Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, just a quick question:

how can I raise a player's determination without tutoring?

I like high determination and high work rate players across the board but I have a model pro newgen that don't want to risk changing his personality to raise his determination.

cheers in advance

It rises with age.

I know. But the first person you tutor is the only one who sees a change in his hidden attributes, the others don't get the benefit. Either way it was 100% a bug and was bugged again in FM13 but was fixed in one of the patches.

Okay, we're still at cross purposes I think. In FM10 I can set one player to tutor any number of tutees and each tutee has the chance of a successful outcome. This is not now possible in FM14?

Okay, we're still at cross purposes I think. In FM10 I can set one player to tutor any number of tutees and each tutee has the chance of a successful outcome. This is not now possible in FM14?

We aren't at cross purposes I gave you the answer in my very first reply and every answer since. It's not possible :)

It rises with age.

Sorry for the double post, but just spotted your reply that Determination rises with age. I've never heard of this before is it at a set amount over a given period of time or dependant on certain criteria eg personality, game time, ingame events etc?

Are there any other attributes that now improve this way?

Sorry for the double post, but just spotted your reply that Determination rises with age. I've never heard of this before is it at a set amount over a given period of time or dependant on certain criteria eg personality, game time, ingame events etc?

Are there any other attributes that now improve this way?

It's always been the case that it can rise with age. And no there is no set amount that it can raise by, some players can raise it quite high and others not so much so each player is different. I believe on one version (either FM10 or FM11) it didn't work as intended. But every version since then its been working as intended.

It's always been the case that it can rise with age. And no there is no set amount that it can raise by, some players can raise it quite high and others not so much so each player is different.

Well, you (I) learn something new every day. I always put it down to tutoring because I don't remember ever seeing an older player's (25+) Determination improve. Thanks.

Well, you (I) learn something new every day. I always put it down to tutoring because I don't remember ever seeing an older player's (25+) Determination improve. Thanks.

Tutoring does alter determination too if the tutor has higher than the tutee.

I's pointless discussing it if you can't provide evidence so I suggest leaving it now.

If and when it happens again feel free to restart the discussion with a PKM supporting your claims.

I'm really disappointed that 4 people who have claimed similar things in the last week or so have been unable to provide a PKM yet can throw screenshots about like there is no tomorrow. It's disheartening to see people post about stuff and then not back it up with actual visuals so we can take a look and then submit a proper bug report if we think its an issue :(

this a repost from bug forums you can find the match in database it's "eskisehir v besiktas"

00:21 gökhan töre should cross the ball much earlier but instead waits and bounces the ball off the defender for a throw in

02:14 Töre should again cross the ball or at least pass it to grimaldo but instead he drops it for a goal kick(this pattern including a winger getting to the byline only to be closed down by defenders happens way too many times no matter what tactic or combination players apply)

03:20 a much less skilled player Çek is able to cross the ball easily

04:00 entire minute is full of sliding tackles applied to player who has much better crossing and dribbling abilities not too mention time and space(at least that's the way it's shown on 3d ME)

05:00 assale should have easily recieved that pass(although we might rule this out as a simple mistake on his part) but in the position that follows, grimaldo refrains from tackling even when instructed so Başşan gets easily inside the box

06:06 Sekic should put it in easily but is one again perfectly slide-tackled,an after that another perfect sliding tackle

08:30 strange throw in animation and oposition teams usually applies long throws(2 goals i conceded earlier in game vs PSG even though i had a 201 giant defender-best in the world too)

09:20 again sliding tackle against a fast dribbler and ball conveniently hits the corner post

09:57 again the sliding tackle

11.30 Töre shouldn't need to head the ball away but rather start a counter-attack using his superior pace and dribbling skills

12:20 Töre should pass tho grimaldo who overlaps in to a perfect position but he waits

12:40 sliding tackle

13.29 Bulut slide tackles and tries to intercept a ball sent to his own teammate-which may further be an evidence of excessive sliding tackling

13:59 Töre simply passes the ball beyond the line for no apparent reason

15:00 Töre should get that ball but it's Assale who was in an unadvantageous position which ends in losing tha possession

18:10 grimaldo pass good passing skills but instead of passing the ball to Töre he shoots it again beyond the corner line

19:15 töre should control the ball not give it away and he has technical capabilities to at least try

