FM and apple silicon

On 11/12/2020 at 14:27, jessejesster said:

Looks great @Betelgeuse thanks so much for posting these pics. I'm so tempted to order one! I love playing FM on macs but my mid-2018 MCP just can't handle FM21 despite having 32GB. I guess 16GB is a must on the m1 eh...

Is there an 16GB Ram model with the M1? 

Can only see the 8GB Ram with M1 chip.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/12/2020 at 13:27, jessejesster said:

Looks great @Betelgeuse thanks so much for posting these pics. I'm so tempted to order one! I love playing FM on macs but my mid-2018 MCP just can't handle FM21 despite having 32GB. I guess 16GB is a must on the m1 eh...

More RAM doesn't really help - 8gb is enough, 16gb is better - but 32gb isn't going to make any difference.

12 minutes ago, WriedtDK said:

Yep - just click into the 13 inch macbook air or pro and select one - and the option is there to add more RAM up to 16gb.

M1 chip so far only supports up to 16gb as far as I know.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

But still their products (outside of new 13 inch M1) are very expensive. And I would always encourage to spend more wisely. Although nothing wrong with Macs, except the pricing. 

Good thing about Macs (and Apple products in general) - even though expensive, is that they tend to hold their value over time. Specifically if comparing MacBooks to PC laptops. And if you can't be bothered selling your Apple product they now offer a trade-in service if you ever want to upgrade to a newer model. 

3 hours ago, Harper said:

It s mostly that active leagues are more accurately simulated. They are more active in the transfer market and better serve players you may have out on loan. Scouts will have more to watch on their assignments to competitions, nations, and regions.

I also think that the newgens are spread out through the active leagues. I don’t have any personal empirical evidence to support that claim. But I think there might be a bigger chance of a wonderkid from a nation outside of the Central European and South American giants when nations like Sweden, Greece, Iceland, Hungary, Croatia, and Colombia are active.

That's incredible @Harper and makes so much sense now that you illustrate it. I play with The US and see so many players go on to be Baloon d'Or winners so I can only imagine when you have a full-force European front. So cool. 

40 minutes ago, анонимный said:

Good thing about Macs (and Apple products in general) - even though expensive, is that they tend to hold their value over time. Specifically if comparing MacBooks to PC laptops. And if you can't be bothered selling your Apple product they now offer a trade-in service if you ever want to upgrade to a newer model. 

But there's no substance to that other than Macs are overpriced - they only seem to hold their value because nobody has any idea what they're buying. They see Mac and say I'll spend £2000 on that one. But if they spent £1500 on PC they'd get much better specs.

It's really down to how Apple have marketed really - the components (up til now) have all been the same as any other computer.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

But there's no substance to that other than Macs are overpriced - they only seem to hold their value because nobody has any idea what they're buying. They see Mac and say I'll spend £2000 on that one. But if they spent £1500 on PC they'd get much better specs.

It's really down to how Apple have marketed really - the components (up til now) have all been the same as any other computer.

Oh yeah, totally. I'm in agreeance with you. 

But I think they (mostly MacBooks) also hold their value because of their aesthetics, consistent free software updates, customer support, portability, and yes - marketing. Which all come into place when trying to resell something. 

The 13-inch MBA and MBP are mostly marketed to casual users for home use and students which are normally the demographic of people that are willing to buy second-hand Mac products.

When trying to resell a PC laptop you're limited to people that are more in the know and might not be willing to settle for 2-3 year old tech.

The 16-inch MBP, being very expensive, are targeted more to content creators who have been in the Apple ecosystem for years and are just too used to using Apple products, or most of the people in their industry are already using Apple so it's easier to follow suit. Especially if they are using iPhones with iMessage and AirDrop then that also comes into consideration. Plus those said creators can normally get whatever they want as a tax write-off because they're using it for work.

6 hours ago, jessejesster said:

What appeals to you about cyberpunk 77 @kevhamster? I watched FM legend The Reck playing for 20 mins and just didn't get the appeal. Text messages, killing, searching people's flats, runing around in decrepit dystopian settings. I'll stick to goals and assists. 

I like all sorts of games.  There's lots of interweaving stories, which seem to be very well written and voiced. Plus the action sequences seem solid. 

Not currently convinced it'll top Watch Dogs Legion as an action adventure (in my opinion anyway, I'm sure most will prefer Cyberpunk) but early signs are very good. 

