FM and apple silicon

15 hours ago, Harper said:

FWIW, I have played through three games not using the 2D Classic engine and have not had any crashes, yet. I did have the machine connected to an external monitor, and continued to play without incident after disconnecting and going mobile.

Was simultaneously streaming video and had the Mac Twitter app open.

For those of you with crashes, are you running other applications while you're playing?

I've been running FM2020 on its own with no other apps running. 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, kevhamster said:

To be fair, if they're not planning on releasing ARM specific versions of the game, reviewing the crash logs probably make no sense and is just a waste of their time.  I didn't know what their stance on this was, and at least we now know.

They've stated that it's running through emulation and technically not supported at this time. 

But, in putting this info up, you've given people extra food for thought in terms of making a decision to purchase or not and people will now know it's very much a case of buyer beware at this point.

Having now spoken to FM devs and Apple I agree with the above @kevhamster.

As things stand the onus is on Apple to improve their emulation to allow FM to run without issue. I'd argue the onus going forwards is on SI to ensure FM can run natively on Apple Silicon. Until I can play the game with no crashes I won't be replacing my FM2020 version of the game sadly. 

16 hours ago, Harper said:

FWIW, I have played through three games not using the 2D Classic engine and have not had any crashes, yet. I did have the machine connected to an external monitor, and continued to play without incident after disconnecting and going mobile.

For those of you with crashes, are you running other applications while you're playing?

I was experiencing crashes but that was due to a some data files. I don’t have any crashes running full 3D with safari open with multiple tabs and TD Ameritrade Think or Swim opened. With all leagues playable on full detail.

I would love an apple silicon version though.

1 hour ago, jwa2626 said:

As things stand the onus is on Apple to improve their emulation to allow FM to run without issue. I'd argue the onus going forwards is on SI to ensure FM can run natively on Apple Silicon. Until I can play the game with no crashes I won't be replacing my FM2020 version of the game sadly. 

The big question is when the userbase becomes large enough to make the extra dev cost worthwhile.  For now, it's probably down to Apple improving their emulation.

On 12/02/2021 at 08:21, jwa2626 said:

I've been running FM2020 on its own with no other apps running. 

On 12/02/2021 at 09:04, jwa2626 said:

I'm playing FM2021 and SI, via Miles, indicated it worked on the development kits.

I haven't tried playing FM2020 on the MBP, but the logic of not getting the latest version seems counter-intuitive. I'd expect some stability and bug fixes out for FM2021 as there is support cycle overlap after the release of the M1 chipset. Persisting with a game that has completed its support life-cycle at the time of the M1 chip release will never get stability issues resolved.

Edited by Harper

On 12/02/2021 at 14:04, jwa2626 said:

Thats what happens when people buy latest tech without checking out if the things they need on it run properly.

Like buying a chromebook for fm, its not going to work. 

You would have been better off buying a pc laptop for £650 that would have similar performance as m1 chip.

And wait for the M1 chip and FM to be compatible.

The onus is 100% on Apple, they knowingly went out of the x86 arcitecture fully knowing they would need to emulate this.

And they did a crap job of it apparently. Now everyone wants the software developers to clamber to make the programmes work for Apple???

Apple brought this on  themselves.

Basically you bought a computer that isnt fit for purpose, you are fully entitled to a full refund if you wanted.

I really wish people bought what they need and not what the latest cool thing is.

23 hours ago, Smurf said:

The onus is 100% on Apple, they knowingly went out of the x86 arcitecture fully knowing they would need to emulate this.

And they did a crap job of it apparently. Now everyone wants the software developers to clamber to make the programmes work for Apple???

Apple brought this on  themselves.

Basically you bought a computer that isnt fit for purpose, you are fully entitled to a full refund if you wanted.

I really wish people bought what they need and not what the latest cool thing is.

Every market needs early adopters, those who are willing to take risks/experience teething problems - it's to the benefit of those who come after them. You usually find early adopters are not those who are impulse buyers who want the latest cool thing. The psychological profile of an early adopter is one who is an information gatherer and can measure risk/reward.

I did lots of research before I bought my M1 Mac, as I intended to use it for work, and there are many applications I needed to work flawlessly (most of the Adobe suite, for example). In the 3 months I have had it, I've had very few problems, and no significant program compatibility. I actually think Apple did a fantastic job with the emulation software. However, there is still a long way to go and many issues to fix. 

