FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

Giroud as Target Man / ATTACK, got me 30 goals in a season with him, in a 451 with walcott on the right wing with winger attack, and Yarmolenko on the left with winger attack.

@Mattyd, does height play a role in this incarnation of FM? because i was told in previous FM Threads(for 2010/2011 FM) that height and weight are not a factor in determining outcomes in the match engine.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@steveuk, im not to sure, because in the last fm, i used to sign jagielka nd he would score 15 goals a season, in this 1 even with vermaelen, kos and burdisso they dont seem to score much, yet burdisso is 6 foot 2, heading ability of 19 and jumping of 15 but last year he scored 2, i dont think height plays much in this one but i know with pace and acc in a poacher definately do. but i guess the only way u can find out is by playing it in 3d and watching to see if it does make a difference, i only play it with commentary

@steveuk, im not to sure, because in the last fm, i used to sign jagielka nd he would score 15 goals a season, in this 1 even with vermaelen, kos and burdisso they dont seem to score much, yet burdisso is 6 foot 2, heading ability of 19 and jumping of 15 but last year he scored 2, i dont think height plays much in this one but i know with pace and acc in a poacher definately do. but i guess the only way u can find out is by playing it in 3d and watching to see if it does make a difference, i only play it with commentary

I remember reading about FM12, the jumping attribute was directly linked to the height of the player. So although height doesn't matter directly, it's directly linked to another stat that does have an influence.

Actually, I've just found the article... http://testsitethingy.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/fm12-what-makes-a-player-good-at-headers/

Just changed to 2D match engine, let's see if it makes a difference and if the 3D engine is really bugged!

I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. I still concede stupid crosses where my full back drifts in to the striker, leaving their winger completely free for a tap in on the back post and usually 4 men marking a single central striker.

afcintroduction.png

Monthly Update | Pre-Season and August;

As ever, the season begins with a pre-season campaign. I cancelled the majority of pre-arranged friendlies and scheduled my own. I decided that a tour to the Far East would be beneficial, as well as challenging friendlies versus LOSC Lille and Nürnberg. Here's how they went;

afcfriendlies.png

All in all, it was a good pre-season. Good results against the likes of LOSC Lille and Nürnberg proved we can compete, while the more comprehensive win against Malaysian side Persma showcased our goalscoring prowess. With every available member of the first-team getting invaluable game time, I also took this opportunity to bleed in some of the younger players - Nico Yennaris, Ignasi Miquel and Thomas Eisfeld were regular participants throughout our pre-season. This pre-season offered a good challenge ahead of our

Arsenal | Formation & Starting XI;

433startofseason.png

First of all, here's the starting XI and formation used for our first competitive game in the Barclays Premier League. With a whole host of players out, I've had to pick wisely. Aaron Ramsey's pre-season form earned him a starting spot; Abou Diaby had to be content with a place on the bench. The centre-back battle is developing into a good one. Laurent Koscielny, one of our better players, had a far better pre-season, but I felt obliged to start my captain - Thomas Vermaelen.

19.8.2012 | Barclays Premier League;

West Ham United - 1 (Carroll 55')

Arsenal - 1 (Giroud 90')

After a good pre-season, we travelled to East London with little fear and a good sense of optimism. Despite a lack of penetration, we did well. Ultimately, a point at Upton Park, in the opening stages of the English season, is a good one. It was Andy Carroll's goal - a tap-in from 6 yards - who opened the scoring. Our striker and new signing, Olivier Giroud, clinched us a good point; his point blanc volley rifled past Jüssi Jääskelainen. Gervinho, an 81st minute substitute, could've won it.

25.8.2012 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 4 (Mertesacker 12', Giroud 26', 49', 53')

Norwich City - 1 (Morison '18)

Following on from our promising performance at Upton Park, we put in an ever better one against Chris Hughton's Norwich side. Per Mertesacker's first Arsenal goal got the ball rolling, but Steve Morison, with his only shot, struck almost immediately back. From that moment on, we controlled the game - something shown by the FT score line. Olivier Giroud's three goals certainly eased the pressure on my team to succeed our first home match of the season. A right-footed shot, a fine near post header and a 6-yard volley earned the burly Frenchman his first hat-trick in Arsenal colours. Well Done, Olivier.

Summer Transfer Window | 2012/'13 season

In's;

To make the game more realistic, I disable transfer budgets in the opening transfer window of the save; as this is the most realistic way to do so. Instead of signing players, I used this time to arrange my scouting assignments and compile shortlists of players, young and old, who all interest me.

Out's;

CHUKS ANEKE MK Dons | 2-month loan deal

The young Nigerian youth international may or may not have a future at Arsenal. I'm, as of now, undecided on his potential ability and what he could bring to the metaphorical table. The tall, muscular central midfielder's Arsenal future could be determined during his loan spell at nPower League 1 side MK Dons. He should do well.

