AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the team has settled, the time is right for Davies to prove just how bad he is... :-/

I hope I'm wrong, but I see them struggling to avoid relegation, despite the very good squad (apart the few top-class players like Trezeguet and Buffon, they're better than my Juventus team). When will their struggles with poor management end?

Sad to see King go, but you can't turn down £30 mil can you.

Can't believe Dove has returned, and what a bargan, looks like playing in europe has made a big difference in the type of players the Bandits can now attract.

Looking forward to the update of the season, I think it's gonna be a good one, I can feel it!

(I'm a Newcastle fan IRL, ever the optimist icon_wink.gif)

Guest arrogantio

Poor old Ben Clayton. The most successful manager the club had ever had, wins the club their first ever major trophy and earns them a place in Europe for the first time ever, and all that anyone and the club wants is for him to have a bad season so they have an excuse to sack him. And Martin Jol thought he had it bad...

Admittedly, the tiniest amount of ability to motivate and a bit more determination on his own part might have helped Ben Clayton bring the Bandits back into form and saved his job, but the manager screenshot kinda confirmed what I suspected all along: he's not at all bad at spotting the potential of his younger players (hey, he brought more young talent to the club than anyone else managed) but was forced into selling some of them off at bargain prices by other circumstances. For all their profitability and fan base, the football world has never regarded the Bandits as a big club.

Their new manager looks like someone that really should have the title "first team coach"; he's clueless about team selection and tactical changes as well as being every bit as bad a motivator as Clayton. Anyone reckon there might be someone else behind the scenes pulling the strings?

Prediction: A Ben Clayton managed club to finish higher than the Bandits over the next 2-3 seasons.

Unbelievable thread..Absolutely awesome..Start to read yesterday and finished it..wow..

As a Turkish guy I'm eagerly waiting Umit Abdulkadir-Trabzonspor striker to make his big move and become a leading star just like our Striker 4...icon_smile.gif

Switching to wait mode for the last update..icon_biggrin.gif

Just read this thread start to finish. It's now 2.15 am! But the time flew by. Awesome stuff. I bloody love those bandits! Other favourite bit is the Man utd updates- Just waiting for the resurgence... Anytime now...

Guest Metaphysical

just spent the last four hours reading this thing front to back.

kipfizh, you are a god.

A GOD.

I'm a TOTAL bandits fan (what would their fan nickname be? a bandit? lol)

really want goalkeeper 2 to succeed coz he was so loyal (even if it was to dirty lids) and so awesome. but looks like he doesn't have what it takes.

bring back gamble!

really depressed at the way the AI has bitchslapped man utd, though! it's depressing watching your team slide down into nothingness. and my second team, barca, have been outshone by their facist opponents madrid in europe! so sad =(

but the bandits, the bandits keep me goin'! I got LEGIT pleased whenever an improvement was made. and now that the club is somewhat settled as a PL team, I can't wait for the final push into the upper tiers of football. it has to happen, the bandits are the best!

you did a PL history picture on an earlier page, any chance of a newer one? (you could edit it in PS, making it vertically taller and doing multiple printscreens and a bit of editing and fit all the history in one image) and maybe a similar thing for the champs league? it'd be ace.

once again, kipfizh = GOD.

Originally posted by Metaphysical:

really depressed at the way the AI has bitchslapped man utd, though! it's depressing watching your team slide down into nothingness. .

Thats one of my favorate bits seeing how average they now are icon_wink.gif

goosebumps

signed up today looked at this thread had a little read through, clicked on the screenshot of the man utd board and noticed my name as assistant manager.... maybe not amazing if my name was say john smith but damien roden come on, what are the chances ayy

gotta say aswell some of this was like a fairy tale, ryan morley best english player ever, former bandit england manager, nice one whatever you name is

Originally posted by damienroden:

goosebumps

signed up today looked at this thread had a little read through, clicked on the screenshot of the man utd board and noticed my name as assistant manager.... maybe not amazing if my name was say john smith but damien roden come on, what are the chances ayy

gotta say aswell some of this was like a fairy tale, ryan morley best english player ever, former bandit england manager, nice one whatever you name is

All I need is someone to be called 'Raven Blackburn'.

