Engineering The Modern 4-4-2 in FM23: The Rise of Los Interiores

5 minutes ago, The3points said:

If you don't mind me asking, what made you pick 2 WPs in ML/R strata vs 2 APs or AP and IW in AML/R strata. Is it the 4-4-2 shape that's missing? 

Good question. It's the defensive positioning that I am looking to recreate with this shape. Solid two banks of four in defence. Much harder to achieve with AML, AMR level players. It could potentially work I guess but will just need extremely hard working players which Leicester doesn't really have. With my variation it just seems "easier" to achieve what I'm looking for. In both MR/ML and AML/AMR variations you should be able to achieve the the expected 4-2-2-2 in attack however.

Edited by crusadertsar

11 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Good question. It's the defensive positioning that I am looking to recreate with this shape. Solid two banks of four in defence. Much harder to achieve with AML, AMR level players. It could potentially work I guess but will just need extremely hard working players which Leicester doesn't really have. With my variation it just seems "easier" to achieve what I'm looking for. In both MR/ML and AML/AMR variations you should be able to achieve the the expected 4-2-2-2 in attack however.

What I've noticed while playing a 4-2-2-2 DM formation (with the 10s as AMCR and AMCL), is that in defence, my team often falls back in a flat, narrow 4-4-2 formation. If you want to achieve the box in possession and the flat banks of four out of possession, I guess the 4-2-2-2 DM formation would be the best base. Defending in a regular 4-4-2 is too wide with every mentality and setting, but that's personal preference, of course.

58 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

What I've noticed while playing a 4-2-2-2 DM formation (with the 10s as AMCR and AMCL), is that in defence, my team often falls back in a flat, narrow 4-4-2 formation. If you want to achieve the box in possession and the flat banks of four out of possession, I guess the 4-2-2-2 DM formation would be the best base. Defending in a regular 4-4-2 is too wide with every mentality and setting, but that's personal preference, of course.

Yeah I have had great results with 4-2-2-2 with Braga. With surprisingly good defensive stats. It's with CMs instead of DMs howevee. You can read all about it in my other Jogo Bonito thread.

I was just thinking that trying the ML/MR approach would give us that extra edge to get further in continental competitions. My last Europa campaign (with Real Sociedad) was too stressful for me :lol: Managed to beat Man United in the quarter finals. But then lost to Inter on aggregate (we actually beat them Away 2-0 while using the older narrow 4-2-2-2 formation but it was just not enough). But maybe your idea of 4-2-2-2 DM might give the extra defensive edge. Thanks for the advice!

I have to say this has really solved a problem with my 442 Gegenpress I've been trying to build. 

I wrongly believed that for a pressing strategy to work you needed a top heavy formation which has resulted in horrific defending.

But having 2 players in the wide midfield positions and 2 holding midfielders I've really stumbled onto something good, still not the most solid, but certainly a marked improvement whilst still retaining my attacking edge. 

And the WP role isn't something I've used before, but it really does the job. 

Thanks. 

56 minutes ago, bosque said:

Nice thread! Have you thought about using Inverted Wingers with sit narrower player instruction to avoid the ball magnet behaviour the Wide Playmaker creates?

Thanks! Haven't thought about that. If anything I wanted to encourage the ball to gravitate towards my wide playmakers. Because they are among my best players and to avoid the midfield opposition press. So kind of the whole point of the tactic is to have ball magnates that can receive the ball out wide where there is less chance of it being taken away by opposition and then to bring it inside.

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, Bitner said:

Isn't better to use Wide Men to emulate a WP w/o the playmaking focus? I think WM are the best and most versatile roles in the whole game (with CM)

Cheers,
Bitner

You can try it out if you want. But the point of my current tactical experiment is to in fact use WPs because they take up positions in the half spaces that WMs don't really do even with extra instructions. There is a reason why I went with the role. Otherwise yes I would have used something else. But it wouldn't do what I need. And I need them to be ballmagnets

Edited by crusadertsar

16 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

@crusadertsar thank you for another cracking thread.

Out of possession wise and since the 442 only uses 2 bodies in the middle, would you agree to use a narrower width when defending or do you change it depending on what's happening in the game/opposition?

Yes, using narrower width in defence would certainly make sense. But that instruction has been removed in FM23 and I'm not sure how else to set it up.

14 minutos atrás, crusadertsar disse:

Yes, using narrower width in defence would certainly make sense. But that instruction has been removed in FM23 and I'm not sure how else to set it up.

I'm still playing FM21, but I think it's a combination of pressing traps and invite/prevent crosses.

So trap inside(?)  and invite crosses to use a narrower width when defending.

