FM and apple silicon

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/11/2020 at 22:03, dalglish1975 said:

Runs ok through Steam which I guess is Rosetta doing its thing.

Anything you want me to try or check specifically?

Could you do the Benchmarking tests (A to C, D as well if you're brave lol) please?  This will give us some really useful info for the Laptop/PC advice thread.

15 hours ago, ste_guerro said:

Hi Dalglish1975, thanks for having shared your experience.

One question: is the MBA running hot after 2/3 hours gaming? WHich is avg temperature achieved?

No idea what the average temperature is, but the machine is cool to the touch.

I can't imagine what you'd have to do on the Air to make it warm up. Reviewers have struggled to get the fan to turn-on on the Pro model no matter what they've been doing.

And like @craiigman says, the GPU does well too.

14 minutes ago, dalglish1975 said:

No idea what the average temperature is, but the machine is cool to the touch.

I can't imagine what you'd have to do on the Air to make it warm up. Reviewers have struggled to get the fan to turn-on on the Pro model no matter what they've been doing.

And like @craiigman says, the GPU does well too.

Thanks for your help.

Was not 100% sure if going for the Air or the Pro... air is more than enough for my usage but I was scared by extra-heat with FM. If it remains cool, now no doubt at all (even if the touchbar seems a nice thing, but not for 280Euro more).

Hi Guys,

I have some questions for the lucky M1 owners. 

what is the performance and thermals like during a 2 to 3 hour gaming session?

Also... how much ram is used during playing?

Can’t decide between the Air and the Pro and 8 or 16gb.

12 minutes ago, MoosAlbo said:

Hi Guys,

I have some questions for the lucky M1 owners. 

what is the performance and thermals like during a 2 to 3 hour gaming session?

Also... how much ram is used during playing?

Can’t decide between the Air and the Pro and 8 or 16gb.

Thermals are fine as with FM you aren’t constantly doing 1 thing for any length of time. Only time it’s gotten hot has been doing the Benchmark D test in the benchmark thread. Other than that the fans haven’t come on at all. 

I’ve had MacBooks for 10 years now, I know how hot they can get. This has not even got close to them, even during that test.

In terms of RAM I’ve not actually checked how much the game is using, have had no performance issues at all, FM or otherwise.

This is by far the best laptop I have ever had.

13” MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM

3 hours ago, MoosAlbo said:

@craiigman can you share some more thoughts on the gaming experience on the M1. Did you experience any crashes?

Not a single one so far - general experience with FM has been nothing short of amazing. I play with 2D and then 3D replays as standard, but sometimes I will do a game in 3D because it runs so flawlessly, no heat or fan noise.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

Not a single one so far - general experience with FM has been nothing short of amazing. I play with 2D and then 3D replays as standard, but sometimes I will do a game in 3D because it runs so flawlessly, no heat or fan noise.

It seems these M1 chips from Apple are a game changer for Macs. 

12 hours ago, craiigman said:

I am so excited for this -- I just ordered a brand new M1 MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

It's going to be a long two week wait until I get it, but so worth it.

I can do the benchmark tests when I get it if anyone is interested to see if upgrading the RAM makes a difference to craiigman's results.

4 hours ago, анонимный said:

I am so excited for this -- I just ordered a brand new M1 MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

It's going to be a long two week wait until I get it, but so worth it.

I can do the benchmark tests when I get it if anyone is interested to see if upgrading the RAM makes a difference to craiigman's results.

Definitly would be interested in that even though I will probably order the base model air when it is available on Amazon in my country again. 

15 minutes ago, MoosAlbo said:

Definitly would be interested in that even though I will probably order the base model air when it is available on Amazon in my country again. 

If you do get the MacBook Air, would you be kind enough to do the benchmark tests please? This sort of thing is hugely helpful when it comes to the PC and Laptop advice thread. 

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

If you do get the MacBook Air, would you be kind enough to do the benchmark tests please? This sort of thing is hugely helpful when it comes to the PC and Laptop advice thread. 