Not very likely I must say.

Sorry all, I know the updates are slow in coming at the moment, they are on the way but things are very very busy this end at the moment!

I'll give you a taster in a moment to keep you going, but to answer a few questions - practically every team has been taken over at least once, we have played forty years after all, and I'm not sure how to find out who lists X as a favourite player or favourite team without going through all the possibilities one by one.

Originally posted by kipfizh:

I'm not sure how to find out who lists X as a favourite player or favourite team without going through all the possibilities one by one.

It's a filter in the player search. "Favourite" then "Contains"

VB

Season report preview - part 1 (as an apology for being so slow!):

A summer of stability caused an unprecedented level of optimism amongst the long serving Bandit fans, with many predicted that Stuart Davies’ managerial skill could take such a talented squad into the top six. The media were predicting ninth place and a European challenge, and no-one could wait for the season to begin.

But before any domestic football could be played, the Intertoto Cup had to be navigated. A friendly looking draw against Russian team Rubin was all that stood between them and the UEFA Cup qualifiers, and after Tom Finley’s goal gave them a creditable 1-1 draw in the away leg, they thumped their visitors 4-0 in the home leg to progress.

Experienced Swiss side Young Boys lay in wait in the UEFA Cup qualifying round, but were heavily dispatched, a 6-1 aggregate victory seeing the Bandits reach the UEFA Cup proper again.

Meanwhile, the league season was beginning, and they made a good start, gaining eight points from the four games leading up the UEFA Cup first round tie with Hadjuk Rodic of Serbia. Once again the European flag flew high, with 4-0 and 3-0 victories giving the Bandits a thumping aggregate victory and a passage to the group stages. In between the two matches, they drew 2-2 with Aston Villa and produced a superb performance against Chelsea to win 2-0 and move up to second in the Premiership.

Second became first with two more victories before the UEFA Cup group stages began, FC Kobenhavn putting a massive dent in their hopes by claiming a 1-0 win on English soil. The loss was quickly followed by a league defeat at the Emirates, before the got back on track with four wins on the bounce, including an impressive win away at Fenerbahce, thanks to a solitary late Philip King strike.

With the Bandits now seven points clear at the top of the Premiership and getting vertigo, a shadow side was sent to play Boston in the League Cup and was duly thumped 3-0, a mark of how small their squad really is. A poor run in the league saw their lead entirely overturned, and as the dropped away from the top of the table, Valencia came to town and won 3-1, leaving the Bandits needing to beat the impressive Iraklis in the final game. The Greeks had already won in Spain, and were looking good.

Phew icon_eek.gif

I came across this thread last week… went back to page 1, and have gradually read through the whole lot.

Fantastic work kipfizh icon14.gif

You deserve a medal for all the work you have put in over the past 10 or so months… my only problem now is that I have to follow in real time, and wait patiently for your updates, rather than read it at my leisure icon_biggrin.gif

As with all of you I have become an avid Bandits fan, as well as a keen observer of the AI developments in the game (for the team and players etc).

I have a couple of things to contribute…

~Firstly, was I the only person to shed a tear at the retirement of the players, especially the first one (even if he was one of the idiots)? I feel like I grew to see them all as real personalities, following their playing careers with interest, and now with the few that remain in the game.

~It was very interesting to watch their CA’s rise as they approached their peak, and even more interesting to see it decline once past it. The AI does a great job of taking a player from the cradle to the grave, if you know what I mean.

~While the players (except the idiots) had good loyalty attributes, and most stayed with their top sides (Chelsea, Arsenal etc) for the majority of their careers, why did none of them end up at either Real Madrid or Barcelona? (this may have been discussed previously before I noticed the trend). Even if the answer is that you didn’t run the Spanish league fully, you might still expect one of two players to end up at those clubs given their status and wealth?

~Why, even more so now they have reached the PL, are the Bandits still appointing apparently poor managers (with lowish CA’s/PA’s)? Is this the same issue they had in the early days with players (struggling to buy better ones that are easily affordable), and the reason why they are they struggling to attract good/top managers despite being very rich?

