Is Staff Search Realistic?

Is Staff Search Realistic?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think football clubs in real life have access to a list of every potential staff member in the world with details of their real life equivalent attributes that can be compared to the Staff Search Page in Football Manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but only top teams
  2. 2. Do you use the Staff Search Page when you play football manager?

• Yes
    • No, Its a bad feature of the game anyways
    • No, I don't use it for roleplaying reasons

TL:DR - Do you think football clubs in real life have access to a list of every possible staff member in the world with details of their real life equivalent attributes that can be compared to the Staff Search Page in Football Manager?

dIDsZqZ.png

If you search for "Physio" sorting from 20 to 1 for Physio; you have no idea what makes a good physio in general (within the game).

Especially in FM22; but according to skin, looks like FM19.

1. Yes (kind of actually)

2. Yes ( untick the filter from drop-down menu "Include")

Most of the time I just wait for the inbox message that says "hey we have room for another physio" or "we should improve our physio team" with 2-3 persons suggested. I hire the guy that demands the lowest wages. The same applies to every staff role. I put out a advert if the assistant manager leaves me for another club. 

1 hour ago, fc.cadoni said:

If you search for "Physio" sorting from 20 to 1 for Physio; you have no idea what makes a good physio in general (within the game).

What do you sort by then? man management or determination perhaps. With a low level of dicipline this might happen: (if you use horses to carry wounded players off the field)

Edited by Speedyol

9 hours ago, Speedyol said:

Most of the time I just wait for the inbox message that says "hey we have room for another physio" or "we should improve our physio team" with 2-3 persons suggested. I hire the guy that demands the lowest wages. The same applies to every staff role. I put out a advert if the assistant manager leaves me for another club. 

What do you sort by then? man management or determination perhaps. With a low level of dicipline this might happen: (if you use horses to carry wounded players off the field)

Pre-Game Editor is there. You can check the weighting attributes for Physio. :kriss:

How do you tell if you've got a duff physio on your staff, leaving aside the stat sheet? Among the contributory factors seems to be intangible things like how the physio gets on with the players. Can't put a number on that, really.

Anyway, re the original questions:

1) IRL HR departments have databases, I'd imagine -- more or less comprehensive according to the scale of the organization.

2) I use it less than I used to. I think the introduction of the Technical Director changed staff recruitment somewhat -- I now get better suggestions from staff meetings, though 'better' doesn't necessarily equate to 'good'. I prefer to put out an ad and then compare applicants to staff suggestions (shortlisting those for a month, when relevant). 

It is no more realistic than having the same knowledge of all the players in the world and searching for players via the search screen.  It is, however, a game and cant possibly reflect realism accurately in this sense.

On 19/03/2022 at 07:46, ImDaWeasel said:

It's a game. 

Do you think staff go about saying "I've got an attribute of 19 as a physio"?

Wild.

Application form;

"How would you rate yourself in the following areas out of 20?"

And

"Which of the following statements best describes your entire personality?

- Fairly sporting

- Balanced

- Mercanary

- Model Citizen"

And for those who turn up at interviews and are just a silhouette:

"Where were you born?"

"Unknown."

:D

On 20/03/2022 at 00:20, kevhamster said:

Is it realistic?  No.

But you do also have the option of placing job adverts and seeing who applies, so using it is entirely optional.

Issue with this is though that you cannot place an advert whilst you still have someone in the role you are advertising for. So there is no way to assess if you can improve certain areas such as assistant or hoyd without taking a chance and sacking someone unless you use staff search.

IMO the most realistic way is to remove staff attributes and base it on results in or advice (same for players but that is a different conversation);

ie.if your youth intake is generally good, does it matter what your HOYD attributes are, or the club doctor who at this point is just a name, in or sports scientists need to provide feedback like "we are getting lots of ankle injuries, the pitch needs relaying", or "it shouldn't be taking player X 8 weeks to recover from a twisted knee, imo. I would suggest that the course of physiotherapy the player is on isn't as effective as it could be" or "the reason player y is taking longer to recover than expected is that he is not behaving in line with the excellent advice of the physiotherapy team" or because "he has lower than average natural fitness".

Realise that this would be a step too far for many, but the issue with using a no attribute skin is that the discourse elsewhere in the game doesn't do enough to make up for it.

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Issue with this is though that you cannot place an advert whilst you still have someone in the role you are advertising for. So there is no way to assess if you can improve certain areas such as assistant or hoyd without taking a chance and sacking someone unless you use staff search.

You can do this in FM19. I dont understand why they removed this option.

On 18/03/2022 at 22:10, Speedyol said:

TL:DR - Do you think football clubs in real life have access to a list of every possible staff member in the world with details of their real life equivalent attributes that can be compared to the Staff Search Page in Football Manager?

Yes, I think they do but perhaps not all attributes. Their real life CA/PA isn't a trade secret. If they can realistically approach all of them is another matter.