FM13 Liverpool F.C Thread - The future's so bright, you have to wear sunglasses

cezar.sl

Most of them paying about 5M upfront with the rest over 48Months

I dont mind doing it as long as I'm signing young players with a view to play them over the next 4 years to justify the spend

All that I have to worry about is not being able to spend so much in the next few years in order to keep my balance sheet healthy - unless I win a few competitions and get that prize money flowing in!

You do know bringing in so many players when you're paying over 48 months is going to destroy your finances?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do know bringing in so many players when you're paying over 48 months is going to destroy your finances?

As long you win enough and restrict your spending over the 4 years that you are paying for these players your normally fine

If I calculate it, I am ending up paying 1M every month for these players (Ba (160K) Griezman (275K) Jovetic (250K) Lichtsteiner (230K)) - As long as I get a transfer budget each year of 12M I should easily be able to afford these guys - based on what people are saying on the forums this seems more than possible :)

As long you win enough and restrict your spending over the 4 years that you are paying for these players your normally fine

If I calculate it, I am ending up paying 1M every month for these players (Ba (160K) Griezman (275K) Jovetic (250K) Lichtsteiner (230K)) - As long as I get a transfer budget each year of 12M I should easily be able to afford these guys - based on what people are saying on the forums this seems more than possible :)

I think Liverpool also lose something like 350k a month on their loan payments too, and I'm not sure you'll be bringing over 1 million a month in otherwise if I'm remembering right from last years game when it was something like that. Unless you can afford fees up front I'd avoid massive payments over so many years until you were hitting the CL

Huh I was wrong, its down to 220k a month in this game.....never mind

Just purchased the game today having a quick look around and i can see its the same as every year with folk saying the game is harder. Only time will tell tho so far i would say it is, although cant expect much from liverpool in this game in the 1st season. has anybody had any good luck with tactics and signings ? so far ive signed jovetic and not qualified for the europa league against minnows from finland 6 straight defeats already not looking too great. Any advice for a solid tactic cant score goals which seems about right these days so much shots. So its obvious im seeking a goalscorer. If any1 could advise me on strong tactics and a potential striker im open to offers, Thanks and keep this thread busy as a liverpool save seems exciting this year !

I think Liverpool also lose something like 350k a month on their loan payments too, and I'm not sure you'll be bringing over 1 million a month in otherwise if I'm remembering right from last years game when it was something like that. Unless you can afford fees up front I'd avoid massive payments over so many years until you were hitting the CL

Huh I was wrong, its down to 220k a month in this game.....never mind

I agree completly - thats why I'm banking on CL for next year or else I'm toast!

I just looked at a squad and it didnt seem like they had enough to get into the CL - then I got gready with Demba Ba!

But in all honasty - currently Sterling is doing a better job than Griezmann and Borini better than Ba - so not too happy that I outlaid this! But im sure once the guys blend into the squad proper they will be fine

Just purchased the game today having a quick look around and i can see its the same as every year with folk saying the game is harder. Only time will tell tho so far i would say it is, although cant expect much from liverpool in this game in the 1st season. has anybody had any good luck with tactics and signings ? so far ive signed jovetic and not qualified for the europa league against minnows from finland 6 straight defeats already not looking too great. Any advice for a solid tactic cant score goals which seems about right these days so much shots. So its obvious im seeking a goalscorer. If any1 could advise me on strong tactics and a potential striker im open to offers, Thanks and keep this thread busy as a liverpool save seems exciting this year !

At the start of the game you're pretty much limited to what you can do formation wise. A 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 are probably your best bets with Suarez up front on his own and Borini as your sub striker for now. I'd also say go for fluid and attacking/control as your strategy, but as for passing, width, roaming that's best left to how you want to play the game, and how you feel you team should play. As for a striker unless you offload a lot of crap, i.e. downing, cole possibly henderson then you won't really be able to buy a good one in your first season.

I agree completly - thats why I'm banking on CL for next year or else I'm toast!

I just looked at a squad and it didnt seem like they had enough to get into the CL - then I got gready with Demba Ba!

