From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

At the start of the game is potential or ability more important? Managing Bala almost every player appears to have 4 or 5 * potential, so how can I tell them apart? Thanks :)

You're career is going awesome, how are the other clubs doing in the Europa cup?

If you can, get them in on trial and take a look at them. Other than that it can just be luck!

The other clubs are usually poor in the Europa League, hopefully that will change sometime soon.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can, get them in on trial and take a look at them. Other than that it can just be luck!

The other clubs are usually poor in the Europa League, hopefully that will change sometime soon.

Too add to what daf said you can also look at scout reports and they will say what league a player has potential for and how good they would be in that league eg. decent, good, leading ect. if you are managing Bala I wouldnt sign anyone who your scout doesnt think has the potential to be a leading welsh premier league player. You can also look at a players key attributes for his position.

I'd also add that CA is important too. Daf has been helping me with this, and from what I understand, you'd want the player's CA to be good enough so that he can get into your team. If not, he won't advance to his potential.

This is something I've found to be very true since I started using his scouting technique. I signed a player with CA 2.5, who was good enough to be used for squad rotation. In just over a year, he's now a 4* rated player. Conversely, I signed s 2* CA player who wasn't really good enough to get first team exposure and as such he's not improved. I think first team football is the biggest contributory to development and training less so.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2044/45

The youth players are starting to come through, so I'm looking to bring them into the first team at some point.

League Table

A few more draws than usual, but still unbeaten.

Domestic Cups - just like last season, we lost one cup final to Glentoran. I think it is about time I took the cups less seriously, once I've got a full squad of local players together I'll give them the cup games.

UEFA Super Cup - an easy win.

FIFA Club World Cup - another easy win.

UEFA Champions League - things were looking great after we came back against PSG, but we blew it by losing our discipline in the second leg against Man City.

Glentoran in Europe - it may have been lucky, but this is exactly the sort of thing I want to see.

Linfield in Europe - they were unlucky in the playoffs, but at least they managed to get out of their Europa League group.

Squad - the squad is huge at the moment as I was trying out a few youngsters. I'll be trimming it down soon.

Reserve Squad - these are the locally produced players, there's only one star in there but the size of the squad is growing.

Transfers - far too much action for one transfer window, but I've been replacing the older players.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - our top scorer again, but I still think we could more from someone else.

Fábio - brought in last season to fill a gap, he's a had a decent year.

Hiltinho - great stuff from the winger.

Steven Lennon - described as a wonderkid, he's the star of my youth setup.

Lisandro - Juric missed a lot of the season through injury, Lisandro took his place easily.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners
2044/45   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners

Next Season

There's still work to be done in the transfer market in replacing the older players and I may have another clearout to get that done. Missing out on the Champions League was a disaster, so we need to try and win that back.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars) - no change

Bourneview - 1st in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 78th in FIFA rankings - up 37

Glentoran - 25th in UEFA coefficients - up 6

Linfield - 44th in UEFA coefficients - down 3

how are the other teams doing in the europa cup?

Linfield beat Parma to get to the group stage (no Champions League qualifiers since we didn't win it)

Ballymena lost to Anji in their first qualifier

Cliftonville beat a team from Latvia then lost badly to Schalke in the qualifiers

Dungannon beat a team from Estonia then lost to St Gallen of Switzerland in the qualifiers

You really need smaller clubs to qualify for Europa League. I had a look and it seems that coefficient of around 30 is needed (depends on who qualifies) to be seeded in fourth qualifying round for EL. How far are Ballymena, Dungannon and Cliftonville from that figure?

How have Athletic Bilbao progressed in the game? Is that left back you bought off them anygood?

Mostly mid table finishes, nothing else of note. The left back I bought from them is still just 17, so he has a few years before he's making the headlines. I'm hoping he will become a first team regular though.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2045/46

With Glentoran making strides in Europe, it was important that we kept our standards up.

League Table

A perfect season.

Domestic Cups - I fielded some very weak sides in the cups, it was surprising we got as far as we did.

UEFA Champions League - it was a struggle as we drew half our games in the group stage then managed two home leg comebacks in France. We hit form in the latter stages, and won the final with two late goals.

Glentoran in Europe - a great year in Europe, making the quarter finals for the second successive year.

Linfield in Europe - they did well to get to the group stage, but lost out in the final match.

Squad - I've trimmed the squad down a bit from last season, which I think has helped. I want to replace the older midfielders, but they are just too good.

Youth Products - a few more players and we will have a full team.

Transfers - the squad was too big last season, so I sold a few players. Some of them were sold on the cheap, but I was desperate to cut the squad down.

Key Player Profiles:

Antonin Guillot - a new top scorer as Flávio missed a few games through injury.

Flávio - probably still our best striker.

Hiltinho - an irreplaceable winger.

Davorin Horvat - picked up for just £5.75m, he provides great cover for both wings.

