FM and apple silicon

9 minutes ago, анонимный said:

Appreciate you double checking benchmark A as well as doing the benchmarks for B and C.

After browsing over the other benchmark times, it's looking like the M1 MBP 13 has the best performance for a laptop (at the time of posting this).

Has been beaten quite comfortably for benchmark D by a couple that I know of. But yes the others all seem to be top/joint top. I'm very impressed with it still.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

How much time do you think it will take to sim one day with benchmark D? A couple of minutes? 

Benchmark D took about 9 minutes for the first day on that one, other days only a minute or so. Just depends on how much is actually going on that day.

19 hours ago, анонимный said:

Wow, *20-ish secs faster than the 8GB M1 MBP which has an impressive time as it is. **

Are you able to let us know how it performs in general after a decent session? As is heat, fan, waiting times between match days, etc? And what settings you have it set to, how big a database you have loaded, if the 3d match engine performs well, etc?

Would be great to know how it performs after at least 2 to 3 hours of playing time (which I guess would be an average-ish session for most of us?)

Mine (M1 MBP 16GB 512SSD) is due to arrive between the 16th and 23rd of December and I'm hoping to be able to start a Journeyman-ish save on it.

* EDIT: In regards to Benchmark A time - please correct me if I'm wrong craiigman but I read your time as 2:22 because that's what was put into the Combined Results spreadsheet, but then upon review I read your post as 2:02.

** EDIT: Benchmark A time has been confirmed by @craiigman as 2:02 for 8GB M1 MBP

I played for 5 hours on battery with no heat or fan kicking on, closed the laptop with ~35% battery remaining.

Got my base model MacBook Air en here are my results for Benchmark A and B: 

I had a 3 hour gaming session last night and the battery went from fully charged to 64%.

Haven't experienced any crashes or other issues.

The best thing about it is that it runs silent!

1 hour ago, MoosAlbo said:

Got my base model MacBook Air en here are my results for Benchmark A and B: 

I had a 3 hour gaming session last night and the battery went from fully charged to 64%.

Haven't experienced any crashes or other issues.

The best thing about it is that it runs silent!

Impressive results.  How's the performance with the 3D match graphics?

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Impressive results.  How's the performance with the 3D match graphics?

3D match graphics are great. I haven't experienced any problems with it. Everything looks crisp and smooth. I have my settings on high which is the setting I always use. 

2 minutes ago, MoosAlbo said:

3D match graphics are great. I haven't experienced any problems with it. Everything looks crisp and smooth. I have my settings on high which is the setting I always use. 

Nice - thanks for the feedback.

So it seems both the Macbook Pro and Air are winners with this new M1 chip then.

Never been an Apple fan, but all credit to them with this.  They're even giving decent desktop processors a run for their money with the FM benchmarks.

32 minutes ago, MoosAlbo said:

Great news. Mine just got picked up from China and Apple sent me the tracking number so I should have it within a week.

Can't wait to be able to play FM on a laptop without it feeling like it's going to explode.

37 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

So it seems both the Macbook Pro and Air are winners with this new M1 chip then.

Never been an Apple fan, but all credit to them with this.  They're even giving decent desktop processors a run for their money with the FM benchmarks.

It's pretty wild to think what they'll be able to release going forward if the M1s are performing this well. 

Especially when they release the M1X/M2 with more performance cores and a dedicated graphics card.

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

A year ago, I told my girlfriend I'd never buy an Apple product for myself. In December, my mom gave me her old iPhone 7 to stand in for my busted phone. I was impressed, so got an iPhone 11. And after reading about the M1 chip and seeing it's handling of FM in the benchmark thread, opted for it.

I'm playing FM17 on the new M1 Mac Mini. I'd just finished a season so not played any games but the general loading and navigation is so quick and smooth. Not heard the fan at any point (not just on FM, but doing anything - this thing is a beast of a machine for the price).