But in all honasty - currently Sterling is doing a better job than Griezmann and Borini better than Ba - so not too happy that I outlaid this! But im sure once the guys blend into the squad proper they will be fine

Ahaha I'd rather have the CL before big spending rather than hoping to get it for the next season, just in case you miss out and don't have the income for the payments without taking yourself into the red. Though I think Liverpool might be able to sneak into 4th on this game with their current squad as long as players like Suarez score consistently unlike real life (outside of this season clearly aha

Jovetic & Suarez should be fine as a striking pair

Look at my previous post and see my tactics - I'm playing a 4-2-4 with Fluid Style and Control Strategy - Shorter Passing - More Expressive Freedom and Drilled Crosses with a normal defensive lines

This has been winning games for me without any problems :)

Transfers In 22.5m

Wellington Nem

Adryan

Chris Solly

Andreas Cornelius

Radja Nianggolan

Transfers Out 24.5m

Doni

Henderson

Downing

Johnson

Wigan 0 - 0 Liverpool

* I dominate possession and get 12 shots away but no goals

Wigan 1 - 1 Liverpool - Agger (Pen)

* One again dominate possession and get 22 shots away but still no goals from open play

Played my first Premier League match and won 3-1 against Everton at home. Hernandez got two and Suarez got a penalty. Great start for me as I was 1 nil down. Still need to work on getting the tactic right.

Is that Abel Hernandez? how much did he cost ya?

In mid november 2012 currently 3rd in Premier League. I'am 3 points behind Manchester United with game in hand..

Premier League

A Reading 7-1 (Gerrard, Srktel, Suarez 2, Jovetic, Allen, Sahin)

H Norwich 2-0 (Jovetic, Nainggolan)

A QPR 2-2 (Suarez 2)

H Tottenham 1-2 (Allen)

H Aston Villa 3-1 (Jovetic, Suarez, Borini)

H West Ham 2-1 (Suarez, Own goal)

A Chelsea 2-4 (Suarez, Gerrard)

A Swansea 2-0 (Jovetic, Suso)

H Sunderland 2-1 (Jovetic, Suarez)

H Arsenal 2-1 (Gerrard, Sterling)

EURO CUP

A Naftan 2-0 (Sterling, Borini)

H Naftan 2-0 (Borini, Shelvey)

A Hearts 3-3 (Gerrard, Shelvey, Suarez)

H Hearts a2-2 (Assaidi, Sahin)

H CFR Cluj 1-1 (Shelvey)

A Hannover 1-0 (Suarez)

A KR 3-0 (Borini 3)

H KR 4-1 (Assaidi 2, Shelvey 2)

Capital One Cup

H Manchester City 1-3 (Sterling)

If we get the defensive stuff sorted out than who knows how well this turns out. Early days though and anything is possible.

Jovetic & Suarez should be fine as a striking pair

Look at my previous post and see my tactics - I'm playing a 4-2-4 with Fluid Style and Control Strategy - Shorter Passing - More Expressive Freedom and Drilled Crosses with a normal defensive lines

This has been winning games for me without any problems :)

Is this with 4 up top or 2 as a pair and 2 wingers just lower down like a 4222 ?

Finally started my new game, hopefully it'll stop crashing all the time :rolleyes: I've started with a 4-3-3 as my default formation; sweeper keeper, wingbacks, an anchor man and inside forwards who swap position. Gerrard's been thrown onto the right wing with Allen and Sahin taking the middle two positions and either Lucas/Henderson behind them. Although a 4-3-3 does mean Suso will be taking a wider position than he might be suited to, at the start of the game you don't really have a good enough right winger for a 4-2-3-1 and have Gerrard central.

It's also interesting that the board say they want you to use youth players when you don't have much of a choice here.

Like a few people I've brought Cryuff in as my assistant manger and hired a director of football whose duties are to find clubs for the players that are transfer listed, deal with contracts, as well as hand out scouting duties. Staff duties are an interesting twist in this one, but I'm not too sure how they'll play out.

Transfers out

Doni £2.2m Man City

Downing loan Fulham (19.5m to buy at the end of the season) I'm not too sure what happened here, I tried the normal £20m over 48 months but this time only loan options came up, yet Fulham are willing to pay that amount at the end of the season

Joe Cole loan Swansea. I think I'm paying 60% of his wages for the loan but I just wanted him out of the club

The DoF (can't even remember who that is) also sent a bunch of reserve players out on loan

With Downing only going out on loan my transfer budget wasn't increased so there's no incoming players in my first summer

Pre-season

I have a habit of making my assistant manager arrange my pre-season matches for me, but for whatever reason, I can only guess its due to the Europa league qualifiers, Liverpool only had one pre-season game here and it was against Liverpool reserves

Liverpool 0:0 Liverpool Reserves

Europa League Qualifiers

Liverpool 0:0 Servette (1st leg)

Liverpool 3:2 Severtte Sterling 45, 68, Suarez 92; Baltensburger 24, 47 (2nd leg)

Liverpool 3:0 Rapid Wein, Carragher 18, Gerrard 66, Borini 91 (1st leg)

Liverpool 2:2 Rapid Wein, Coates 2, Robinson 80; Boyd 5, Lopez 89 (2nd leg)

Premier league

Liverpool 2:0 Everton, Sahin 14, Skrtel 26

Liverpool 1:2 Fulham, Sahin 46; Berbatov 26, Diarra 66.