Hyun Jung-Ho - I don't usually keep players at this age, but he's great.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners
2044/45   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2045/46   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, and Champions League winners

Next Season

Things seem to be improving for Glentoran, but Linfield really need to improve. We need more than two successful clubs to take Northern Ireland to the next level.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars) - no change

Northern Ireland - 8th in UEFA coefficients - up 1

Northern Ireland - 108th in FIFA rankings - down 30

Glentoran - 19th in UEFA coefficients - up 6

Linfield - 43rd in UEFA coefficients - up 1

Do you have a screenshot of how you did set up your game? Because i can't find all the foreign players when i try to start a game like this.

I don't have a screenshot, but all the details are in the opening post. Obviously my game was started on the original database, so the players may be different now.

Scouting knowledge may also make a difference, so the nationality of your manager may have an effect.

What's happened to Linfield? They were better than Glentoran at one time...

I think it s just a lack of ambition. Glentoran seem to have been much better at capitalising on their success, Linfield seem to be a lot more cautious.

You can tell Glentoran have a bit more sense in the transfer market as they have no NI players in their squad :D

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2046/47

Things were looking good for Northern Ireland, so we needed to keep winning.

League Table

Our undefeated run was ended by Linfield, who also managed to prevent Glentoran from getting a Champions League spot.

Domestic Cups - I fielded weak teams and got knocked out of a couple of cups early, but I don't think we gained much by doing that.

UEFA Super Cup - we dominated the match but needed penalties to win.

FIFA Club World Cup - no problems in this one.

UEFA Champions League - things were looking so easy, until we met Man Utd.

Glentoran in Europe - they performed miracles in the group stage, but blew it in the home leg of the first knockout round.

Linfield in Europe - the results against Lyon were superb, but they had terrible luck in the draws for both competitions.

Squad - I'm still struggling to replace the older players, so this is possibly the oldest squad I've ever had.

Youth Products - apart from a couple of players, the standard isn't too high but I'm getting a squad together here.

Transfers - not a great transfer window as I wasted money on a couple of players.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - top scorer again.

Antonin Guillot - his strike partner.

Davorin Horvat - he's doing well, but still struggling to replace the older stars in the first team.

Admir Juric - past his best, but still going strong.

Hiltinho - similar to Juric, but a year younger.

Career Overview

2045/46   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, and Champions League winners
2046/47   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and CWC winners

Next Season

We simply have to win the Champions League if we want progress for Northern Ireland. I may have to abandon my recent policy on buying youngsters to get some quality players in to help us.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 9th in European competitions (3.5 stars, up half a star) - up 2

Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - down 1

Northern Ireland - 108th in FIFA rankings - down 30

Glentoran - 20th in UEFA coefficients - down 1

Linfield - 36th in UEFA coefficients - up 7

Excellent read Dafuge. Just amazing work.

Can I ask if Oxford United Stars or Raceview Rangers have done anything in NI's leagues at all? I've managed both in past versions of FM and thoroughly enjoyed my time at both, although I never made it past the second tier as I suck.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2047/48

The squad is in the process of a rebuild, which isn't really what I need when we badly need to win the Champions League.

League Table

After losing our unbeaten record last season, things got back to normal.

Domestic Cups - we had a shock in the League Cup, but the rest was easy.

UEFA Champions League - Marseille caused us a problem, but a superb win at home saw us through to the final. Things were tight, but in extra time we had a man sent off and gave away a penalty. It looked all over, but the penalty was saved and we managed to sneak a late winner.

Glentoran in Europe - oh dear.

Linfield in Europe - they were lucky to get out of the group stage ahead of AC Milan (who didn't win a game) but blew it against Galatasaray.

Squad - the average age is getting younger, but there are still a few key older players who will need replacing.

Youth Products - we've got a few decent players here, hopefully we can start to help the Northern Irish natioanl team.

Transfers - there was a bit of a clear out, but the job is not finished yet.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - top scorer again, this time in some style.

Daniel Rossi - he's started to take his place in the first team.

Antonin Guillot - suffered a bit with form, which gave Rossi his chance.

Hyun Jung-Ho - still going strong, although looks like he is ready for management.

Angel Roger - brought in to cover Juric, but has taken his place after Juric got injured.

Career Overview

2046/47   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and CWC winners
2047/48   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish,Setanta Cup and Champions League winners

Next Season

Winning the Champions League was huge, and badly needed for Linfield who will get another chance next season.

Very nice read!

I was wondering, how are the facilities of the other teams in the Carling Premiership doing? Are they being upgraded a lot? And how about their stadiums?

Thx, keep it up!

I can't see a lot of improvements to stadia, although a few of them had decent grounds to start off with. I'm not sure if the facilities have been improved much, but Linfield/Glentoran have reasonable facilities. Most of the other clubs just have basic/adequate.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars, down half a star) - down 2

Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 112th in FIFA rankings - down 4

Glentoran - 31st in UEFA coefficients - down 11

Linfield - 42nd in UEFA coefficients - down 6

No green :(

Archived