1 hour ago, анонимный said:

But I think they (mostly MacBooks) also hold their value because of their aesthetics, consistent free software updates, customer support, portability, and yes - marketing. Which all come into place when trying to resell something. 

The 13-inch MBA and MBP are mostly marketed to casual users for home use and students which are normally the demographic of people that are willing to buy second-hand Mac products.

When trying to resell a PC laptop you're limited to people that are more in the know and might not be willing to settle for 2-3 year old tech.

The 16-inch MBP, being very expensive, are targeted more to content creators who have been in the Apple ecosystem for years and are just too used to using Apple products, or most of the people in their industry are already using Apple so it's easier to follow suit. Especially if they are using iPhones with iMessage and AirDrop then that also comes into consideration. Plus those said creators can normally get whatever they want as a tax write-off because they're using it for work.

Well put @анонимный. Ideal for apple users who can text and use facetime and icloud other things @Smurf has no idea about.

20 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

To me the interface is hugely different. I started using a PC again a couple years ago and never felt comfortable. For someone who writes and types a lot Macs are ideal. @Smurf, I get the sense you've never used one.

I am a graphic designer and use them every day for over twenty five years. 

I prefer PC. I have an iMac cos I need some fonts that wont work cross platform and I have a PC Laptop. 

I hate buying a new Mac cos its so damn expensive and whats under the hood is subpar to the PC I have which costs half the price.

I much prefer PC. Windows 10 is a joy. I hate Mac OS and the Finder window is a disaster. Windows Explorer is much easier and intuitve.

Anyway. I have been using computers since I was 5 where I learned Basic and Q Basic before I even went to school. I gave up coding when I was 12. Something I always regretted.

Computer user all my life.

I always tell this story.

A friend wanted a laptop and i recommened a solid one for about £850.

They thought it was too expensive and bought one for £400.

They then complained to me that it was too slow and it was crap. And they returned it for a refund. I asked them why they didnt go for the one I picked and they said the price.

A week later they sent me a message saying they bought a Mac and it is far far better. I asked how mucg it was and they said £1700.

My jaw dropped. If they had just listened.

Mac and their marketing is mind blowing!

32 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

@Smurf, I get the sense you've never used one.

Its the fact I do use them and I bloody well know what I am talking about.

My advice is spot on. 

I am impressed with Mac M1 chip.

But all other macs on the market, every apple product is genuinely an overpriced, underspecd, shiny metal box. 

Not worth the money.

Just now, jessejesster said:

Weird I was just telling my family I regret not learning code before I was 12 too. That was earlier today @Smurf

Maybe we are related. I didn't even know working on computers was a job. Let alone well paid.

I have always loved computers. But I love money more. 

8 hours ago, WriedtDK said:

I'm pretty sure you can only get the 16GB models by ordering through the Apple store and they are backordered in the US for about a month. 

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Mac and their marketing is mind blowing!

Yeah they know what they're doing eh.

They're pretty much the devil when it comes to marketing haha. It helps a bit when they have almost every celebrity under the sun involved as well. Also product placement in Hollywood, etc. On top of that, they created their own ecosystem that's a nuisance to get out of once you're in it.

I don't pick sides when it comes to tech, however I do have a MBA from 2013 and an iPhone 6S that I've had since 2015, and still use both of them daily. They're reliable and they perform their purpose for me.

I know when it comes to gaming it's a no brainer and you need a PC setup. For AAA gaming in particular, Mac doesn't even come close to a PC desktop. But for FM, I just prefer to play on a laptop. I wanted to upgrade from my 2013 MBA so I was looking at PC laptops for most of the year and I just couldn't decide on one that ticked all the boxes. Whether it was portability, aesthetics, keyboard, speakers, trackpad, battery, thermals, or fan noise, there was always something that stopped me from pulling the trigger.

Then it got to the end of the year and I decided to wait until Apple released their M1 range. I wasn't expecting to read such positive results from users on here and was pleasantly surprised. So I ended up ordering an M1 MBP 16GB/512SSD and for me personally I think I made the right choice. I'm excited for it to arrive this week and to be able to play FM on a laptop again as I didn't even bother with FM20 on my old MBA.

2 hours ago, анонимный said:

Then it got to the end of the year and I decided to wait until Apple released their M1 range. I wasn't expecting to read such positive results from users on here and was pleasantly surprised. So I ended up ordering an M1 MBP 16GB/512SSD and for me personally I think I made the right choice. I'm excited for it to arrive this week and to be able to play FM on a laptop again as I didn't even bother with FM20 on my old MBA.