20:19 Avcı puts in into corner why? against he can initiate a counter attack

26:28 again two man sliding tackle team (BTW i instructed to exploit the middle

27:17 no reason for balanta to make a back pass to he keeper, Töre is in the open

28:05 Argon should make a run for that through ball instead retreated back and he is a very pacey striker

31:30 Sekic should pass a through ball to Argon (sekic has superb passing capabilities and creatitv to match but he just waits)

33:20 a stupid attacking move

33:39 again two man closing down and no one is coming to help him it ends in a goal kick -Grimaldo is very fast and has great crossing skills he just moves to the byline(he was not insructed to do so)

34:30 avcı should overlap and sekic who makes a run is too easliy closed down he should make a low pass to argon who then sould apply the finish but this kind of play is rarely seen after FM12

35:02 again sliding tackle and not crossing

35:26 Grimaldo-who has great crossing skills should cross the ball to one of many players in the box but instead he plays it to hernandez

36:46 Argon should easliy outrun the defender since he is way to faster and should apply a tidy finish befitting his finishing skills and perhaps even get past the keeper(the way forwards were actually able to do in fm09 through fm12) although an argument can be made saying even the best striker can waste good oppurtunities but these things happens way too many times

37:30 hernandez is 201 and has great jumping and heading skills and should be able to put that in very easily

39:15 it's not necessary for the whole team to drop back as fast as they can for there is no danger(this happened a few times more earlier in the match)

40:06 sekic should pass the ball to januzaj who is making a run behind the defence but get slide tackled

40:43 again grimaldo should cross, and not do whatever he did

40:50 bulut shouldn't take a shot(as he was told not to) but dribble and create a chance and yes he too has the skills

42:35 this kind of positions should end in goals keepers should cease to be ball magnets.

43:50 Töre should pass to grimaldo who overlaps

43:58 Grimaldo should have crossed not varry the ball to byline(this is getting frustrating)

45:24 again defenders pulling the ball to himself

46:16 cross the ball please

this is just the first half if i have time i will report the second

Tutoring will have a major impact on it, so if you can: tutor them! Otherwise you could end up with only a few points rise after all.

cheers Steve, want to avoid tutoring as I don't want to lose the model pro personality, and have no model pros that can tutor him.

he's 14 determination now so a couple of points increase is just fine for me

Model pro is better than high determination, imo.

Mine too, I think we're arguing the same point, sorry for the confusion.

Hes already Model Pro so I dont want to lose this by tutoring him with someone who is determined just to get his determination up.

I would, however, like to find a way to increase his determination without risking the Model Pro personality, hence the original question.

Cheers

guys?

anyone?

It all depends, using OI's can be risky and cause your team to lose its overall shape especially if you use closing down or tight marking. If using them then you need to make sure your players are actually capable of having those instructions.

Hes already Model Pro so I dont want to lose this by tutoring him with someone who is determined just to get his determination up.

I would, however, like to find a way to increase his determination without risking the Model Pro personality, hence the original question.

Cheers

It'll rise with age with some luck :)

Cheers

We where, I was just confirming I agreed with you 100%. :)

Tutoring does alter determination too if the tutor has higher than the tutee.

I'd be very interested to hear the reasoning behind Determination rising with age. Have you ever seen/heard an explanation from SI why this mechanism exists within the game when it is not noted as a consequence of real life aging?

Edit: just spotted this:-

It'll rise with age with some luck :)
so forget the above question.

Cheers

xxx

I tried to make my DLF-A's move better in my 343 (the central striker is a TQ) and gave them the Move into Channels instruction before a match. I must be sleepy or something because I forgot all about it and for several matches I was lucky to win against anyone. A match ended like 6 vs 16 shots and then I suddenly realised the instruction had been on the whole session. Worst I have seen.

Anyways, am I right to assume that the Move into Channels instruction makes the striker move laterally on the offside line between the defenders? I wanted them to move wider and deeper to receive the ball.

Will this mean that a two-striker system where both are moving into channels is flawed as they will both refrain from dropping deep even when their role is not that attacking?

I tried to make my DLF-A's move better in my 343 (the central striker is a TQ) and gave them the Move into Channels instruction before a match. I must be sleepy or something because I forgot all about it and for several matches I was lucky to win against anyone. A match ended like 6 vs 16 shots and then I suddenly realised the instruction had been on the whole session. Worst I have seen.