CRAIG EASTMOND Charlton Athletic | 12-month loan deal

Craig Eastmond is nothing but a drain on Arsenal's resources. With Charlton offering to pay 50% of Eastmond's weekly wage, I allowed him to leave on a season-long loan. I believe his Arsenal contract expires in the Summer of 2013.

Anything Else?

UEFA Champions League - the Groups have been drawn...

uefachampionsleaguegrou.png

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with this group. We've shown that we can beat LOSC Lille, at the Stadé Grande Lille Métropole, during pre-season; while both Ajax and Málaga harbour great talents, but nothing too daunting. Not only will this group give me a good chance of progression in the UEFA Champions League, but it will also allow me to cast an interested gaze over possible transfer targets - Isco, Christian Eriksen, Viktor Fischer and Lucas Digne all spring to mind.

By no means will it be easy, though. The Amsterdam ArenA is always a tough place to visit, as is Málaga's La Rosaleda. With this group players, and the form they've shown so far, we should clinch a qualification spot.

I hope you all enjoyed my first Monthly Update of my save. I'm looking forward to continuing this feature in the Arsenal thread. Best of luck, Gooners!

Why does everything stop working from January onwards in every single season? Seriously?

3rd season now, and in every season so far results and performances have been great until the second half of the season, and then it all falls apart!

Are you adjusting your mental approach? Trying to reduce pressure instead? Accounting for worse pitches and weather conditions?

i have found that team talks and regular individual talking to players is quite important in this years game.

at least one a month, i would talk to players individually and praise or criticize based on the recent 5-game form. Even critising seems to "react well" with players boosting their morale.

im still undefeated in all competitions coming up to the end of Feb 2013! :D

jack wilshere had back to back hattricks for england then for me recently. top scorer for my side from IF-A position. my strikers are all duds. going to sell off walcott, giroud and poddie at the end of the season as i have cavani comng in.

As I've been managing Chesterfield, I've been poaching some of the Arsenal youth once they've been released. As a top half Championship side, I currently have 3 ex Arsenal players in my first XI, and I have sold 2 others, one due to underperforming (Eisfeld, went to BSP, he won't make it far in this current save) and one due to overperforming (Sanchez Watt).

If anyone could compare mine to yours that'd be great, I'm currently in Oct 2016.

0f9b200ef3d5e34074ea9d69497aa284.png

cd7520b456d34a32c3e71e6f19dc6b5e.png?1353019629

71b7b4af7761bb36c663a251d6c7eb5a.png?1353019678

3cf4513acc25eca7d507abab8a1e35d4.png?1353019740

Well done!

Would love to see screenshots of the tactic, I've toyed with the idea of a 3 back for next season.

Sure, here it is:

uyxQSl.jpg

I do most of my tinkering during the match with shouts, however I do set Jenkinson to hug the touchline and cross often. Sometimes I'll set the CM-S run from deep to rarely if I find the box is getting too congested.

I've kept him so far but I really don't appreciate how poor he is at judging ability and potential. I think we may have to part ways before our 2nd season.

I've just beaten Swansea in the COC Final to bring a trophy back to the Emirates after far too long.

It's also just turned March, which means regens begin and I'm making some early signings of 15/16 year olds. My youth intake had nothing better than 2 stars and has been a real flop, my scouting network has returned some more promising options which I'm trying to immediately tie down. Unfortunately, I've already lost out on a couple to offers from their current club but I've made a good few signings too. I may add some screenshots once some more contracts are finalised and work permits granted.

Started my 3rd Arsenal save few days ago and did just okay, nothing more. Finished second in the league, got knocked out against Juventus straight after the Group Stage in the Champions League and did not manage to get far in either of the Cup in England. My main transfer target from the beginning was Luis Suárez and he ended up as the topscorer of the Barclays Premier League. There were some players in the team that had to leave as they did not fit into my tactic, playing 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMC's meant that Gervinho (p/EX), Walcott (20m) left the team, I also got rid of Arshavin (7.5m), A.Santos (4.5), Chamakh (6.5m), Giroud (6m) including some leftovers, total of 46.5m. This meant I had to get some players in and here they are:

2jczw1t.jpg

With the transfer of Joe Hart I now clearly have the best pair of Goalkeepers in the game. Isco had a very good season and so did Ba (thinking about selling him if I get an offer of 20m+). Nainggolan also had a decent season and I'm sure Frimpong won't be disapointed after being tutored by him, got his Determination going from 11 to 16 in one season. I sold Gordon for 800k in January because of Hart, I think that's something I won't regret...

