Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

Read the House Rules thread, if you haven't already done so. Direct links to blogs in place of story posts are verboten. However, if you have a blog that supports what you write here, that's fine.

Though from your description it sounds to me like you have done something that people have written and posted before, which is to say a results-based work. That certainly counts here.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read the House Rules thread, if you haven't already done so. Direct links to blogs in place of story posts are verboten. However, if you have a blog that supports what you write here, that's fine.

Though from your description it sounds to me like you have done something that people have written and posted before, which is to say a results-based work. That certainly counts here.

Thanks for your swift response.

In regards to my 'blog', I was simply meaning that previously I had posted my FM related career updates on a blog just so friends could read about them. I have only recently stumbled across this place as I spend most of my time on here buried somewhere in the Editor's Hideaway. I have no intention of just posting direct links, my intention is to write and post on here.

Name: Sir Winston Churchill

Date of Birth: 30/11/1874

Position: DC / SW C

Considered Best Ability: Tackling, Positional Sense, Leadership

Any other relevant comments: We Shall Fight On The Beaches, we shall fight on the Landing Grounds, we shall fight in the fields and the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.

P.S. Poss may need to alter DOB slightly, make him about 27.

Name: Gertrude von Spoon

Date of Birth: 31/12/1990

Position: MC

Best Ability: Stealing Volkswagen hubcaps, growing sunflowers and spraying killer passes.

Any Other Relevant Comments: Has a female name, has an autographed picture of Jimmy Saville and went to school with Clive Owen's hairdresser.

Name:Matthew Flynn

Date of Birth:26.08.1983

Position:striker

Considered Best Ability:composure and finishing

Any other relevant comments:great forward looking for a new club :)

can i change dob to whatever makes me 18 please

Thanks for your swift response.

In regards to my 'blog', I was simply meaning that previously I had posted my FM related career updates on a blog just so friends could read about them. I have only recently stumbled across this place as I spend most of my time on here buried somewhere in the Editor's Hideaway. I have no intention of just posting direct links, my intention is to write and post on here.

Superb. Write on! Apologies for my misunderstanding. Let's see what you have to offer!

leaguetablecode.jpg

Click on the print screen and then choose text file.

Go into your documents and Sports Interactive folder, choose the correct game version etc. From there pick the text file you're after.

When you open it up, copy all the information. Then go into the thread and paste all that information into coding boxes.

TEXT IN HERE [//code]      (obviously take it out the second / in the second coding box to get it to work right.)

Only thing I'd add to that is if you do your tables using MS Word, you can record a macro while you remove unnecessary columns from the standard table format. This makes the table narrow enough to post in FMS without your readers having to resize their browsers to read it all.

• 1 month later...

I started the save game that my story is based on without realising that the German national team was not enabled. This makes for some hard to explain occurences such as world class German players not picking up any caps in their careers and Germany never qualifying for a major international tournament. Just wondering if any other storytellers here have had to deal with such a gaping plot hole, and how you would handle it. Here's a few of the options I have considered...

1. Simply fail to mention it and hope the readers don't notice

2. Falsify the records - e.g. make up an appropriate number of caps for your German players. Write Germany into the story of various World Cup campaigns.

3. Come up with some vaguely plausible back story to explain it away. e.g. "It has been 20 years now since the German FA's curious decision to field only amateur players in their national side." or "Ever since the match-fixing scandal of 2010, FIFA sanctions on the German national team have precluded them from fielding anyone playing in the top flight of a European league." or "King Jurgen IV of Germany has insisted on picking the national team himself for the past two decades, and to be quite honest, his squad selections have been bizarre in the extreme." Feel free to provide your own alternative explanations.

There is an option four. It kind of sucks, but there is one ...

The generated players are actually close (sometimes, identical) to "real" German players. If you search German players for, say, Crossing >18 and Marking > 17, you can tell who Jurgen FakeName really is. That lets you write storylines based on the performance of the fake players in the World Cup or whatever.

What it doesn't solves is the desire for accurate recordings of caps/goals/etc.

It is a major hassle for me as well: I could have _SWORN_ that I had the right stuff set when I started the 5m1w storylines, but I guess not. The above is what I did in the SAfrica World Cup--kept a little spreadsheet that matched Japanese and German players to the "real" ones, wrote from that.

• 1 month later...

After finally being able to keep a story going, I'm wanting to take it to the next level and not only write match reports. As a student of literature, I'm a bit anxious of providing a change of structure and tone in one single storythread. I have three options:

1. Do it anyway and continue within the story.

2. Keep this one up and start another story with another team (but this will mean slower posting, since my playing time is unfortunately not infinite)

3. Stop with this one (with writing an end to the current story, ofcourse) and start a new thread, continuing the current save.

What would you do?

First, Mikey's advice is best. That out of the way, I would do number 3. I say this b/c I hit the inverse crossroads with one of the 5m1w threads, seeing a need to go from narrative to sparse match reports. I kept it in the same thread, and in doing so, I think I missed a chance for more folks to see if the "new style" was something they preferred.

After finally being able to keep a story going, I'm wanting to take it to the next level and not only write match reports. As a student of literature, I'm a bit anxious of providing a change of structure and tone in one single storythread. I have three options:

1. Do it anyway and continue within the story.

2. Keep this one up and start another story with another team (but this will mean slower posting, since my playing time is unfortunately not infinite)

3. Stop with this one (with writing an end to the current story, ofcourse) and start a new thread, continuing the current save.