Anyways, am I right to assume that the Move into Channels instruction makes the striker move laterally on the offside line between the defenders? I wanted them to move wider and deeper to receive the ball.

Will this mean that a two-striker system where both are moving into channels is flawed as they will both refrain from dropping deep even when their role is not that attacking?

It's vertical movement.

It's vertical movement.

It is? Why did the whole attacking game stop then? The difference was extreme and had defensive consequences as well (loss of possession I assume). Once I removed it, the strikers again dropped deep to get the ball and invited others into play like they should (and must).

It is? Why did the whole attacking game stop then? The difference was extreme and had defensive consequences as well (loss of possession I assume). Once I removed it, the strikers again dropped deep to get the ball and invited others into play like they should (and must).

Honestly I have no idea why the attack play stopped. Have you watched the games back to see why? It could have been a knock on effect from asking them to move into channels meaning the normal link up play was slightly disjointed and not as fluid as normal. Normally something small that seems unimportant can have a big negative impact if its a vital cog in how you've set up and how the whole tactic works.

I did something similar recently with my striker, I asked him to hold position and my average of 4 goals a game over 42 games suddenly began to dry up because he was no longer roaming. I did it for a one off game because he didn't have the space to roam in this particular game but out of character I saved the tactic with the new changes in it. And for about 10 games I wanted to ram my head against the wall because I couldn't figure out what had changed. Viewing the games back I soon realised just how vital a little shift to the right or left was for the way I play.

Maybe you experienced something similar?

Honestly I have no idea why the attack play stopped. Have you watched the games back to see why? It could have been a knock on effect from asking them to move into channels meaning the normal link up play was slightly disjointed and not as fluid as normal. Normally something small that seems unimportant can have a big negative impact if its a vital cog in how you've set up and how the whole tactic works.

I did something similar recently with my striker, I asked him to hold position and my average of 4 goals a game over 42 games suddenly began to dry up because he was no longer roaming. I did it for a one off game because he didn't have the space to roam in this particular game but out of character I saved the tactic with the new changes in it. And for about 10 games I wanted to ram my head against the wall because I couldn't figure out what had changed. Viewing the games back I soon realised just how vital a little shift to the right or left was for the way I play.

Maybe you experienced something similar?

Yeah, much the same thing, really. I thought Move into channels meant that he would move wider. Once I took it off the first highlight I see is where the left striker gets the ball in the wide AMLC spot just where I thought he would move more often with this change...

Yo.

So I'm running with this formation. The player roles vary depending on who is fit, but my ideal XI are in there.

e90313681c34d03d4a41e476e9311f70.png

I'm trying to have the team play a reserved possession game in their own half/on the halfway line and then have the Regista play through balls for any of the attacking 4.

Chances have been up and down depending on opposition and so has possession.

200a601cddc1295c9f6502ed30429b60.pngcf370fc0eaa7262f96cffdfc2f104250.png

Final scores are in red.

My first observation is that my shot on target ratio is largely less than 50%. Second is how low my possession is. I have used the "Retain Possession" shout in the first 4 games, not for the Krasnodar and Spartak games.

Not sure what I'm really looking for. "How can I keep more possession?" is my main gripe here I think. Can provide screenshots of anything else (shots and locations etc) if needed.

Still trying to know if anybody have been noticing curious movements from both IF's and WB's: frequently one or another have the space to make a through ball, to cross or just run with the ball right through the goal but instead of cuting inside in that direction, they stop and start running to the line :confused:

any way to work around the distribution problem with gk? i try to play possession football but kicking the ball nonstop does not help at all.
I see no issues at all since the update.

What instructions have you given the keeper, and do you use a back four?

Same problem here. I use a back four, my GK has the instruction to pass to a specific player (the left DC, who is on cover duty, thus the deepest player in my formation). The problem seems to be that my players don't stay deep when I have a goalkick although I use "drop deeper".

I will do so, cheers.

Word of advice, if you see a thread started by Cleon, wwfan or Llama3, chances are pretty good they are must-reads. :brock:

Still trying to know if anybody have been noticing curious movements from both IF's and WB's: frequently one or another have the space to make a through ball, to cross or just run with the ball right through the goal but instead of cuting inside in that direction, they stop and start running to the line :confused:

Soem conflicting instructions in your tactic perhaps? Can't say I have seen that sort of behavior with a gelled squad that is familiar with the tactic.