And software development companies will be looking at the M1 through the lens of commercial profitability. If there is a growing market for the M1, then it makes business sense to optimise your application for the M1. Though this is less important for software development companies who have few to no competitors (can you think of a viable competitor to Football Manager?). 

10 hours ago, Betelgeuse said:

Every market needs early adopters, those who are willing to take risks/experience teething problems - it's to the benefit of those who come after them. You usually find early adopters are not those who are impulse buyers who want the latest cool thing. The psychological profile of an early adopter is one who is an information gatherer and can measure risk/reward.

I did lots of research before I bought my M1 Mac, as I intended to use it for work, and there are many applications I needed to work flawlessly (most of the Adobe suite, for example). In the 3 months I have had it, I've had very few problems, and no significant program compatibility. I actually think Apple did a fantastic job with the emulation software. However, there is still a long way to go and many issues to fix. 

And software development companies will be looking at the M1 through the lens of commercial profitability. If there is a growing market for the M1, then it makes business sense to optimise your application for the M1. Though this is less important for software development companies who have few to no competitors (can you think of a viable competitor to Football Manager?). 

There's loads of football management sim games. None as emersive as FM that i know of.

Adobe isnt on the m1 architecture and I am an ACP on the forum.

Although plenty doing ok with M1 chip on the forum, lots having issues with it too.

I am surprised that someone like yourself who runs adobe programmes have bought into the m1 chip... 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

There's loads of football management sim games. None as emersive as FM that i know of.

Adobe isnt on the m1 architecture and I am an ACP on the forum.

Although plenty doing ok with M1 chip on the forum, lots having issues with it too.

I am surprised that someone like yourself who runs adobe programmes have bought into the m1 chip... 

Which 13” laptop would you say does or can rival the MBP m1? 

8 hours ago, ashlfcowen said:

Which 13” laptop would you say does or can rival the MBP m1? 

None at the moment. But havent looked in a while. I have always said if 13inch is a requirement and you are happy with that size then no issue with m1 chip.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

None at the moment. But havent looked in a while. I have always said if 13inch is a requirement and you are happy with that size then no issue with m1 chip.

My question was a little off topic, to be fair.

This is my current laptop which does a great job at running FM and a few lower spec games.

I am however a little fed up of having to transfer it to and from work so wanted something separate to use for productivity, writing, work (google docs, canva, editing etc - nothing overly strenuous) with the option of having an hour on FM here and there. 

As much as I like the idea of having a MBP (I have an iPhone, Airpods & an Apple Watch) I'm not sure I can justify 1.2k for something that will get limited use as I'm sure you'll agree my current laptop is good enough.

4 hours ago, ashlfcowen said:

This is my current laptop which does a great job at running FM and a few lower spec games.

I am however a little fed up of having to transfer it to and from work so wanted something separate to use for productivity, writing, work (google docs, canva, editing etc - nothing overly strenuous) with the option of having an hour on FM here and there. 

As much as I like the idea of having a MBP (I have an iPhone, Airpods & an Apple Watch) I'm not sure I can justify 1.2k for something that will get limited use as I'm sure you'll agree my current laptop is good enough.

That link doesn't give the details for your laptop.  But if you're happy with it overall, then no need to buy anything else I'd say, especially given the cost of Macbooks and the relatively new architecture, which although has proven to be quite poweful, is also as we're now seeing having some teething issues due to the reliance on emulation.

Equally, if you want something good and portable, there are plenty of good 14" options out there which will likely perform as well as the M1 based Macbook without quite as much cost attached to it.

5 hours ago, ashlfcowen said:

This is about the same price as a 13 inch mac book - basic level 256gb

However, this one has a 512gb storage.

https://www.box.co.uk/ASUS-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-GA401II-BM027T_2860289.html

It would be similar performance to Mac - I do not know about battery life - not mentioned in the site.

When you go into the 12-14 inch range - you're really paying for the compact lightweight side of things.

I'm sure there's a 15 inch version of that one for cheaper.

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

That link doesn't give the details for your laptop.  But if you're happy with it overall, then no need to buy anything else I'd say, especially given the cost of Macbooks and the relatively new architecture, which although has proven to be quite poweful, is also as we're now seeing having some teething issues due to the reliance on emulation.