Defensive Width has been replaced, too, with four new Instructions, all of which will help you better set up your defensive shape in different zones of the pitch. Outside of your own defensive third, you now have instructions to tell your team to set up a pressing trap out wide or in central areas, affecting the way your team positions and presses when defending – this can be used as an attempt to funnel the opposition into the area of your choice. Previously, Defensive Width was based around stopping or inviting crosses, but now they are stripped back and presented as their own instructions; you can set your players to be narrow and defend the cross, or ask your full-backs to stop the cross at the source.

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I'm still playing FM21, but I think it's a combination of pressing traps and invite/prevent crosses.

So trap inside(?)  and invite crosses to use a narrower width when defending.

Defensive Width has been replaced, too, with four new Instructions, all of which will help you better set up your defensive shape in different zones of the pitch. Outside of your own defensive third, you now have instructions to tell your team to set up a pressing trap out wide or in central areas, affecting the way your team positions and presses when defending – this can be used as an attempt to funnel the opposition into the area of your choice. Previously, Defensive Width was based around stopping or inviting crosses, but now they are stripped back and presented as their own instructions; you can set your players to be narrow and defend the cross, or ask your full-backs to stop the cross at the source.

Oh yeah true :thup: good point 

On 19/01/2023 at 12:19, crusadertsar said:

While the 4-2-2-2 Magic Box has been immensely influential in developing a distinctive style that we associate with Brazilian Jogo Bonito, it also had a big impact on the course of football in the rest of the world. The effects of the Magic Box (or Rectangle if you will) can be felt most strongly in the modern 4-4-2 variant. A tactic that has become rather famous in Europe, thanks to the efforts of one South American manager. Surprisingly, he was not born in Brazil.

Manuel Pellegrini, the legendary Chilean manager, is known for being an engineer (civil engineering degree from the University Of Chile) both in real life and on the football pitch. He made a name for himself during his managerial stints in the top leagues of Spain and England. In these two countries, Pellegrini was able to transform the fortunes of two moderate (at the time) clubs and turn them into Champions League regulars. I am talking about about Villareal and Man City of course. And he did this in both cases by picking a tactical system which best utilized the abilities of their most gifted players. Not by trying to force his players into one of the "trending" tactics, like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

I was actually quite surprised when doing a search on Pellegrini on this forum to find that there are not that many threads about this visionary manager. One excellent discussion thread does seem to pop up consistently. And it actually inspired me to try out my own variation on Pellegrini formula.

In true engineering fashion, Pellegrini took on the task of trying to make the the individual parts of his system function as efficiently as possible. No pacey wingers or inside forwards to make 4-2-3-1 work? No problem. Just play with two excellent #10s that your team already has instead. This philosophy is also something that has fascinated me in FM23. I love the challenge of maximising the potential of a troubled squad. So for this purpose I took over flailing Leicester (relegated after first season in my save) and tried to see whether I could make something special out of their individual players. On the individual level they are a rather great bunch but clearly something was not working in the previous system they were used in. Thus the English Championship became my perfect testing ground for a somewhat eccentric, Pellegrini-inspired "modern" 4-4-2 formation.

Pellegrini's favoured formation is the 4-2-2-2, very South American "Magic Box". But it's essentially disguised under a 4-4-2 and in true South American fashion has close similarities with the 4-2-4. Pellegrini is one manager who was able to maximize the potential of the 4-2-2-2 the Chilean has been able to transform the fortunes of both Villareal and Man City and make them into regular Champions League participants. And for our purpose, Pellegrini's hybrid 4-4-2 should be viewed as a perfect example of a Modern 4-4-2.

image.png.e07dfced7e8fddec73e6687205b81f3a.png

There are a few aspects of Pellegrini-style 4-4-2 that make it a very modern formation. Firstly, his wide midfielders (interiores) tuck inside. This way they can create space on the flanks for the wingbacks to bomb forward. At the same time the strikers stay forward and push the opposition defensive line in order to create more space for the "interiores" to operate in. They can also drift to the flanks and create space for the midfielders to run into the opposition penalty area. In such a unique fashion, Pellegrini can maximize the number of passing triangles and facilitated progressive possession play. A very modern concept, and rarely associated with the "old-school" 4-4-2. So this is not the classic 4-4-2 with the traditional wingers providing crosses towards the Target Forwards upfront. No, Pellegrini's idea is to have a fluid possession-focused system that builds through the middle.

Greater retention of the ball is not the only advantage that this modern version of 4-4-2 has over its old variant. The in-possession 4-2-2-2 shape can lead to central overloads in dangerous advanced areas in opposition half. This in itself can lead to better progress through the centre of the pitch. Definitely not something that the cross to the big man upfront traditional English-style 4-4-2 is capable of. You are using the same 4-4-2 defensive shape but then attack in a shape which is much more conductive to Vertical Tiki-Taka type of system.

