FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

So we had a nice debate to end the last one, and 198 pages is getting a bit too big for any thread. We used to start one of these practically every week, and the last one's been going for some eighteen months. So, welcome, everyone, to the brand new FMS Drivel Thread; talk about utter nonsense to your heart's content.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I was about to reply there...

I only watched the first half of the Chelsea game (It was 3am in the morning for Christ's sake), and what a goal from Essien.

After reading the various reports and debates, I will definitely say that, for their behaviour, Chelsea definitely do not deserve to go to the final.

Man, I was about to reply there...

In the eternal words on Nelson Muntz, I say to you, 'Ha Ha'.

I only watched the first half of the Chelsea game (It was 3am in the morning for Christ's sake), and what a goal from Essien.
Quite possibly the finest strike of a football I have ever seen.
After reading the various reports and debates, I will definitely say that, for their behaviour, Chelsea definitely do not deserve to go to the final.
Don't start that again :rolleyes::p

Quite possibly the finest strike of a football I have ever seen.

Very reminiscent of Rooney's strike against Newcastle three seasons ago after Peter Ramage headed a ball onto his foot about 25 yards out of Given's goal. I've got that strike in a flash movie and it's amazing. Pure quality from Essien as well.

But then you are an Aussie. You lot are still pretty uncivilised.

Hey, just because people think that we like to throw things on an open fire and burn it to a crisp before eating it doesn't mean that all Aussie's are like that!

I happen to be Chinese first and foremost. We might eat anything that moves, breathes, or photosynthasies, but at least we cook the darned things properly first! :D

Hey, just because people think that we like to throw things on an open fire and burn it to a crisp before eating it doesn't mean that all Aussie's are like that!

I happen to be Chinese first and foremost. We might eat anything that moves, breathes, or photosynthasies, but at least we cook the darned things properly first! :D

Not always. I'm Chinese too, and some of the things our 'cuisine' has are, erm, :eek:.

I ate silkworms once. Tasted quite salty. :p

198 pages? With my posts per page setting (can't remember what it is off-hand) it was 296 pages!

I'm too busy at work to make much intelligent comment here. Trying to find software engineering solutions, putting all my Eggs in one China Shop with a Bull in a Basket approach to programming...or something like that...I'm sure there are a couple of metaphors in there somewhere ;-)

On a related note, someone once told me (as a joke I imagine rather than seriously) that a hotel in Spain has a sign warning against congestion that says "Never put all your Basques in one Exit" - it was better verbally since the spelling rather messes up the idea :p

On the subject of sausages, Lincolnshire>everything else. This is a fact.

Ahhh dunno about that. A proper Cumberland is in with a shout there!

Sausages are for poor people, all us Aussies are loaded and we just eat shrimp from the barby!

Australian Sausages are probably poor mans fodder, but you need to try a proper Brit Pork meat rod.

Doesn't sound quite right when I read it back that... oO

Aye, I was leading the post count in that one :p

I want to write another story...but I can't seem to get into an FM game in any version apart from revisiting Scunthorpe which is "unstoryable". I reckon a second Werder Bremen story would be boring even though they are one of the few teams (plus a certain Brazilian playmaker) who inspire literary creativity in me! I don't think I'll be sticking with my "no strikers" Villareal experiment that I might have turned into a story. Without the ability to use arrows to show players where to make runs it doesn't seem to work - just setting frequent forward runs isn't having the desired effect - I get players clearing the ball upfield and none of my players in the opposition half!! I might try it in FM08 instead though because I like trying out different tactics and I wouldn't have to re-sign my other South American playmaking hero for vast sums of money either...then again FM08's propensity to make players over 30 useless would curtail his career quickly :(

Ahhh dunno about that. A proper Cumberland is in with a shout there!

Australian Sausages are probably poor mans fodder, but you need to try a proper Brit Pork meat rod.

Doesn't sound quite right when I read it back that... oO

Cumberland sausages need to be destroyed.....Not to sound like an 8 year old but....yuk...

Lincolnshire shire FTW!

Nothing beats a huge German Bratwurst either :p

I know this will have been talked about in depth but I have to say my part.

1. Chelsea were, ostensibly, robbed, and should have had two, if not three penalties. However, they had chances other than that so they cannot blame the referee for everything

2. I think, deep down, the referee may have been influenced by UEFA, who would never have wanted another all English final in a million years

3. The behaviour of Chelsea's players after the game was (although understandable, judging from what went on) reprehensible, and Drogba, Ballack et al should be severly reprimanded. Yes, they had lost in the dying seconds of a semi-final, but to behave like that was wrong. They should have waited till after the game then pulled the referee to one side

4. I feel the best footballing side went through, and will make it a better final. It pains me to say though, but *COUGH COUGH* Man United will break another record and become the first team to defend the Champions League. Oh the heartbreak!!!!

Inter Milan did the same to my Scunthorpe team the season before last. We beat them 5-0 and 1-3 in the group stage and won 0-1 at their place in Champions League semi, we then netted in the 85th minute to make it 2-2 in the return before they scored a 30-yard screamer in the 92nd minute.