Equally, if you want something good and portable, there are plenty of good 14" options out there which will likely perform as well as the M1 based Macbook without quite as much cost attached to it.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

This is about the same price as a 13 inch mac book - basic level 256gb

However, this one has a 512gb storage.

https://www.box.co.uk/ASUS-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-GA401II-BM027T_2860289.html

It would be similar performance to Mac - I do not know about battery life - not mentioned in the site.

When you go into the 12-14 inch range - you're really paying for the compact lightweight side of things.

I'm sure there's a 15 inch version of that one for cheaper.

Not sure why the link didn't work.

Full specs below.

Spoiler

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 Eight Core Processor 4800H (2.9GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus Series Integrated 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS PRO SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang GK5NR0O (6GB RTX-2060, R7-4800H, 120Hz, Blank KB)

I didn't realise you pay more for compactness. 

36 minutes ago, ashlfcowen said:

Not sure why the link didn't work.

Full specs below.

Hide contents

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 Eight Core Processor 4800H (2.9GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus Series Integrated 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS PRO SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang GK5NR0O (6GB RTX-2060, R7-4800H, 120Hz, Blank KB)

I didn't realise you pay more for compactness. 

That laptop would run any game you throw at it.  Very strong CPU and graphics card.  Yes, it's going to be fairly hefty but there's very little on that which you can realistically improve on.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that cost over a grand.

And, in most cases a 14" version of a laptop would cost more than a 15.6" one with the same spec.  It's already quite a job getting high powered components to work well in the small shell of a laptop without giving off significant heat and noise, so I'm guessing the smaller chassis are even more of an engineering marvel than the larger ones!

On 16/02/2021 at 16:43, kevhamster said:

That laptop would run any game you throw at it.  Very strong CPU and graphics card.  Yes, it's going to be fairly hefty but there's very little on that which you can realistically improve on.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that cost over a grand.

And, in most cases a 14" version of a laptop would cost more than a 15.6" one with the same spec.  It's already quite a job getting high powered components to work well in the small shell of a laptop without giving off significant heat and noise, so I'm guessing the smaller chassis are even more of an engineering marvel than the larger ones!

It was around the same price the Macbook Pro would cost me right now. I haven't truly tested it's capabilities as I have a 10-month old daughter so trying to find any free time to do much other than play an hour or two of FM in the evenings is taxing - however, what I can say is to game on it, I mostly definitely need a cooling pad if gaming! 

On 02/02/2021 at 12:06, Harper said:

Might also have occurred when I had my MB connected to an external monitor, then unplugged and the game window reorganizing to the resolution of the laptop window. It's been a month since I played, so fuzzy memory.

My Mac FM folder doesn't have any crash dumps in it.

On 10/02/2021 at 11:10, Harper said:

I've been playing more heavily for the first time in a month. Haven't had any crashes and have run through roughly two months in game.

Settings are Extended Highlights, 2D Classic View (Director Replay), All graphics settings are on High, except Anti-Aliasing (Medium).

I'll play a couple matches with a 3D view and see if I get any crashes.

On 11/02/2021 at 17:00, Harper said:

An update. Have played January 2022 through June 2022 with Vertical Scrolling camera, Extended highlights and same graphics settings as the second quoted post.

No crashes at any point. Routinely have Excel, Twitter, iMessage, Facebook messenger, and Safari with several tabs open. Was streaming CL matches yesterday for a time.

On 17/02/2021 at 18:12, Harper said:

An update. Have played January 2022 through June 2022 with Vertical Scrolling camera, Extended highlights and same graphics settings as the second quoted post.

No crashes at any point. Routinely have Excel, Twitter, iMessage, Facebook messenger, and Safari with several tabs open. Was streaming CL matches yesterday for a time.

Nothing taxing there standard usual low processing tasks that most processors would be fine with at that price point.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Nope

What price point are you talking about then? I was reaching out to see if anyone using the M1 MBP was still experiencing FM crashes (and added context for my other programs running). I wouldn't expect additional programs running. But if you're running one of the RTEs? Experimental skins? League mods or experimental databases? Those are pieces that could be crashing the game.