Value for money in 13 inch range for playing FM is the Apple with M1 chip.

Outside of 13 inch, you get much better value with a PC.

At the moment.

Off topic I am looking at the Asus Rog Dual Screen for my next indulgence. 

Macs are boring lol.

I dont travel so portabilty is not on my radar.

If it was then I wouldnt be tempted by 13 inch screen anyway, not for my work. Maybe when Mac M1 chip in 16 inch, could be a game changer... but a Macbook Pro without a dedicated/decent discrete graphics card,  I cannot do it.

Definitely when M1 chip lands on iMac and Adobe have optimised for the M1 architecture, successfully.

I am thinking two years from now.  Maybe. My work is too important to be a "beta tester".

37 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Off topic I am looking at the Asus Rog Dual Screen for my next indulgence. 

I was nearly going to get the Eluktronics Mech-15/XMG NEO 15. That has a similar performance to the Asus Rog Dual Screen and nowhere near as expensive.

But yeah, I'd definitely wait on the next gen 16-inch before deciding to jump on board to a MacBook if I was you. Especially if you use Adobe. Even though with Rosetta 2 it's usable, and YouTubers love to talk it up, it's nowhere near where a professional would need it to be.

16 hours ago, Smurf said:

I agree that Macs have not been able to compete with PCs on specs, traditionally. But there is another factor - the Apple ecosystem. I purchased my first MacBook in 2015, having been a PC user for 25 years (and a Windows certified engineer). Macs to me represented a mystery, I didn't know how to use them, or what the appeal was - all I saw was that it was a beautifully constructed laptop in terms of build quality, with a great keyboard and screen. At the time of buying, I had an Android phone.

5 years on, I can confidently say that the appeal of Apple products lies in the seamless interaction all of their devices have with each other. If you possess an iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, Mac etc (like I do), they all function as if they were the same device, it's quite beautiful and makes the user experience a joy. I guess that's why many long term Apple users are so excited about the new Apple silicon - because for years, we've traded lower specs for better user experience, but now we get both.

I was nearly going to get the Eluktronics Mech-15/XMG NEO 15. That has a similar performance to the Asus Rog Dual Screen and nowhere near as expensive.

But yeah, I'd definitely wait on the next gen 16-inch before deciding to jump on board to a MacBook if I was you. Especially if you use Adobe. Even though with Rosetta 2 it's usable, and YouTubers love to talk it up, it's nowhere near where a professional would need it to be.

No offence - but youtubers can bite my ass - most of them are useless and don't know what they're talking about.

I don't think I'll go with a MacBook - even with the M1 chip - too expensive for the 16inch. I'll definitely have to buy a new iMac and won't have a choice but an M1 chip later on in life or M2 or whatever they will call their next mysterious processor they release with no real specfications assoctiated with them.

At least with an iMac you can get a graphics card dedicated.

What hurts buying an iMac is the price - I need an 27 inch screen for work - and I have 2 side monitors but don't need to buy them again.

For what I need - an extra €425 for an i9 processor? 

image.png.e05c3ec392111494295850f6a5fcbf11.png

Let's check this out!

Ok a bit of research and this is the processors they are including in the iMac (at the moment)

iMac 27-Inch "Core i7" 3.8 (5K, 2020; 5700/XT)3.8 GHz Core i7 (I7-10700K)

iMac 27-Inch "Core i9" 3.6 (5K, 2020; 5700/XT)3.6 GHz Core i9 (I9-10910)

What am I paying for??? 

image.png.aae322201a307bb1bae824926ee225bc.png

On Amazon - the i9 is priced at $528.99

The 10700k is priced at $359.99

Why is the price difference on Apple €452? Are hey using a different motherboard? Maybe?

It still doesn't justify the huge price increase for this part.

On to the next awful part of buying an iMac. I need 32 gb RAM minimum - possibly 64gb on my next purchase.

To go from 8gb RAM to 64gb RAM is going to cost me  +€1,131.50?

image.png.d5cdfd61f1be9b83018bec11ae133dc0.png

RAM in this iMac is 

RAM Type:    PC4-21300 DDR4    Min. RAM Speed:    2666 MHz
Details:    Supports 2666 MHz PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMMs (260-pin)

image.png.12c54e3ae488ae8f0f9f5406000089bb.png

Ok - now I need a grpahics card

The one I want is the bottom one - an extra €565?

image.png.b399587d8a8ddd2719947f22febd67e1.png

Ok I need plenty of scratch disk space for Photoshop and 3D rendering etc.