Three wins and three draws so far, the draws into the two Europa league games came from fielding mostly youth players, so I'm not too worried as of yet.

Gutting! big fan, but I went the Ba option. 3rd season tried to get him but Barca payed 27mil for him which I couldnt afford :(

Ah unlucky. Totally forgot about Ba and the clause in his contract but Cisse looks amazing with 20 finishing! Somehow managed to get it down to £9.5m from £13m!

Trust a player to score a 30 yarder against me in the dying minutes of the game to bring the score to 1-1...

At the end of december we are 3rd in the league. Manchester City are 5 points ahead of us.

We got rough december start when we lost 2-1 at Old Trafford. Bitter game since Man Utd had 2 players sent off and scored the winner from controversial penalty.

That match send us spinning despite the WBA win. However, we managed to turn the fortunes so CL spot is up for grabs.

Premier League

A Southampton 2-1 (Jovetic, Sterling)

A Manchester United 1-2 (Suarez)

H West Bromwich 2-0 (Johnson, Jovetic)

A Everton 0-1

A Manchester City 0-1

A Newcastle 0-3

H Stoke 2-0 (Agger, Suarez)

H Fulham 3-0 (Lucas, Suarez, Borini)

H Wigan 2-0 (Gerrard 2)

H Reading 4-0 (Gerrard, Suarez, Coates, Allen)

EURO CUP

A CFR Cluj 1-1 (Assaidi)

H Hannover 0-3

Most likely wohn't have much to do in january transfer window. Unless I will off load some of the veteran players.

That is very much undecieded at the moment.

Alright lads. Just at the end of jan in my first season, 5th level on points with united 3rd & spurs4th. Good battle ahead for the CL places.

I've spent 53m and taken in 32m. Isco & jovetic were both over 48 months. Only ever use this in the first window. Also signed

Butland, Wellington nem, fernando (gremio DM), kiko fermenia & adryan

With a much thinner squad due to the attacking players leaving in the summer, Liverpool are a hell of a lot harder to manage this time around

And in the 6th game, I get my first win against Arsenal in a 4-3 thriller. Typical how I can drop points to so many nothing teams then go win at the Emirates. Now losing 1-0 to FC Vaslul in Europa..

I think Borini is striker of choice for me, Suarez hasnt scored yet whilst Borini has 3 from 4. Cornelius hasnt managed to do much in his substitute appearances.

Suarez attitude is terrible. Always 'furious' on the pitch and very bad form. I made a poor team talk in the first friendly (wasnt even that bad) and since then it just seems to have triggered him into pure hatred towards everything.

September

Premier league

**** Liverpool didn't do well this month with only picking up 4 points from 12 :(

Liverpool 6:0 Swansea; Suarez 6, 8, 48, Gerrard 24, 69, 92

Liverpool 0:0 Aston Villa

Liverpool 0:1 Southampton; Lallana 38

Liverpool 1:1 Man City; Borini 54; Milner 88

Hopefully October will be better but so far I've only got 8 points from 6 matches

Europa group match

Liverpool 2:0 Club Burgge Shelvey 25, Henderson 66

Capital one cup

Liverpool 1:0 Derby Gerrard (pen 89)

Hi All,

This is my first post on here.

I have decided to share my experience with Liverpool on FM13.

I had a clear out as soon as I took over the job as Manager and decided to bring in youngsters on lower salaries.

Transfers out :

Luis Suarez - 35m

Downing - 13.75m

Johnson - 20.5m

Joe Cole - Loan

Doni - 1.2m

Transfers in:

Ter Stegen - 25m

Nainggolan - 13.5m

Douglas Costa - 12.5m

Demba Ba - 7m

Ademilson - 5.25m

Wellington Nem - 3.5m

Kweuke - 3.2m

Okore - 1.3m

Tom Hateley - 1m

Adryan - 875k

Craig Gordon - Free

I have been using 4-2-3-1 formation.

Flat back four, 2 central midfielders, an attacking central midfielder with 2 ataacking midfield wingers and a lone striker.

Goalkeepers - Reina, Ter Stegen, Craig Gordon and Brad Jones.