Here are the players that got the highest avg. rat in the team, was very surprised by Johan Djourou as he came into the starting lineup after I threw Vermaelen into the left back. Surely a great 4th choice in the defence.

v444jp.jpg

As I said in the beginning I played 4-2-3-1 without wingers and there I had a midfield combined of Isco, Cazorla and Wilshere, not so bad. Arteta and Nainggolana playing behind them. Suárez was my main striker but it was very hard to leave Ba on the bench as you can see. I did not change anything in Team Instructions as I wanted to try it a little more basic.

23uwz74.jpg

I started the season with two very disappointing defeats vs. Swansea and Stoke. I really did think about quitting the game and start a new save but decided to give it a try for at least a month. Went on a fine run after that and it wasn't until at the end of the season I screwed it up. 5 losses in 6 games in Feb/March meant that I was out of the FA and the Champions League including a start of a poor run in the League. Man Utd won the title 3 points ahead of me (they also won the Champions League). Not a bad decision for the bloody 'you know who'...

The young boys got their chance in the League Cup and I won't judge them too hard for undeservedly losing against Man City's 1st team.

3461gqu.jpg

I'm pleased with securing the second place in the League but the other competitions were a disappointment. I managed to make it another year without a trophy but I'm sure I won't have to wait long! I'll update again soon!

OK, I'm up to the 30th March in my first season and have completed 8 youth signings so far. A couple more I haven't been able to successfully negotiate and 1 failed a work permit. Total spend on these is about £10m...some of their wage demands are quite high for someone so young, but I have a reasonable budget to play with and no plans to make any landmark signings.

ScreenShot2012-11-16at010944.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011005.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011019.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011032.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011050.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011102.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011117.png

ScreenShot2012-11-16at011203.png

Won my UEFA Champions League Final with a 2-0 win over Manchester United. A German-themed win at Wembley, as a header from Mertesacker, and a near post finish for Podolski earned us the trophy, as well as some superb defending!

I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. I still concede stupid crosses where my full back drifts in to the striker, leaving their winger completely free for a tap in on the back post and usually 4 men marking a single central striker.

Yeah, there was no noticeable difference, I've gone back to 3D now! The nostalgia factor of the 2D engine was cool for a few games though :cool:

Are you adjusting your mental approach? Trying to reduce pressure instead? Accounting for worse pitches and weather conditions?

My assistant does all team talks and press conferences so I have no real control over pressure, in regards to tactics I've restricted the full backs a bit and reduced some forward runs in the team but it isn't really helping... even Falcao's scoring rate has dropped :eek:

Anyone had it in them to get rid of Steve Bould and get someone like Cruyff in?

First thing I did, I just signed Bould back as a coach though :)

I just played Reading away - First game if the season.

Absolutely dominated - Ramsey got a Hatrick and Jenkinson scored 2 and set up 2.

Subotic added one in injury time for good measure.

Just thought it was weird Jenks got 2 - Plus one was a sublime chip from 18 yards.

I just cannot get on with FM13. I really think the ME is bugged and needs a patch or two - the players just don't seem to follow basic instructions...

I am going to wait for a patch or two and come back to this...

Annoyed...

They are working on the ME patch mate, hopefully out soon, there is fewer bugs in the 2D engine if you don't mind using that.

@Matt, i put him on a shortlist once but i go for Demba Ba over him for the lesser value and slightly better stats, course Demba's natural fitness is the gamble.

I just cannot get on with FM13. I really think the ME is bugged and needs a patch or two - the players just don't seem to follow basic instructions...

Annoyed...

It's funny when I see posts like this, I'm having no such trouble. I ask them to play short/long, to feet/head, push up/drop deep and they do it all. Ok, FBs do leave the man on the back post as the cross comes in and very occasionally my winger will run from their corner flag to the edge of my own box but aside from that (and temperamental players from team talks) I haven't experienced any of these problems.

If you post a screenshot of your tactic overview, team, and any individual player settings you've tweaked perhaps we can help iron out the problems you're experiencing :)

Season Update

We're 31 games into the Premier League season and currently sitting top on 77 points, having won 24, drawn 5 and lost 2. City are in 2nd place on 74 points, having won 22, drawn 8 and lost just 1. Way down in 3rd are Chelsea on 59 points having played 32 games. Both City and myself have conceded just 20 goals, but City have scored 71 compared to my 68 so could edge it on goal difference at this stage if it comes down to it. A top 3 finish is mathematically guaranteed, and a top 2 finish looks all but wrapped up. It looks as though it's going to go to the wire for the title though. We are yet to play City for the 2nd time this season so that could prove to be the crucial clash. Fortunately that match is a home fixture for us.

We beat FC Bayern in the first quarter final leg of the CL at home with an impressive 5-1 performance. If we hold on to that lead away from home we will play either Man U or Barcelona in the semis. Cavani is cup tied for this competition which leaves us a little handicapped this season, so I expect a loss in the semi finals.