An extra €678?

image.png.45b97c0daedde45bb6544db6c13ff1f9.png

Final price (and didn't even get everything I wanted.

image.png.6071357a0c8cf1acfc96cbce0ade6f82.png

I'd rather buy this

https://www.inside-tech.co.uk/limited-edition-3440-x-1440p-34-inch-curved-ultra-wide-10th-gen-aio-all-in-one-nvidia-powered

34 Inch CURVED ULTRA-WIDE 10TH GEN AIO ALL IN ONE (NVIDIA POWERED)

*Limited Edition* 3440 X 1440P 34 inch CURVED ULTRA-WIDE 10TH GEN AIO ALL IN ONE (NVIDIA POWERED)

i9 10900 - 10 Cores 5.2GHz +£442.80 (Excl. tax: £369.00)
64GB DDR4 (2x32GB) 3,000MHz +£300.00 (Excl. tax: £250.00)
2TB HDD +£66.00 (Excl. tax: £55.00)

Graphics 

RTX 3070 8GB +£658.80 (Excl. tax: £549.00)

Cooler 

Noctua NH-L91 +£59.99 (Excl. tax: £49.99)

£2,179.96

11 minutes ago, Betelgeuse said:

I agree that Macs have not been able to compete with PCs on specs, traditionally. But there is another factor - the Apple ecosystem. I purchased my first MacBook in 2015, having been a PC user for 25 years (and a Windows certified engineer). Macs to me represented a mystery, I didn't know how to use them, or what the appeal was - all I saw was that it was a beautifully constructed laptop in terms of build quality, with a great keyboard and screen. At the time of buying, I had an Android phone.

5 years on, I can confidently say that the appeal of Apple products lies in the seamless interaction all of their devices have with each other. If you possess an iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, Mac etc (like I do), they all function as if they were the same device, it's quite beautiful and makes the user experience a joy. I guess that's why many long term Apple users are so excited about the new Apple silicon - because for years, we've traded lower specs for better user experience, but now we get both.

I get the same thing with my Samsung TV my Samsung Laptop, my Samsung Galaxy Buds, my Samsung Watch, Samsung Phone, Samsung Oven, Samsung washing machine. 

I have the exact same experience as you. I can seemlessly stream my laptop to my TVs. I can turn on the oven from my phone, I can check what time is left on the washing machine. I can charge all my devices from the same charger. 

I have the same experience with Samsung. I just don't see the appeal of expensive Under Spec'd Apple devices. 

The prices are insane - as I've proven in my post above.

5 hours ago, анонимный said:

Yeah they know what they're doing eh.

They're pretty much the devil when it comes to marketing haha. It helps a bit when they have almost every celebrity under the sun involved as well. Also product placement in Hollywood, etc. On top of that, they created their own ecosystem that's a nuisance to get out of once you're in it.

I don't pick sides when it comes to tech, however I do have a MBA from 2013 and an iPhone 6S that I've had since 2015, and still use both of them daily. They're reliable and they perform their purpose for me.

I know when it comes to gaming it's a no brainer and you need a PC setup. For AAA gaming in particular, Mac doesn't even come close to a PC desktop. But for FM, I just prefer to play on a laptop. I wanted to upgrade from my 2013 MBA so I was looking at PC laptops for most of the year and I just couldn't decide on one that ticked all the boxes. Whether it was portability, aesthetics, keyboard, speakers, trackpad, battery, thermals, or fan noise, there was always something that stopped me from pulling the trigger.

That sounds a great choice @анонимный. Do send screenshots and let us know how your FM21 experience is with the new Apple Silicon shapes up! I will probably wait until next year and live vicariously through the forums until then.

7 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

That sounds a great choice @анонимный. Do send screenshots and let us know how your FM21 experience is with the new Apple Silicon shapes up! I will probably wait until next year and live vicariously through the forums until then.

@анонимный

go for it - it's the best value and performance for FM21 at the moment in the 13 inch range.

6 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Yeah, will do. I'm gonna go so deep in investigating its' performance don't you worry haha. 

It left China last Wednesday, 9th of December. I'm hoping to have it mid-week or by Friday at the latest.

This goes for you and anyone else lurking this thread - feel free to let me know if anyone has any requests of what you would like me to check out in regards to FM21 and I'll do my best to post it all on here.