I originally planned to sell Reina and use the other 3, but nobody wanted to buy Reina. Ter stegen has cemented himself as my number 1 keeper. Reina is used when I decide to rest him.

Right backs - Kelly, Hateley and Flannagan

Kelly has made this spot his and is performing very well.

Left backs - Enrique and Robinson

I planned to get rid of Enrique, but I haven't found a replacement and TBH he has been fantastic for me. He has even weighed in with a few goals and assists.

Centre backs - Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carragher, Wilson and Okore.

I wanted to sell Agger and Skrtel, but they have been outstanding.

Midfield - Lucas, Nainggolan, Sahin, Henderson, Allen and Shelvey.

Lucas and Sahin have been my prefeered pairing, but Nainggolan and henderson are now pushing for a place.

Attacking Midfield Central - Gerrard, Wellington Nem, Shelvey, Suso and I have also used Trickett Smith in this position.

Gerrard dominates this role, but Wellington Nem is proving a bargain.

Attacking Midfield Right - Douglas Costa, Sterling and Borini is also playing in this role.

Costa is outstanding, but so is Sterling.

Attacking Midfield Left - Sterling, Assaidi and Wellington Nem.

Difficult to choose between Sterling and Assaidi both playing very well.

Striker - Ba, Kweuke, Ademilson and Borini.

Ba is great upfront on his own and Kweuke and Ademilson are doing well too.

Top scorers:

Ba - 18

Assaidi - 8

Sterling - 7

Kweuke - 6

Gerrard -6

Costa - 5

Assists:

Assaidi - 12

Gerrard - 9

Costa - 9

Wellington - 7

Sahin - 6

I am now in the January transfer window and I have just got Ronaldinho on a free transfer. I'm not sure if I should buy or sell as I am currently top of the premiership.

Season 1 review

The wage bill is high and the squad needs strengthening so same as last year quite a few transfers for the first season. Selling Reina and Suarez was partly to raise funds but being completely honest both have had attributes reduced by the reasearcher and probably rightly so with Reina. For the wages they're on I want a better finisher and a better shot stopper.

s1transfers.png

My tactics evolved a little bit in terms of roles and after about 10 games I did a manual override on the tempo which I think really helped. From December onwards my tactics were the same each match home and away with good results.

s1tactics.png

After an awful start things finally clicked, hopefully the graph below offers some encouragement for those of you that are having the same kind of difficult start I had.

s1progress.png

On to season two, I need to strengthen both wing positions and might try and sign Sahin who was probably my best CM.

There's a lot of players becoming unhappy at clubs. Big major names, hamsik, Catania, hummels, Neymar. Bit strange

I brought this issue up before but got disregarded, surely has to be a bug. Cavani, Navas, Tiote, L.Bender, Kolarov, Montillo, Astori are the top transfer listed at the moment, and that is relatively quite.

On my Arsenal save by the time it was January I had a world beating team from TL'd players (Falcao, Hummels, Neymar, Gotze etc)

Amazing 1st season going on.. 30 games played and leading the league in goal diffrence with 65 poits. It seems that this is going to be either me or Manchester City since rest are 10 points behind.

Domestic cups.. knocked out but still going strong in EURO cup!

How are you getting 18m from fulham for downing. In my save I let the DoF try to sell him and he doesnt even get a sniff for 7.5m. Is there a way to have it for 48 months from the DoF?

I did it before hiring a DoF, when you're offering him out to clubs have the immediate transfer set to 0 and then £18-20m over 48 months, Fulham should always come in with it

Season 2012/2013 review

The winners of Premier League were Manchester City. We did put up an good fight but in the end finished 2 points behind them.

Definately an good season.

We are back into Champions League, almost won the title, the kids are developing nicely (Butland, Coates Robinson, Wisdom, Kelly, Suso, Sterling, Borini and Yesil).

Premier League: 2nd (26w-4d-8l) 82 pts

FA Cup: 3rd round

Capital One cup: 3rd round

EURO Cup: Quarter finals

Top league scorer: Luis Suarez 31

Top league assits: Raheem Sterling 19

Av Rat: Luis Suarez 7.65

Main transfers

In: Jovetic, Nainggollan and Butland.

Out: Cole, Henderson, Downing, Doni, Jones and few others.

It depends how much money the board gives me. Would like to add couple of quality signings but the focus will with the own youth.

I'am hoping to get around 50 million spending money. I might even off load few veterans to add that sum up.

I was given 4 year contract extension with 64 000£ salary due to the succesfull first season in the club.

