England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe make it so managers of teams up to U12 have to have level 1 FA, from U13 to U18 they must have level 2, any adult team operating outside of the league pyramid has to have level 3 and any manager of a team in the league pyramid must have the UEFA Pro licence. Use some of the billions of pounds from the TV money to drive costs down so that people can afford to do the courses.

There are incentives (pretty decent incentives too) for clubs to make all of their coaches qualified to a certain level. In fact, I think it's necessary to get into the league pyramid that every single coach at your club, including the youth clubs, must be level 1 qualified, and promotions are dependent on getting them up levels as well.

Why are you doing your best nelly impression by trying to be as contrary as possible? What relevance is it to what I've said that Fergie didn't go on a course to get one? Are you suggesting because one of the greatest managers of all time never did it, it is totally useless? Fairly sure managers like Shankly or Chapman never used to set diets for players or do half the different types of training that are used nowadays, does that make the new techniques useless?

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of managers below the Championship would improve in some way if they took the UEFA courses.

Stop being such a contrary bell end.

In other news, the FA have finally confirmed our home friendly against France for mid-November.

Why they try to shroud our fixtures in secrecy until the last possible second I will never understand, it's been on the FFF website for about a year.

yeah because if managers don't have Uefa licenses they'll never be any good. Will have to get Fergie on one of these courses asap.

apart from the obvious level of stupidity in this as pointed out by josh in his last post, you can at least agree that improving the ability of coaches will go some way in helping the development of our footballers?

apart from the obvious level of stupidity in this as pointed out by josh in his last post, you can at least agree that improving the ability of coaches will go some way in helping the development of our footballers?

yes of course I do. I'm just pointing out that having a Uefa license doesn't necessarily mean you're a better coach.

yes of course I do. I'm just pointing out that having a Uefa license doesn't necessarily mean you're a better coach.

In comparison to others? Well, yeah, of course not. If comparing how good a coach was prior to taking it to how good he is after taking it, then I'd say the vast majority of coaches would be better. Especially the more you start dropping down the leagues.

Can't believe ec7, who usually is a good poster but just seems to be arguing for the sake of it.

Of course Fergie doesn't need a coaching licence, he had bloody 20+ years or so in management when they came out (iirc). But when he started out, are you really telling me a coaching licence wouldn't of helped him? It would help any individual coach starting out for sure and make them better. No one said they'd be better off than Fergie.

I'm not really arguing at all, I understand coaching licenses may be very beneficial. But never having done one myself I can't quantify how helpful they are, and wouldn't measure the quality of a countries coaches by the number of licenses they have, there may be many other factors that influence whether a country has a lot of qualified coaches or not, such as the number of courses run in the country etc. It's perfectly possible there's loads of really good coaches out there who've not done any licenses, and using the circular argument that England has worse coaching because they have the least licenses, and we know they have worst coaching because they have the least licenses doesn't hold up. It may be true but until we can quantify it better it's not proof or even indication of anything. Show me some data that points to us having a worse level of coaching than say Switzerland, that measures quality in something other than licenses, then we can maybe declare a lack of licenses as the root cause of that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/7962547/Arsenal-midfielder-Jack-Wilshere-drops-back-to-England-Under-21-squad.html

As expected then Wilshire drops back to the U21 team, was basically to get everyone excited about 'the future' against Hungary. I knew he'd be back there as U21s got a big game away to Portugal. Kieran Gibbs, who unlike Wilshire hasn't been playing for Arsenal's first team not in the U21 squad so looks like to be in the full squad - when is that announced btw, got to be at the weekend?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/no-pain-no-gain-defoe-will-defy-injury-to-take-on-young-boys-2061094.html

Looks like Defoe will play for Spurs tonight but is in pain and needs an operation, basically won't be playing for England. Rooney really isn't right atm either, if he doesn't play against West Ham at the weekend I can see him not featuring and even if he does I can see him maybe getting some kind of niggle, I know he wants to play for England but wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the squad somehow and gets rest over that international break :/

OMG no Carroll lol!

I don't bother reading Capello articles in the media now, because they just go OTT and criticise EVERYTHING. Before his discipline was the BEST THING since sliced bread, now its outrageously out of touch.

The worst is the WAGs situation really. We all know how much criticism Sven got for allowing the situation. Then Capello comes, gets rid of the WAGs for the WC- it's a great decision. Then we lose and its 'the players got bored, should have let them ssee their families and partners....'.

