Steam Deck and FM24

Hi,

Since the new Steam Deck with Oled screen is now released I started to seriously consider buying it so I can play FM when I'm away.

Before going for it, I'd like to resolve some of my doubts and hear some feedback from people who already use Steam Deck for playing FM.

First of all, if I have bought FM24 through steam and I have installed it on my laptop, will I be able to log in to my steam account on the Steam Deck as well? Or I need to have 2 separate accounts and buy two games to be able to play on those two devices alternately?

If I can stick to one account, will saving game on cloud let me play the same save on both devices too?

Also, are custom skins displayed well on the deck, or the default skin is the only way to play?

Finally, I know that FM23 was officially verified for Steam Deck, what about FM24? Is it going to be verified as well?

Edited by gggfunk

will I be able to log in to my steam account on the Steam Deck as well? Or I need to have 2 separate accounts and buy two games to be able to play on those two devices alternately? Yes you can use your steam account on your steam deck, and no you won't need to buy 2 games.

If I can stick to one account, will saving game on cloud let me play the same save on both devices too? Yes.

Also, are custom skins displayed well on the deck, or the default skin is the only way to play? Yes you can install and use skins.

Finally, I know that FM23 was officially verified for Steam Deck, what about FM24? Is it going to be verified as well? Its not currently, but it works just as well as FM23. It's just a matter of time before it's officially verified.

Plus even with the steam deck you can dock or use Sunshine to stream to any device running Moonlight. You can easily stream to an ipad or android tablet using Sunshine/Moonlight for a much bigger screenI recommend buying a Rii i4 it is a controller. trackpad ,scroll wheel. keyboard hybrid. Absolutely amazing for FM.You can also buy ShadowCast 2 which allows you to use any device with a screen as an external display. So you can plug an ipad or tablet into the adapter which plugs into the deck and you can use it as a screen.

I dont have the deck but I use the rii i4 and Moonlight/Sunshine to stream to my 11 inch ipad and my 17 inch laptop. The laptop is just a cheap laptop with a 2k display not a gaming laptop. But you can even stream full AAA games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Baldurs Gate 3 etc

I played FM23 a bit on the Deck and was happy with it. A lot slower than FMT on my Switch, mind you, but it definitely gets the job done. Not buying it for FM24 though, since I don't want the full fat experience and I'm much happier with Touch.

I have been playing FM 24 on the steamdeck and had no issues. I play it on my desktop too using the cloud save. Works great. Just make sure you give steam time to upload/download the save before and after playing.

I downloaded a community controller set up. Not sure how different it is to the default but it works great.

I actually prefer playing it on the deck.

The only downside is I purchased the deck 25 days ago. So was like 10 days outside of the returns period and missed out on the OLED 😞

That said, the screen is fine as it is.

Haven't really played any other games on it, although I imagine the likes of Hades will be brilliant on it

28 minutes ago, trevjim said:

I downloaded a community controller set up. Not sure how different it is to the default but it works great.

What exactly is this and where can I download it?

Thank you all for the replies, really appreciate.

15 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

What exactly is this and where can I download it?

Thank you all for the replies, really appreciate.

Not sure of the top of my head but on steam deck, every game has a controller set up, and you can download ones made by the community. It's before you open the game I think 

3 hours ago, trevjim said:

The only downside is I purchased the deck 25 days ago. So was like 10 days outside of the returns period and missed out on the OLED

They might still be willing to take it back from you if you message them. 

3 hours ago, trevjim said:

Not sure of the top of my head but on steam deck, every game has a controller set up, and you can download ones made by the community. It's before you open the game I think 

You can bring this controller config mapping up at any point during the game and change it to suit you. It's very easy to download community profiles or change what each button or the trackpads do yourself.

1 hour ago, marris09 said:

Yes you can use touch screen.i want to get one,would only be getting one for fm, but considering fm25 is supposed to be a significant upgrade i wonder how well the deck would run it.the only thing putting me off at the minute

You can run Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Steam Deck fine, I doubt FM25 will need higher minimum specs than that.

22 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

What about Steam Deck docking station, is it worth buying as well?

You don’t need the official one. Technically any usb C hub like this would work unless you want something specific for example Jsaux sells a dock that includes space for a full size SDD

IMG_1003.thumb.jpeg.54dcea83983e1b5ed83af35fe1717ae7.jpeg

IMG_1002.thumb.jpeg.f5bec628c635a86c63377ed47cb0b568.jpeg

On 15/11/2023 at 15:24, RHKC said:

Can you get the in-game editor on Steam Deck? I like to change away kits yearly and edit any incorrect data. Thinking of asking Santa for a deck for Christmas :)

You can but it's not good tbh.  The editor just isn't formatted for it and resolution isn't as good as a laptop so expect alot of scroling :)

11 hours ago, marris09 said:

Yes you can use touch screen.i want to get one,would only be getting one for fm, but considering fm25 is supposed to be a significant upgrade i wonder how well the deck would run it.the only thing putting me off at the minute

The Deck struggles to go over 30fps with most modern games and more technically demanding older games.  It's decent with FM and a few leagues selected, but if FM25 is the drastic overhaul that SI are portraying it to be, then I'd expect the Deck to struggle.

