase if he is going to stay in my team.

I don't think he's ever going to get an amazing rating in the game, he's always going to be the player that sets up the set up. Like Alonso was before him, at only 22 he should be able to develop into a great player

Funnily enough I bought Allen in last year's game and he was a key player. Very reliable and consistent. His passing went up a good deal after one season and his mental attributes too. I think he's still the same as last year when the Swansea researcher rated him.

I just got the game. I'll be loading up soon and starting with Liverpool first. I'm really excited about developing our young players.

Has anyone modified Suarez's professionalism as the Liverpool researcher said he's going to get a boost in the new year update?

:( Just had a 24.5m offer accepted for Falcao but he didn't even negotiate :(

That's because we don't have a good enough reputation to start with. I tried to poach a couple of Barca youths and despite offering them 3 or 4 times what they accepted from Barca but no dice.

Funnily enough I bought Allen in last year's game and he was a key player. Very reliable and consistent. His passing went up a good deal after one season and his mental attributes too. I think he's still the same as last year when the Swansea researcher rated him.

I just got the game. I'll be loading up soon and starting with Liverpool first. I'm really excited about developing our young players.

Has anyone modified Suarez's professionalism as the Liverpool researcher said he's going to get a boost in the new year update?

I haven't modified it, he got one red card in my game for diving and a ban after five yellows I think. Sounds about right to be honest!

November

Premier League

Liverpool 4:0 Westham; Gerrard 12, 53 (pen), Allen 33, Borini 58

Liverpool 0:0 Stoke

Liverpool 1:0 Norwich; Shelvey 21

Liverpool 1:1 Wigan; Agger 90; Kone 76

Liverpool 1:0 West Brome; Borini 69

Europa league group match

Liverpool 2:1 Dnipro; Robinson 6, Sterling 24; Eugene 12

Liverpool 0:1 Brugge; Vleminckx 82

Just purchased the game today having a quick look around and i can see its the same as every year with folk saying the game is harder. Only time will tell tho so far i would say it is, although cant expect much from liverpool in this game in the 1st season. has anybody had any good luck with tactics and signings ? so far ive signed jovetic and not qualified for the europa league against minnows from finland 6 straight defeats already not looking too great. Any advice for a solid tactic cant score goals which seems about right these days so much shots. So its obvious im seeking a goalscorer. If any1 could advise me on strong tactics and a potential striker im open to offers, Thanks and keep this thread busy as a liverpool save seems exciting this year !

Ive been using the W-M tactic on the demo. (i cant get the full game until the end of the month as my boiler has decided to retire and i have had to buy a shiney new one)

Players in:

Wellington Nem - 3.5 mil

Adryan - 875k

guidetti - loan

Bolatti - loan

Players out:

Downing - 14 mil (fulham over 48 months)

Doni - 1.2 mil

Cole - Loan to Stoke

I find the tactic works really well with the two CM's pushed into AM's against weaker teams.

if you have never used a W-M system before then i think @7Bestie7's thread: Inverting the Pyramid: W-M and Hybrids will be an interesting read.

I used Cleons version of the tactic - which is also in the thread - and tweaked it to suit my team better. im not ashamed to say i thought i knew about tactics but these boys have forgot more than i know.

Peace.

Hi Guys,

Not been on here for a while,been patiently waiting for fm13 to come out so i can start a new Liverpool save.Bought the game on release day and as of yet i have still not started a game due to the fact i cannot load all the graphics that i need. Im one of those people unfortunately that cannot play fm wothout facepacks,kits,logos etc etc!!

I managed to get the logos and club badges on but the faces and the kits are proving to be a real pain in the a*** and its really starting to annoy me!!

So my question is can anyone help?? me or is anyone else experiencing the same difficulty?? in previous fm series ive never had a problem!!

Cheers guys!!

Pre season 2013/2014

It was pretty busy summer in terms of transfer news at Anfield road.

In: Isco (Malaga), Götze (Dortmund), Vrsaljiko (Dinamo), Fierro (Chivas), Willems (PSV)

Out: Spearing (Blackburn), Carroll (Wolves), Assaidi (Wolves), Pacheco (Betis), Enrique (Stoke) and Johnson (Arsenal).

Prospects in: Loncar (Dinamo), Veroutis (Aris)...

We are still looking to bring future prospects into the club so that list will increase.

However no intensions of shaping 1st team anymore.. still got around 24 million in the bank though if some intresting targets become available.

This is the team we will starting with on the season opener at Goodison Park vs Everton.

GK Reina / Butland

DL Robinson / Willems

DR Vrsaljiko / Wisdom

DC Agger / Coates / Skrtel / Kelly

MC Shelvey / Allen / Nainggollan / Lucas

AMC Jovetic / Sterling / Gerrard / Isco / Götze / Suso

ST Suarez / Borini / Yesil

Promised to board that we will aim at the title so players better start delivering the goods. The friendlies went good so who knows.

Frustrating transfer window so far. Llorente wanted wages I wasn't prepared to pay so I passed, Falcao didn't negotiate, Neymar asks for a silly offer which I make but he joins man utd instead. Gonna need a decent CL run in season 2 to attract the big names by the looks of it.

edit: Jovetic injured for two months from one of the pre season friendlies now SMH

Frustrating transfer window so far. Llorente wanted wages I wasn't prepared to pay so I passed, Falcao didn't negotiate, Neymar asks for a silly offer which I make but he joins man utd instead. Gonna need a decent CL run in season 2 to attract the big names by the looks of it.

edit: Jovetic injured for two months from one of the pre season friendlies now SMH

Neymar went to Man Utd in my as well. Tried to get him but he wasn't intrested at all.

Oh.. the 2nd season dilemma is always the hardest with new players coming in etc.. lost 3-0 to Everton at the opener and never looked like we even showed up in the pitch.

It seems Santiago Llorente (DOF) agreed 30M deal for the player. Definately not all upfront though but don't know exact details since did not participate in the negotiatons.

I think he is class act though once he settles in. The season was abysmal effort for him though.. avg 6.20!

Seems a great thread already this. Playing in the lower leagues now but sooner or later I'll probably start my Liverpool save especially after watching Being Liverpool!

Would like a long term so probably will let the updates settle down and start slightly later into the season

Team's been having mixed results. Playing good/decent in the Europa League and have 9 points out of 9, but in terms of the Capital One cup, lost to QPR when fielding nearly full strength team, 2-1 AT HOME! Mixed form in the league also, some losses etc but just tried a new tactic with two strikers upfront, both as poachers and won 5-0 against West Ham away :D with Suarez getting two, Hernandez one and Borini one aswell :D. To be fair, they were down to 90 men but it was already 4-0 when they were down to 10 and they were down to 9 in the final minutes of the game

Hopefully this is the start of something special...

Used the same tactic and players against PAOK in the EURO cup and won 3-2 with Suarez again getting two and Borini getting the other.

Calling it a day.. a bumpy start with losses to Everton and WBA away.

The good news is that tweaking the starting 11 to get optimal positions to everyone involved. We have now won againts Wigan, Aston Villa, Bolton and Juventus.

It will take early season for team to get to know each other. Very happy with the players I got so don't expect much transfers in january.

I did make final push in transfer deadline day though. Bought Lars Bender from Bayer Leverkusen for 17M. Than in return off loaded Lucas into Valencia for 12,5M.

I think that was good deal which needed to be done.

Archived