I just shrugged and moved on. Drogba and Ballack should learn from my magnificent show of total indifference. Then again, I guess they care about the Champions League, whereas I didn't give two hoots about it :)

My Predictions for saturday

(Hope you take time out to read them)

Blackburn v Portsmouth:

Sam Allerdyce has saved Blackburn from the potential drop with some real English football. Long ball, lack of tactical ability and Violent challenges. It's always important that one man just steps in and takes complete control and by himself makes the decisions, this is what Big Sam has done and it's working. Portsmouth have slowly moved up the table and it's easy to see why, the shared views of Kidd and Hart makes such a good double act, it's always great to have different ideas from two experienced people.

Prediction: 2-1.

Bolton v Sunderland.

This is going to be a complete corker, I literally just can't wait for this cracker, mouthwatering!

Prediction: 0-0

Everton v Tottenham.

Two English managers in Moyes and Redknapp fight this one out, Everton have great strength in their side and work hard and if you work hard, your always good enough in the Prem. Tottenham have added steal since January and also Redknapp earlier. Did you know they only had 2 points from 8 games before Redknapp came in? I don't think he's ever mentioned it. To be fair to him, he signed Robbie Keane, a Tottenham and British legend. By the way dya know before 'Arry came in, they only had 2 points?

Prediction: 1-1.

Fulham v Aston Villa:

Villa finally recovered from their form and it's easy to see why with such solidity at the back, Young, Knight, Davies and Shorey, 4 english defenders, that's like trying to get through a brick wall. Fulham on the other hand are still in great form, the only dissapointment if Zamora's lack of goals, it could be the foreign name he has going, I'm sure a quick name change to Bobby Smith or Bobby Robinson would bring the best out of him.

Prediction: 1-2

Hull v Stoke:

Two teams I've no clue about.

Prediction: 0-0

West Brom v Wigan:

Wigan are struggling at the moment and it's easy to see why, they lost their workhorse, their creator, their drive, their passion, they lost Emile Heskey. You just can't replace a player of that magnitude. Luckily Watson has come in for Palacios to soften the blow. West Brom on the other hand are just awful.

Predictino: 0-1

West Ham v Liverpool:

Liverpool will never challenge for the title, it was going all so well when they had Keane but since losing his vital British importance, it's been down-hill since. However their coming against a team who look to play lovely passing football at a quick tempo, I'm afraid West Ham and Zola will never cut in the premier league with that sort of style.

Prediction: 1-3

Justifiably. I didn't watch the Chelsea game but it appears to be the case that they were robbed. As for Barcelona's claims that it was a victory for football, it wasn't, its only a victory if one team is perceived to have won fairly without help. That being said, the reactions are a disgrace and the Chelsea fans making death threats need to reassess their priorities, its only a game of football.

Unfortunately Diego was mysteriously booked and thus misses the final, what a terrific player. My only criticism of him is that he goes down too easily, great game though and Diego's goal was brilliant.

Since TPF did his predictions for Saturday I thought I would do my own ones.

Blackburn vs Portsmouth

Big Sam has done a good job since he came. He hasn't done it the prettiest of ways but i'm sure blackburn fans won't mind none the less. Portsmouth's sip has steadied since Hart and Kidd came in. Distin has finally found his feet after a terrible start to the season and it has showed with the results. I'm going for a draw here but if any side to win it it would be Rovers.

Prediction: 1-1

Bolton vs Sunderland

The Black Cats are in freefall. They couldn't score even if they wanted too at the moment and their defense is hardly special. Only one winner here for me.

Prediction: 2-0

Everton vs Tottenham

An interesting tie here. Spurs are one of the in form teams since Redknapp came in and will be most undoubtedly be hurting from the defeat at Old trafford. Everton Have a trip to Wembley to think about and have only 5th place to fight for in the league now. Anyone could win this one but I have a sneaky feeling Spurs wll nick it.

Prediction: 2-3

Fulham vs Aston Villa

This for me is a mouthwatering tie. One of the best home form teams against one of the best away form teams. Villa are back on track after finally geting a win on Monday. A draw for me this one but either one can nick it.

Prediction: 2-2

Hull vs Stoke

The worst team at home against the worst away side. Got boring written all over it. Stoke are all but safe and this is a must win for Hull if they want to stay up. If they lose I think they will go down. Win I think they will stay up. It will go to who wants it the most.

Prediction: 1-0

West Brom vs Wigan

The Baggies can go down if Hull win and if West Brom dont win then they will be down. Wigan may have one eye on Man Utd in midweek which could decide this match. I fancy Wigan wo win this one though and to send the Baggies down.

Prediction: 1-2

West Ham vs Liverpool

The Hammers are helped with Man City playing at Old Trafford on Sunday. Zola has done a tremendous job. Not only has he turned their fortunes around but he has done it in style. Liverpool have to win all their remaining games if they want to be within a chance of snatching the title from Man Utd. I do fancy Liverpool here though with Torres expected to be back from injury. I think it will be an even match but Liverpools quality will win it for them.

Prediction: 0-2

CAMRAD has no future.

It will not be a success.

I cannot stand for people trying to move back to the dark ages of 2D. I won't let it happen.

As a race, we humans must always strive to move forwards. CAMRAD is a bad thing.

I certainly prefer 2D over 3D from FM09, but then again, when we first went to 2D I thought that I prefered the all-text commentary from the older games, so maybe in time.

I'm happy to have 3D in the game, but just don't neglect the 2D engine, because I feel tactically it is more useful (and it still looks a heck of a lot better, too).

Archived