Further on this, you talked about the Chairman being possibly the reason behind the lack of ambition, plus the players themselves not wanting to join a lowly team (despite the financial situation and therefore potential for promotion). Does the manager or scouts have any AI responsibility here too, as between them they must somehow draw up a list of potential recruits based on positions that need strengthening, and the funds available, and how does the AI draw up a shortlist of players?

Anyway… as I mentioned at the outset, this has been a superb experiment and read.

Well done kipfizh icon14.gif

Come on the Bandits!!

Wow. I have been the world's worst employee this week. I spent all of my off time (and some of my on time) reading through this. How can so many care so much about a team that no one has ever heard of and [now] consists entirely of fictional personnel? I don't get it, but I love it. You have a real knack for storytelling. I hope that, when the Bandits' future history ends, you will continue to write for all of us.

Kudos!

Semi-season report looks promising. At least we played good from time to time to grab the lead in EPL. UEFA run is pretty good imo, winning away against my home team kinda upset me though icon_wink.gif Hope we get past Iraklis and make it to the KO stages. But I'm kinda worried about the squad depth handling all this tiring fixture. You don't need to apologize for being slow or late or whatever Kip. All the things you've this far is absolutely awesome. Guess I'll talk about this thread with my grandchildren in the future, mentioning how it kept me attached to pc, refreshing for the update icon_biggrin.gif KUTGW mate.

Originally posted by 5ergio:

Semi-season report looks promising. At least we played good from time to time to grab the lead in EPL. UEFA run is pretty good imo, winning away against my home team kinda upset me though icon_wink.gif Hope we get past Iraklis and make it to the KO stages. But I'm kinda worried about the squad depth handling all this tiring fixture. You don't need to apologize for being slow or late or whatever Kip. All the things you've this far is absolutely awesome. Guess I'll talk about this thread with my grandchildren in the future, mentioning how it kept me attached to pc, refreshing for the update icon_biggrin.gif KUTGW mate.

Like how you refer to the Bandits as we icon_smile.gif I think people are starting to think the bandits actually exist icon_smile.gif

Excellent work Kip, your a legend.

Originally posted by VonBlade:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

I'm not sure how to find out who lists X as a favourite player or favourite team without going through all the possibilities one by one.

It's a filter in the player search. "Favourite" then "Contains"

VB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks icon_smile.gif

The answer is - Craig Hutton, a former Bandit who played for them back in the Championship days, and some youth players who went nowhere.

None of the current crop.

Originally posted by achilles elbow:

~While the players (except the idiots) had good loyalty attributes, and most stayed with their top sides (Chelsea, Arsenal etc) for the majority of their careers, why did none of them end up at either Real Madrid or Barcelona? (this may have been discussed previously before I noticed the trend). Even if the answer is that you didn’t run the Spanish league fully, you might still expect one of two players to end up at those clubs given their status and wealth?

In all honesty, I'm glad they didn't, because the legendary centre back who ended up at Milan was hard to track as I wasn't running the league.

There will be a later version of this experiment, some time in the future, that will take all the lessons learnt from this one, one of those lessons being that I need to run every major league to get a true reflection.

~Why, even more so now they have reached the PL, are the Bandits still appointing apparently poor managers (with lowish CA’s/PA’s)? Is this the same issue they had in the early days with players (struggling to buy better ones that are easily affordable), and the reason why they are they struggling to attract good/top managers despite being very rich?

I wish I knew. It might be bad luck, but as someone suggested I do before, I'll track who is rumoured to take over next time. I don't know whether the board are stupid, or if there's just no-one good around at the right time.

Seasonal report is now very close, so in the meantime, here is part 2:

A summer of stability caused an unprecedented level of optimism amongst the long serving Bandit fans, with many predicted that Stuart Davies’ managerial skill could take such a talented squad into the top six. The media were predicting ninth place and a European challenge, and no-one could wait for the season to begin.

But before any domestic football could be played, the Intertoto Cup had to be navigated. A friendly looking draw against Russian team Rubin was all that stood between them and the UEFA Cup qualifiers, and after Tom Finley’s goal gave them a creditable 1-1 draw in the away leg, they thumped their visitors 4-0 in the home leg to progress.

