Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Do the Drill/Float crosses instructions influence players to make more crosses as a whole? Or do they just tell your players, when and if you do cross, do them in this manner?

They just influence the delivery.

So Float is typically a lofted delivery, often to the far post.

Drilled is just a harder hit delivery which will still typically be at head height, and not along the ground as many people assume.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be caused by users who use who use shouts like hassle opponents.

Perhaps that exacerbates the phenomenon, but there seems to be no causal relationship between that shout and central defenders wandering. I've observed it (and seen it reported on these forums) with every possible intensity of pressing, with different conglomerations of central defenders (whether a pair or a trio, whether uniformly defensive or with staggered roles). Further, I doubt that this is the result of user error as the AI defenders behave similarly. You can especially induce these movements, even against a passive defensive line, if you overload the centre, as with a narrow, direct 4231 geared to exploit the middle and send balls over the top.

Perhaps that exacerbates the phenomenon, but there seems to be no causal relationship between that shout and central defenders wandering. I've observed it (and seen it reported on these forums) with every possible intensity of pressing, with different conglomerations of central defenders (whether a pair or a trio, whether uniformly defensive or with staggered roles). Further, I doubt that this is the result of user error as the AI defenders behave similarly. You can especially induce these movements, even against a passive defensive line, if you overload the centre, as with a narrow, direct 4231 geared to exploit the middle and send balls over the top.

I would have to agree with this. I have a 4231 (narrow) formation with two SS's and they tend to benefit big

Time since the patch. I can't help but think this is an explout of the ME even though I don't want it to be so and is how I want to play, although other more realistic through ball, one on ones for my AMs

I don't have many problems in this regard, so there must at least partly be a tactical answer to this. My MC's don't press a lot and keep an nice and deep defending line, maybe that's why my defenders don't push up, leaving gaps. I also haven't any aggressive players who like to get involved as much, maybe that helps too.

My MC's don't press a lot and keep an nice and deep defending line, maybe that's why my defenders don't push up, leaving gaps.

I think this is key. Like you, I don't have many issues here.

With my conventional 4-2-3-1, my very standard CM (Defend) is always well positioned defensively and so prevents these pockets of space from appearing.

His presence alone appears to deter my DCs from stepping up.

I play a 4-2-3-1 with my left wide guy as an Inside Forward and my right wide man as a winger , both on attack duty . My attacking midfielder is on attack duty behind an Advanced forward also an attack .

My Two Central Midfielders are a Deep Lying Playmaker on Defend Duty and a Box to Box midfielder on support .

The Instructions I have are Retain Possesion, Shorter Passing, Hit Early Crosses , Deeper Defensive Line , Roam from Positions , Higher Tempo , Tighter Marking .

My Problem is that when my opposition attacks none of my front four are tracking back defending. I dont expect my Advanced forward to do it and not even my attacking midfielder but my big problem is when the opposition fullbacks attack , there's noone around them as my wide men are not tracking back and my fullback is getting doubled by both the fullback and the wide man or one of my central midfielders is being pulled wide which hurts me in the middle .

Any way to get my Inside forward and my winger to track back ??

Either change them to support, drop them back to the MLR positions or change them to DWs if you want them to help with defending.

I think there is certainly a tactical element at play and I do think the situation is over played in the ME at present. It's easy to reduce like you say by playing deep screening midfielders

I also do think hassle opponents has as big an influence regarding this as has been suggested. I have it on now most of the time and it isn't happening often with me using a cm(d) and dlp(s). I am also playing a high line

Is there anything like familiarity in FMC? Or can I switch tactics completely from match to match?

No tactic familiarity in FMC, which is one of the many bonuses of that mode.

You can switch everything entirely from match to match - formation, Mentality, Fluidity, Team Instructions etc. and not be penalised :)

I think there is certainly a tactical element at play and I do think the situation is over played in the ME at present. It's easy to reduce like you say by playing deep screening midfielders

I also do think hassle opponents has as big an influence regarding this as has been suggested. I have it on now most of the time and it isn't happening often with me using a cm(d) and dlp(s). I am also playing a high line

I think it is actually quite logical and hasn't anything to do with exaggeration of the ME. If only two defenders need to cover two or more players, there will be gaps. Either you need a DMC to form a defensive triangle, or you play the deeper version of the MC on preferably both MC slots.

No tactic familiarity in FMC, which is one of the many bonuses of that mode.