I did come across an issue last night though. It opened in windowed mode, and the window was quite small - too small to play. Each time I tried to resize the window (either manually, or by clicking 'enter full screen' on the application window, it would crash.

The only way I could make it work was to change the display to 'maximum borderless window'. The option for playing full screen was gone. Any attempt to play on regular windowed mode caused it crash as soon as I tried to resize the window.

Hey guys, I've just had delivery of my MacBook Pro 13 M1 (16GB) and thought I'd share some details for those considering/waiting for their Mac.

I'm upgrading from a 2019 MacBook Pro 13, 16GB, and previously my graphics rating was 1 star out of 5. Playing FM21 on this MacBook was a decent performance, but the 3D engine was on "Low" settings. Setting it any higher would result in a very low frame rate, so I would generally play in 2D.

On the new MacBook Pro M1, the graphics rating is 5 star, and it defaulted me to "High" graphic settings. The 3D engine ran beautifully like this, super smooth at 60FPS (on battery). So I thought I'd up the graphics settings to "Very High" and I'm still getting 60FPS and it's incredibly smooth. Note: There is quite a big difference between "High" and "Very High", everything in "Very High" is much sharper.

Some screenshots, with the FPS counter in the top right:

2120224774_Screenshot2020-12-11at10_11_51.thumb.png.c69e640eb040185578d7870b76763544.png

1 hour ago, jessejesster said:

Oh wait, you're playing touch. Would the same go for the regular game @Betelgeuse?

The benchmark results for the full-fat FM have also been excellent on the M1 based Macs, so either way you'll be fine.

Also, the amount of RAM isn't necessarily something to worry about.  For playing FM and other general computing tasks, 8GB is fine.  16GB is obviously better for overall system performance as this will allow you to have more stuff running at once, but it's not essential.

9 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Thanks so much for this information @kevhamster. I'm really excited about the new Apple Silicon and it's good to know from an insider what the FM experience is like on them. Have you got the air or the 13? Go Coventry!

I don't have either personally, but have been following this closely due to my involvement with the PC/Laptop advice thread.

I have previously been quite averse to recommending Apple stuff, as to me it's always been very middle-of-the-road components put into a premium chassis and having very premium prices charged for it. 

However, these new M1 chips look to be a real game changer as based on the benchmarks kindly supplied by the early adopters of these, it's clear these chips are offering performance near the top of the range, so this is a huge improvement.  Add in the excellent integrated graphics capability as well, and you get an all-round excellent product.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

I don't have either personally, but have been following this closely due to my involvement with the PC/Laptop advice thread.

I have previously been quite averse to recommending Apple stuff, as to me it's always been very middle-of-the-road components put into a premium chassis and having very premium prices charged for it. 

However, these new M1 chips look to be a real game changer as based on the benchmarks kindly supplied by the early adopters of these, it's clear these chips are offering performance near the top of the range, so this is a huge improvement.  Add in the excellent integrated graphics capability as well, and you get an all-round excellent product.

I'd just add to that it's probaby the best performance I've seen for a 13 inch laptop - the MacBook Air and Pro 13 inch both have M1 chips. 

And perform quite well apparently. But the price is about £999 for base model Air and £1299 for base model 13inch Pro or something like that.

But nothing comes close to that performance or price in the 13 inch range.

However, moving up the scale to 16 inch - it jumps to £2399 - which is insane you can defintely get better/similar Windows Laptop for a lot cheaper.

Edited by Smurf

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

That's good to know @kevhamster. Pretty soon I'll be able to convey to you my experience of playing FM21 on the base model. Probably should have gone with the 13 inch but so be it, the macbook Air will have to take me there on FM21 bc lord knows my current laptop can't handle this new game! Halfway into a match with the 3-d match engine is basically game over. I'm hoping this won't be the case with the air but should I have gotten the 13?

