From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daffy - Have you actually managed to get your board to improve junior coaching or youth recruitment?

You would have thought with my Seaptrick side having just beaten Chelsea 4-0 in the Champions' League Final that they would accept my request to improve these. Alas apparently everything is cushty for a club of our size!!!!

The new stadium was built nearly 12 years ago so I have another 8 to go (2048). Perhaps these abilities get maxed out depending on your stadium?

I've been able to slowly improve them, but it seems that the youth facilities needed to be improved first before the others got upgraded. A new stadium made no difference, so I'm assuming it is unrelated.

My junior coaching is up to 'exceptional' (is that the max?) but my youth recruitment seems harder to upgrade, it is currently 'above average'. Youth facilities are 'state of the art' and look like they may have another upgrade on the way.

Daf

Quick question. I've been adopting your player search technique (ie under 21, sort by PA and then CA). I was wondering what you do when you're dealing with a top class team? Presumably searching for an under 21 DMC interested in joining your club would yield thousands of results? Do you filter them down at all?

Cheers

saab693

Daf

Quick question. I've been adopting your player search technique (ie under 21, sort by PA and then CA). I was wondering what you do when you're dealing with a top class team? Presumably searching for an under 21 DMC interested in joining your club would yield thousands of results? Do you filter them down at all?

Cheers

saab693

I set a minimum value of £1m, which means the list of players I'm dealing with is usually around 1500.

I raised that value as the club grew, to try and cut out players with lower potential. I'm bound to miss a few gems but it makes scouting easily manageable. My player search with those filters currently shows 1355 players in total, from a total of 40790 unfiltered.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2042/43

With another Champions League title in the bag and Glentoran on ths up, things were looking good in Northern Ireland.

League Table

The usual draw, against Tobermore!

Domestic Cups - I fielded a lot of the youth players in the less important matches, but we still did the clean sweep.

UEFA Champions League - undefeated, although there were a few close matches. The final was not one of those

Glentoran in Europe - they destroyed Arsenal in the group stages then managed to defeat Porto in the first knockout round. The quarter final gives away the bigger story though.

Linfield in Europe - not a great start, but Linfield went on to an historic run. The draw was kind to them, as Inter showed.

Squad - immense strength in depth as usual.

Reserve Squad - the team of local players is growing, and starting to produce some decent players.

Transfers - star striker Damiano wanted to leave, which was a shame. Other than that is was just a couple of straight swaps.

Finances - a decent profit.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - our top scorer again.

Jorge Ubieto - a great season for the winger.

Srdjan Jevic - brought in as cover, he had a great season.

Antonin Guillot - had a decent year as the supporting striker.

Steven Lennon - not really a key player, but he looks like the first local player who might make the first team.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners

Next Season

Things couldn't have really gone better for the clubs of Northern Ireland, I'm just hoping they can build on this next season.

Also Daf, don't suppose you have screenshots of Vucojevic when you signed him and at his prime? I assume he won a fair few accolodes in his time?

I didn't take a screenshot in his first season as I didn't really rate him, this is the earliest one I have. This was his greatest season.

I really should have written about him in that last update. With Damiano leaving and me not being able to replace him, Vuko got another chance in the first team. He wasn't that impressive, but it was great to see him happy and playing again.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 9th in European competitions (3.5 stars, up half a star) - up 3

Bourneview - 1st in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 97th in FIFA rankings - down 13

Linfield - 37th in UEFA coefficients - up 19

Glentoran - 33rd in UEFA coefficients - up 10

We are making great progress, but we need to keep it up. In three years time we stand a decent chance of moving up the rankings, but we have to have three good years.

why did you keep vuko for so long? could you not cash in on him?

i always tend to sell players who are over 30... no loyalty i suppose :)

He'd done so much for the club, I just couldn't sell him. It is pretty rare for me to keep a player over 30.

Oh what a season!!!!!!!!! Any big transfers for Glentoran and Linfield that resulted in European success?

With such rise in the rankings they will have even better seedings for the draw.

Oh what a season!!!!!!!!! Any big transfers for Glentoran and Linfield that resulted in European success?

With such rise in the rankings they will have even better seedings for the draw.

They have both been spending a bit of money, but they still seem to insist on buying British. If only they would look abroad!

Both clubs have become 3rd seeds in the past (but slipped back down), having both of them there would be massive.

Couple of cracking signings there daf. So where you signed the 23 year old, how did your scouting policy work for that? Was it just that you couldn't find anyone u21 so upped the age range?

Yes, I do that when I need to replace a player at short notice. I somtimes look at players in the 22-25 range when I need to fill a gap.