In fact being able to return to the solid 4-4-2 shape in defence (or out of possession) is another advantage to this hybrid system. The good old 4-4-2 is still one of the best tactical systems when it comes to keeping a tight defence due to its 2 banks of 4, which can prove to be very hard for any formation to break through. And then you have a perfect platform from which to counter-press and go on the offensive with two forwards upfront. When the 4-4-2 lines up against another back four formation, both opposing centre-backs will be occupied by your two forwards. This discourages the opposition centrebacks from going into midfield to compete for the ball. And this can greatly aid your two wide midfielder "interiores".

And speaking of these interiores. It's a very special role, essentially devised by Pallegrini. In my opinion, it is basically a wide playmaker that moves centrally during possession where it plays like your tactic's Number 10 primary creator. One could argue that 4-2-2-2 can be recreated by having your two #10s start in AMC or MC positions but I disagree. If you play them there then it becomes much harder to have them defend wide when the ball is lost. Even with special instruction to go wider or to mark specific opposition players, an AMC won't defend the flanks as well as a hard-working Wide Playmaker would in a 4-4-2. For that reason, I believe that were Pellegrini managing in FM23, he probably would set up his team in this way.

modern442.png.5bdc289edeedbb12e935788b121efd1d.png

One interesting option is to "stagger" your wide playmakers by giving them different duties. As you can see in the role descriptions below, the attack duty WP will act like an advanced playmaker by moving to a higher strata, once in possession.

WPA.png.e3ece2eebe54ceae17a73a504e9cf90f.png

You can give this duty to your more offensive player (with better physicals, finishing, dribbling and off the ball.) James Maddison is perfect for it.

maddison.thumb.png.82543c7a80aceeffc9c6238c2451882f.png

On the other hand, your slower, less attack-oriented WP can be set up with the support duty. He will naturally play centrally and deeper like a playmaker in the central midfield strata.

WPS.png.f145e947eccf336a1cacef96d6c195e7.png

Youri Tielemans is already a great central playmaker, but something tells me that he could be retrained to make an even better Wide Playmaker (Support). 

Tielemans.png.8b7aa71733565f066e173370465ec33b.png

Pellegrini's interiores are unique in how they can get into dangerous half-space positions between the lines to pick up the ball. From there they can link the forwards with the double pivot in midfield as well as the defence. The wide playmakers will also offere an additional goal threat, as they burst forward during counter-attacks and act on second balls and shoot from distance. It’s also not uncommon to see them moving wide to support the advanced full-backs. The "roam from position" instruction helps to accentuate this behavior, especially in a hard-working team player. From there, your interiors may also deliver pin-point crosses or make decoy runs to create more space for the wingbacks to cross.

You really want that solid 4-4-2 shape when out-possession to take advantage of yet another tactical advantage - aggressive Brazilian-style wingbacks who bomb forward on the flanks and contribute towards the wide attacking threat. To balance this, you will need a good double pivot partnership in the midfield. That is another feature that the more traditional 4-4-2 is famous for. The presence of a double pivot enables your wingbacks to attack simultaneously without any need for complex rotations or positional changes ala 4-3-3 for example (required to have a third midfielder, halfback, to drop back between the centrebacks in order to allow the wingbacks freedom to attack).

Finally, the two strikers will stay the highest, and will be responsible for creating and finishing chances. Two Advanced Forwards might be an interesting option here. With the rest of the formation either focused on the goal creation or wide support, it is especially important to maximize goal threat up front. Thus I would definitely go with the two attack duties here. An interesting option might be to try a Trequartista (attack duty creative striker) alongside a more focused goal-scorer like a Poacher or AF. However, there is little reason to play a purely supporting striker that drops deep here. Because you have two creators behind the strikers and not two runners. Your forwards need to be versatile however. Not just pure finishers but also good team players capable of passing the ball.

Welsh.thumb.png.6b68d139c9b59dec6e1b4ef85fcfb0db.png

Probably the single best wonderkid newgen I have had in this version of FM. With enough development, he might even become a great trequartista striker for us.

In a modern 4-4-2 your forwards have many varied tasks. They need to occupy the opposition centre-backs, link play with the midfield, get on the end of crosses, through balls and cut-backs, and stretch the opposition by threatening the space in front of their defence. Interestingly, even if you play with dual Advanced Forwards, both may not be locked into acting as attacking spearheads at all times.

Naturally, your AF is one of the most aggressive attacking roles, and a natural focal point of attack, but when used alongside a striker partner, his behaviour is altered. In such a scenario, one of the two AFs may drop short to receive the ball and involve his striker partner. Or perhaps to create space for a midfielder to run in behind. The better mental attributes (especially teamwork and workrate) of your striker the more likely you are to see such "intelligent", cooperative behavior. But for the most part your two AFs should remain central and high up the pitch. Which is exactly what I need them to do.