Experienced Swiss side Young Boys lay in wait in the UEFA Cup qualifying round, but were heavily dispatched, a 6-1 aggregate victory seeing the Bandits reach the UEFA Cup proper again.

Meanwhile, the league season was beginning, and they made a good start, gaining eight points from the four games leading up the UEFA Cup first round tie with Hadjuk Rodic of Serbia. Once again the European flag flew high, with 4-0 and 3-0 victories giving the Bandits a thumping aggregate victory and a passage to the group stages. In between the two matches, they drew 2-2 with Aston Villa and produced a superb performance against Chelsea to win 2-0 and move up to second in the Premiership.

Second became first with two more victories before the UEFA Cup group stages began, FC Kobenhavn putting a massive dent in their hopes by claiming a 1-0 win on English soil. The loss was quickly followed by a league defeat at the Emirates, before the got back on track with four wins on the bounce, including an impressive win away at Fenerbahce, thanks to a solitary late Philip King strike.

With the Bandits now seven points clear at the top of the Premiership and getting vertigo, a shadow side was sent to play Boston in the League Cup and was duly thumped 3-0, a mark of how small their squad really is. A poor run in the league saw their lead entirely overturned, and as the dropped away from the top of the table, Valencia came to town and won 3-1, leaving the Bandits needing to beat the impressive Iraklis in the final game. The Greeks had already won in Spain, and were looking good.

The Bandits travelled to Greece for the crunch match, but a late equalizer only gained them a point in an entertaining but ultimately disappointing 2-2 draw. Their opponents went through, along with Valencia and FC Kobenhavn. One point from their next three league games saw them fall to seventh, in danger of throwing away the wonderful start to their season.

As January rolled around, their form began to pick up, and although QPR knocked them out of the FA Cup in the third round, their league position began to climb, until they sat fourth with six games to go. The lofty target was now the Champions League, and with Chelsea and Sheff Wed running away at the top, it was left to three teams to fight for third and fourth – West Ham, Liverpool and the Bandits.

Wins over Sunderland and QPR seemed to guarantee third spot for the Bandits, but then they lost two on the spin – Sheff Wed and Charlton bringing them straight back down to earth. With two games to go, West Ham had 61 points, with the Bandits and Liverpool on 60 and an almost identical goal difference.

Kip, you are most probably enjoying creating this immense suspense icon_biggrin.gif I think I'll be running this two games all over my head till the update but can't see any difference score than we winning both. Shame we couldn't make the KO rounds but it's good to challenge for CL. Hope we go to CL and manage to score an ace goal to put on screen with the official uefa hymn at the start of every CL game icon_biggrin.gif

Just so you know, I'm not being a git with the suspense stuff just for the sake of it - I'm just trying to give you partial updates instead of no updates, while I finish the full thing icon_smile.gif

Just in case anyone thought I was being a swine!

Update is very nearly finished now, just doing the world view sections.

Bandits report – Season report

The Bandits travelled to Greece for the crunch match, but a late equalizer only gained them a point in an entertaining but ultimately disappointing 2-2 draw. Their opponents went through, along with Valencia and FC Kobenhavn. One point from their next three league games saw them fall to seventh, in danger of throwing away the wonderful start to their season.

As January rolled around, their form began to pick up, and although QPR knocked them out of the FA Cup in the third round, their league position began to climb, until they sat fourth with six games to go. The lofty target was now the Champions League, and with Chelsea and Sheff Wed running away at the top, it was left to three teams to fight for third and fourth – West Ham, Liverpool and the Bandits.

Wins over Sunderland and QPR seemed to guarantee third spot for the Bandits, but then they lost two on the spin – Sheff Wed and Charlton bringing them straight back down to earth. With two games to go, West Ham had 61 points, with the Bandits and Liverpool on 60 and an almost identical goal difference.

Then came a beautiful penultimate day – Liverpool lost at Villa, West Ham only drew at home to struggling Stoke, while a Paul Dove winner sealed a 2-1 triumph over Spurs, to move the Bandits back up to third. A point ahead of West Ham, and three ahead of Liverpool, a solitary point against Stoke would secure that top four spot.