Dont know if this is any good to you https://youtu.be/CmMOJTs7Pu8. Tests start from 6 minutes. I've been won over and have purchased the air! Managed to get a deal for £830. Only catch is dispatch can take up to 30 days damn it.

5 minutes ago, davecoops said:

Dont know if this is any good to you https://youtu.be/CmMOJTs7Pu8. Tests start from 6 minutes. I've been won over and have purchased the air! Managed to get a deal for £830. Only catch is dispatch can take up to 30 days damn it.

It's interesting, but we'd still like to see actual FM benchmarks for the Air.  Knowing how it performs for FM will be a huge help.

20 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It's interesting, but we'd still like to see actual FM benchmarks for the Air.  Knowing how it performs for FM will be a huge help.

Ah, didnt know you can do specific benchmarks... hopefully mine will be here soon and if I can grasp how you do it will be happy to help out.

3 minutes ago, davecoops said:

Ah, didnt know you can do specific benchmarks... hopefully mine will be here soon and if I can grasp how you do it will be happy to help out.

This was kindly arranged by @Brother Ben.  Basically, it's a test of the game with various levels of details over a week's worth of holidaying in game - all the required saved games to download are within the thread.

It allows us to see processing times on systems for setups of game worlds with various database sizes - it's a very good indicator of performance.  And as nobody has benchmarked the new Macbook Air yet, this would be hugely helpful.  The results from the new Macbook Pro were very impressive so it will be interesting to see how the Air compares!

2 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I’m interested to see if the 16gb ram MI MacBook Pro sees any significant difference with benchmark D. Mines will be here on the 31st. I’m guessing it won’t have to work as much as the 8gb and the fan wouldn’t come on. 

I very much doubt it will have much impact on performance for FM, if any.  The RAM is more about how much stuff you can have running at any one time.  The processing speed is almost entirely down to the CPU.

Edited by kevhamster

After seeing the results @craiigman posted in the Benchmarking thread, I went out and bought my very first Apple computer. I opted for the MacBook Pro.

With this MacBook, I can comfortably play FM for a 3 hour session, unplugged.

For example last night, I played from roughly 9pm to 12am, with the following selected nations, with detail level for all nations set to "Senior Competitive Matches." My battery drained from 100% to 50% (in the white box)

image.thumb.png.4e4289dbf8cf67ded298e45bf37da110.png

image.png.e7d56c242af927d0f7fc5844a120007f.png

Browsing through Steam is a little laggy, but FM is very responsive and quick.

I miss the lack of screen real estate, particularly when it comes to the match day tablet, but I have a 27" 2k monitor that I can hook up to if I desire.

It's nice being able to sit on the couch with the missus, without wires running across the room, playing on a machine that doesn't have fans kicking on every time it needs to engage the processor. My experience with the iPhone 11 Pro Max (my first Apple product in over a decade), sort of turned my attention back to giving Apple a chance. I haven't been disappointed with the performance, yet (but it's only been five days).

I did opt for the 16GB RAM upgrade. I have not run the benchmarks, yet.

Edited by Harper

This thread is definitely bringing out the green eyed monster. I’ve got the 2016 top specced 15” MacBook Pro, including discrete graphics card and these new machines just ANNIHILATE it in performance and (more importantly, since for the most part FM isn’t too slow on mine) battery life/thermals.

Even sounds like they wipe the floor with my discrete graphics card when it comes to the 3D engine.

Want.

10 hours ago, Harper said:

After seeing the results @craiigman posted in the Benchmarking thread, I went out and bought my very first Apple computer. I opted for the MacBook Pro.

With this MacBook, I can comfortably play FM for a 3 hour session, unplugged.

For example last night, I played from roughly 9pm to 12am, with the following selected nations, with detail level for all nations set to "Senior Competitive Matches." My battery drained from 100% to 50% (in the white box)

image.thumb.png.4e4289dbf8cf67ded298e45bf37da110.png

image.png.e7d56c242af927d0f7fc5844a120007f.png

Browsing through Steam is a little laggy, but FM is very responsive and quick.