Real-Life Examples

Manuel Pellegrini has used a 4-2-2-2 with interiores playmakers at Real Madrid, Villarreal, Manchester City and currently at Real Betis. At all these team, we often saw his formations converting into the narrower shaper from a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 while in defensive positioning. With Real Madrid, he had four great strikers to choose from in Cristiano Ronaldo, Raúl, Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuaín. At the same time they were backed up by two number 10s selected from Kaká, Esteban Granero, Guti and Rafael van der Vaart. While Real's attacking width was provided by overlapping runs from Marcelo and Álvaro Arbeloa (or sometimes Sergio Ramos, used as a right-back). Then Xabi Alonso and Lassana Diarra were solid as the double pivot at the base of the formation. Then at Villareal, the Chilean employed a very similar system. Something like the formation below.

Villarreal.thumb.webp.2e1682da4ceffa0e48590ae77c6bd787.webp

In a similar development, shortly after moving to Manchester United Ralf Rangnick started using an interesting Pellegrinesque 4-2-2-2 structure with Cristiano Ronaldo reprising his spearhead forward role alongside Marcus Rashford. Bruno Fernandes would be the formation's Number 10. Although with his wide starting position and then tucking in centrally he would have much more responsibility through the inside channels than your typical #10 creator. While Jadon Sancho, as much of a dynamic attacking threat as a creative support, operated in a much narrower role than he had previously played for England or Borussia Dortmund. Rangnick's wingbacks consistently pushed forward, with Scott McTominay and Fred forming a formidable double pivot tasked with supporting the press from deep.

utd-1024x576.png.917f918607c1c6b4faecd5bee79fcc4c.png

I am enjoying the heck out of this down in the 4th tier of Germany, thanks for the post! Don’t have the creatives for proper interiores but putting them both on support and both fullbacks on attack is helping me brute force my way through our lack of quality, and we’re still surprisingly solid on the flanks. This is a really nice compliment to my main 4-1-4-1 fluid counter tactic.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mannyhams said:

I am enjoying the heck out of this down in the 4th tier of Germany, thanks for the post! Don’t have the creatives for proper interiores but putting them both on support and both fullbacks on attack is helping me brute force my way through our lack of quality, and we’re still surprisingly solid on the flanks. This is a really nice compliment to my main 4-1-4-1 fluid counter tactic.

Thanks!

I also have a lower league version that I am working on at the moment that I intend to show off soon. Should work great with teams with less creative players. 

It's funny a few are trying this out in Germany. I started a RB Leipzig game to test this out as well. Olmo on the left, Nkunku/Szoboszlai on the right. In general, I''m happy with how it plays but I feel I'm missing something. I'm tempted to push the DM's up to CM but also to try the VOL out as an attack rather than support.

I've not tried any PI's or OI's yet so I could play around there until I am happy but overall @crusadertsar's opening post was excellent. Ironically, I'm looking at players similar to what he has used in the past (Marcus Edwards as an example) as additions to my side.

Continuing to Construct a "Modern" 4-4-2

As promised, I would like to present a lower league version of the my "Interiores" tactic. But in all honesty, it does not change that much even for a team in a Championship with lesser selection of talented players. I guess, the only real selection dilemma would be finding a creative enough player for the Wide Playmaker role. But really you can slot it any one of your advanced or central midfield playmakers in there. Even a slower DLP type. The only thing I would pay attention too would be making sure that you use a player on the flank opposite to his dominant foot. This is to accentuate the role's natural propensity to cut inside into central space in front of your DMs. 

Let us take the example of the Norwich City FC. As a recently relegated side, they are among the stronger Championship side but still not quite Premier League material. Were they to go up with their current squad, they would no doubt struggle. As has been their pattern for the last couple of years. In the past something has always been lacking in their system, either due to tactics or personnel. Thus they are a perfect side for me to test out my untried 4-4-2 formation. And to really see whether it can win the Canaries an instant promotion and to keep them in the English top tier for more than a season. 

To break down the tactic (and to hopefully make it easier for you to apply it your own team) this post will be all about examining the individual parts of the formation. Its roles. While in part 1, I went into some detail on the two WP roles, I did not cover the other roles in the same detail. And I should have, because they are very important to the running of the whole tactic. Especially in how I partner players, in each of the 4 strata of this 4-4-2, to work together in order to achieve something far greater than they would be capable of individually. 

All successful, well-balanced formations are build on two things:

1) Good initial chemistry between its individual roles/players. This is achieved in the very beginning of tactic creation when you select the roles, duties for each player. A very important phase because you really need to take time to think through how you want your tactic to work. And then once you've done that, choose the right roles for the players to achieve this. But not just that. You need to match these roles to the players at your disposal. A two-fold task that can make or break a tactic at the very beginning. It is one of the reasons why I take a very long time to choose my club in every iteration of Football Manager. I usually know what kind of tactic I want to try out first. But then finding a suitable club is not easy. 