You can switch everything entirely from match to match - formation, Mentality, Fluidity, Team Instructions etc. and not be penalised :)

Thanks for the fast answer :)

That's good news - I changed a lot but my players continue to perform badly. So I know it's my tactics and there is no use of giving them more time. So I continue changing ;)

Thanks for the fast answer :)

That's good news - I changed a lot but my players continue to perform badly. So I know it's my tactics and there is no use of giving them more time. So I continue changing ;)

No problem.

If you continue to struggle, feel free to start a new thread and the community can chip in to try and help you out.

There are very few (any?) FMC tactical threads so far, and it actually makes it harder to assess as there's no Analysis Tab to refer to.

If anything, FMC is harder to play than Simulation mode because of that lack of reference point.

No problem.

If you continue to struggle, feel free to start a new thread and the community can chip in to try and help you out.

There are very few (any?) FMC tactical threads so far, and it actually makes it harder to assess as there's no Analysis Tab to refer to.

If anything, FMC is harder to play than Simulation mode because of that lack of reference point.

Are there any differences in tactics between FM and FMC besides familiarity? Formation, Mentality, Fluidity, Team/Player Instructions and Player Roles work on FMC like they do on FM, don't they?

I will try one last night, if I don't see any progress I definetely will seek for help.

Are there any differences in tactics between FM and FMC besides familiarity? Formation, Mentality, Fluidity, Team/Player Instructions and Player Roles work on FMC like they do on FM, don't they?

I will try one last night, if I don't see any progress I definetely will seek for help.

Match Engine and general tactics are 100% the same between FMC and Sim Mode.

The only match day differences are that you can't set opposition instructions or hold team talks in FMC.

Hello guys,

i've search the forums but didnt not find any attacking corner kicks tutorials from ppl who successfully owned the opposition from the corner. is there any such thread that i missed?

and where can you choose the quality of your uploads.

thank you,

have a great evening.

Anyone here that plays without Higher/Lower tempo?

I do that on my 4-4-2 tactic . It's my main tactic . Only use the 4-2-3-1 against the bigger teams and only when they have a 3 man central midfield when I am afraid of getting overrun.

I will probably have to change that 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-1-1 then because my opposition fullbacks are having a field day with no one to defend them .

If I have three tactics, completely different. Different philosophy, formation, team instructions...and my team becomes fluid in all three...

Does that mean that changing the philosophy or the formation mid match to one from another tactic which is fluid would be totally acceptable? Like, if my players are fluid in attacking on one tactic, can I play attacking with a completely different tactic without any problems?

Does that also work for team instructions regarding width, tempo etc?

I'm pretty low on the food chain myself and only have one tactic. It's almost all fluid! :D

Before I set up other tactics I wanted to know how the whole familiarity thing works so that I know what tactics to create...

i have one question will this partnership working: tm(a) and dlf(a) ?? i asking because i dont know how to set up my juve attack with tevez and lorente!!!

Llorente maybe a TMa with roaming, Tevez a CFs or DFs (I'm assuming he has high work rate, I've not actually seen his attributes) maybe? Two strikers on attack is asking for trouble as they'll get detached from the rest of the team.

i have one question will this partnership working: tm(a) and dlf(a) ?? i asking because i dont know how to set up my juve attack with tevez and lorente!!!

Well, the thing is that it won't really be a partnership. A TM-A is looking for people to put in crosses to his head so he can put a header in on goal, or through balls to his feet so he can turn and shoot. A DLF-A is looking to get the ball in a somewhat deeper position, and then run at the defense and look for a shot for himself.

So, they're not really working together, and very, very few teams can have the luxury of two strikers who are expecting to be the focal point of their teams. :D

This is why most people have one on Attack and one on Support when doing a two-man strike team. In your case I'd keep the TM on attack, and switch the DLF to Support or give him a CF-S role & duty, as Britrock suggested.

I was just wondering how can I stop the opposition putting the ball in behind my full backs as this is what costs me most of my goals against. I play with two Complete Wing Backs although they play in DR and DL positions rather than WBR and WBL. I also have the team on the Push Higher up setting for my defensive line.

I was just wondering how can I stop the opposition putting the ball in behind my full backs as this is what costs me most of my goals against. I play with two Complete Wing Backs although they play in DR and DL positions rather than WBR and WBL. I also have the team on the Push Higher up setting for my defensive line.

This will leave gaps behind your fullbacks. If the opposition scores a lot from them you need to give them a more defensive role or provide more support from the DM, who could fall back in defense giving the DC's a chance to cover for them.