Yes, I do that when I need to replace a player at short notice. I somtimes look at players in the 22-25 range when I need to fill a gap.

Thanks Daf. Out of interest, do you use the same approach right from the start of the game? Presumably you needed a lot of new players very quickly with limited scouting capabilities? Did you do anything differently at that stage?

Appreciate you help, I find this thread absolutely fascinating. Think it's worth taking a moment to step back and point out that you just got 3 NI clubs into the semi-finals of the CL. What scenes!

Thanks Daf. Out of interest, do you use the same approach right from the start of the game? Presumably you needed a lot of new players very quickly with limited scouting capabilities? Did you do anything differently at that stage?

My approach was completely different at the start of the game. I targetted unnattached players under 21 and scouted/trialled a lot of them.

Ah ok but the onus was still very much on young players with potential though? How long did it take you to assemble a team (assuming you had very few scouts to hand)?

Yes, I went for under 21s. Here's my first transfer window, is was pretty hectic as I brought in loads of players then started replacing them within the year.

Wow! Any idea how many you scouted to get that list?

I suppose my point was surely it took a long time for 2-3 scouts to get through the list of players you gave them to look at? Did you start the league with a very weak team which you updated as the season went on?

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2043/44

With three clubs in the Champions League quarter finals, Northern Ireland really put itself on the map last year. Now we had to build on it.

League Table

Institute this time.

Domestic Cups - the youth players featured in a lot of the cup games and we almost had the usual clean sweep, but Glentoran beat us in the Setanta Cup Final.

UEFA Super Cup - this match should never have got to penalties, but we won.

FIFA Club World Cup - this one could have gone either way.

UEFA Champions League - PSG kept us off the top spot in the group, but we hit form in the knockout rounds. The final was a tight affair which we were lucky to win.

Glentoran in Europe - the draw was harsh, but this was a disappointing season.

Linfield in Europe - missing out on the group stage was a disaster, much like their Europa League campaign.

Squad - there's a bit of reshaping going on as a number of players approach 30.

Reserve Squad - the squad is slowly growing, I should have a full team in a few years.

Transfers - a number of players were sold, with younger, more talented players brought in.

Finances - pretty much broken even.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - our top scorer again, but no insane total this year as the youth players took the easy cup games.

Antonin Guillot - another great striker.

Admir Juric - an incredible player.

Robert Roche - he's proving very hard to replace.

Steven Lennon - the star of the youth setup, he's looking great.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners

Next Season

There's not a lot more we can do, we just need Linfield and Glentoran to progress in Europe. Our youth facilities are now maxed out, so I should start to see some better players coming through.

Another cracking season and hopefully progress continues to be made by Linfield and Glentoran.

They just need to be consistent, after the wonderful season last year I was expecting a bit more from them this time :(

Well that balances the last season out then!! Lennon looks like he could be a good player, does he have the potential to play for your team?

It looks like it. He may not be up there with my better defenders but he seems to have the potential to take a spot in the first team squad.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars, down half a star) - down 2

Bourneview - 1st in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 115th in FIFA rankings - down 18

Glentoran - 31st in UEFA coefficients - up 2

Linfield - 41st in UEFA coefficients - down 4

All the good work of last year undone, and none of it my fault :(

Another great season for you Daf, but not NI. Is there an argument that without the scouting strategy you implement, Glentotan and Linfield will never make the step up to your level?

That is the big thing that is holding them back. They both have continental reputation yet they both seem to restrict their signings mostly to the UK.

Just a quick one daf, would you sign a youngster with 2* CA and 4* PA or would you deem the CA too low?

Hard for me to say really, as I don't ever find any 4* youngsters. The best are usually 3* and occasionally 3.5*.

I suppose if a player was 1.5/3.5 then I'd take a look, but I usually have better luck with players with around 2.5 CA.

Thanks daf.

So you'd sign a player with 3* PA? That's interesting as I've been ignoring anyone with less than 3.5. Presumably it's only because your team is at such a high standard now that a youngster needs incredible potential to be considered a future prospect? When you were in the lower leagues (or even the highest league but not world class) what sort of PA would you be looking at or would 3* still be considered acceptable?

Really appreciate your time daf.

I've actually signed players with 2.5/2.5, who have been good enough for the first team. Because my squad is so strong, it is hard to find youngsters that will improve it.

It's really hard to say as it all depends on your squad/scouts, but in the early years I'd be looking for 5* from the scout report.

At the start of the game is potential or ability more important? Managing Bala almost every player appears to have 4 or 5 * potential, so how can I tell them apart? Thanks :)

You're career is going awesome, how are the other clubs doing in the Europa cup?

Archived