dafuge's FM10 challenge

Championship is always a difficult league as there are a lot of ex-Prem teams. Or you get the problem I had and have the same stadium that you had at the start so the finances crumble.

Things are so better in the Championship with a 14,000 Capacity Stadium - my gate reciepts were over £7m this season compared to £1.4m last season with my old ground.

One thing that is starting to annoy me is my players feeling the pressure of the media - I get a news item saying they are feeling the pressure of public expectation, a few weeks later I get another message saying they have learnt to deal with the pressure, and a couple of weeks later they are again feeling the pressure and repeat :( - Though it looks like there's three issues - they cannot settle, handle first team football and cannot handle the transfer speculation (as it looks like the computer teams are going to be making a strong effort to poach all my players in the summer) and one of them has personal problems :(

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things are so better in the Championship with a 14,000 Capacity Stadium - my gate reciepts were over £7m this season compared to £1.4m last season with my old ground.

One thing that is starting to annoy me is my players feeling the pressure of the media - I get a news item saying they are feeling the pressure of public expectation, a few weeks later I get another message saying they have learnt to deal with the pressure, and a couple of weeks later they are again feeling the pressure and repeat :( - Though it looks like there's three issues - they cannot settle, handle first team football and cannot handle the transfer speculation (as it looks like the computer teams are going to be making a strong effort to poach all my players in the summer) and one of them has personal problems :(

It was on 09 I had straight promotions with Staines so in my first season in the Championship I was using a stadium which held 2500 people :(

Never did get that season done either. Loved that save

Have had this problem as well. Made on eof them my vc and he seems to be handling it well and no such further from him.

This season has not started well. Had to scramble for signings to even get a half decent squad together as my first choices all got picked up by other teams and we can't get any consistency together. Plus, after we were taken to penalties in a replay in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round all my players have been absolutely knackered, even after days off in training and we've lost each of the three games since. We're sitting 14th and I'm starting to worry.

Nantwich Town – Championship 2018/19 – Season 9

So after surviving last season with no players and no money the plan this season with our move into our new stadium complete was to try and build up a squad capable of competing in the league with one eye on the future.

The board again expectated us to fight against relegation but this time doubled my wage budget and gave me over £1m to spend, whilst the bookies gave us even less odds than last season putting us out at 80-1, with the media predicting we'd finish rock bottom.

Transfers - even with money at the club we were still out of our depth and I again pretty much loaned in anyone who was willing, whilst snapping up some promising players that saw our record transfer of £7K smashed four times.

With better players brought in I was forced to sell the likes of Fitzharris and Adam as they just weren't good enough.

The Season didn't get off to the best of starts as we lost three of our opening four games - however my team quickly gelled and it took until the end of the year for us to lose another three games as we somehow found ourselves in third place just behind second placed Cardiff but a long way behind run away leaders Wigan about the closest I got to a title fight with them was when I was offered the Wigan job after their manager joined Aston Villa.

At the turn of the year I expected our form to disappear again but it didn't as we kept on going and after 35 games we could no longer be relegated and I took the foot off - nearly all of my new signings were unhappy several couldn't settle, they were struggling with public expectations and worse of all other teams had attempted to poach them all during January which turned their heads - however they still out performed the loan players and kept their places and in our 43rd game we beat Second placed Cardiff 3-1 to lift ourselves into their position and killed their promotion dreams, however defeat to Hull and a draw to Watford (were we needed a 93rd minute goal to rescue a point) saw QPR claim second place from us on goal difference with just one game to go.

In our final game we comforably beat Huddersfield however QPR easily beat Leeds leaving us in the Playoffs.

Final Table - a third place was what we deserved as we spent most of the season sat there.

The Playoff Semi-Final saw us drawn against a Hull side who we'd failed to beat so far this season.

The First Leg in Hull was played in bad conditions and we never got going however a solid defensive performance ensured we took a 0-0 draw back to Nantwich.