9 hours ago, MorrisseyMuse said:

FM25 is the drastic overhaul that SI are portraying it to be, then I'd expect the Deck to struggle.

I disagree with this. FM25 isn't going to come close graphically to something like cyberpunk and you can play that at 40fps. I'm also expecting the CPU in the steam deck to still be very capable 

6 hours ago, DarJ said:

I disagree with this. FM25 isn't going to come close graphically to something like cyberpunk and you can play that at 40fps. I'm also expecting the CPU in the steam deck to still be very capable 

Definitely, I think the bigger issue will be if everything can still be read in 800p

15 hours ago, DarJ said:

I hope you're right and I agree FM isn't Cyberpunk. But it all depends on how much more demanding FM25 is still.

The Deck can play current FM with some performance and graphical setbacks compared to your average laptop or desktop PC version, say. So I fear FM25 could become a step too far in hardware terms and I have no faith in the awful SteamOS compatibility layer already.

On 18/11/2023 at 00:38, MorrisseyMuse said:

I hope you're right and I agree FM isn't Cyberpunk. But it all depends on how much more demanding FM25 is still.

The Deck can play current FM with some performance and graphical setbacks compared to your average laptop or desktop PC version, say. So I fear FM25 could become a step too far in hardware terms and I have no faith in the awful SteamOS compatibility layer already.

I don't agree with that. I play with the full graphical settings without issue and a couple of hundred thousand players. Granted the processing time is longer than I'd like, but then what do you expect from 4 Zen 2 cores. Given the form factor, it's very impressive. Considering that the graphics engine is what's changing I'd be surprised if the the Steam Deck can't play matches in FM25 at least on medium settings and I'd expect the game to progress at a similar rate as now.

Edited by Gangor

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 2 weeks since I have the Steam Deck OLED so I think it's worth to leave some feedback here in case someone needs it before buying.

I'm very happy with the device and highly recommend it. I managed to install all the add-ons like faces, kits, etc. without any issues, even though I've never used Linux before. It's quite simple.

Performance is great, I've loaded 20 leagues from 15 nations and it goes smoothly, although I'm only in December 2023 so far, so can't say yet how it's going to look in the future.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that Steam cloud has a save size limit (around 800Mb if I remember correctly), which I didn't know about before. My original idea was to switch my saves between my laptop and steam deck, but if my fresh new save already weights 400Mb and it will surely grow to exceed the 800Mb limit very soon, that might be not possible. In this case, I think I will just keep saving locally, meaning I will have a laptop save, and a separate steam deck save. Not game breaking for me as I tend to have multiple saves anyway, but still.

I knew you wouldn't regret it @gggfunk :onmehead::D

It's ace.

Although I don't think you've anything to be concerned about regarding the steam cloud saves, I've played multiple seasons and never had any issue with the limit.

Edited by rich10

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/12/2023 at 21:47, gggfunk said:

It's been almost 2 weeks since I have the Steam Deck OLED so I think it's worth to leave some feedback here in case someone needs it before buying.

I'm very happy with the device and highly recommend it. I managed to install all the add-ons like faces, kits, etc. without any issues, even though I've never used Linux before. It's quite simple.

Performance is great, I've loaded 20 leagues from 15 nations and it goes smoothly, although I'm only in December 2023 so far, so can't say yet how it's going to look in the future.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that Steam cloud has a save size limit (around 800Mb if I remember correctly), which I didn't know about before. My original idea was to switch my saves between my laptop and steam deck, but if my fresh new save already weights 400Mb and it will surely grow to exceed the 800Mb limit very soon, that might be not possible. In this case, I think I will just keep saving locally, meaning I will have a laptop save, and a separate steam deck save. Not game breaking for me as I tend to have multiple saves anyway, but still.

How you getting on with that save on the oled steam? Still running smooth? Hopefully purchasing one end of Jan mainly just for FM 

35 minutes ago, Scotcher1985 said:

How you getting on with that save on the oled steam? Still running smooth? Hopefully purchasing one end of Jan mainly just for FM 

Yes, it is running smooth and I highly recommend purchasing it. However, I'm still in my first season as I use it only on the go, while I'm at home I still prefer my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
В 15.12.2023 в 00:47, gggfunk сказал:

Realnamefix and db updates too?

3 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Realnamefix and db updates too?

The fix yes, no problem. Custom db/leagues - didn't try it as I never use them, but I'm pretty sure it is possible to install them too.

Edited by gggfunk