Edited by Harper

43 minutes ago, Harper said:

What price point are you talking about then? I was reaching out to see if anyone using the M1 MBP was still experiencing FM crashes (and added context for my other programs running). I wouldn't expect additional programs running. But if you're running one of the RTEs? Experimental skins? League mods or experimental databases? Those are pieces that could be crashing the game.

In fairness, mods and unofficial editors could crash the game in Windows too - but that would be more down to these items being unstable than them being taxing on the hardware.

10 hours ago, Harper said:

Indeed. But paying a thousand pound for a computer, I would expect that computer to perform well on all those tasks and more. 

On 26/02/2021 at 03:06, Smurf said:

Indeed. But paying a thousand pound for a computer, I would expect that computer to perform well on all those tasks and more. 

You seem to be fixated on the price point / performance debate. The intent of my post isn't about whether or not the processor can perform well running FM and other programs. It does. I thought we settled that shortly after the release of the game and the M1 chip.

There are a few people that had reported crashes here about a month ago, and I'm trying see if people were still experiencing crashes playing the game.

Is it the game itself,  or a mod, or if there's a third party program in play. A couple skins are mucking around with the match panels to restore some old functionality and information. Could that be causing a crash during matches or is it just correlation?

I haven't been experiencing crashes in the last month or so of playing. Mars indicated his was because of a funky DB. jwa is playing FM20, which, while using the same emulator, wasn't developed with the M1 in mind or a dev kit available for in-house testing, so out of scope, in my opinion. @jessejessterand @Icondacarver?

On 25/02/2021 at 17:45, kevhamster said:

In fairness, mods and unofficial editors could crash the game in Windows too - but that would be more down to these items being unstable than them being taxing on the hardware.

Yeah, would expect so, but the Windows machines don't have the additional wrinkle of running the third party tool and FM on an emulator. It could still be unique to M1 Macs, right?

Edited by Harper

2 hours ago, Harper said:

You seem to be fixated on the price point / performance debate

2 hours ago, Harper said:

Is it the game itself,  or a mod, or if there's a third party program in play. A couple skins are mucking around with the match panels to restore some old functionality and information. Could that be causing a crash during matches or is it just correlation?

Is it the game? No, it's the M1 chip and the emulation, game not designed for that architecture, it's the computer, the game works fine.

Is it 3rd party? Possibly anything 3rd party will/can cause unpredictability.

Skins have been known to cause issue for donkey years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am interested to understand the performance of these m1 machines. If I got the base MacBook Air for example would I have any issues with connecting it to an external monitor, having fm open in windowed mode, a browser on the other half of the window and some word processing in between etc. I always have fm open at the minute on my desktop so I can jump in and out of it so just interested to hear if the m1 would cope fine with that sort of workload!

cheers 

1 hour ago, fmdec12 said:

Hi,

I am interested to understand the performance of these m1 machines. If I got the base MacBook Air for example would I have any issues with connecting it to an external monitor, having fm open in windowed mode, a browser on the other half of the window and some word processing in between etc. I always have fm open at the minute on my desktop so I can jump in and out of it so just interested to hear if the m1 would cope fine with that sort of workload!

cheers 

That's how I've been playing for the past month or so (on MacBook Pro). FM only shuts if I'm doing a restart. Have it connected to a monitor usually, and disconnect when I want to have the computer on the counter while I'm cooking lunch/dinner or want to be somewhere other than my office. Haven't had any crashes since December, or so. Had three different Europa League matches streaming simultaneous to running FM and was the first time I've heard the fans running.

Edited by Harper

Another question for the experts.

As far as I understand, the biggest difference between the MBA M1 and the MBP M1 is the in-built fan that comes with the MBP, right?

Just how important is that when it comes to heavy FM sessions? I'm planning to load up 28-32 leagues (minimum detail) on either full fat FM or on the touch version. 

If I choose the MBA, will I be able to cook my eggs on the touchpad or will it actually function just fine? My current MBP 13" mid 15 turns into the sun as soon as i view a match in 3D.

Thanks in advance. :)

10 hours ago, Harper said:

That's how I've been playing for the past month or so (on MacBook Pro). FM only shuts if I'm doing a restart. Have it connected to a monitor usually, and disconnect when I want to have the computer on the counter while I'm cooking lunch/dinner or want to be somewhere other than my office. Haven't had any crashes since December, or so. Had three different Europa League matches streaming simultaneous to running FM and was the first time I've heard the fans running.