The Second Leg was our chance to attack in the first half we threw everything at Hull having 13 shots (7 on target) but we just couldn't beat Tom Heaton, we eventually took the lead just before the hour when Magnus Eikrem played a pinpoint pass to pick out French Striker Vincent Acapandie who made himself some space and smashed the ball into the back of the net, but as expected Hull quickly got an equaliser scoring a placed shot from the edge of the area, but with everyone tiring my Irish Striker Stephen Keane came off the bench and within two minutes had put us back in front racing onto a through ball from fellow Irish sub Lacey which proved to be the winner.

In the Playoff Final we would take on a Leicester side who we'd also been unable to beat this season rememberly throwing away a 3-0 lead earlier in the season to draw 3-3.

We didn't get off to the best of starts as Leicester opened the scoring after just six minutes thanks to Orlando Sa who scored his 37th league goal of the season(!) after 20 minutes we grabbed a rather lucky undeserved equaliser Magnus Eikrem's drifted corner caused mayhem in the Leicester area and the ball rolled into the net after hitting one of their players.

In the second half the game opened up as both sides started to tire and on the hour we took the lead with a trademark Nantwich goal a superb pass from Magnus Eikrem was picked up by Vladislav Dimitrov who fired a fierce shot into the goal - Leicester didn't like that and a few minutes later forced him off the pitch and then grabbed an equaliser on 70 minutes.

With my team knackered Leicester pushed on but my Keeper was in inspired form and kept them at bay which led to extra-time but by now even Leicesters players were knackered and so pens it would be.

We both scored our first pens, however for Leicesters second my Keeper flung himself to his right and palmed the ball away we then went on to score the rest of our pens with my Captain Toungara scoring the winning penalty that would send us to the Premiership :eek:

Squad - the couple of new signings made the difference this year.

New Keeper James Patton was a fantastic signing, Grant Adam had served us well for years but he was at an entirely other level at times stopping everything that came his way, though he does have a bit of a problem with shots from the edge of the area creeping in at the post. Providing cover was another new Keeper Irish Youngster Alan Dolan picked up on deadline day and he made a good start winning man of the match and a keeping a clean sheet on his debut.

In defence I picked up some new Full-backs at right back was Galder Ardanaz from Spain and on the left was Peruvian Carlos Perez whilst both failed to settle they were both in fantastic form and outshone the loan players providing cover.

In the centre Belgian Erwin Bauwens took his chance and formed a fantastic partnership with my Captain Moussa Toungara, providing cover was new signing Idd Hassan from Belgium who played well when called upon.

In midfield the wings were the weak points the best I could do on the right was to bring Andy Saunders back on loan from Man City who had a fantastic season though his inability to last 90mins is a problem whilst on the left were two Brazilians Leandro was loaned in and had a solid season, whilst Dario arrived for a record £1.4m and is highly rated.

In the centre Matthew Whyte and Magnus Eikrem built on their partnership with Eikrem having his best season yet and beating his own (and Nantwich's) assists record with 21 - he was so close to setting a new Championship assists record but Wigan's Sergey Krivets beat him by one assist. Providing cover was Promising Irish Youngster David Lacey who stepped up and should be a fine long term replacement for Eikrem.

Upfront Vladislav Dimitrov again led the line and his 25 goals was a new Nantwich record he also gained a British passport and reckons he can get an England callup, his partner Vincent Acapandie also had a good season finishing with 24 goals, whilst Angel Lemaire returned on loan and grabbed 20 goals in 25 appearances - for some reason when my players get to 20 goals the goals dry up - Dimitrov only managed 4 goals after Feb. Fourth choice Striker was Stephen Keane who produced the goods when called upon.

Overview - we did OK in the Cups well until we met Coventry, they knocked us out of the Carling Cup in the Second Round and beat us in the FA Cup 5th Round - after we needed a replay to beat Barnsley and just about beat Rotherham.