Another one was not knowing the team before the day of the match. That was a great think a few months ago, now its really bad. Alf Ramsey didn't reveal the team until the day, iirc Clough didn't either. All you need is a few bad results and someone slimey like James to throw in a few sarcastic comments and it all changes.

Oh Yeah, the worm has turned. Be even worse if we don't pick up at least 4 point from these 2 games. No Defoe, Rooney tremendously out of sorts ... it's gonna be rough :/

Carroll's in the U21s so not like no one is paying attention, players like Milner and Hart came through there, why sit on the England bench when you can get international experience and at U21 level he's about 2 foot bigger than everyone else so it's great :D

I know, gonna be some heavy rotation for City though but thought that first XI, considering the opposition and missing the likes of Boateng, Kolorov, Silva, Ballotelli looked very assured and well balanced, wasn't just a 'win' but they controlled the game all the way through, relatively early goal probably helped but still, top display

Johnson was man of the match for me. To be the best player in such a match is... commendable. The rotation should actually do him some good. At most other clubs, I imagine he'd be playing every week, and be someone they rely on, and probably suffer a bit from burn out. If he's rested for 5 or so games, it could do him the world of good.

Daily Mirror, so take this with a pinch of salt...

Jermain Defoe has asked Spurs to delay his groin operation so that he can play for England next week.

The White Hart Lane striker and Mirror Columnist is desperate to feature in next Friday's European Championship qualifier against Bulgaria.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp insisted on Tuesday that Defoe would be out for "a couple of weeks" after undergoing surgery to correct the injury which the striker has carried for several weeks.

But Mirror Sport understands Defoe has made it clear to Tottenham that he wants to be available for under-fire England coach Fabio Capello - even if he doesn't make the game against Switzerland a few days later.

Defoe had already vowed to play through the pain barrier last night in order to help Tottenham reach today's main draw for the group stages of the Champions League.

Defoe said earlier this week: "I've had this problem for a few months. But the manager knows what I'm like - if I can I'll always be out there training, trying to improve.

The timing of Defoe's scheduled operation appeared to suggest the striker was putting club before country.

It would also have aggrieved England coach Fabio Capello with Wayne Rooney out of form and Peter Crouch's private life in the spotlight.

But Defoe will try to convince Spurs to allow him to be available in the Italian's hour of need.

Yeah, can't see that happening, it's a great time for him to have it, week before they play *cough* home banker *cough* Wigan and then the international break and I think 2 games after that he'll miss 'arry said are something like Wolves and West Brom so it makes sense

Thats' awful really.

Serie A - 20/22 = 90% of managers are Italian

Bundesliga - 15/18 = 83% of managers are German

Premiership - 7/20 = 35% are English

Shocking tbh. Having said that another 7 (if you include MoN, seeing as Villa don't have a manager) are from Britain but not English. 14/20 still not good enough though tbh.

Should point out that Martinez spent pretty much his entire playing career here though, and Di Matteo the main part of it too. Also numbers arent everything, are the top 15 German managers better than the top 15 English ones? (they probabley are, I'm just pointing out that the numbers arent everything)

If Fergie took over in 96 thing would have been very different for us.

Who knows maybe we can tempt him once he leaves Man Utd. International coaching won't be as full on and if England play Scotland, he could give that one match a miss!

Certainly prefer him to Woy, who seems nailed on to get it in 2012 at the moment.

Big Sam worries me. I think he is an excellent mid-table Premiership manager, no more though. He seems to think he is the British Mourinho though.

I know Mourinho said no, but in 2012, after 2 years with Real Madrid, you never know! You can never tell with Jose, but could tempt him as it will be the 2 year lead up to the WC. I'm guessing he would have his 3 CL titles and league titles in England, Spain, Portugal, Italy and would love to add the WC to become the all time great (yes I know theres Portugal, but I think we'd offer a better chance and I live in hope).

Jose for 2012, you heard it hear first!

I think appointing high priced overseas Managers is delaying the inevitable that we need to do something about coaching in England. If we take the best English Manager for the job then do that whether it's 'arry, Wow or someone else ... if they fail then so be it, maybe then it'll hit home about the volume of coaches we are producing. Appointing the bestest Managers in the world kind of glosses over the fact and probably doesn't make the people that need to make changes actually go about making them "it's ok, we did great in the Quals" ...

Archived