2) Long-time links between the players in a formation. The longer you play your tactic, the better your players will get at it. This is represented by "tactical fluency" in the game.

familiarity.png.64530ee441ca92cd00359f10163d6505.png

Some roles will also develop chemistry links between each other. For instance, play your Wide Playmaker long enough in front of your fullback and they will develop a long-term partnership that can only improve how their two roles interact with each other. The overlaps on that flank will only get better over time as this link strengthens. Links between your players will take time to develop but then will stay from season to season and will remain even if you change the roles of both players. 

Ideally you want to choose roles, for the two players in a tactical pairing, that will compliment each other from the start and develop a long-term partnership which will only get better the longer you play the two players together. Even if you do not have world-class players, you could overachieve with the right tactic. IF your player roles compliment each other like hand in glove and the players themselves work well together. These two things could make even the most average squad play like a bunch of super-stars. 

So without further ado, lets move on to the role selection, starting from the very top of the tactic, its striker duo. 

1) Striker Pair - All Tactics Are Built Around Scoring Goals 

In this part, I will try to summarize my usual approach to role selection. To risk sounding like a broken record, I need to repeat the simple rule of thumb that you probably saw in my previous tactical advise posts. When selecting roles, make sure that each player does something different from all other players in your tactic. The simplest way to achieve this is through the role and duty selection. My best tactics have always been made from 11 players with different roles (and duties). This is one of the first ways in which you can achieve tactical complementarity, variety and unpredictability. It is like having more feathers in your hat, or tools in your belt. And it will ensure that AI teams do not have the easiest time against your team.

I will use the example of the Norwich striker duo to try to give an example of this concept in action. 

norwich.png.5a0ba15a55587325aa2298fe956b7479.png

At first glance, one might think that it is a rather unconventional role partnership. For once, both players are on Attack duty. Conventional FM wisdom usually calls for an ideal striker partnership as a pairing of a supporting/more creative player with one who is more focused on attack. The classic hulking Target Forward and nimble Poacher (Big Man/Little Man) combination always comes to mind. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4a8f76d3050c139b1cb4f8f0f3fb515e.jpeg

Like Keegan and Toshack duo of that legendary 1970s Scousers team, you can have the tall, strong Target Forward, holding up the ball with his pure strength and exceptional balance and laying off passes to the faster, more clinical poacher (Keegan). But that's not the only way to play the two strikers together. The more physically powerful Target Forward does not necessarily need to be on support duty to "support" his partner. In fact, a fast and powerful striker, in the mold of Didier Drogba, can be more of an asset pinning the opposition defenders back (sometimes occupying as many as two at the same time) and through his pure physicality opening more space for a more clinical (albeit slower and less physically imposing") finisher/poacher. 

idah.thumb.png.21eeead2f8d5b3e6b86aa5b528640d91.png

Norwich's Adam Idah will naturally play the role of the battering ram spearheading your attack. His technical and mental attributes might not be that impressive, but his Acceleration, Balance, Jumping Reach, Pace and Strength more than make up for that! All we really need for him to do is occupy the opposition defenders while the more clinical Pukki is left alone to move into a more favourable position for a clinical strike on goal. 

pukki.thumb.png.136af2ac30b94e88826034cbb9588340.png

So as you can see despite both being on Attack duty, my two strikers compliment each other rather well and should play off of each other just wonderfully. This is mainly due to such varied skill set. Idah has the physicality that the aging Pukki lacks. While the Finish poacher as the clinical and mental acuity to score goals aplenty once he is in a favourable position and not marked by opposition centrebacks. Physically he is not imposing enough to go toe to toe with them. But together my Poach and Advance Forward compliment each other rather nicely and combine for a very complete duo.

And that is the prime advantage of playing with a 4-4-2. Having two strikers upfront. It instantly doubles your chances at a goal. If one cannot craft anything against the opposition, then at least he is distracting them enough for his partner to create a chance on goal. If you are an underdog, in your domestic league or in Champions League, there is really no reason for you not to be playing with some kind of formation with a duo of striker up front. You will always have more chances of scoring a goal than with any single striker formation. It only makes sense. 

NEXT: Revisiting the Wide Playmakers and the Double Pivot 

Edited by crusadertsar

On 29/01/2023 at 21:12, nick1408 said:

It's funny a few are trying this out in Germany. I started a RB Leipzig game to test this out as well. Olmo on the left, Nkunku/Szoboszlai on the right. In general, I''m happy with how it plays but I feel I'm missing something. I'm tempted to push the DM's up to CM but also to try the VOL out as an attack rather than support.

I've not tried any PI's or OI's yet so I could play around there until I am happy but overall @crusadertsar's opening post was excellent. Ironically, I'm looking at players similar to what he has used in the past (Marcus Edwards as an example) as additions to my side.