Manager Profile - no real changes, whilst it's taken 476 games to reach the Premiership.

Finances - we finish the season with £5.5m in the bank, as our new stadium boosts gates reciepts by £6m it's also nice to be playing on grass instead of mud as we now have a decent pitch whilst having Adequate Facilities.

We were also helped by our kit sponsorship jumping from £7.5K p/a to £65K p/a though a six year deal is looking a little silly right now.

So the plan for next season is to somehow survive in the Premiership - the Homegrown rules aren't a problem as I only have 17 players of which only 7 are over 21 - and 8 of them are actually homegrown with 5 due to become over the next couple of years, top of my shopping list is a right winger as I don't have one whilst some cover would be nice (as well as some actual Premiership ability players)

The board have given me £18m and £100K p/w wage budget to keep us in the Premiership which we might need as we have been given odds of 5000-1 :eek:

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11        Blue Square North         1st              Promoted - Champions
2011/12        Blue Square Premier       3rd              Promoted - Play-offs
2012/13        League Two                8th
2013/14        League Two                11th
2014/15        League Two                15th
2015/16        League Two                3rd              Promoted
2016/17        League One                1st              Promoted - Champions
2017/18        Championship              15th
2018/19        Championship              3rd              Promoted - Play-offs

Dartford - Barclays Premier League - 2029/30

Predicted: 3rd

Finished: 1st

Over the summer I sold on my new top strikers, although Intezar and Ortega did get me just under £60million combined.

The question would be, could I make up the goals? Could we go further in the Champions League after last seasons poor exit?

League Table

League Table Graph

The 'Invincibles' is a label I don't mind. Amazingly (and quite frustratingly), despite being unbeaten we still had to go all the way until the final match, as Man Utd were damn close to being as good. In fact the only loss they had was to us. :cool:

Community Shield Got this meaningless plate back.

Carling Cup Disappointing once again and the reserves/youth players really haven't been grabbing their opportunities in the last few years.

FA Cup Always nice to win the FA Cup and whilst unfortunately the final was a complete borefest with Man Utd, we did pull through and grab the win on penalties.

Champions League A shocking display of defensive nervousness cost us this year as Lyon scored in the last 10 minutes with one of the softest goals I have ever seen. Gutted and moreover.. angry.

-----------------------------------

Squad The squad looks good and I'm happy with the youth trying to break the first XI.

Dartford players representing..

World Team of the Year

European Goalkeeper of the Year

European Defender of the Year

FWA Footballer of the Year

PFA Young Player of the Year

Premier League Top Scorer

PFA Player of the Year

-----------------------------------

Transfers Ortega and Intezar made way for Inter and Athletico Madrid for just under £60million together. 21 year old German, Marko Grgic was bought from Chelsea for £34million and he fully lived up to his price tag. The other big buy was Argentinian, Cristian Huarte for £28million.

Finances Getting more and more pleasant looking every season.

------------------------------------

The Invincibles

GK: Dmitry Tischenko - Biography

RB: Rik De Jong - Biography

CB: Curtis Mutch - Biography

CB: Javier - Biography

LB: Mario Henrique - Biography

MR: Cristian Huarte - Biography

MC: Dida - Biography

MC: Eneko Martin - Biography

ML: Ricardinho - Biography

FC: Tiaguinho - Biography

FC: Marko Grgic - Biography

Replacements

Perez - Biography

Steven Byrne - Biography

Phil Burt

Conor Buchanan

Noam Dumont - Biography

Alain Keller - Biography

Kirichenko - Biography

Klebson

Youth Prospects

Al-Humaidi Goalkeeper bought for 20k and now a wonderkid. :thup:

Also got this lad through at the end of this season with the new youth intake..

The new Jamie Carragher? Do I have him shot or something or actually train him? ;)

Hanging up their boots

I have another first for me this season..someone retiring at Dartford!