I am playing as Parma with a 4-3-1-2 so not the most secure formation but I always seem to lose goals from through balls or down the flanks crossed in for a tap in. I checked the team comparison page an we're rated 13th for positioning, 12th for tackling and 2nd for marking lol. See if I was to buy players with higher attributes in positioning, decisions etc would this cut down the amount of clear cut chances against me? If I could sort out my defence I would be happy enough with my tactic.

Tactic I used (finished demo so started new game to show team instructions) :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/3ps6.png/

Match stats from two of my games :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/mqj3.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/isyu.png/

Well, the thing is that it won't really be a partnership. A TM-A is looking for people to put in crosses to his head so he can put a header in on goal, or through balls to his feet so he can turn and shoot. A DLF-A is looking to get the ball in a somewhat deeper position, and then run at the defense and look for a shot for himself.

So, they're not really working together, and very, very few teams can have the luxury of two strikers who are expecting to be the focal point of their teams. :D

This is why most people have one on Attack and one on Support when doing a two-man strike team. In your case I'd keep the TM on attack, and switch the DLF to Support or give him a CF-S role & duty, as Britrock suggested.

I don't think the DLF-A role is as selfish as you say. It is a deep-lying forward role and he won't run with the ball very often, and he will look to balance creating chances for others and himself, while a DLF-S will primarily look to create chances for others. An Advanced Forward (AF-A) is different from a DLF-A mainly in that he will do as you said; he wants to be the central focus of the team's attacks, and he is told to run with the ball often. A DLF-A will still be not as far forward as a AF-A.

What's the most productive way to train players, both youngsters to reach their potential and keep the skills up of developed players.

Should i set all workloads to high then drop it for those that complain?

Also should i drop any match training once the season starts and stick to player development?

Thanks in advance!

What's the most productive way to train players, both youngsters to reach their potential and keep the skills up of developed players.

Also should i drop any match training once the season starts and stick to player development?

Thanks in advance!

If a player is developing fine even though he complains about the workload, I have never bothered to lower it and can't remember any negative effects because of that. Some players aren't professional enough to be happy with any form of training.

If I understand it correctly, training does two things; distribute ability points gained through match experience, and maintain match fitness. I am unsure if it is the case that training does not add CA (current ability) at all or if it is just very little, but I am pretty sure that the most important thing is match practice at the highest possible level.

Thanks in advance!

It depends.. I train players using the roles. So for example my strikers are all trained at "complete forward" which trains a LOT of attributes at once, thus their workload will be high. I don't do this until the season begins though, as during preseason I keep the general training low and the match training VERY high so we learn our tactics and get fitness up.

I would say that you just have to be able to tell when a player has peaked, and then after that point maybe just train attributes? Like say you've got Neymar. Training him in one attribute at a time might not be that effective, but training him as a winger or inside forward or whatever would be a great boost. Once Neymar hits say.. 32 years old, perhaps it's time to focus on individual attributes like agility, or pace, or whatever.

You could drop your match training but I would leave at LEAST 10% because I find that the right match prep can help you win games. Especially tough matches. Also note that if your schedule is crowded, so for instance you've got a midweek game and a weekend game, it might help to tone down your general training a bit so the players have a chance to recover. I usually put general training at "average" intensity during the season because their individual workloads are already high (from training roles) and my teams always have midweek games (UCL, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Totally lost without the sliders. How do you know what roles actually do what?

Just dive in and get on with it, that's the best way forward.

Trust the text descriptions and forget about what you think you knew from the slider era.

The new interface is a bit Marmite, but you'll adapt very quickly if you give it a chance.

Trust the text descriptions and forget about what you think you knew from the slider era.

The new interface is a bit Marmite, but you'll adapt very quickly if you give it a chance.

RT is there a thread where it explains how pressing more, hassle opponents and close down affect players ?

Think that's the problem I keep referring back to what I think each role did on the sliders. How have you found it?

This covers a lot of it:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/372207-Things-you-may-or-may-not-know-about-marking.....

But note - Hassle Opponents does not affect Defensive Line!

Ok, I have read the post and although I'm little more clarified, I'm still a bit confused... sorry, sometimes my CPU is slow :-)

So mark tighter keeps defensive shape because our players allow the opponent to come close, close down may be dangerous because it can open gaps in defence although our players press more the opponent with or without the ball (right ?), hassle opponents it's more like a man to man marking without specifying the man to mark.

If this is correct, how can I have always 2 or 3 players pressing wherever the ball is ????