You hit on an excellent idea actually. I am currently trying out a combination of SM (A) with WM on same side (I know getting rid of one of the interiores :() and with IWB (S) on same side too, moving into the space liberated by the SV. Getting some really good Total Football-style movements. Will need to keep on testing!

11 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

You hit on an excellent idea actually. I am currently trying out a combination of SM (A) with WM on same side (I know getting rid of one of the interiores :() and with IWB (S) on same side too, moving into the space liberated by the SV. Getting some really good Total Football-style movements. Will need to keep on testing!

Be careful with an IWB and two DM's. I have a feeling with two DM's you don't get the inside movement.

1 hour ago, nick1408 said:

Be careful with an IWB and two DM's. I have a feeling with two DM's you don't get the inside movement.

I thought about that too but figured that the attack duty of segundo volante would liberate the area for the inverted wingback to move into. I guess in theory it seemed better than in practical game terms

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

I thought about that too but figured that the attack duty of segundo volante would liberate the area for the inverted wingback to move into. I guess in theory it seemed better than in practical game terms

I have a feeling it's a game mechanic. I have been searching but can't find confirmation. Maybe someone from SI or @Cleon or @Rashidi can confirm if I am right or wrong.

Also, we can try it in game and see what happens.

10 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

You could move that side’s dm up to cm to make the IWB move inside? Defensive shape might suffer, though.

Edited by mannyhams

On 31/01/2023 at 10:10, crusadertsar said:

Continuing to Construct a "Modern" 4-4-2

As promised, I would like to present a lower league version of the my "Interiores" tactic. But in all honesty, it does not change that much even for a team in a Championship with lesser selection of talented players. I guess, the only real selection dilemma would be finding a creative enough player for the Wide Playmaker role. But really you can slot it any one of your advanced or central midfield playmakers in there. Even a slower DLP type. The only thing I would pay attention too would be making sure that you use a player on the flank opposite to his dominant foot. This is to accentuate the role's natural propensity to cut inside into central space in front of your DMs. 

Let us take the example of the Norwich City FC. As a recently relegated side, they are among the stronger Championship side but still not quite Premier League material. Were they to go up with their current squad, they would no doubt struggle. As has been their pattern for the last couple of years. In the past something has always been lacking in their system, either due to tactics or personnel. Thus they are a perfect side for me to test out my untried 4-4-2 formation. And to really see whether it can win the Canaries an instant promotion and to keep them in the English top tier for more than a season. 

To break down the tactic (and to hopefully make it easier for you to apply it your own team) this post will be all about examining the individual parts of the formation. Its roles. While in part 1, I went into some detail on the two WP roles, I did not cover the other roles in the same detail. And I should have, because they are very important to the running of the whole tactic. Especially in how I partner players, in each of the 4 strata of this 4-4-2, to work together in order to achieve something far greater than they would be capable of individually. 

All successful, well-balanced formations are build on two things:

1) Good initial chemistry between its individual roles/players. This is achieved in the very beginning of tactic creation when you select the roles, duties for each player. A very important phase because you really need to take time to think through how you want your tactic to work. And then once you've done that, choose the right roles for the players to achieve this. But not just that. You need to match these roles to the players at your disposal. A two-fold task that can make or break a tactic at the very beginning. It is one of the reasons why I take a very long time to choose my club in every iteration of Football Manager. I usually know what kind of tactic I want to try out first. But then finding a suitable club is not easy. 

2) Long-time links between the players in a formation. The longer you play your tactic, the better your players will get at it. This is represented by "tactical fluency" in the game.

familiarity.png.64530ee441ca92cd00359f10163d6505.png

Some roles will also develop chemistry links between each other. For instance, play your Wide Playmaker long enough in front of your fullback and they will develop a long-term partnership that can only improve how their two roles interact with each other. The overlaps on that flank will only get better over time as this link strengthens. Links between your players will take time to develop but then will stay from season to season and will remain even if you change the roles of both players. 

Ideally you want to choose roles, for the two players in a tactical pairing, that will compliment each other from the start and develop a long-term partnership which will only get better the longer you play the two players together. Even if you do not have world-class players, you could overachieve with the right tactic. IF your player roles compliment each other like hand in glove and the players themselves work well together. These two things could make even the most average squad play like a bunch of super-stars. 

So without further ado, lets move on to the role selection, starting from the very top of the tactic, its striker duo. 

1) Striker Pair - All Tactics Are Built Around Scoring Goals 

In this part, I will try to summarize my usual approach to role selection. To risk sounding like a broken record, I need to repeat the simple rule of thumb that you probably saw in my previous tactical advise posts. When selecting roles, make sure that each player does something different from all other players in your tactic. The simplest way to achieve this is through the role and duty selection. My best tactics have always been made from 11 players with different roles (and duties). This is one of the first ways in which you can achieve tactical complementarity, variety and unpredictability. It is like having more feathers in your hat, or tools in your belt. And it will ensure that AI teams do not have the easiest time against your team.