Usually I have them shipped out by now but Roberto Conte has been a good servant for us and shortly after retirement at the end of June now (after alot of advice yours truly) has become a coach.

And going by his biography, he will have plenty to look back on.

Club Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square South        4th         Promoted Via Play-Offs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      5th         Defeated in Play-Off Semi-Final
2012/13   Blue Square Premier      1st         Promoted as Champions
2013/14   Coca Cola League Two     10th        n/a 
2014/15   Coca Cola League Two     2nd         Promoted
2015/16   Coca Cola League One     6th         Defeated in Play-Off Semi-Final
2016/17   Coca Cola League One     9th         n/a
2017/18   Coca Cola League One     1st         Promoted as Champions
2018/19   Coca Cola Championship   13th        n/a
2019/20   Coca Cola Championship   3rd         Promoted Via Play-Offs
2020/21   Barclays Premier League  8th         n/a
2021/22   Barclays Premier League  10th        Qualified for Europa League via Fair Play League
2022/23   Barclays Premier League  16th        n/a
2023/24   Barclays Premier League  15th        n/a
2024/25   Barclays Premier League  5th         Carling Cup Winners, FA Cup finalists, Qualified for Europa League
2025/26   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League Winners, Europa League Winners, Qualified for the Champions League
2026/27   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League Winners, FA Cup Winners, Champions League Winners, Super Cup Winners

[i]Challenge Complete[/i]

2027/28   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL Winners, FA Cup Winners, CWC Winners, CL Winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL Winners, CWC Winners
2029/30   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL Winners, FA Cup Winners

International Career Overview

Season    Nation                   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Hired by Brazil[/b]

2027/28   Brazil                   N/A
2028/29   Brazil                   Qualified for the 2030 World Cup

[b]Sacked by Brazil[/b]

Next Season

Got a good sized stadium expansion to look forward to being completed firstly.

We are now ranked the number one team in Europe so I would like to think we could get past the Quarter Finals of the Champions League this season.

The biggest worry for next season will be how we cope without Curtis Mutch for the first load of months of the season. I may have to bring someone in, depending on confidence with my back-ups.

just had the first decent looking youth player come through in about 10 years. listed as a promising striker chelsea have nicked him off me in aug for 1.1 million compansation as he was only on a youth contract.

next time i will have to offer a contract on the day they come through :(

Played Chelsea a month later in the league cup and was surprised to see him used as a sub, he must have been my 6 or 7 th best striker.

i won the match though :D

Merthyr Tydfill Championship 2025/26

Table

Position

FA Cup - 4th Rd

League Cup - 3rd Rd

I started this season in reasonable form but won 8 games in a row in dec and jan. I followed this up with a ten game unbeaten run from feb to mar to put me in playoff contention. i needed in the last game of the season to put me in 6th and the playoffs. I won the first leg at home 1-0 against Burnley. After being 1-0 up in the second leg as well i conceeded 2 goals in the last 25 mins to put the match into ET. With no further goals the match went to penalties which i lost 5-3.

In the League cup i was completely outclassed 5-2 at home to Premiership Tottenham.

In the FA cup i lost 1-0 at home to premeirship Arsenal when i deserved to win.

Transfers

I only had 1 million to spend this year but bought Antonacci over 48 months to strengthen the defence. I resigned Gagliardi but this upset the whole squad and his form was also poor so i sold him on in Jan for a good profit. Santamaria was sold on as i had several goalies. Guteirrez was a backup player and was sold when a decent offer was made as was Yahia.

Squad

Vitello and Bonetti both showed good form and are really progressing into quality keepers.

If my rep was higher i'm sure Hagelstein would be a wonderkid but his performance was not good enough for his ability.

Miguel was disappointing sothe veteran Riveria came in and was excellent.

Antonnaci was the best of the centre defenders, with Bray and Tederschi just behind.

Roberto and Volpi were good on the wings. Rodriguez and Morisse were the mainstays in the centre midfield with Cano and Martin coming in and performing to the same standard.