What would you do?

I'd start a new story and have the one you've got continue (but thats me with several stories going at once).

You could have the story with the match reports as a side distractiong like Ihave with my Career story and use the other story as the more in-depth one.

Look at Coppers work in the past, he did a story with mainly match reports and also did a full in depth one, but as Mikey said do whatever makes you happy. If you dont enjoy dowing a story it will be reflected in the way you write it

Thanks, all of you guys! As a real writer should, I'm going to think hard and long about this ;) I keep this one going for now, while looking for possibilities for a second story. If that one will follow-up this one or exist next to it, that's for the future.

Maybe carry on the story on a new thread. Then start the story off remembering the current progress in the game save. Or do what mark says and just keep that story as it is and do a new indepth story. If you want to do an indepth story try and write 4 or 5 posts in advance to see if you like it. Hope this helps.

Splitting stories is probably the best idea from a pure continuity perspective but as I've told lots of new writers on this board, if it isn't fun you aren't going to want to keep doing it. So listen to The Hooped One (Mikey) ... because he's right.

Has anyone got any advice for writing the match reports? The way I see things the main ways of writing one is to:

a) Type quickly as the match is played, doesn't sound very practical

b) Make notes as the match is played, and type up after

c) Type as match is played and rewatch until finished typing

d) Make it up in the report, but I definitely don't want to do that.

Anyone got any tips for me? Thanks in advance :)

Has anyone got any advice for writing the match reports? The way I see things the main ways of writing one is to:

a) Type quickly as the match is played, doesn't sound very practical

b) Make notes as the match is played, and type up after

c) Type as match is played and rewatch until finished typing

d) Make it up in the report, but I definitely don't want to do that.

Anyone got any tips for me? Thanks in advance :)

I mainly do stories as just plain match reports, so you could look at the career story as thats my main quick match reporting or the sign up game I've got with details of who is playing etc... It is really up to how you want to do the report.

When I do the stories I write down the results and save the players who played then go from there......

I play through about 4 months, just making short notes on each game as they're played out. Then, when I'm ready to write out the longer version, I go back to the match and watch a replay, picking out the most important passages of play and typing them out. I can also then check my notes just to make sure that there's nothing I've missed out that I may have forgotten (for example, if a player who's normally considered first-team didn't play in that match, I look at my notes and I'll see that he was injured/banned or I can see which players made landmark appearances/scored landmark goals etc.).

I'd suggest trying different methods. Everybody has their own preferred method, just gotta find which one works best for you! Good luck Ceirdiff, looking forward to reading whatever you write up if you decide to post it :)

I prefer to watch the key highlights for the matches which are important. For run-of-the-mill matches, I might only watch the goal highlights. Another thing I like to do is use the in-game match reports to help me remember key match details I may miss from just watching the highlights. This method might be different for you as I am still writing stories from FM 08.

Depends on the story. For Rat Pack, which is more detailed, I will take notes on the match after it's done along with my impressions (in character). Then I will reconstruct the match from the written report, viewing key highlights as needed.

For Ace of Spades, which is more relaxed, I will work primarily off my game notes. Depends on the amount of detail I want to write about a given match or moment.

I have developed a system of note-taking for matches that works for me. YMMV, of course. I jot down some notes before the game about standing, key players, whatever--things that are hard to infer from later saves. While the match is happening, I make very ungrammatical quick notes, using game time as the key. Things like:

17. Smith injured in header collision with Jamxxx.

23. GOAL! Sweet shot from 30 by Tomxxx.

I use the "xxx" to denote names that I know I need to go back and check when I do the actual writing.

After the match, I will usually jot some notes about possible story arc impacts--"so and so upset at not playing" or "puts us in 1st with 4 to go--pressure?" That kind of thing.

Then, when I'm writing, I find that I only use some of the notes, having made other choices about where arcs are going or what is most important about that match to retain. This all evolved through trial and error--I kept finding that either playing was less fun b/c I was taking notes in too great detail or writing was more difficult because I didn't have sufficient context for where the teams/people were when I went back to write.

• 4 weeks later...
Have the league table up on screen, then go to 'FM > Print Screen > Text File' and then select where you want to save the code to. Then just open it up in Word or whatever you use and add the code tags that Mark Snellink posted about :)

Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

I try to satisfy everyone best I can, Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed the moment!

And this all came from me asking about a league table.... Run while you can people!

EDIT: While i'm asking questions and getting answers i felt i have to ask this after reading the house rules. I've gotten quite deep into a story that i've been writing, the idea started in September and i took it as far as i could before the game came out. My question is are there any exceptions to the rules about videos? I only ask because while video's aren't a major part of my story i've been uploading video's of the goals in each game so people can read the match reports but also see the goals and the odd strange incident. No match report is just a video (i found out that it's not time effective with it taking half hour to upload one 300 second highlights package), most are 4-5 large paragraphs long with the addition of a video which of course is optional for those wish to read the report and imagine rather than actually see the goals.

I know the rules are there. I only ask as i thought it may be a nice way to change up the match reports, give them a bit more depth, use the games function to the fullest and maybe be an innovater if you will (i can dream). I'd be happy to grant a moderator a preview post via PM if it were to grease the wheels in to perhaps gaining permission.... Hell in the spirit of the above posts, i may let one bite me if it will help gain favour :p

Archived