I will use the example of the Norwich striker duo to try to give an example of this concept in action. 

norwich.png.5a0ba15a55587325aa2298fe956b7479.png

At first glance, one might think that it is a rather unconventional role partnership. For once, both players are on Attack duty. Conventional FM wisdom usually calls for an ideal striker partnership as a pairing of a supporting/more creative player with one who is more focused on attack. The classic hulking Target Forward and nimble Poacher (Big Man/Little Man) combination always comes to mind. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4a8f76d3050c139b1cb4f8f0f3fb515e.jpeg

Like Keegan and Toshack duo of that legendary 1970s Scousers team, you can have the tall, strong Target Forward, holding up the ball with his pure strength and exceptional balance and laying off passes to the faster, more clinical poacher (Keegan). But that's not the only way to play the two strikers together. The more physically powerful Target Forward does not necessarily need to be on support duty to "support" his partner. In fact, a fast and powerful striker, in the mold of Didier Drogba, can be more of an asset pinning the opposition defenders back (sometimes occupying as many as two at the same time) and through his pure physicality opening more space for a more clinical (albeit slower and less physically imposing") finisher/poacher. 

idah.thumb.png.21eeead2f8d5b3e6b86aa5b528640d91.png

Norwich's Adam Idah will naturally play the role of the battering ram spearheading your attack. His technical and mental attributes might not be that impressive, but his Acceleration, Balance, Jumping Reach, Pace and Strength more than make up for that! All we really need for him to do is occupy the opposition defenders while the more clinical Pukki is left alone to move into a more favourable position for a clinical strike on goal. 

pukki.thumb.png.136af2ac30b94e88826034cbb9588340.png

So as you can see despite both being on Attack duty, my two strikers compliment each other rather well and should play off of each other just wonderfully. This is mainly due to such varied skill set. Idah has the physicality that the aging Pukki lacks. While the Finish poacher as the clinical and mental acuity to score goals aplenty once he is in a favourable position and not marked by opposition centrebacks. Physically he is not imposing enough to go toe to toe with them. But together my Poach and Advance Forward compliment each other rather nicely and combine for a very complete duo.

And that is the prime advantage of playing with a 4-4-2. Having two strikers upfront. It instantly doubles your chances at a goal. If one cannot craft anything against the opposition, then at least he is distracting them enough for his partner to create a chance on goal. If you are an underdog, in your domestic league or in Champions League, there is really no reason for you not to be playing with some kind of formation with a duo of striker up front. You will always have more chances of scoring a goal than with any single striker formation. It only makes sense. 

NEXT: Revisiting the Wide Playmakers and the Double Pivot 

Really enjoying your writing, thanks for taking the time!

I notice you’ve got your poacher, who doesn’t run the channels, on the side of the interiore on attack duty. Is that to prevent the channel from getting clogged up with two players?

I’m playing at a level much, much lower than the Championship, and am thinking of using IW(S) in place of WP since even my best playmaker isn’t really reliable. I’m getting the most success from balls over the top and crosses from overlapping fullbacks, not much intricacy through the middle, which is fine and I guess to be expected in the 4th tier anywhere. Looking forward to growing into the more intricate style of play when I can afford it!

A knock on to the struggle to play through the middle… I occasionally ask my fullbacks to “Stay wider” which has helped us to progress the ball at times.

On 01/02/2023 at 11:34, mannyhams said:

Really enjoying your writing, thanks for taking the time!

I notice you’ve got your poacher, who doesn’t run the channels, on the side of the interiore on attack duty. Is that to prevent the channel from getting clogged up with two players?

I’m playing at a level much, much lower than the Championship, and am thinking of using IW(S) in place of WP since even my best playmaker isn’t really reliable. I’m getting the most success from balls over the top and crosses from overlapping fullbacks, not much intricacy through the middle, which is fine and I guess to be expected in the 4th tier anywhere. Looking forward to growing into the more intricate style of play when I can afford it!

A knock on to the struggle to play through the middle… I occasionally ask my fullbacks to “Stay wider” which has helped us to progress the ball at times.

Yes, I generally prefer one of my strikers to run the channel/go wide (advanced forward or pressing forward for example) while the other drops off and stays central (like poacher or false 9). To add more variety to our directions of attack.

Edited by crusadertsar

I am managing Genoa this year. After two seasons of defensive counter attacking football which got us into Europe, it was time for a change. As a spurs supporter I see enough negative football in real life. 

This tactic is similar to Marcelino’s tactics at Athletic and Valencia which I tried to reproduce in Fm22  with good results. Thanks @crusadertsar for convincing me to take on the Athletic challenge. 

The tactic plays well in Italian football. I have tried inverted wingers rather than wide playmakers as someone suggested but they are too static. 