Amestoy and Lehmann were in great form although they still missed a lot of chances, Kilicasian and Abraham were very disappointing.

Star Player - Not as many assists as i would like but his goal threat makes up for this, unfortunately now wants to leave.

Career so far:

Season    League                       Position    Achievements

2010/11   Blue Square South             3rd         Promoted via playoffs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier           9th         None
2012/13   Blue Square Premier           2nd         Promoted via playoffs
2013/14   League 2                      15th        None  
2014/15   League 2                      13th        JPT Winners
2015/16   League 2                      5th         Promoted via playoffs
2016/17   League 1                      13th        None 
2017/18   League 1                      14th        None 
2018/19   League 1                      12th        None
2019/20   League 1                      15th        None
2020/21   League 1                      14th        None
2021/22   League 1                      1st         JPT Winners,Champions
2022/23   Championship                  16th        None
2023/24   Championship                  8th         None
2024/25   Championship                  10th        None
2025/26   Championship                  6th         Playoff semi-finalists

To bad thebaker! Penalties always is a gamble thingy. Good luck next year!

i'm into the next season already and its not going well, after 16 games i'm 8 points from 6th. Too many of my players now want to leave and have submitted transfer requests, luckily i've put massive prices on them so no-one has made a bid but morale is not the best.

Does anyone know if anybody is using Stocksbridge? Im doing sort of dafuges challenge but I didn't holiday the first season and got Stocksbridge into the Blue Square North which is the equivalent of Dafuges Challenge.

How did you get them into the BSN?

unlucky with bradford park avenue, Nuneaton should be a lot easier

Yeah, I've just figured that out. Didn't look at the reputations in the OP, just took Nuneaton because they looked to have a pretty thin squad that I could quickly shape my own way rather than being stuck with the lifeless dross that I had at BPA. So I take over and I find that the media are predicting us to finish 5th and likewise the board want us to finish in the play-offs.

If I get sacked in this one then I'll continue with the save and just take over someone else who gets promoted in future years.

Yeah, I've just figured that out. Didn't look at the reputations in the OP, just took Nuneaton because they looked to have a pretty thin squad that I could quickly shape my own way rather than being stuck with the lifeless dross that I had at BPA. So I take over and I find that the media are predicting us to finish 5th and likewise the board want us to finish in the play-offs.

If I get sacked in this one then I'll continue with the save and just take over someone else who gets promoted in future years.

Nuneaton sacked me :( then 20 years of awesome at Merthyr :cool:

2018/19 - Hendon - League 2

Once again, I hoped for improvement and maybe challenge for the playoffs. We did both in the end but the latter not so well. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with this year's performance.

Media Prediction: 21st

League Finish: 10th

League Graph

As you can see, the media know nothing. In our three years, they've predicted us to get relegated twice and struggle to survive and for three years, we've surpassed expectations. Arseholes.

Transfers

Squad

Cups

League Cup - We crashed out to our parent team, Bristol City. We didn't go out without a fight though, I like that.

Paint Trophy - Thumped by Charlton.

FA Cup - We went on a magical run here. Firstly we knocked out League 1 Rochdale by three goals, Santonocito grabbing a hat-trick. We then struggled by non-league Dorchester by a single goal, before knocking out Fulham 3-1 to advance to the fourth rounds, the furthest we've ever got. A big TV tie versus Barnsley awaited, sadly we could not progress. The good news is we were back in black with regards to finances. The bad news is my prediction up the page came back and by the end of the season (5 months!) we were £150K in the red.

Key Players

Kevin Atkinson - On loan from Bristol, top scorer. The whole works came with him and he was a very good signing on the whole.

Adil Mecheri - The Libyan international goalkeeper and captain has been with us for some time now but only broke into the first team in the last year. Solid season, 14 clean sheets shows that.