On 09/12/2020 at 16:36, howard moon said:

I'm playing FM17 on the new M1 Mac Mini. I'd just finished a season so not played any games but the general loading and navigation is so quick and smooth. Not heard the fan at any point (not just on FM, but doing anything - this thing is a beast of a machine for the price).

I did come across an issue last night though. It opened in windowed mode, and the window was quite small - too small to play. Each time I tried to resize the window (either manually, or by clicking 'enter full screen' on the application window, it would crash.

The only way I could make it work was to change the display to 'maximum borderless window'. The option for playing full screen was gone. Any attempt to play on regular windowed mode caused it crash as soon as I tried to resize the window.

6 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Anyone have experience playing FM21 on a Mac Mini M1?

there you go

Everyone who is still in doubt. Just go and buy it! I can guarantee you will have no regret. I have the base model Air. And it has been absolutely great. Performance and battery life are great. I can play three nights for three hours a night and still don’t have to charge the thing. It runs silent and never gets hot. If you have FOMO get more RAM or the MBP. The Air is the best value IMO.

On 02/12/2020 at 16:05, Harper said:

After seeing the results @craiigman posted in the Benchmarking thread, I went out and bought my very first Apple computer. I opted for the MacBook Pro.

With this MacBook, I can comfortably play FM for a 3 hour session, unplugged.

For example last night, I played from roughly 9pm to 12am, with the following selected nations, with detail level for all nations set to "Senior Competitive Matches." My battery drained from 100% to 50% (in the white box)

image.thumb.png.4e4289dbf8cf67ded298e45bf37da110.png

image.png.e7d56c242af927d0f7fc5844a120007f.png

Browsing through Steam is a little laggy, but FM is very responsive and quick.

I miss the lack of screen real estate, particularly when it comes to the match day tablet, but I have a 27" 2k monitor that I can hook up to if I desire.

It's nice being able to sit on the couch with the missus, without wires running across the room, playing on a machine that doesn't have fans kicking on every time it needs to engage the processor. My experience with the iPhone 11 Pro Max (my first Apple product in over a decade), sort of turned my attention back to giving Apple a chance. I haven't been disappointed with the performance, yet (but it's only been five days).

I did opt for the 16GB RAM upgrade. I have not run the benchmarks, yet.

On 03/12/2020 at 07:31, Harper said:

I’ll have to look into the Steam settings. Thanks for the tip.

I already scaled it to the max resolution and either play at 85 or 95%. Had to do the later on my old laptop too.

On 03/12/2020 at 21:44, Harper said:

Yeah, I haven't had it long enough to have a routine, though, I am not plugging it in overnight since the discharge is minimal in sleep mode. If playing in 2D is less intensive on the processing, I might switch to that.

I've gone through 9 cycles in 6 days; 1.5 cycles per day, on pace to hit 1000 cycles in a little under two years 😳 I think I did that math right.

Obviously, some of that is using the computer more than I would normally, while learning the OS and having a small portable laptop with excellent battery life for the first time. I did get AppleCare+, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned and just plow through it with reckless abandon.

On 04/12/2020 at 00:40, Harper said:

Yeah, I'm basically running down to 25-30% before I plug in. Been multitasking with FM in the background this evening (4ish hours) and I'm at 68% battery. 

On 08/12/2020 at 19:45, Harper said:

I played for 5 hours on battery with no heat or fan kicking on, closed the laptop with ~35% battery remaining.

On 09/12/2020 at 11:29, Harper said:

A year ago, I told my girlfriend I'd never buy an Apple product for myself. In December, my mom gave me her old iPhone 7 to stand in for my busted phone. I was impressed, so got an iPhone 11. And after reading about the M1 chip and seeing it's handling of FM in the benchmark thread, opted for it.

@jessejesster I can't recommend it enough, especially if you are looking for something that is both portable and FM capable. My only regret is not having patience for a 16" version of this machine!

That's great to read and see @Harper and thanks for reposting this thread.