Having cutting in from the flank player trait really makes the difference. I bought Ikone and he has completed changed the way the right flank works. 

Making your forwards go wide, pushes the wide players inwards and gives space to the full backs. 

The tactic creates some nice football. 

As per Pellegrinis tactic, I have added pressing to the flanks with some added opposition instructions which works well

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2013/6/19/4445692/pellegrinis-villarreal

Edited by Rich162

On 01/02/2023 at 07:32, nick1408 said:

I have a feeling it's a game mechanic. I have been searching but can't find confirmation. Maybe someone from SI or @Cleon or @Rashidi can confirm if I am right or wrong.

It's explained in detail in the IWB role description in the game
image.png.d02b11d6d0bc6a3bc7b598dc6abfc25b.png

So, I've plumped for this for the moment:

image.png.2f45d385b4ee52ea3b1565e267b2042f.png

Usually, I wouldn't have a CM-At in the middle but with the IWB behin him I was happy with the gamble. Also, decided to make the left ultra attacking due to the CM-De offering cover.

Some screenshots of a game versus Stuttgart:

image.png.3b16b74fa7fc03aa54974eb5dd63de6a.png

All of this is from the same play (I'll put a video in at the end). WP-At has the ball on the left with the WB-At overlapping. BPD and CM-De offering options. Note the box shape starting to take form in the CD line and the CM-DE/IWB-Su forming up just in front. This is what I wanted to see. With the IWB tucking in the WP-Su starts to operate like a full back on the right.

image.png.3918c9a8108e348e69226a42768430ca.png

Same buildup play and the IWB has received the ball. The WP-AT is now starting to tuck in. The WB-At is charging forward and the WP-Su is operating wide right. Clear that four lines are formed (CD x2 - CM-DE & IWB - WP-At, CM-At, WP-Su - Strikers)

image.png.133c17c6d2abd535b0a6ed9d9e84482c.png

Stuttgart are narrow and have regrouped. Ball went from IWB to WP-Su to advance. Stuttgart striker has picked up the CM-De and left the IWB unmarked which becomes a get-out option if needed,

image.png.f82327f3463978fbd2b31c21e8b15f86.png

Two full backs have now come into line. WP-At and CM-At have become the forward two midfielders as per what @crusadertsar was attempting in the opening post, albeit from different positions:

In my case the #11 has moved like the #2, the #2 fills the #8 spot and the #8 moves to where the #11 would be. Same end product, just a different way to do  it.

All screenshots were taken from the video below in case you want a look.

Edited by nick1408

1 hour ago, nick1408 said:

So, I've plumped for this for the moment:

image.png.2f45d385b4ee52ea3b1565e267b2042f.png

Usually, I wouldn't have a CM-At in the middle but with the IWB behin him I was happy with the gamble. Also, decided to make the left ultra attacking due to the CM-De offering cover.

Some screenshots of a game versus Stuttgart:

image.png.3b16b74fa7fc03aa54974eb5dd63de6a.png

All of this is from the same play (I'll put a video in at the end). WP-At has the ball on the left with the WB-At overlapping. BPD and CM-De offering options. Note the box shape starting to take form in the CD line and the CM-DE/IWB-Su forming up just in front. This is what I wanted to see. With the IWB tucking in the WP-Su starts to operate like a full back on the right.

image.png.3918c9a8108e348e69226a42768430ca.png

Same buildup play and the IWB has received the ball. The WP-AT is now starting to tuck in. The WB-At is charging forward and the WP-Su is operating wide right. Clear that four lines are formed (CD x2 - CM-DE & IWB - WP-At, CM-At, WP-Su - Strikers)

image.png.133c17c6d2abd535b0a6ed9d9e84482c.png

Stuttgart are narrow and have regrouped. Ball went from IWB to WP-Su to advance. Stuttgart striker has picked up the CM-De and left the IWB unmarked which becomes a get-out option if needed,

image.png.f82327f3463978fbd2b31c21e8b15f86.png

Two full backs have now come into line. WP-At and CM-At have become the forward two midfielders as per what @crusadertsar was attempting in the opening post, albeit from different positions:

In my case the #11 has moved like the #2, the #2 fills the #8 spot and the #8 moves to where the #11 would be. Same end product, just a different way to do  it.

All screenshots were taken from the video below in case you want a look.

Beautiful :applause:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

@crusadertsar

How does this fare against the gegen or Man City's tiki taka? Trying to develop an underdog tactic to compete against European's greatest! 

It will do as well as any tactic would against world's best teams. That is you will often lose until you start getting better players, especially ones with better mental attributes to defend better. 

4 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

The movement of the WP differing according to their duty is very interesting. Have you seen any differences in how this works in FM24, given the positional play additions?

Haven't really tried this kind of set up in FM24 yet. But it's definitely something to test in the future.