Kevin Ballard - Another solid season at the back for Kevin. Didn't score but he made up for it by being a rock in defence and at right back when necessary.

Pascal Bidart - A grand season from the French left winger. Nine goals and 11 assists is bloody brilliant and he had an astoundingly good season.

Danny Bryan - He may not have much stat-wise but he had a great season and often set up the person who would assist for a goal. Excellent buy if I do say so myself.

Career Overview

Season      League                   Position        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11    Blue Square North          1st            BSN Champions
2011/12    Blue Square Premier       23rd            Relegated
2012/13    Blue Square North          1st            BSN Champions
2013/14    Blue Square Premier       15th            None
2014/15    Blue Square Premier        9th            None
2015/16    Blue Square Premier        5th            Promoted through playoffs
2016/17        League 2              18th            None
2017/18        League 2              16th            None
2018/19        League 2              10th            FA Cup run until fourth round.

Does anyone find these screenshots difficult on the eye?

Lying first in the Championship with 34 games played and 65 points. Tho, Birmingham City is behind me with 63 points but with only 32 played games.

But getting more and more in form! Feels very, very good, so maybe promotion woho :)

Mini Update: Dartford BSS 2010/2011

Im going to do mini updates every couple of months and then a bigger update at the end of each season.

August/September 2010:

Fairly pleased with start to the season with 11 points after 8 games leaving me 12th at the end of September(made quite a few signings so hopefully its just a case of the players getting used to each other).Im ok scoring goals but leak just as many. Transfers: The usual Scotish youngsters from Rangers and Celtic and a few loan signings (2) from Arsenal and (1) each from MK Dons and Gillingham.

Took me a replay and extra time to make it past East Thurrock in FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Rnd. I will play Concord Rangers next in 3rd Qual Rnd (like that name)

Now unbeaten in 17 but only 5 wins in that period :-O

EDT: Wierd thing is happening. My star player, Phil Parkin, broke the club appearance record a while back and then got injured for ages. So the goalkeeper who has played most of the games I've played at the club overtook him and broke the record. Then he got injured, and now a central midfielder (Sam Hatton) is about to break HIS record. Do you think I should stop playing him for a bit? I cant afford to lose him too!

Do you guys have problems with late goals against you ???? I usually make a couple of subs with 10 minutes remaining thats after the opponent score to 1-2 and THEY ALWAYS score 2-2 no mather what i do.

How do you guys play a 1-2 ?? Ived tried going defensive, contain etc. nothing seems to work and im losing alot of points this way

Do you guys have problems with late goals against you ???? I usually make a couple of subs with 10 minutes remaining thats after the opponent score to 1-2 and THEY ALWAYS score 2-2 no mather what i do.

How do you guys play a 1-2 ?? Ived tried going defensive, contain etc. nothing seems to work and im losing alot of points this way

Depends, if they're putting us under a LOT of pressure, I'll drop the general approach down one notch (eg control to standard, or standard to counter), then check retain possession and push higher up.

If it's only a bit, then keep things the same, bringing on a fresh MC can help win possession as well.

I've found it's largely down to the players you have as well as their fitness levels - my late goals are generaly conceeded when I play error prone players or tired players.

I've reduced it a bit by changing my full-back roles to defensive from support/attack, switching to control seems to work as well, defensive and contain worked at lower levels but against the better sides I've found it just results in near constant pressure.

It largely depends on what kind of late goals you are conceeding, but I'm pretty sure the determine of your players has an effect and your team-talks.

Thx for advice guys :thup:

Usually im in complete control of the game untill 60-70 minutes and they score a goal, which is so frustrating because i know where its headed=) Often the defence makes a mistake and its a draw. And its seems weird because they are in pretty good shape stamina is +14 for all of them and concentration +15.

Ill try not to change to defensive and contain and see if it has an effect with control maybee.

I cant believe this; i JUST lost the first game of the season outplayed at home by number 15 3-0, and it seems to be just what we needed The very next game

Archived