Tiredness is kicking me in the jaffa's at the minute, but managed another few matches tonight:

EUR FC Red Bull Salzburg 0-2 Liverpool (Agger, Lucas)

PRM Stoke 0-0 Liverpool

LC Man Utd 0-0 Liverpool (Liverpool win 4-2 on pens)

PRM Liverpool 2-0 West Brom (Shelvey, Borini)

EUR Liverpool 3-1 Trabsonspor (Sterling, Suso, Gerrard)

Off to bed lads. Pick up on a little more tomorrow.

I did continue to the off season. The board gave me 50 million transfer funds with ambition to title challenge.

Nice! Allthough that means I need to deliver the goods as well.

I made few transfers and still have 35 million left in the bank...

Transfers:

In: Isco (Malaga), Götze (Borussia Dortmund)

Out: Carroll, Assaidi, Spearing, Carragher (free), Pacheco.

I did change the formation into 4-2-3-1 (with three AMC's and no wingers) in january. That seemed to work nicely so we will continue using it. Scoring a lot goals but conceding maybe a bit more. All the same since we are winning games.

The squad for the upcoming season:

GK: Reina, Butland

LB: Enrique, Robinson

RB: Johnson, Flanagan, Kelly and Wisdom.

CD: Skrtel, Agger, Coates

MC: Nainggoilan, Lucas, Shelvey and Allen

AMC: Jovetic, Götze, Isco, Gerrrard, Suso and Sterling

SC: Suarez, Borini and Yesil

I willl continue to give a lot minutes to our own youngsters but had to shop some additions since CL means a lot of games. Also don't intend drop out of cups that early this season.

Also will stick with Reina at least for another season. He can mentor Butland who is not ready yet to be number 1 goalie.

I might sell Enrique and Johnson to abroad as well and replace them with new and better players.

You guys have good suggestions for "young" (Max age of 26) FB'/CDs??? ...also would love to recruit some young talent into reserves / youth team?? .. with sensible price tags ofcourse.

There are more than +30m left in the transfer funds... and more if if I sell Johnson, Enrique and maybe Skrtel.

I started again for the 5th time not giving up by far the hardest version of Football Manager ive played

I would not say hardest but most random definately in terms of tactics.

Try the setup I described with flat 4, 2 mc, 3 amc and st.

At least for me it did deliver even better than using wingers and you should have players for that formation avallable from the get go.

Did you get Gotze because he requested a transfer?

He was not transfer requested as I know. Actually just added him and Isco into transfer list and waited.

DOF negotiated and just accepted the transfers! Both have a bit high salaries for my taste but hopefully well worth it.

I would not have even moved for him if DOF had succeeded signing Gaston Ramirez from relegated Southampton. He went to Tottenham so moved in for Götze.

I started again for the 5th time not giving up by far the hardest version of Football Manager ive played

I'd agree with you on this one being the hardest, on last years game I could win the league in the first season without buying a player at the start, can't see that happening on this game just yet. Doesn't help that players like Gerrard, Reina and Suarez have all had their attributes lowered

I prefer the challenge of it being harder, I used to get bored if I won the title first season, it took away the challenge. I want to do this properly and build up a youth system that will make us self sustaining and enable a marquee signing every year, build a dynasty like Barca rather than giving up after a couple of seasons because the challenge isn't there.

My tactics evolved a little bit in terms of roles and after about 10 games I did a manual override on the tempo which I think really helped. From December onwards my tactics were the same each match home and away with good results.

s1tactics.png

After an awful start things finally clicked, hopefully the graph below offers some encouragement for those of you that are having the same kind of difficult start I had.

s1progress.png

On to season two, I need to strengthen both wing positions and might try and sign Sahin who was probably my best CM.

Cheers for posting that mate. I'm interested in the fact that you had success playing with a very similar formation to the one I prefer, almost down to the player roles too. It gives me hope that my problems are due to team cohesion rather than my tactical ineptitude.

If you don't mind, I might copy your settings just to see how I get on - though it will be with more or less the original players as I prefer not to make mass changes to the squad. Out of curiosity, have you change any individual player settings?

Don't get me wrong, I like that it's harder, in fm 2012 I have kuyt getting 17 goals from the left in a 4-2-3-1 and maxi hitting around 18 assists from the amc position just by setting it to fluid, control and things like short passing. Be interesting to see how long it'll take to start dominating though.

I like it harder as well but with some formations the results are a bit random.

The current setup I got seems quite solid after about 20 games. Intresting to see how well it plays out on the 2nd season.

Actually hoping to get title in the upcoming season or at least be very close to it.

Archived