Match 8: France vs Australia - BBC1 & BBC iPlayer (7pm GMT) LIVE from Al Janoub Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The thing is that older viewers want to see familiar faces.

Probably why Lawro and the like were less liked as they got older. I don't think he was ever really any better.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

They still have it, I listened to 5live there as I cannot abide Pearce. Been a black day for commentary on both sides. 

Not fit to lick Barry Davies' boots, any of them

Actually, credit where it's due, I did think Pien Meulensteen wasn't too bad, certainly better than the idiot sat next to her

2 hours ago, Darius1998 said:

They set up poorly in that game but Iran are definitely better than Australia in general.

Yes, definitely, Australia are the weakest of the Asian qualifiers. Japan and Saudi Arabia easily out qualified us in the one group while South Korea and Iran qualified directly from the other group.

1 minute ago, MattyMcc85 said:

Unfortunately the quality of player coming out of Australia has fallen a long way from the glory days of Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, et all

Definitely, Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Grella, Bresciano, Schwarzer were a class above the current players. We had EPL starting players, now we have championship, SPL and bench sitting players. Huge difference.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Why is that though? Did you just get lucky with those guys coming through at roughly the same time? Less money going into developing younger players etc? 

Think it’s actually because our central football federation tried to take control of youth development post that generation and have been terrible at it. Most of our best players came through local club development whereas now it’s all centralised as I understand. 

13 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Why is that though? Did you just get lucky with those guys coming through at roughly the same time? Less money going into developing younger players etc? 

A lot of it has to do with the end of traditional clubs being the top tier of football in Australia. The old NSL disappeared and was replaced with the A-league and new clubs that just did not have the foundation and routes for development the old clubs had. Also the old successful Australian institute for Sports development program was ceased as A-league clubs were supposed to have their own academinies, but they mostly do not. Some of the A-league clubs like Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United value developing players more than other clubs but overall none of the clubs is really good enough.

Also the season in Australia is too short so young players do not play enough to develop quickly and the national youth league is a joke.

Still there was some luck in the group of players that came through in the late nineties and early 2000s.

8 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

We bought Daniel Arzani after the last World Cup and he did a tour around Europe on loan and ended up back in Australia 

Arzani doing his ACL in his first game for Celtic was a massive bit of bad luck and it really set him back. Yes he is back in the A-league and not really starring.