Thanks for the reply, that is really good to know. I dont think my desktop could do 3 europa league games and FM lol. Thanks again

16 hours ago, Harper said:

I have a question about this. I have an 49'' ultrawide monitor, and prefer playing FM in wondowed mode. And I would like to watch "semi-interesting" football games simultaneous with playing FM.
But it lags awfully much. Sometimes it works nicely when FM is not playing matches, but in-match both the video stream and FM-graphics lags a lot.

Is this a computer-problem, a settings-problem or just an unexplainable problem?

I don't know much about computers, so I don't really know what to expect or where to begin,

I am playing with a
Dell XPS 15 9570, i7-8750H CPU @ 2,2 Ghz
32 GB Ram
NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1050 Ti

On 19/12/2020 at 18:00, Neil Brock said:

Okay, we believe this is an issue related to a problem with the how the upscaling should be working on Mac - it's not doing so when the game first launches, so would suggest if you change your resolution in game (either directly or via changing say into windowed) this should then rectify this and work as intended. 

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Have the issues with the match engine running less smoothly been resolved or is it still a manual work around?

On 12/03/2021 at 19:14, oyz said:

I have a question about this. I have an 49'' ultrawide monitor, and prefer playing FM in wondowed mode. And I would like to watch "semi-interesting" football games simultaneous with playing FM.
But it lags awfully much. Sometimes it works nicely when FM is not playing matches, but in-match both the video stream and FM-graphics lags a lot.

Is this a computer-problem, a settings-problem or just an unexplainable problem?

I don't know much about computers, so I don't really know what to expect or where to begin,

I am playing with a
Dell XPS 15 9570, i7-8750H CPU @ 2,2 Ghz
32 GB Ram
NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1050 Ti

Try lowering the in-game graphics settings or even playing in 2D whilst streaming game to see if the issue persists. 

Also, make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. 

Honestly, I think your computer should be able to handle both things as your CPU is still very good and FM is not graphically demanding. 

One question I do have though is how hard your fans work when doing this? If they are working hard it could be that you have a build up of dust or something else causing it to heat up and affecting the performance. 

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Try lowering the in-game graphics settings or even playing in 2D whilst streaming game to see if the issue persists. 

Also, make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. 

Honestly, I think your computer should be able to handle both things as your CPU is still very good and FM is not graphically demanding. 

One question I do have though is how hard your fans work when doing this? If they are working hard it could be that you have a build up of dust or something else causing it to heat up and affecting the performance. 

Thank you. I have tried lowering the graphic settings, but it doesn't seem like changing much. I have not tried to go 2D.
I'll check a bit more. 

I'm not sure how I see how much my fans are working. They are noisy more or less whenever FM is running, but not on max I believe. Is there some kind of diagnostic tool I can use to check out this?

I tried running task manager while playing and see what is happening. I don't really know how to interpret these things, but thise are my observation while playing FM while streaming at the same time:

• Processor is not comfartable in 20-40 percent.
  • There is a lot of free memory, It seems that 40ish percent of my 32GB Ram is in use.
  • I have to GPU listed:
    • GPU 0 (Intel UHD Graphics 630). This is quite often pused to 100 percent, and in particular when lagging occurs. 
    • GPU1 (NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1050 Ti). This is mostly lowish, but can climb up to full use while playing games. However, this seems to go on without causing much problems. IT is when GPU 0 goes to max things come to a halt. 

So the issues I have seems to come when my GPU 0 kicks in. (From what I read that is my integrated graphics card, not my dedicated on). 

10 minutes ago, oyz said:

Thank you. I have tried lowering the graphic settings, but it doesn't seem like changing much. I have not tried to go 2D.
I'll check a bit more. 

I'm not sure how I see how much my fans are working. They are noisy more or less whenever FM is running, but not on max I believe. Is there some kind of diagnostic tool I can use to check out this?