Same problem here. I use a back four, my GK has the instruction to pass to a specific player (the left DC, who is on cover duty, thus the deepest player in my formation). The problem seems to be that my players don't stay deep when I have a goalkick although I use "drop deeper".

Pass to a specific player is noted as being a bit knackered still.

If you change to Distribute To Defenders, you'll see a vast improvement, and hopefully the distribution to specific players will get fixed soon.

Word of advice, if you see a thread started by Cleon, wwfan or Llama3, chances are pretty good they are must-reads. :brock:

Soem conflicting instructions in your tactic perhaps? Can't say I have seen that sort of behavior with a gelled squad that is familiar with the tactic.

i don't think so... unless it's conflicting to instruct the WB's to cross more often / cross from deep and the IF's cross from deep / cross to the middle... as for team instructions I have drill crosses. I don't like to use to many player instructions, just some basic shorter passing / run wide with ball / tackle harder. Team instructions I don't think there is any conflict: work ball into box, play from defence /pass into space / push higher up / roam from positions / hassle opponents / lower tempo

i don't think so... unless it's conflicting to instruct both IF's and WB's to cross or to have drill crosses in team instructions.

it is difficult to judge without a thorough explanation of how you play. Since I don't witness the same things you do, there must be a difference in how we approach things. So there is probably something you can do about it, but I can't tell which instruction it could be, sorry. :)

it is difficult to judge without a thorough explanation of how you play. Since I don't witness the same things you do, there must be a difference in how we approach things. So there is probably something you can do about it, but I can't tell which instruction it could be, sorry. :)

Sorry I was editing my post with some information... do you think there is any conflict with those instructions ?

I'm not even going to ask you why you did that. :D

Maybe your problem warrants its own thread, if you give enough details, I'm sure someone could help you out because, imo, this is a tactical issue that should be quite easily resolved.

lol why I did what ??? go ahead, ask :-)

I think so, it must be easy to solve. I'm not having problems with winning, scoring, nothing like this, it's a little issue and that's why I was trying not to open another thread and solve it right here.

"Head of youth development" -- What does this guy actually do in my club (besides coaching?), and what skills does he need to do that job?

"Director of football" -- I know some of what he does, but what skills does he need?

The HoYD could bring in youngsters for your team, making it important to have one that has a good personality (determination/professionalism,..) and JP.

The DoF's skills are depending on what you want him to do. If I choose have one, it doesn't matter all that much, he's there to sell/release players only.

Situation: Team A has a defensive line to drop deeper or much deeper, Team B has a high defensive line, is controling the match with high possession, shooting and scoring 1 or 2 goals. Next Team A tries to react and sets the defensive line higher, Team B is pushed deeper and Team A starts to create chances.

Question: What does Team B has to do to recover the control of match and keep is high possession ? Lower Tempo ? Stick to Positions ? Play Narrower ?

Cheers

Increase his determination by being strict on him. i found out that warnings and fines for bad performances sometimes increase determination (other times, it's work rate) . an easy way to game this is to play him out of position for 3 reserve games. if he ends up with a rating below 6.0 , first warn him, then fine him. Usually causes said player's determination to go up. Hope this helps.

"Head of youth development" -- What does this guy actually do in my club (besides coaching?), and what skills does he need to do that job?

"Director of football" -- I know some of what he does, but what skills does he need?

Head of youth development has a greater influence on the youth development of your team. He handles the intake of youngsters, so in effect , the better your HoYD, the better the crop of youngsters you take in that year ( dependent on other factors of course : youth recruitment, Junior coaching, scouting knowledge )

Skills needed : Working with youngsters, Level of discipline, motivation, determination and judging player potential.

Skills needed : Working with youngsters, Level of discipline, motivation, determination and judging player potential.

Good personality! If he has good professionalism and determination, it increases the chance of your youngsters to have likewise personalities.

I have read through the post regarding the different roles but cant quite get the difference between DLF-S and F9.

Does the F9 drop deeper into the midfield than DLF-S? Or is the DLF something of a middle thing between F9 and Trequartista?