But they never got that point. Down to nine men after Steen Hansen and Owen Paris saw red, Stoke scored a winner with three minutes left, to leave the Bandits looking elsewhere for favours.

They got them. Liverpool won 2-1 at QPR, but they needed two more to overhaul the Bandits’ goal difference, while West Ham, with a chance to go third, blew it completely, losing 2-1 at relegated Derby to finish fifth.

So the Bandits finish third, and have a Champions League qualifying tie to play next season. What a tie that’ll be – if they can win it, the reputation boost they’ll get from appearing in the group stages will be immense. What a season they’ve had.

Sure, the cups were disappointing, but with a small squad, the league position would’ve suffered had they gone very far in the knockout competitions.

So Philip King has gone, Paul Dove is back, and Stuart Davies was wise enough not to change the squad too drastically.

The future looks bright. Bring on the cream of Europe.

Honours: League Cup (2044)

Bandits report – Season summary

2006-07, English Conference South - 1st, FA Trophy - Winners

2007-08, English National Conference - 7th, FA Trophy - Final

2008-09, English National Conference – 7th

2009-10, English National Conference – 9th

2010-11, English National Conference – 6th

2011-12, English National Conference – 18th

2012-13, English National Conference – 5th

2013-14, English National Conference – 1st

2014-15, English League Two – 21st

2015-16, English League Two – 21st

2016-17, English League Two – 6th

2017-18, English League Two – 6th

2018-19, English League Two – 7th

2019-20, English League Two – 6th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2020-21, English League Two – 10th

2021-22, English League Two – 1st, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy - Final

2022-23, English League One – 13th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2023-24, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Final

2024-25, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Semi-Final

2025-26, English League One – 18th

2026-27, English League One – 17th

2027-28, English League One – 14th

2028-29, English League One – 20th

2029-30, English League One – 1st

2030-31, English Championship – 14th

2031-32, English Championship – 10th, League Cup – Final

2032-33, English Championship – 12th

2033-34, English Championship – 8th

2034-35, English Championship – 21st

2035-36, English Championship – 2nd

2036-37, English Premiership – 17th

2037-38, English Premiership – 12th

2038-39, English Premiership – 15th, FA Cup – Semi-Final

2039-40, English Premiership – 11th

2040-41, English Premiership – 14th

2041-42

English Premiership: (Pos 13), P 38, W 14, D 9, L 15, F 55, A 55, GD 0, Pts 51

(Media Prediction: 18th)

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

2042-43

English Premiership: (Pos 11), P 38, W 15, D 7, L 16, F 58, A 68, GD -10, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 15th)

2043-44

English Premiership: (Pos 6), P 38, W 16, D 9, L 13, F 47, A 47, GD 0, Pts 57

(Media Prediction: 14th)

FA Cup: Quarter-Final

League Cup: Winners

2044-45

English Premiership: (Pos 9), P 38, W 14, D 10, L 14, F 60, A 53, GD +7, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 8th)

UEFA Cup: 1st Knockout Round

2045-46

English Premiership: (Pos 3), P 38, W 18, D 9, L 11, F 55, A 46, GD +9, Pts 63

(Media Prediction: 9th)

League

Intertoto Cup: Qualified for UEFA Cup

UEFA Cup: Group Stage

League Cup: 4th Round

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

Finance Overview

New records:

Highest League Position: 3rd in Premiership (previous: 6th in Premiership)

Most Man of the Match awards: Tom Finley (11)

Highest Transfer Fee Received: 30m from Chelsea for Philip King (previous: 12m from Arsenal for Paul Dove)

Total Transfer Income: 58m

Note: Philip King was well on the way to breaking the assists record – he had ten before being sold in January)

This season:

Best player – Paris, 7.58

Top scorer – Finley, 27

Worst player – Dixon, 6.68

The Bandits moved ahead of Barcelona in the rich list, but Chelsea’s value soared to take the top spot so the Bandits remain in second.

Rich Clubs

Archived