25 minutes ago, анонимный said:

Yeah, will do. I'm gonna go so deep in investigating its' performance don't you worry haha. 

It left China last Wednesday, 9th of December. I'm hoping to have it mid-week or by Friday at the latest.

This goes for you and anyone else lurking this thread - feel free to let me know if anyone has any requests of what you would like me to check out in regards to FM21 and I'll do my best to post it all on here.

It was already benchmarked in the Benchmark Thread

If it's the 16gb model be interesting to see the results.

1 minute ago, анонимный said:

I'm talking about more than the benchmarks - if there was anything else someone wanted me to check out for them.

And yes, it is the 16GB.

Ok - be cool of you to test it and post results in the Benchmark thread. 

Can you check that out for me?

On 08/12/2020 at 07:32, craiigman said:

Was 2:02, I will let the spreadsheet person know. Might re run it this morning to double check as well. I think I done it on battery as well that one.

Haven't had time to get to B and C will see if can get them done today @N@sD55

I just ran the A-C benchmark on the new MBP M1 16GB and posted the results in the thread. 

13 hours ago, rsihn said:

I'm pretty sure you can only get the 16GB models by ordering through the Apple store and they are backordered in the US for about a month. 

Thank you guys, i got a gift card to Humac store in Denmark, and they dont have the 16GB Model yet :(

12 minutes ago, Damse1994 said:

It’s quite weird as their website states you can configure them with 16 gb 

Cant even choose the 16GB model. I asked when i could expect to buy one, and they told it is delayed and Apple had a slow supply right now. So probarbly next year some time :(

2020-12-13 (2).png

2 minutes ago, WriedtDK said:

Cant even choose the 16GB model. I asked when i could expect to buy one, and they told it is delayed and Apple had a slow supply right now. So probarbly next year some time :(

2020-12-13 (2).png

Yeah, that’s also why I ordered through apples own site. It actually arrived a week earlier than expected. But that still doesn’t help you, if you have a gift card to Humac. 

1 minute ago, WriedtDK said:

2020-12-13 (2).png

They must order them in pre-configured in Denmark so they're readily available.

Where I'm from the Apple Store only stocks the base 8GB, so I had to order mine (M1 MBP 16GB/512SSD) from Apple.

I ordered on 28th of November and it left China on Wednesday 9th December, and it's arriving some time this week.

And when I go onto the Apple site here, if you were to order now, the ETA is second week of January. 

So assuming that's when they intend their stock to arrive.

11 minutes ago, анонимный said:

They must order them in pre-configured in Denmark so they're readily available.

Where I'm from the Apple Store only stocks the base 8GB, so I had to order mine (M1 MBP 16GB/512SSD) from Apple.

I ordered on 28th of November and it left China on Wednesday 9th December, and it's arriving some time this week.

And when I go onto the Apple site here, if you were to order now, the ETA is second week of January. 

So assuming that's when they intend their stock to arrive.

I don’t think they do. Mine came from China as well. 

Sounds like they're ordering them ad-hoc from Apple based on the orders. 

They probably have a faster supply chain than you or I would and access to service from Apple to purcahse quicker.

Plus they would be buying them at wholesale price and selling at retail price. 

7 hours ago, Damse1994 said:

I just ran the A-C benchmark on the new MBP M1 16GB and posted the results in the thread. 

@Damse1994Thanks for sharing your results mate. Did you check of the MacBook got warm and if the fans kicked on during the benchmarks?

@SmurfI am locked in with Apple. So I am not objective. But this MacBook Air is just magical. Everything is so quick and snappy and battery life is just awesome. They just deliver. I hope someday you’ll buy an Apple Silicon Mac. You’ll love it! 

21 hours ago, rsihn said:

I ordered mine online with same day pick up at my local store.

Edited by Harper

1 hour ago, MoosAlbo said:

@SmurfI am locked in with Apple. So I am not objective. But this MacBook Air is just magical. Everything is so quick and snappy and battery life is just awesome. They just deliver. I hope someday you’ll buy an Apple Silicon Mac. You’ll love it! 

Nope. Never will. I expect spending that much money it would work as expected.

1 hour ago, MoosAlbo said:

So what are you looking for in this topic? I am curious.

Seeing as Smurf is one of the chief responders in the PC/Laptop advice thread, my guess is he's gauging for people's feedback on the new Macs.

I'm in the same position as Smurf, but doesn't mean I'm not interested to hear people's feedback on the new Macs.