I miss the lack of screen real estate, particularly when it comes to the match day tablet, but I have a 27" 2k monitor that I can hook up to if I desire.

It's nice being able to sit on the couch with the missus, without wires running across the room, playing on a machine that doesn't have fans kicking on every time it needs to engage the processor. My experience with the iPhone 11 Pro Max (my first Apple product in over a decade), sort of turned my attention back to giving Apple a chance. I haven't been disappointed with the performance, yet (but it's only been five days).

I did opt for the 16GB RAM upgrade. I have not run the benchmarks, yet.

Steam is laggy, there’s a couple of options to turn off in the settings. I think they are smooth scrolling and disable gpu acceleration. It’s still a little buggy, but it’s much better when you turn them off.

Also make sure you go to the settings on the MacBook (not steam or FM) and change the resolution to scaled more space, then you can also zoom out within FM to get a bit more space.

Edited by craiigman

14 hours ago, Harper said:

It's nice being able to sit on the couch with the missus, without wires running across the room, playing on a machine that doesn't have fans kicking on every time it needs to engage the processor.

This is what I'm most excited about. I don't even mind having to be plugged in if I want to play a longer stint, but just the fact that I'll be able to play FM on a laptop without it heating up like an oven and fans set to full load.

Also it seems like it has the ability to play a large (journeyman-ish) database without it taking forever to skip through days. Basically what I've been looking for in a laptop all year and I'm glad I waited for the M1 release. I was considering getting a high-specced PC laptop for months, but just couldn't get over the heat and fan noise in people's reviews. 

5 hours ago, craiigman said:

Steam is laggy, there’s a couple of options to turn off in the settings. I think they are smooth scrolling and disable gpu acceleration. It’s still a little buggy, but it’s much better when you turn them off.

Also make sure you go to the settings on the MacBook (not steam or FM) and change the resolution to scaled more space, then you can also zoom out within FM to get a bit more space.

I’ll have to look into the Steam settings. Thanks for the tip.

I already scaled it to the max resolution and either play at 85 or 95%. Had to do the later on my old laptop too.

Edited by Harper

Currently waiting on my MBA 16gb to turn up in a week or so. All the things I've read in this thread are making me very very excited to play FM on it. Thanks to all who have contributed as I was a little worried after I bought it! This will be my first MB ever so this is all new to me as I've never been a massive apple person but my god those chips are too good to pass up. 

@craiigman or anyone else Mac savvy person, with regards to battery life and playing unplugged. Do you have any recommendations? If I'm able, should I stay plugged in even if I've charged to 100%? Or should I unplug at 100% and run off battery and run through charging cycles more frequently?

1 hour ago, Harper said:

@craiigman or anyone else Mac savvy person, with regards to battery life and playing unplugged. Do you have any recommendations? If I'm able, should I stay plugged in even if I've charged to 100%? Or should I unplug at 100% and run off battery and run through charging cycles more frequently?

To be honest I’m not too sure on what’s best for the long term health of the battery. I do tend to charge and unplug, however my 12” MacBook now has some battery issues after  4 years, that might be normal life span.

However if I am using with an external monitor then it will be plugged in all the time and closed. Check out: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201585

Says after 1000 cycles battery will start to drop off, so worth baring in mind.

Regarding the battery, one of the great additions to MacOS Big Sur is that now the laptop defaults to optimized battery charging where it can keep it at 80% instead of 100%. It's supposed to learn your routine and ramp up to 100% but I don't know how good it is at this. I don't know why it wouldn't just have a setting from say 50-100% and you decide how high to charge it. That being said when this works, it is phenomenal for long term lithium-ion battery life. Keeping it pegged at 100% while plugged in all the time is not at all good for these batteries long term.