I tried running task manager while playing and see what is happening. I don't really know how to interpret these things, but thise are my observation while playing FM while streaming at the same time:

• Processor is not comfartable in 20-40 percent.
  • There is a lot of free memory, It seems that 40ish percent of my 32GB Ram is in use.
  • I have to GPU listed:
    • GPU 0 (Intel UHD Graphics 630). This is quite often pused to 100 percent, and in particular when lagging occurs. 
    • GPU1 (NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1050 Ti). This is mostly lowish, but can climb up to full use while playing games. However, this seems to go on without causing much problems. IT is when GPU 0 goes to max things come to a halt. 

So the issues I have seems to come when my GPU 0 kicks in. (From what I read that is my integrated graphics card, not my dedicated on). 

That suggests the system is using the CPUs integrated graphics rather than the dedicated 1050Ti.

Not sure how to sort this on Apple systems but there should be a way of ensuring the system is only using the dedicated graphics card like you can in Windows.. Maybe someone with a working knowledge of MacOS can say how this is done. 

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That suggests the system is using the CPUs integrated graphics rather than the dedicated 1050Ti.

Not sure how to sort this on Apple systems but there should be a way of ensuring the system is only using the dedicated graphics card like you can in Windows.. Maybe someone with a working knowledge of MacOS can say how this is done. 

Hi,

Thanks again. Just to clarify. I do not have an apple system. I am running a dell laptop with windows 10 pro.

1 minute ago, oyz said:

Hi,

Thanks again. Just to clarify. I do not have an apple system. I am running a dell laptop with windows 10 pro.

Ah, I thought you were posting in this thread you had an Apple machine.

This video should show you how to do what you need to do:

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus christ, trying to read this thread to get an idea of how the M1 Macbook's are running FM21 and instead the thread is clogged with this Smurf bloke taking the thread off-track and desperately trying to get people to buy different laptops.

Every Windows laptop I've had was slow as hell after 2 years or less, I'd rather just pay the extra few hundred and get a laptop that will actually last and perform like new even after years. As would a lot of people, no amount of 'ThIs LaPtOp PeRfOrMs BeTtEr' is really helping 

On 04/04/2021 at 00:58, rycl77 said:

Jesus christ, trying to read this thread to get an idea of how the M1 Macbook's are running FM21 and instead the thread is clogged with this Smurf bloke taking the thread off-track and desperately trying to get people to buy different laptops.

Every Windows laptop I've had was slow as hell after 2 years or less, I'd rather just pay the extra few hundred and get a laptop that will actually last and perform like new even after years. As would a lot of people, no amount of 'ThIs LaPtOp PeRfOrMs BeTtEr' is really helping 

That's why I left this thread. I was fed up with it and even got "attacked" because I was questioning him about it. 

I can't recommend the M1 enough. I have the base model air and it is fantastic for FM21. Silent performance, ~9 hours FM on a single charge (not that I play that long) and now problems with heat on your lap while enjoying you're game one the couch. If you would gladly pay the extra money you should buy one. The only reason I can think of to not buy one is to wait for new redesigned models that may release in the near future. 

8 hours ago, TheSpider said:

Has anybody been able to progress deep into a save? 10-15 years? If so hows the performance? 

I'm five years in and haven't noticed a significant decrease in performance.

16 hours ago, TheSpider said:

Has anybody been able to progress deep into a save? 10-15 years? If so hows the performance? 

8 hours ago, Harper said:

How many leagues/divisions/database size do you have? 

19 hours ago, Harper said:

8 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Same, I’m full detail with over 40 counties loaded. I even got bold and played a few games of OOTP while my FM save was idle.

Good to hear, I'm currently playing on a 2015 MacBook and I'm looking to upgrade. What's the likelihood a new version of the MacBook PRO M1 comes out next year? Sorry if this is a dumb question i'm a tech noob, not sure if these computers are yearly releases.  

16 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Same, I’m full detail with over 40 counties loaded. I even got bold and played a few games of OOTP while my FM save was idle.

What detail level? What's the actual setup? 

How many seasons have you played? *edit

Edited by Smurf

12 hours ago, TheSpider said:

Good to hear, I'm currently playing on a 2015 MacBook and I'm looking to upgrade. What's the likelihood a new version of the MacBook PRO M1 comes out next year? Sorry if this is a dumb question i'm a tech noob, not sure if these computers are yearly releases.  

Supposedly there is a apple event later this month. Maybe something official will be announced there. But it’s looking like early 2022, maybe end of the year.

i would personally wait until a new version come out unless you are desperately in need.