Why did Lazio pay 2,6 million Euros for this youngster?

This is not a complaint or bug insinuation, I am just confused, it must be something I missed. The AI must get some sort of indication as to the players potential ability but since it´s a comparison based system it´s hard to tell, depends on the overall quality of the Lazio players (actually didn´t check that).

Some of the stats check out like bravery, determination, tackling and jumping but I have far better youth players overall with the same main stats. His potential ability is however what has me confused, I got a quick report from all the coaches I could and no one seems to think he is worth holding onto, I was going to release him in 6 months .... then Lazio shows up and puts money on the table, he was poached so couldn´t even reject, not that I would want to.

Could my coaches be wrong about his potential ability? Could there be other factors I havn´t considered? Or is it maybe just Lazio´s scouts getting things wrong?

josh.jpg

22 minutes ago, AurioDK said:

Could my coaches be wrong about his potential ability? Could there be other factors I havn´t considered? Or is it maybe just Lazio´s scouts getting things wrong?

Depends on the quality of the coaches vs the quality of the scouts. 

You're at Wrexham - I doubt you have the best coaches/scouts in the game. 

Lazio would have better scouts - you would hope.

I've often signed players recommended by the scouts and then my coach rates them as not having much potential. 

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Depends on the quality of the coaches vs the quality of the scouts. 

You're at Wrexham - I doubt you have the best coaches/scouts in the game. 

Lazio would have better scouts - you would hope.

I've often signed players recommended by the scouts and then my coach rates them as not having much potential. 

I am fighting for the PL and CL title, my staff consists of mostly excellent workers. Only two or three stragglers around I have for sentimental reasons like Gary Neville, I am in 2032 ... it´s not current real life Wrexham.

I agree that it is hard to see a lot of potential in that player, especially not for a Serie A club.  I would assume that Lazio's scouts would have better attributes for judging players than the club scouts, so perhaps he has a PA which the Lazio scouts have identified, one that your scouts haven't yet.  Anyway, bank the money and don't tell a soul.

1 hour ago, AurioDK said:

I am fighting for the PL and CL title, my staff consists of mostly excellent workers. Only two or three stragglers around I have for sentimental reasons like Gary Neville, I am in 2032 ... it´s not current real life Wrexham.

The fact that your in 2032 and you say you have a team fighting for the PL and CL makes me assume you have some fantastic players. Star ratings are always based on the quality of your squad so if you have a lot of 4 to 5 star players in both rating and potential then its clear there going to rate some of your youngsters pretty low. Depending on how Lazio are doing there squad may not be as strong so his current ability could easily be 2 stars with potential of Maybe 3. Also the fact he has been capped at u19 level with them stats shows he definitely has some potential I think its a good investment from the buying club.

11 minutes ago, WilsonJuve said:

The fact that your in 2032 and you say you have a team fighting for the PL and CL makes me assume you have some fantastic players. Star ratings are always based on the quality of your squad so if you have a lot of 4 to 5 star players in both rating and potential then its clear there going to rate some of your youngsters pretty low. Depending on how Lazio are doing there squad may not be as strong so his current ability could easily be 2 stars with potential of Maybe 3. Also the fact he has been capped at u19 level with them stats shows he definitely has some potential I think its a good investment from the buying club.

I would partially agree with you, but 2,6 million Euros? .... no way.

Since he's your player, your coaches will (generally) have a more accurate view on him than Lazio's scouts. So, odds are that Lazio's scouts got it wrong, rate him as better than he is and make a move for him.

Why not save and add yourself as Lazio manager, then scout him and see what pops up? Wouldn't be surprised if in the eyes of the Lazio scout he's a decent talent that'd be worth taking a 2.6m gamble on.

4 hours ago, AurioDK said:

This is not a complaint or bug insinuation, I am just confused, it must be something I missed. The AI must get some sort of indication as to the players potential ability but since it´s a comparison based system it´s hard to tell, depends on the overall quality of the Lazio players (actually didn´t check that).

Some of the stats check out like bravery, determination, tackling and jumping but I have far better youth players overall with the same main stats. His potential ability is however what has me confused, I got a quick report from all the coaches I could and no one seems to think he is worth holding onto, I was going to release him in 6 months .... then Lazio shows up and puts money on the table, he was poached so couldn´t even reject, not that I would want to.

josh.jpg

His star ratings are based on your squad. While the star ratings Lazio see are based on their squad. He may have a below average potential for your squad but for Lazio, he may be 3-4 stars.

Best way to confirm this may be to add another manager and take control of Lazio(if their league is loaded) and check your player's star rating for the Lazio team.

4 hours ago, AurioDK said:

He's also compared to the rest of your squad.

Do a side save and see what Lazio coaches think. 

Last year and the year before same thing happened. As loon as he has abillity around 80 and POTential aboev 115 u can easilly sell your youngsters for 2 millions plus if u are premier league team .

Honestly I could sell players for 3 millions in championship that had 120 potential and 90 ability as long as they play a few gamse 

Biggish club scouts do sometimes have brain farts. Monchengladbach offered me £12m + % of profit for a 17 year old LB who my coaches told me was going to be an mediocre squad player for me at best. Good personality but otherwise nothing remarkable, valued at a few hundred grand.

Bit their hand off! I don't normally sell 17 year olds in case their PA is actually underrated but in this case it seemed like a no brainer. Three years down the line my (very good) scouts tell me he's a Bundesliga 2 player, potential to be a decent Bundesliga player at best, wouldn't make my squad. Value? £2.9m.

So maybe Lazio just got it plain wrong? See how good their scouts are.

Are they actually paying 2,6 million Euros? Or is it based mostly on incentives? I've definitely signed players who turned out to be underwhelming after a promising 1 week report, but since the bulk of the fee is tied to incentives, no real harm done. 

The other option that sometimes happens is that you reject bids for your youngsters over and over, and suddenly the AI seems determined to land the player and way overpays. 

Judging any player at that age is difficult for scouts and coaches alike. Once they start getting to 22-23 years old, you start to get a fairly clear picture of what their true potential is. Anyone who's tinkered with the editor knows that the star ratings on youth intake day don't mean a whole lot, and potential 2 star players may be incredible prospects, while your 5 star prospects might not even be backup potential. Coaches and scouts get it wrong all the time, though I'd say coaches are usually more reliable than scouts, given the same ability. You were probably right in selling, though always make sure you're getting reports on your players from the coach with the best judging ability.

As far as what to look for to spot hidden gems, I'll always take the risk on players with high consistency. More often than not, they end up good in the end, despite their perceived potential at the time. Even if they don't, you end up with a backup player you can count on.

He has decent attributes for a CB and could develop into a solid low-midtable defender in Serie A, IF he has enough potential points in the tank. I've always had a feeling the AI likes brave CB's and besides he has high natural fitness which may help him improve physical attributes faster.

47 minutes ago, AurioDK said:

Potential ability ... 73, paid for the ingame editor on Game Pass :).

Wow... Lol that's awful not even good enough for the Polish 3rd tier let alone Serie A, really wonder how they ever rated him at 2.6 mil :lol:

14 minutes ago, RealSmokePL said:

Wow... Lol that's awful not even good enough for the Polish 3rd tier let alone Serie A, really wonder how they ever rated him at 2.6 mil :lol:

Maybe the AI does what I do sometimes, if I spot a 16 year old with the right stats in the right places I might get him even without scouting if he is cheap, I can always use a bit of meat in the U23s, not for 2,6 million Euros though. My U23 squad costs peanuts and filled with "right stats but unfortunately never evolved".