I also have a Tesla (which is like driving an iPhone :cool:) so I did a lot of reading on maximizing battery life, and car also uses lithium-ion batteries. Ideally you want to keep it in the 40% range on the low end, and 70-90% on the high range. Charging it up to 100% before you know you are going on a very long drive is fine, but I time getting to 100% with when I want to leave, I don't even let it sit for a few hours at 100%. I typically leave mine charged to 70% unless I know I need more the next day, and I try not to run it below 40% unless I'm on a long drive. The software allows you to set this, it's not like I have to unplug it when it hits the magic number. It's will be great when MacBooks have that kind of control too, as opposed to having an algorithm try to guess. Tesla does not recommend charging over 90 except for extended trips. And it even has a setting where you can tell it what time you are planning to leave and it will try to time getting to 100% at that time (it usually gets there 30-60 minutes early in my experience).

For a phone it's not a huge deal, because you are probably trading it in every year or two anyway. But for a MacBook that you might want to get 5-7 years out of, I think it's important to baby the battery when you can, and try to keep it 40-80% and ramp to 100% when you know you'll be unplugging for awhile. I also don't know how the range babying I'm suggesting would work with the 1000 cycle thing. Obviously you'll go through more cycles this way, but I have a feeling you'd be in better shape anyway.

I probably know just enough to be dangerous here, if someone has more details, better info I would trust them instead!

Edited by Joey Numbaz

40 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Regarding the battery, one of the great additions to MacOS Big Sur is that now the laptop defaults to optimized battery charging where it can keep it at 80% instead of 100%. It's supposed to learn your routine and ramp up to 100% but I don't know how good it is at this. I don't know why it wouldn't just have a setting from say 50-100% and you decide how high to charge it. That being said when this works, it is phenomenal for long term lithium-ion battery life. Keeping it pegged at 100% while plugged in all the time is not at all good for these batteries long term.

Yeah, I haven't had it long enough to have a routine, though, I am not plugging it in overnight since the discharge is minimal in sleep mode. If playing in 2D is less intensive on the processing, I might switch to that.

I've gone through 9 cycles in 6 days; 1.5 cycles per day, on pace to hit 1000 cycles in a little under two years 😳 I think I did that math right.

Obviously, some of that is using the computer more than I would normally, while learning the OS and having a small portable laptop with excellent battery life for the first time. I did get AppleCare+, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned and just plow through it with reckless abandon.

Edited by Harper

Yeah, I'd be a little careful running it down all the way. If you can plug it back in for a bit when you hit 30-40% I think that would help a lot in terms of reducing cycles and not running it down too low (it's really not good to run the battery down all the way regularly), so you will be able to run it longer in 3 years on a day where you need to. That's the kind of tradeoff you are making basically.

And yeah the Apple Care+ is huge. My battery in my late 2016 MacBook Pro (bought in Feb. 2017) swelled up something fierce about a year and a half ago. I am sure running FM all day and night is what did it. You could have cooked eggs on the touchbar if I had it open while running FM on a monitor. That thing gets super hot. I had 7828 hours played on FM19 and currently 4613 on FM20 (I started FM20 in May, I like to wait for all the patches). I basically have it on 24x7, except for when I need to reboot and run it side by side with my work laptop all day. Since I play all leagues on full detail, there is a lot background simming going on.

Anyway, i brought it in, and they replaced the battery, but it would have been about $700 without Apple Care they said. Which is insane, but it is what it is.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

1 hour ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Yeah, I'd be a little careful running it down all the way. If you can plug it back in for a bit when you hit 30-40% I think that would help a lot in terms of reducing cycles and not running it down too low (it's really not good to run the battery down all the way regularly), so you will be able to run it longer in 3 years on a day where you need to. That's the kind of tradeoff you are making basically.

And yeah the Apple Care+ is huge. My battery in my late 2016 MacBook Pro (bought in Feb. 2017) swelled up something fierce about a year and a half ago. I am sure running FM all day and night is what did it. You could have cooked eggs on the touchbar if I had it open while running FM on a monitor. That thing gets super hot. I had 7828 hours played on FM19 and currently 4613 on FM20 (I started FM20 in May, I like to wait for all the patches). I basically have it on 24x7, except for when I need to reboot and run it side by side with my work laptop all day. Since I play all leagues on full detail, there is a lot background simming going on.