They won't make a 16 inch for another year probably! Or perhaps May 2021? Probably a 15 in May. 

As eager as I am to play FM21 properly, I will probably wait until May to update and until then run small saves with 3-4 leagues on my older machine. 

1 minute ago, jessejesster said:

BTW how do you find playing with over 25 leagues @Harper? I've never been able to play with more than 10. I imagine you have so many wonderkids to find. I can't imagine how laggy it would be in a long save through the 2050's though!

It's been ages since I've gone beyond five or six years in a single save game, to be honest. Maybe this year, with a laptop I can carry around and play on away from power!

BTW how do you find playing with over 25 leagues @Harper?

Yeqh, most people don’t advance more than 5 years in their saves before starting a new one. I seem to be in an odd minority who plays one save from the day the game is released until the next one or even a few years ahead. I got to 2075 in fm20 and 2084 in FM16. Both experienced many crashes an hiccups but some of my fav video game time in my life. What an incredible game FM is.

5 hours ago, jessejesster said:

BTW how do you find playing with over 25 leagues @Harper?

Yeqh, most people don’t advance more than 5 years in their saves before starting a new one. I seem to be in an odd minority who plays one save from the day the game is released until the next one or even a few years ahead. I got to 2075 in fm20 and 2084 in FM16. Both experienced many crashes an hiccups but some of my fav video game time in my life. What an incredible game FM is.

It's smooth. I have all competitions set to "Senior Competitive Matches" in the detail level and I don't notice any lag on match days. My old PC laptop would lag significantly. If I was doing any multi-tasking (video streaming, message board posting, Internet shopping), there would be a video freeze or input lag when typing/navigatiing

I haven't noticed anything like that here, yet.

I get a boatload of scout reports though. If I assign scouts to a competition, I actually get reports from the competition and match days.

Edited by Harper

13 hours ago, Harper said:

@jessejesster I can't recommend it enough, especially if you are looking for something that is both portable and FM capable. My only regret is not having patience for a 16" version of this machine!

I can't stress this enough to people. 

The 13 inch Mac with the M1 chip is great value. I cannot match a 13 inch PC laptop for better value (but we will see with new Intel and AMD chips on the way).

When it comes to the 16 inch model - it's a whopping rip-off - and you can get a better PC Laptop for cheaper with the same performance (maybe not same battery life...) 

Anyway - the 16 inch Macs are very expensive for what they are.

@Smurf there is no 16 inch mac with the M1 chip!!! Maybe next year.

You are right. Thanks. For some reason I thought.

Maybe when they do come out they might be cheaper.

That being said, the 16 inch at the moment are very expensive. 

The 13 ,inch in that size range is best you can get right now with the m1 chip.

If you want larger than 13 inch I wouldnt even consider a Mac.

That'a amazing @Harper.

I can't even fathom playing with that many leagues. What is the advantage of it? Realism I'm sure.

Do you find yourself going through the stats of every league at the end of every season or do you do it just to find more wonderkids? 

It s mostly that active leagues are more accurately simulated. They are more active in the transfer market and better serve players you may have out on loan. Scouts will have more to watch on their assignments to competitions, nations, and regions.

I also think that the newgens are spread out through the active leagues. I don’t have any personal empirical evidence to support that claim. But I think there might be a bigger chance of a wonderkid from a nation outside of the Central European and South American giants when nations like Sweden, Greece, Iceland, Hungary, Croatia, and Colombia are active.

Edited by Harper

From what I'm reading the M1 MacMini is the best performer of the 3 models currently released @Smurf.

By far best in a mac. But a lot of macs were sold with U type processors, only one had the i9 9880HK which is an i9 but same performance as an i7 108750H.

Its easy for the M1 chip to be the best in any Mac. But it is one heck of a game changer for Mac.

But still their products (outside of new 13 inch M1) are very expensive. And I would always encourage to spend more wisely. Although nothing wrong with Macs, except the pricing.