With the 2nd leg in mind I chose to field a young side in the premier league away game to Reading. We only just squeezed a 1-0 win with some touch defending, but it allowed Butland, Shaw and Zouma to all make their debuts with the club. Zouma looks set to be a fan favourite after powering a header from a corner home whilst being marked by 2 of the opposition.

Youth transfers are continuing to go well, with a real emphasis on bringing them through the ranks next season.

Xhaka's attributes have inexplicably declined the last month so I've had a word with him about his performance in training and he's agreed to work harder.

Fellaini is a temperamental man to handle in team talks. He's always the sole person to switch off or become angered by what I say and he took his grievances straight to the media the first instance there was a problem. I've promised him to work on my team talks in the coming months but it could ultimately be reason for him to get sold if he won't come around to respecting what I say. He's also rather prone to picking up yellow cards, as is Xhaka, and their suspensions are rather frustrating to deal with. Xhaka in particularly was banned for a further 2 matches on review of a violent tackle he made early in a CL game.

Annoyed...

It is very bugged, and this is the first FM where I've actually noticed bugs!

Goalkeeper distribution is definitely bugged

And I'm pretty sure closing down is bugged

Those are the most noticeable for me, but there's probably more.

managed to sort my tactics out finally!

my arsenal save is going well, played 5, won 4 lost 1

i beat west ham 2-1 away, chelsea 2-0 at home, wigan 3-1 at home, lost 2-0 away to everton (bad tactics :( ) and managed to beat utd away 1-0 with rvp missing 2 glorious chances.....which is an extra bonus! in the cl i beat aek 4-0 and in the league cup i beat hull 5-2 with adryan scoring 2 on his debut

vermaelen and cazorla are scoring alot of goals, i havent changed the corner settings but i seem to score alot from them and set pieces

transfer wise i bought in m'vila - 24 million all together with 48 month fee and after 30 games fee

ba for 7 million (lukas has broken his leg in a germany friendly and is out for 4 months)

santon for 13 million

adryan for 2.5 million

i also bought in a few young players for minimum fee releases

just sold squillaci, santos, and chamakh for about 15 million and looking to offload fabianski (replace with butland) and djourou (would love caulker but he's a spurs player....) at the end of the year and rosicky when he get's 'fit'

i have a few players i would love to buy as i want a starting 11 somewhat like this in the future

...............cavani/falcao/damiao (all mad expensive! never bought any of them before either)

ox....................adryan.............theo

...................jw....m'vila

gibbs........caulker...kos/verm.....santon/jenks

........................chez/butland

Our seasons got off to a good start, accumulating a healthy 7 points after 3 games, but something rather unexpected - and quite frankly disappointing - has cropped up;

theowalcottcontractcris.png

I certainly wasn't expecting it. I was biding my time somewhat about his contract extension, but it seems Walcott's patience has run out. Theo Walcott's stance was further reaffirmed by his agent, who rejected a proposal to discuss a new contract. Of course, I will try to renew his contract before the January transfer window; if nothing has developed, he will be sold and replaced.

Our seasons got off to a good start, accumulating a healthy 7 points after 3 games, but something rather unexpected - and quite frankly disappointing - has cropped up;

I certainly wasn't expecting it. I was biding my time somewhat about his contract extension, but it seems Walcott's patience has run out. Theo Walcott's stance was further reaffirmed by his agent, who rejected a proposal to discuss a new contract. Of course, I will try to renew his contract before the January transfer window; if nothing has developed, he will be sold and replaced.

If you can't sort out his contract before January then clubs won't have to offer you a transfer fee at all, non-English clubs will be able to offer him a contract direct.

doh! i just had that come up with coquelin and i dont really wanna lose him but he refuses to even talk about it, and denilson did it to me so i sold him for £1mill to wolves, wait till november and see what happens, constantly talk to him and praise and stuff might help him like u enough to sign a new deal

Unlucky! I instantly offered him a contract as soon as I started the game.

If he plays well and you praise him so he's happy you may be able to re-enter negotiations. I'm not sure if you can do something in the talk to player option to try and convince him to consider your offer.

Generally, waiting with contract offers never works. They seem to ask for more to stay and are more likely to want to leave the closer to the end of their contract they get. I always offer a new deal to anyone I may want to keep once they're in their final year.

Have they ramped up the difficulty this year or do I just suck? For varying reasons, I've started and restarted Arsenal saves about 4 times since I got the game on Wednesday, and from a total of 12 league games from those saves, I have a grand total of 1 win, 6 draws and 5 losses!!! Anyone else having trouble finding their feet? Can't work out what I'm doing wrong :(

You certainly spared no expense with a lot of those purchases so early on!

haha i'm sick of arsenal not spending in real life so screw it!

i want a monster team, i have my usual crewe game on the go as well! definitely can't spend with them lol

Archived