Anyway, i brought it in, and they replaced the battery, but it would have been about $700 without Apple Care they said. Which is insane, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I'm basically running down to 25-30% before I plug in. Been multitasking with FM in the background this evening (4ish hours) and I'm at 68% battery. 

1 hour ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Don't know much about the new M1 Macs, but I've replaced batteries myself on previous Macs and it's cheap and easy as.

For example on my MacBook Air 2013 about 2-3 years ago -- I just ordered a replacement battery (for AU$60) on eBay, which came with the screwdrivers required, watched a youtube video and did it myself in 5-10mins. 

Still use my MacBook Air 2013 today.

5 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I also have a Tesla (which is like driving an iPhone :cool:) so I did a lot of reading on maximizing battery life, and car also uses lithium-ion batteries. Ideally you want to keep it in the 40% range on the low end, and 70-90% on the high range. Charging it up to 100% before you know you are going on a very long drive is fine, but I time getting to 100% with when I want to leave, I don't even let it sit for a few hours at 100%. I typically leave mine charged to 70% unless I know I need more the next day, and I try not to run it below 40% unless I'm on a long drive. The software allows you to set this, it's not like I have to unplug it when it hits the magic number. It's will be great when MacBooks have that kind of control too, as opposed to having an algorithm try to guess. Tesla does not recommend charging over 90 except for extended trips. And it even has a setting where you can tell it what time you are planning to leave and it will try to time getting to 100% at that time (it usually gets there 30-60 minutes early in my experience).

For a phone it's not a huge deal, because you are probably trading it in every year or two anyway. But for a MacBook that you might want to get 5-7 years out of, I think it's important to baby the battery when you can, and try to keep it 40-80% and ramp to 100% when you know you'll be unplugging for awhile. I also don't know how the range babying I'm suggesting would work with the 1000 cycle thing. Obviously you'll go through more cycles this way, but I have a feeling you'd be in better shape anyway.

I probably know just enough to be dangerous here, if someone has more details, better info I would trust them instead!

Thank you for this, I will keep this in mind.

6 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

My phone (not Apple) does that when charging over night. It only charges it up all the way to 100% just before the alarm goes off. 

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

My phone (not Apple) does that when charging over night. It only charges it up all the way to 100% just before the alarm goes off. 

Yeah, iPhones started doing this with iOS 13 too (current is 14), It charges to 80% then says it will get to 100% when you wake up. It's always 100% when I wake up, but I have no idea if it's been at 100% for three minutes or three hours :)

4 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Yeah, iPhones started doing this with iOS 13 too (current is 14), It charges to 80% then says it will get to 100% when you wake up. It's always 100% when I wake up, but I have no idea if it's been at 100% for three minutes or three hours :)

Pretty sure an old Sony phone of mine did that going back a few years - I think it charged it to 80% then stopped charging - then just charged again until wakey time. 

Very handy feature, miss it on my samsung.

21 minutes ago, Damse1994 said:

Just got my MBP M1 with 16 gb memory. Just ran the benchmark A with a time of 2:00:57 mins, not too shabby. 

I'm currently waiting on a MBA with 16gb ram so expecting similar results. I'm assuming you can play with all leagues and large database fairly easily? Not too worried on 3D (replays only). 

31 minutes ago, Steffers said:

I'm currently waiting on a MBA with 16gb ram so expecting similar results. I'm assuming you can play with all leagues and large database fairly easily? Not too worried on 3D (replays only). 

I don’t know yet, haven’t played at all, just tried benchmark A for a comparison with my old MBP. 

2 hours ago, Steffers said:

That would push any computer, especially for a long-term save.

I'm interested to see how the Air performs, but the Pro was very impressive in the benchmark tests run so far.

4 hours ago, Damse1994 said:

Just got my MBP M1 with 16 gb memory. Just ran the benchmark A with a time of 2:00:57 mins, not too shabby. 

When you have the time, can you please try Benchmark B, i'm on the edge because it's the database i would like to play, and no one has yet made that benchmark with the new M1 Chip :D

15 hours ago, Damse1994 said:

Wow, *20-ish secs faster than the 8GB M1 MBP which has an impressive time as it is. **

Are you able to let us know how it performs in general after a decent session? As is heat, fan, waiting times between match days, etc? And what settings you have it set to, how big a database you have loaded, if the 3d match engine performs well, etc?

Would be great to know how it performs after at least 2 to 3 hours of playing time (which I guess would be an average-ish session for most of us?)

Mine (M1 MBP 16GB 512SSD) is due to arrive between the 16th and 23rd of December and I'm hoping to be able to start a Journeyman-ish save on it.

* EDIT: In regards to Benchmark A time - please correct me if I'm wrong craiigman but I read your time as 2:22 because that's what was put into the Combined Results spreadsheet, but then upon review I read your post as 2:02.

** EDIT: Benchmark A time has been confirmed by @craiigman as 2:02 for 8GB M1 MBP

Edited by анонимный

6 hours ago, N@sD55 said:

When you have the time, can you please try Benchmark B, i'm on the edge because it's the database i would like to play, and no one has yet made that benchmark with the new M1 Chip :D

I hope to have the time this weekend to do benchmark B and C. 

29 minutes ago, анонимный said:

Wow, *20ish secs faster than the 8gb M1 MBP which has an impressive time as it is. 

Are you able to let us know how it performs in general after a decent session? As is heat, fan, waiting times between match days, etc? And what settings you have it set to, how big a database you have loaded, if the 3d match engine performs well, etc?

Would be great to know how it performs after at least 2 to 3 hours of playing time (which I guess would be an average-ish session for most of us?)

Mine (M1 MBP 16GB 512SSD) is due to arrive between the 16th and 23rd of December and I'm hoping to be able to start a Journeyman-ish save on it.

* EDIT: In regards to Benchmark A time - please correct me if I'm wrong craiigman but I read your time as 2:22 because that's what was put into the Combined Results spreadsheet, but then upon review I read your post as 2:02 

I had a short session of an hour last night, and I’m amazed. I feel that I’m barely waiting for the processing when I hit space. The fans didn’t kick in, it didn’t heat up and the power consumption almost non existent. I don’t really play 3D so I don’t know how that performs. 

I think @craiigmanalready answered most of the questions too. 

Edited by Damse1994

11 minutes ago, Damse1994 said:

I had a short session of an hour last night, and I’m amazed. I feel that I’m barely waiting for the processing when I hit space. The fans didn’t kick in, it didn’t heat up and the power consumption almost non existent. I don’t really play 3D so I don’t know how that performs. 

That's what I was hoping to hear. 

And I can report myself on how the 3D match engine performs when I receive mine. 

1 hour ago, анонимный said:

Wow, *20ish secs faster than the 8gb M1 MBP which has an impressive time as it is. 

* EDIT: In regards to Benchmark A time - please correct me if I'm wrong craiigman but I read your time as 2:22 because that's what was put into the Combined Results spreadsheet, but then upon review I read your post as 2:02 

Was 2:02, I will let the spreadsheet person know. Might re run it this morning to double check as well. I think I done it on battery as well that one.

Haven't had time to get to B and C will see if can get them done today @N@sD55

4 hours ago, анонимный said:

3 hours ago, Damse1994 said:

I hope to have the time this weekend to do benchmark B and C. 

I think @craiigmanalready answered most of the questions too. 

Full benchmarks now done and times confirmed correct on my post:

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Have double checked and 02:02 is correct. Benchmark B - 09:23.

Appreciate you double checking benchmark A as well as doing the benchmarks for B and C.

After browsing over the other benchmark times, it's looking like the M1 MBP 13 has the best performance for a laptop (at the time of posting this).